Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stabbings in Greenwich

Comments

• Options
    @Greenie

Its very hard to build an argument against anything youve posted.
  • Options
    Anyone found guilty of stabbing someone else should be subject to death by a thousand cuts
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Anyone found guilty of stabbing someone else should be subject to death by a thousand cuts

Once stabbed someone in the ribs with a compass. Accidentally of course.

• Options

@Greenie

Sometimes I think, how the hell did we get to where we are now?
    Whatever, something needs to be done.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Greenie said:

@Greenie

Sometimes I think, how the hell did we get to where we are now?
    Whatever, something needs to be done.
    I was astonished at the level of drug taking (spice) mostly available to inmates at Durham Jail and the complete inability of the staff to either control the prisoners getting it or the inability to find it once its in the system. The prisoners have no respect for anything that they can be punished. They literally run the prison with the staff keeping a lid on things and doing the best they can. Yes. Something needs to change.

• Options

I've worked on projects with a mother who had the horrific scenario of having her son killed due to knife crime. I also met the surgeon who tried to save him. Interestingly he (the surgeon) said he had dealt with many stabbings and had initially tried hard to think of a medicinal solution to help save more people. He ultimately came to the conclusion that the only cure was preventing it happening in the first place.

That's where the project I worked on came in, as it was something positive for youngsters to spend their time doing during the holidays that would help lead them down the right path. For me it is therefore just as important to invest in positive activities for young people to engage in, as it is police on the streets.

There is also a case to be made for "exam factory" type schools to be challenged on developing children more socially. And that's where it can become political.

Anyway, as has been said for many years, my ultimate point is you've got to keep kids busy, especially boys, to keep them out of trouble.

Finally, when I sat in a recent police workshop they made a very good point to the children - don't worry about looking soft. Eg if someone wants to push in/take your seat on a bus/bash into you/cut you up on a pavement/shout obscenities at you etc, then just smile, ignore, apologise, walk away or diffuse the situation with friendliness. There is no point getting into an argument over it, as sadly that has lead to multiple fatalities. Be the bigger person etc. - something I've told myself and my own kids numerous times since!

ACE's (Adverse Childhood Experiences) and the biological impact of early trauma predispose those affected towards long term ill risk. I absolutely agree that all the talk of policing, harsh penalties etc is only firefighting and does nothing to resolve the direction of travel. Listen to Leroy Logan, listen to Jim Sporleder. Get involved yourself in education about ACE's and trauma informed practice. Watch the trailer for Resilience, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We2BqmjHN0k

https://www.blackburn.gov.uk/Pages/aces.aspx

https://www.courtinnovation.org/publications/trauma-informed-approach-reducing-youth-violence

https://www.opendemocracy.net/transformation/melissa-hellman/town-that-adopted-trauma-informed-care-and-saw-decrease-in-crime-and-

Happening in this country now. Centrally funded in Wales and Scotland but not England where government is engaged in sticking its head up its arse.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Broadening the discussion I realise but last night I watched a tv program called “Prison”. In this case Durham Jail.

I was absolutely depressed just watching the antics and demeanour and obvious lack of education and social inclusion these people exhibited.

We’ve managed to breed a completely feral underclass that will suck the lifeblood out of normal society. Truly truly depressing.

I felt a lot of sympathy with the Prison Officers swimming against the tide of both resources and the scum they were looking after.

Sounds like my other half's experiences/observations while working in pupil referral units. The violent underclass we've created in this country is shocking and no amount of counselling/training schemes/coaching is going to make any real difference going forward. The only effective solution will involve identifying parents who's children are likely to become violent thugs and either taking their kids away early on to be brought up properly (not exactly been a roaring success up to now) or pay them not to have any in the first place (probably the most cost effective benefit our society could introduce but the shitstorm it would set off makes it a non starter).

These threads are always so depressing doesn't anyone have any positive anecdotes?
  • Options
    i think the answer is quite simple as far as crime is concerned

anyone with desire to commit a crime will weigh up the balance of can i get away with it and if i dont whats the punishment

increase the chances of getting caught and increase the punishment..even a bad parent can get their kids to understand that
  • Options
    lolwray said:

i think the answer is quite simple as far as crime is concerned

anyone with desire to commit a crime will weigh up the balance of can i get away with it and if i dont whats the punishment

increase the chances of getting caught and increase the punishment..even a bad parent can get their kids to understand that

Agree.

You need to copy in the party of law and order into that. They have decimated the police service and the prison service.

• Options
    Leuth said:

Really, what these kids need is a lot of therapy

Ahhh, bless them.

• Options
    Addickted said:

Leuth said:

Ahhh, bless them.

what these kids need are strong deterrents and their victims justice
  • Options
    lolwray said:

Addickted said:

Leuth said:

Ahhh, bless them.

what these kids need are strong deterrents and their victims justice
    The gang round our way need strong detergents.
  • Options
    It's not rocket science, so what our governments can't grasp is just infuriating.
    Let's see how other countries solve the crime problem? Oh yes, more police. What do the current shower do? Increase budgets but cut numbers. Dear lord.

Japan’s crime rate hits record low as number of thefts plummets
    JAN 18, 2018

The number of recorded crimes in Japan continued to fall in 2017, hitting a record low of 915,111 on the back of a sharp drop in thefts, preliminary police data showed Thursday.
    The overall number of cases has consistently declined in Japan after hitting a peak of 2.85 million in 2002, with the government stepping up efforts to tackle crime by boosting police numbers and widening the use of security cameras.
    In 2016 the figure dropped below the 1 million mark for the first time since the end of World War II, to 996,120.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018

It's not rocket science, so what our governments can't grasp is just infuriating.
    Let's see how other countries solve the crime problem? Oh yes, more police. What do the current shower do? Increase budgets but cut numbers. Dear lord.

JAN 18, 2018

The number of recorded crimes in Japan continued to fall in 2017, hitting a record low of 915,111 on the back of a sharp drop in thefts, preliminary police data showed Thursday.
    The overall number of cases has consistently declined in Japan after hitting a peak of 2.85 million in 2002, with the government stepping up efforts to tackle crime by boosting police numbers and widening the use of security cameras.
    In 2016 the figure dropped below the 1 million mark for the first time since the end of World War II, to 996,120.

No doubting that increasing police numbers helps to lower crime rates but Japan is a very special case in that it is virtually a mono-cultural nation with fundamentally different societal structures.

Policing crime in the UK with its multiple ethnic communities and the significant poverty levels contained within them is a very different kettle of fish indeed.

That’s before you take into account the fact that the Japanese, for cultural reasons, are much less likely to have broken homes than western families, and you have another reason why their social structures are so different to ours.
    Agreed, thats why their rates are so low, but the key point is that to decrease them further, their solution - and there are examples all around the globe - is to employ more coppers.

It's different policing, but crime still goes down if you employ more rozzers.

Which produced results there and in just about every other country (with whatever crime rate - eg miniscule crime rates in Sweden were reduced with more police, Dubai, Iceland, New York Singapore etc etc) that takes such action.

So why don't we?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

The politics behind cutting police numbers and budgets is simple. The people in charge represent the interests of people with large amounts of money, in low crime areas. Taxing them more is asking them to pay money to subsidise crime prevention in areas most of them will never go, and - in the majority of cases - don't even know exist. Until crime hits them (ie the local turds on the council estates that the likes of us grow up on start turning up and robbing their gaffs and cars) their paymasters in government will continue to cut police numbers. Simple.

This is why for all of its many perceived drawbacks gentrification of areas can have benefits. Getting wealthier busy middle class people moving in as stakeholders who will take an interest in their areas and petition for and fund improved public services which will ultimately benefit all locals (on the proviso they aren't priced or socially cleansed out of the area like the Heygate at the elephant)

Limitations being that sort of thing is likely limited to cosmopolitan cities like London and sink estates in unfashionable areas outside such cities won't have wealthy people flocking to them.
  • Options

The politics behind cutting police numbers and budgets is simple. The people in charge represent the interests of people with large amounts of money, in low crime areas. Taxing them more is asking them to pay money to subsidise crime prevention in areas most of them will never go, and - in the majority of cases - don't even know exist. Until crime hits them (ie the local turds on the council estates that the likes of us grow up on start turning up and robbing their gaffs and cars) their paymasters in government will continue to cut police numbers. Simple.

This is why for all of its many perceived drawbacks gentrification of areas can have benefits. Getting wealthier busy middle class people moving in as stakeholders who will take an interest in their areas and petition for and fund improved public services which will ultimately benefit all locals (on the proviso they aren't priced or socially cleansed out of the area like the Heygate at the elephant)

Limitations being that sort of thing is likely limited to cosmopolitan cities like London and sink estates in unfashionable areas outside such cities won't have wealthy people flocking to them.
    When the middle classes move in, where do the previous residents go? It's not solving the problem, it's moving it.

Threads like this make me so glad I left London, I have a child on the way and just can't imagine ever moving 'home'
  • Options

When the middle classes move in, where do the previous residents go? It's not solving the problem, it's moving it.

Threads like this make me so glad I left London, I have a child on the way and just can't imagine ever moving 'home'
    Congratulations
  • Options

For ordinary people living ordinary lives London is still one of the best and greatest cities on earth.

Don’t get me wrong it has problems but all big cities do. Don’t base your opinion on the Daily Mail headlines.

• Options
    edited July 2018

For ordinary people living ordinary lives London is still one of the best and greatest cities on earth.

Don’t get me wrong it has problems but all big cities do. Don’t base your opinion on the Daily Mail headlines.

I used to find it a beautiful wonderful place

but with a teenage son and fast growing little ones i find it a terrifying and horrible souless lawless shit hole
  • Options

Oddly The Daily Mail isn't sold so much over here, so I imagine it influences you far more than me, I base my opinions on talking to friends and what I've seen during trips back.

There's no way I'd let my wife walk from my mum and dads place (Charlton) to the local shop, so whilst I agree London is one of The greatest cities on earth, it's not somewhere I'd want to live anymore.
  • Options

JAN 18, 2018

No doubting that increasing police numbers helps to lower crime rates but Japan is a very special case in that it is virtually a mono-cultural nation with fundamentally different societal structures.

Policing crime in the UK with its multiple ethnic communities and the significant poverty levels contained within them is a very different kettle of fish indeed.

That’s before you take into account the fact that the Japanese, for cultural reasons, are much less likely to have broken homes than western families, and you have another reason why their social structures are so different to ours.
    Agreed, thats why their rates are so low, but the key point is that to decrease them further, their solution - and there are examples all around the globe - is to employ more coppers.

It's different policing, but crime still goes down if you employ more rozzers.

Which produced results there and in just about every other country (with whatever crime rate - eg miniscule crime rates in Sweden were reduced with more police, Dubai, Iceland, New York Singapore etc etc) that takes such action.

So why don't we?
    Because there's no personal money to be made in a public expenditure. it's in certain MP's and their friends interests to keep running things down and making sure their media lackies push out any bad publicity, so they can slowly privatise parts of it and make money themselves. Same as they're doing with the NHS.