Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sunderland v Charlton | Sat 04 Aug | 12:30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Good to see you back doing the previews FA.
    Very hard game to predict, I'll go 1-1
  • will Sky have Peter Reid and Curbs in the studio?

...probably not
  • Did KAG play up top in a two at Crawley? Or wide as part of a 3?
  • edited August 2018
    3-1, I suspect we'll catch Sunderland on a good day with a new owner and new coach. I figure we might be good for one with a moment of magic from JFC or Aribo or maybe a set piece. But if Sunderland have the right tactics they can put us under a lot of pressure as we don't really have a good way to relieve it with Taylor out and Magennis gone, and I expect the ball will come back at us a lot.

Match is on ESPN+ in the ESPN app for those in the states.

Roughly 48 left to register players and despite selling Magennis we have no signed any of the players who have been trialing with us.
  • We’ll get stuffed. 3-0.
  • Probably as unexcited as i've ever been about an opening game in my lifetime.

Don't expect much from this game (or this season) at all.

Would take a point now, as i'm expecting a 2-1 or 2-0 defeat.
  • Since relegation from the Premier League we've not exactly been high on the TV schedule wanted list (not that they wanted us that much when we were top flight) but this will be our fourth match in a row live on Sky.

Our Sky Sports form guide:

13-May-18 Shrewsbury (a) LOST 1-0
    10-May-18 Shrewsbury (h) LOST 1-0
    5-May-18 Rochdale (a) LOST 1-0
    12-Nov-16 Swindon (a) LOST 3-0
    7-May-16 Burnley (h) LOST 3-0
    13-May-16 Middlesbrough (h) WON 2-0

Inspiring, isn't it? Five straight defeats on the box, the last three by a single goal.

I can see us getting a result* and breaking that run ...

We're going to get battered and lose 3-0 as the Charlton Athletic Charitable Foundation welcomes Sunderland to the Hostel For Fallen Giants in an attempt to help them recover from back-to-back relegations.

* I never said anything about it being a good result but at least we'll stop the sequence of 1-0 defeats on TV.
  • That frontline is piss poor.
  • If we concede early, or any time in the first hour actually, I would think Sunderland will win pretty comfortably.
    Scoring first and defending a lead might get us a draw or a narrow defeat, however if it is 0-0 late on it will be anybody's game and we might get lucky and sneak one in.
    First game of the season I expect at least one very poor refereeing decision, and in front of a big crowd these things tend to go the way of the home team so that could be a variable.
    That predicted starting line up looks about as flimsy a team as we have ever put out.
  • That frontline is piss poor.

Anyone but Magennis is enough for some. They might feel differently after 10 games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Routine 2-0.

We won't muster a shot on target until the 87th minute and that will be a pea roller from one of our U15s who comes on as a substitute.
  • 4-1 loss.
  • Phillips
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Marshall Aribo Forster-Caskey Dawkins
    Taylor Grant

Maynard-Brewer, Sarr, Pratley, Maloney, Lapslie, Hackett-Fairchild, Ajose

Sunderland 1-1 Charlton Athletic
  • Charlie Wyke is set to sign for Sunderland from Bradford

Thankfully he's injured so "wont" be playing on Saturday against us
  • 3 - 0 loss.
  • Good to see this thread back, well done FA, this and LL's thread after the game have to be two of my favourite reads. Sorry but no prediction from me, do not know who is playing and at the moment my heart is not in it until the takeover goes through, (if ever?)
  • I'd be very happy if we could get just one point. Can't see it happening though.
  • I'd be very happy if we could get just one point. Can't see it happening though.

Is that your wish for Saturday or for the season?
  • Sponsored links:

• I knew it, all this takeover talk has done your head in James, I suggest you go and lie down in a dark room and stay off the CL forum until the takeover happens :smiley:
  • ross1 said:

I knew it, all this takeover talk has done your head in James, I suggest you go and lie down in a dark room and stay off the CL forum until the takeover happens :smiley:

Or doesn’t. Aaaaaaaaagh :-(
  • If we get their crowd restless like they have been we'll get a positive result.
  • If we get their crowd restless like they have been we'll get a positive result.

An early goal for us would certainly send the SAFC fans into a mini meltdown after the last few years. Sadly, however, I cannot see that happening.
  • we won't let in many goals but we won't create many chances so I'm going for a 1-0 defeat
  • Phillips
    Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Page
    Lapslie| Aribo | Forster-Caskey | Marshall
    Taylor | Grant

2-0 us. I might make the bench if Bow will let me play in trainers as I no longer have boots.
  • 1-2 to LB,s yellow & blue army.
  • JamesSeed said:

ross1 said:

I knew it, all this takeover talk has done your head in James, I suggest you go and lie down in a dark room and stay off the CL forum until the takeover happens :smiley:

Or doesn’t. Aaaaaaaaagh :-(
    I knew you couldn't stay off
  • We are going to get our arse kicked.
    3-0.