Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland v Charlton | Sat 04 Aug | 12:30pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options

Oggy Red said:

Where's HappyValley?

I'm wondering what score he'll predict?

#legend

Comfortable away win 4~0.
    You legend, Happy Valley!

I knew you wouldn't let me down. :smile:

• Options
    Will be interesting. Heart and head both say we’ll get battered.
    But....it’s a funny old game.
  • Options
    Can't see past a 5-0 defeat.
  • Options
    Making the trip up more in hope than expectation. I think Bowyer did well to paper over some significant cracks after Robinson left but this summers hollowing out of the squad will come home to roost and I genuinely think we could be comfortably beaten.

The only cause for hope is that they are basically a new team, with a new manager and might not have gelled yet.

Sunderland 3 - 1 Charlton*

*not sure I predicted a defeat all last season
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

Where's HappyValley?

I'm wondering what score he'll predict?

#legend

Comfortable away win 4~0.
    You legend, Happy Valley!

I knew you wouldn't let me down. :smile:

I forgot to mention they would all be own goals.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

My team would be...

-------------Phillips
    -Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Marshall Pratley JFC Aribo
    ----------Taylor Grant

Pratley needs to start and give us at least 60 minutes. Aribo is capable of playing wide.

Score could be anything. I'll go with a 1-1 draw.

I can also see this side playing. I think it depends on Pratley’s fitness levels as well as whether we sign anyone prior to the game, i.e the trialists.

I do think people are being too pessimistic. It’s going to be a tight affair and one I think Bowyer will make sure we aren’t too open. There are going to be some crazy scores on the opening day, I just can’t see us being one of them. Sunderland have also not had the greatest of preparations with their last game in pre-season being abandoned and they have a new team, with many of the players who have played in their pre-season now not with the club, McManaman being one.
  • Options
    Comfortable away defeat. 0-4.

Load of shat.
  • Options
    Sage said:

My team would be...

-------------Phillips
    -Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Marshall Pratley JFC Aribo
    ----------Taylor Grant

Pratley needs to start and give us at least 60 minutes. Aribo is capable of playing wide.

Score could be anything. I'll go with a 1-1 draw.

I can also see this side playing. I think it depends on Pratley’s fitness levels as well as whether we sign anyone prior to the game, i.e the trialists.

I do think people are being too pessimistic. It’s going to be a tight affair and one I think Bowyer will make sure we aren’t too open. There are going to be some crazy scores on the opening day, I just can’t see us being one of them. Sunderland have also not had the greatest of preparations with their last game in pre-season being abandoned and they have a new team, with many of the players who have played in their pre-season now not with the club, McManaman being one.
    I can see this working as Aribo likes to drift inside and Grant likes to cut in from left.
  • Options
    1:1 Sarr with a late desperate equalizer (for us...)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Did KAG play up top in a two at Crawley? Or wide as part of a 3?

He does not play for us anymore.
  • Options
    I think it will be 1-1. They will start slow and we will be all over them, second half they will come out better and get a early goal through Wyke, we will bring on Taylor late on with Sarr and get a classic smash and grab point with Taylor running up to the home fans and cupping his ears.
  • Options
    Spirited to begin with then Bauer sent off, lose 1-0.
  • Options

Spirited to begin with then Bauer sent off, lose 1-0.

You've been watching Charlton too long, Weegie. :smile:

• Options
    I think we'll win. Sunderland will reckon that they're better than us and come into the match with the wrong attitude. It'll be another Charlton false dawn but I'll enjoy it all the same.
  • Options
    Must be a press conference today surely?
  • Options

Phillips
    Solly Bauer Pearce Page
    Marshall Aribo Forster-Caskey Dawkins
    Taylor Grant

Maynard-Brewer, Sarr, Pratley, Maloney, Lapslie, Hackett-Fairchild, Ajose

Sunderland 3-0 Charlton Athletic

• Options
    Can't see any trialist signing today/tomorrow and then starting on Saturday after they were left out last weekend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Can't see any trialist signing today/tomorrow and then starting on Saturday after they were left out last weekend.

Wont they have to sign before 12noon tomorrow too if they want to be involved on Saturday?

Is irritating we cant put Dawkins on Non-Contract Terms just for this one game like we did with Bally Smart all those years ago and then go from there, it'll mean he'll only be eligible to play for one more side this season yet with the transfer window closing at the end of the month he'll be limited on where he can go until next summer anyway
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I think as we haven't got a settled midfield yet it would be best to try the 3-4-3

Dillon
    Bauer, Pearce, Sarr
    Solly, Page
    JFC / Aribo
    Marshall/ Grant
    Taylor (RHF/ Ajose if unfit)

looks solid on paper and away so might be a bit defensive but with the squad we have it will fit the personnel in available imo.
  • Options

I think as we haven't got a settled midfield yet it would be best to try the 3-4-3

Dillon
    Bauer, Pearce, Sarr
    Solly, Page
    JFC / Aribo
    Marshall/ Grant

looks solid on paper and away so might be a bit defensive but with the squad we have it will fit the personnel in available imo.

The issue i have with what is technically 5 at the back (Sols/Page as wingbacks) is that because they are not wingers you lose attacking width which means we create far less. If Marshall and Grant stay wide to compensate for this then we get overrun through the middle.

At this level you cant go far wrong with a flat 4-4-2.
  • Options

Dillon
    Bauer, Pearce, Sarr
    Solly, Page
    JFC / Aribo
    Marshall/ Grant

The issue i have with what is technically 5 at the back (Sols/Page as wingbacks) is that because they are not wingers you lose attacking width which means we create far less. If Marshall and Grant stay wide to compensate for this then we get overrun through the middle.

At this level you cant go far wrong with a flat 4-4-2.
    Its not ideal, but based on what we have to work with i think will be more solid away first game. Solly in the past can get forward given the chance and Page can, if they are told to play as high as possible and stick to it with Centre backs covering as it should be played it could work.

Although if we haven't really practiced this formation its unlikely as it would be pointless. Just my 2 pennies, dont see it happening at all.
  • Options
    I predict we will get 3! 3 chances that is!
  • Options
    edited August 2018

I predict we will get 3! 3 chances that is!

3 Centres/ restarts
  • Options

If we get their crowd restless like they have been we'll get a positive result.

An early goal for us would certainly send the SAFC fans into a mini meltdown after the last few years. Sadly, however, I cannot see that happening.
    Or the longer it stays 0-0 they will still get more impatient.
  • Options
    No that was an exclusive interview with Valley Pass I mean a proper press conference
  • Options

No that was an exclusive interview with Valley Pass I mean a proper press conference

That’s this afternoon