Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stabbings in Greenwich

Comments

• Options

rananegra said:

cabbles said:

Stabbing in middle park avenue, man critical.

I went to see my parents yesterday - they live very close to where the incident occurred - I literally walked past a few mins after it happend. The poor bloke had horrific injuries and was clearly in a bad way - so what do the general public do? - Get as close to him as possible and start taking photos and Videos - wankers. Let’s hope they catch the vermin that did this.
    Can you post yours?

Seriously, what is happening to this country?
    The thing is the paramedics are trying to treat this bloke (who was pouring with blood btw) and have to battle little chavs with their phones in their hands.
    The whole filming on mobiles really winds me up. The shit that goes around on mobiles has decentised human dignity to some extent

Same with terrorist attacks. Someone’s committing mass atrocity but we have to stop to film it so we can upload to FB. Joke
    It is scummy no doubt. But an an unintended bonus is that such footage may well make it easier for the OB to find the perpetrator.
    Unfortunately not the case in of the Eltham incident yesterday - they were even taking selfies of themselves in front of the air ambulance. It’s a crime seen yet these people were walking about through this poor geezers blood - totally contaminating the area....as well as society. The police did all they could to keep the mob under control.

As an aside I also walked past Eltham OB station yesterday - closed of course and a note saying the nearest walk on police station was........Lewisham - that’s handy.
    Defending Khan by suggesting that he is a victim of circumstance, in this case stuck with the policy to continue with the closing of Police stations, just will not wash.
    He has been elected to serve and enhance the lives of millions of London residents.
    In the face of mounting serious crime, moped robberies, stabbings, murders, the 'Mayor' should be questioning the policy of reducing Police efficiency and not aiding and abetting ever increasing Police station closures, according to a poster on here, a policy set in stone decades ago.
    If he is powerless to have any influence on policy, in this case the decline in Police efficiency, what is the point of him sitting in County Hall and being paid for maintaining a failing status quo (no 12 bar blues jokes please)
    To be fair to Khan (which I'm going to be because he's a caricature hate figure for the right these days) he is forever saying that the Met need more money. He has increased council tax to offset some of the cuts, but he's actually quite limited in what he can do, given he's a right-wing Labour politician with no natural desire to go beyond official means or engineer a confrontation with the government - the last time the head of Greater London did that the government abolished city-wide government, so while I think he's being overcautious, I can understand why.

So, he's chosen to employ coppers rather than keep open police stations. There are only two other options - raid other budgets or get more money from the Tory government. His responsibilities stretch to transport, police and fire and not much else; I think he's probably got the priorities as right as he can within the ever decreasing budget he has. Transport is barely coping; and closing fire stations is worse than closing police stations. Coppers should be mobile anyway - so a police presence in an area is not dependent on there being a nick there. Fire engines need to be close and can't be mobile in the same way. I think there should probably be more imaginative use of other public buildings by the police, such as sharing a counter for the tiny proportion of people who need to visit. But the logic of austerity is cuts and cuts and cuts - inevitably it will affect everything not just the services you don't care about.

fair enough, we'll have to disagree on this .. if the man has no 'real power', then why continue to elect 'mayors' who merely have little more than rubber stamping authority .. use the money spent on useless figurehead bureaucrats on more worthwhile things, more policemen for example
    Because the alternative is chaos.

A city the size and importance of London requires a strategic authority to have an integrated transport policy. Can you just imagine trying to get local authorities together to agree on a policy. Policing is not Something that can be organised on a borough by borough basis. Like Transport it needs strategic oversight. The Fire Authority is easier in many respects. The demographics regarding fires and incidents requiring fire attendance are well documented and can be modelled. A fire station every couple of miles, Charlton, East Greenwich, Woolwich, Plumstead and Shooters Hill are no longer essential although it does seem that the last round of cuts under the cretinous Johnson were too severe and austerity over public safety was the driving force.

• Options
    How much has the London budget from central government been cut over the years?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    fair enough, we'll have to disagree on this .. if the man has no 'real power', then why continue to elect 'mayors' who merely have little more than rubber stamping authority .. use the money spent on useless figurehead bureaucrats on more worthwhile things, more policemen for example

@ShootersHillGuru wrote .. Because the alternative is chaos.

A city the size and importance of London requires a strategic authority to have an integrated transport policy. Can you just imagine trying to get local authorities together to agree on a policy. Policing is not Something that can be organised on a borough by borough basis. Like Transport it needs strategic oversight. The Fire Authority is easier in many respects. The demographics regarding fires and incidents requiring fire attendance are well documented and can be modelled .. . A fire station every couple of miles, Charlton, East Greenwich, Woolwich, Plumstead and Shooters Hill are no longer essential although it does seem that the last round of cuts under the cretinous Johnson were too severe and austerity over public safety was the driving force.

@Lincsaddick replied .. lot of what you write makes sense .. BUT .. There IS an authority overseeing integrated transport .. TfL, administered by experts in urban transport infrastructure

Policing IS organised on a 'borough commander' basis, admittedly 'borough' is a misnomer as the structure now consists of twelve 'area command centres' … the person with overall 'command/strategic oversight' is the commissioner, supposedly at least ..
    there will always be a (justified) fear that if a politician is in charge of policing, then, of course the police will be subject to political control, for example, Johnson's 'easing' out of Ian Blair .. if this was 'political' or because of Blair's perceived incompetence is not clear

Do these services really need an ambitious political animal interfering in their operations ? .. what they do need is a committed individual to fight the government whenever cuts and financial considerations threaten public safety and security.
    I agree that given current legislation/ national governmental stranglehold on local public financing, there is only so much that a 'Mayor' can do .. that still begs the question, if the mayorial role is becoming less and less relevant, why bother having one, except as window dressing, a veneer of democratic oversight of rapidly disappearing 'public services'

anyway, we digress too far from the grief, upset and fear caused by stabbings and violence on suburban streets
  • Options

anyway, we digress too far from the grief, upset and fear caused by stabbings and violence on suburban streets

Agreed.

• Options
    OK not a stabbing but it seems the Father of the three year old child in the acid attack in Worcester has been arrested. If so it's even more sickening, if that's possible.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/revealed-three-year-old-acid-victims-father-is-being-quizzed-over-attack-as-fifth-man-is-arrested-amid-claim-boys-eastern-european-mother-was-intended-target-after-bitter-break-up/ar-AAAlo07?ocid=ientp

and yes I do realise it's the Daily Fail.
  • Options
    The reason Khan has no real power is because the Conservative government were shit scared of what Red Ken would do with real power if elected.

So while they finally recognised the need for a devolved strategic decision making body in london agter abolishing the GLC sone years ago, they tried to make the role of London’s mayor limited.

Could do with revisiting the position really.
  • Options

Stabbing in middle park avenue, man critical.

I went to see my parents yesterday - they live very close to where the incident occurred - I literally walked past a few mins after it happend. The poor bloke had horrific injuries and was clearly in a bad way - so what do the general public do? - Get as close to him as possible and start taking photos and Videos - wankers. Let’s hope they catch the vermin that did this.
    Can you post yours?

Seriously, what is happening to this country?
    The thing is the paramedics are trying to treat this bloke (who was pouring with blood btw) and have to battle little chavs with their phones in their hands.
    When mobiles first become popular, Police tried stopping people recording incidents like terror attacks, RTAs etc but soon realised that they were a very valuable source of evidence.
    Now although still discouraged, the Police are grateful of the clips that turn up, but would prefer them not to be plastered all over the internet.
  • Options
    Stabbing in Eltham high st this morning.
    Two youths on a scooter.
    Chaos at the moment.
  • Options
    Another little incident in Greenwich .. never forget, black lives matter

Four-way machete brawl in broad daylight leaves man fighting for his life (msn.com)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Machete fight in broad daylight in Hyde Park on Tuesday. Family’s enjoying the sunshine in the park. Teenager got put down and the baying crowd of another 100 teenagers screaming and taking videos on their phone. Was fucking grim.
  • Options
    Machete fight in broad daylight in Hyde Park on Tuesday. Family’s enjoying the sunshine in the park. Teenager got put down and the baying crowd of another 100 teenagers screaming and taking videos on their phone. Was fucking grim.
    The filming of this stuff just sums up the modern world - utterly f***ing mindless.

The Greenwich incident took place near where I live and we now have a Section 60 in place - stop and search.
  • Options
    Yes I saw both videos, absolutely sickening.
    So much for locking up the scum with knives.
    One was wielding a foot long machete.
    Our police are far from perfect, but imagine having to deal with that.
  • Options
    Have to use stop and search.
  • Options
    Wacist though init
  • Options
    A ticket inspector was stabbed at Bromley South this week as well.

Coming back from Brighton on Tuesday, a bloke refused to wear a mask before going through the barrier.
    He became massively aggressive and abusive and then the police came over and had to restrain him.
    Then another fella came over and starting filming.
    We got on the train and a load of foul mouthed, badly behaved teenagers were cussing the police, we got up and moved.
  • Options
    Wacist though init
    Thank you Einstein.
  • Options
    On a different level .. recently on one of the C5 'Cops in Action' programmes, a copper in Kings Lyn was trying to keep the peace after a pub brawl spilled outside. One of the combatants ran off to about 50 yards from the scene. As soon as the copper was distracted he's (the runner away) charged at him full pelt and just smacked him plumb on the jaw. The copper went down with what turned out to be a fractured jaw. Luckily some of the other pub brawlers saw sense and stepped in to protect and help the young copper.

The point ?.. almost unbelievably when the assailant was eventually up in court, he was FINED £250 given 60 hours community service. No jail, no suspended sentence. As @Covered End indicates, the Police have a tough job that is getting tougher. The least they can expect is some help from the Courts. 
    Some of the stuff the police have to deal with is pretty horrific - they need backing and support from politicians. 
  • Options
    On a different level .. recently on one of the C5 'Cops in Action' programmes, a copper in Kings Lyn was trying to keep the peace after a pub brawl spilled outside. One of the combatants ran off to about 50 yards from the scene. As soon as the copper was distracted he's (the runner away) charged at him full pelt and just smacked him plumb on the jaw. The copper went down with what turned out to be a fractured jaw. Luckily some of the other pub brawlers saw sense and stepped in to protect and help the young copper.

The point ?.. almost unbelievably when the assailant was eventually up in court, he was FINED £250 given 60 hours community service. No jail, no suspended sentence. As @Covered End indicates, the Police have a tough job that is getting tougher. The least they can expect is some help from the Courts. 
    Some of the stuff the police have to deal with is pretty horrific - they need backing and support from politicians. 
    they also need support from the public, like when the Fishmonger's Hall maniac was brought down by 'civilians' one of whom, soooo ironically was a prisoner out on licence .. though of course it takes immense courage to tackle a knife wielding piece of rubbish when your own welfare is not at stake
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

they also need support from the public, like when the Fishmonger's Hall maniac was brought down by 'civilians' one of whom, soooo ironically was a prisoner out on licence .. though of course it takes immense courage to tackle a knife wielding piece of rubbish when your own welfare is not at stake
    The Greenwich stabbing/fight is literally a hundred yards away from where I live. Thoroughly depressing that weapons like this are used and how it has become normalised.

In the short term stop and search is the only solution and we have to stop glorifying violence. It seems a loss of basic humanity when people stand and film this stuff.
  • Options

The Greenwich stabbing/fight is literally a hundred yards away from where I live. Thoroughly depressing that weapons like this are used and how it has become normalised.

In the short term stop and search is the only solution and we have to stop glorifying violence. It seems a loss of basic humanity when people stand and film this stuff.
    I'm presuming this is all to do with dealers fighting over their territory.
  • Options
    Some grim scenes this week and it’s only going to get worse in Khan’s London. I feel for the first responders who have to clean this mess up. 
  • Options
    Unfortunately a vast majority of stabbings and assaults go unpublished in the press or even recorded.
    Many many “victims” don’t want anything done and remain silent. Witnesses don’t want to get involved.
    The Police can’t deal with it if people won’t report it.
  • Options

Is this the one in the peninsula on Wednesday? Just round the corner from me - maybe 200 yards. We must be neighbours.

Really strange because its a nice part of a nice development. I was walking parallel to it alongside the green with my girlfriend as the air ambulance landed. 4.30 in the afternoon on a lovely sunny day, 
    People sunbathing and kids playing in the park. All the while a machete fight us going on just the other side of a flat block.
  • Options

Is this the one in the peninsula on Wednesday? Just round the corner from me - maybe 200 yards. We must be neighbours.

Really strange because its a nice part of a nice development. I was walking parallel to it alongside the green with my girlfriend as the air ambulance landed. 4.30 in the afternoon on a lovely sunny day, 
    People sunbathing and kids playing in the park. All the while a machete fight us going on just the other side of a flat block.
    I live near the ecology park and was walking back from North Greenwich when I noticed the air ambulance. As I neared my home there were police everywhere and the road was sealed off which it was until yesterday.
    I had no idea what was going on initially.

It seems surreal that this stuff is going on in broad daylight. Seems to be happening across London.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I wonder if because it is a nice area with a lot of  well paid young people living there a drug supply turf war is going on?
  • Options
    Some grim scenes this week and it’s only going to get worse in Khan’s London. I feel for the first responders who have to clean this mess up. 
    Curious to know what your solution is? The only weapon the police have at present is a section 60 which allows stop and search but their resources are limited.

Knives are in circulation across the country so it's not just a London problem. 
  • Options
    I wonder if because it is a nice area with a lot of  well paid young people living there a drug supply turf war is going on?
    Drugs are sold everywhere and dealers are ruthless so it's a possibility. As long as people support the trade it will continue.

I don't know what the fight was about but it's a grim situation.