Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stabbings in Greenwich

Comments

• edited July 2018
    If we want more police someone has to pay for it, I can imagine the outcry if the government (what ever colour) increased income tax by 2p or put VAT on food like a lot of EU countries to pay for it the same with the NHS. You get what you pay for.
  • Posting this again as everyone ignored it but people want solutions and keep saying we need more police.

Would this not help, even if it doesn’t change the world?

The suggestion that we don’t have enough police is insane. Look at the amount of police at football and the amount of football games all over the Country nearly every day.

What’s more important?

1. The occasional ruck at football which very very rarely tragically ends in death or serious injury. In fact, knowing they can actually get at each other and get hurt would deter many anyway.

Or

2. kids being stabbed to death every single week?

Ease of the football a bit, let CCTV take care of that, as it already does very well. Get the more important issue in order and then revert if need be.

No? Why not? Because we are and will forever be the easy target scum and nothing will ever change that. Tragic.

agreed .. more Police presence might not change attitudes amongst the criminal class but in all probability would make them more wary and cautious .. of course the knack is to let the police get on with their job with the minimum of political and/or do gooder interference
  • Dansk_Red said:

If we want more police someone has to pay for it, I can imagine the outcry if the government (what ever colour) increased income tax by 2p or put VAT on food like a lot of EU countries to pay for it the same with the NHS. You get what you pay for.

this is interesting .. privatised neighbourhood watch with truncheons and guns

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Patrol_Special_Police
  • Daggs said:

DRAddick said:

Daggs said:

The majority of stabbing victims in London are Black kids. The majority of stabbing attackers are Black kids.
    When the police attempt to stop and search Black kids, they are branded racist.
    Some day Black society will have to wake up to reality.

I know these facts will upset the lefty pinko snowflake section of Charlton life. But someday you will have to wake up to reality to.

Throw your insults at me as much as you like, they will not change facts.

I note that you haven't actually made a comment on this thread against the stabbings, just a general social one. I can only assume then, going by your very own logic in a previous thread, that you condone people stabbing others and condone people being seriously hurt and killed? I for one think you condoning such behaviour and it's consequences is disgusting.
    Oh do stop talking your absolute bollocks pal, you make yourself look a total twat.
    Just lowering myself to your level, pal. Didn't expect you to acknowledge your hypocrisy and nonsense.
  • I've worked on projects with a mother who had the horrific scenario of having her son killed due to knife crime. I also met the surgeon who tried to save him. Interestingly he (the surgeon) said he had dealt with many stabbings and had initially tried hard to think of a medicinal solution to help save more people. He ultimately came to the conclusion that the only cure was preventing it happening in the first place.

That's where the project I worked on came in, as it was something positive for youngsters to spend their time doing during the holidays that would help lead them down the right path. For me it is therefore just as important to invest in positive activities for young people to engage in, as it is police on the streets.

There is also a case to be made for "exam factory" type schools to be challenged on developing children more socially. And that's where it can become political.

Anyway, as has been said for many years, my ultimate point is you've got to keep kids busy, especially boys, to keep them out of trouble.

Finally, when I sat in a recent police workshop they made a very good point to the children - don't worry about looking soft. Eg if someone wants to push in/take your seat on a bus/bash into you/cut you up on a pavement/shout obscenities at you etc, then just smile, ignore, apologise, walk away or diffuse the situation with friendliness. There is no point getting into an argument over it, as sadly that has lead to multiple fatalities. Be the bigger person etc. - something I've told myself and my own kids numerous times since!
  • A visit to a morgue to see people who had been stabbed or shot might grab their attention.

Or a visit to their school from a convicted murderer prepared to tell it like it is.

Good idea, but there are simply not enough Millwall fans out there to do the job,
  • I agree you need to go to their homes because a lot of these kids doing the stabbing don't go to school so you wont find them there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Has anyone seen the US TV show 'Beyond Scared Straight'?

Something like that may work. Literally scare the living sh*t out of them whilst they're young.

No need to screen it on TV though.

It may see less of these little scumbags using their faux cloak of victimhood as justification for their behaviour.
  • Rather than sniping at each other we should actually harness the great diverse minds on this forum to actually try and come up with a solution. Perhaps if left and right and all in between stopped taking immediate polarised positions in society we could all collectively solve many of the world's ills. Who knows.

My tuppence worth

-More police, and better funding
    -Male role models and particularly positive male roles models
    -Sports and activities that build self esteem and release controlled aggression and boost mental health such as boxing and football, rugby or even non sports activities
    -Stop blaming each other and work together to solve it
    -Decriminalisation of drugs
    -Many recreational users of drugs may reconsider the use of drugs if they stop to think about the supply chain and the business it creates and misery it brings here and abroad. No illicit drug trade no rich criminals profiting and no recruiting of youngsters who fall into that life (perfectly demonstrated in The Wire)
    - Step back from political correctness and have real honest conversations about the root causes of this and stop tiptoeing around issues whilst children continue to kill each other against the backdrop of empty rhetoric from completely removed politicians. This country stood up to and defeated Nazism. We can deal with this with less hand wringing and more action.
    - Serious prison sentences for those inflicting damage to others with knives
    - Education from a young young age

Right I'm off to heal the world and sing kumbya

Agree with a lot of what you say but do we have politicians willing to invest the resources required. Drugs and gangs have to be dealt with and communities drowning in crime need to make sure their young people are not dragged into it - the less options there are the more attractive crime is.

A lot of recreational drug users aren't willing to address all the crime etc behind the drug trade.
    Imagine what could of been done and set in place with the money from the willy waving month that was London 2012
    Can’t let you have that one mate

What we should have done was built on the euthoria that was 2012 and enhanced and grabbed the moment

Sport is truly a fantastic way to get the kids interested and to believe they have life choices and a future without having to just take steel and stab

The issue starts at home and ends in jail

To solve the problem we need to go to the homes and understand what Is driving this behaviour

It’s a parental issue primarily and then becomes a social one

The issue is we are two going on three generations of kids who have had kids and a large % abdicate their responsibility either by leaving normally the male or the female focusing on her life not that of the child

It needs so many areas to resolve and fix that unfortunately there will never be a resolution
    Im talking about where the money could of been used mate. Billions spent on a temporary event when it could of been used much better. Think of the extra policing a tenth of that could of provided and still be providing. I don’t think a load of kids on an estate give a shit about horse dressage in Westminster. I’m not seeing much for the £8bn spent.
  • Rather than sniping at each other we should actually harness the great diverse minds on this forum to actually try and come up with a solution. Perhaps if left and right and all in between stopped taking immediate polarised positions in society we could all collectively solve many of the world's ills. Who knows.

My tuppence worth

-More police, and better funding
    -Male role models and particularly positive male roles models
    -Sports and activities that build self esteem and release controlled aggression and boost mental health such as boxing and football, rugby or even non sports activities
    -Stop blaming each other and work together to solve it
    -Decriminalisation of drugs
    -Many recreational users of drugs may reconsider the use of drugs if they stop to think about the supply chain and the business it creates and misery it brings here and abroad. No illicit drug trade no rich criminals profiting and no recruiting of youngsters who fall into that life (perfectly demonstrated in The Wire)
    - Step back from political correctness and have real honest conversations about the root causes of this and stop tiptoeing around issues whilst children continue to kill each other against the backdrop of empty rhetoric from completely removed politicians. This country stood up to and defeated Nazism. We can deal with this with less hand wringing and more action.
    - Serious prison sentences for those inflicting damage to others with knives
    - Education from a young young age

Right I'm off to heal the world and sing kumbya

Agree with a lot of what you say but do we have politicians willing to invest the resources required. Drugs and gangs have to be dealt with and communities drowning in crime need to make sure their young people are not dragged into it - the less options there are the more attractive crime is.

A lot of recreational drug users aren't willing to address all the crime etc behind the drug trade.
    Imagine what could of been done and set in place with the money from the willy waving month that was London 2012
    Can’t let you have that one mate

What we should have done was built on the euthoria that was 2012 and enhanced and grabbed the moment

Sport is truly a fantastic way to get the kids interested and to believe they have life choices and a future without having to just take steel and stab

The issue starts at home and ends in jail

To solve the problem we need to go to the homes and understand what Is driving this behaviour

It’s a parental issue primarily and then becomes a social one

The issue is we are two going on three generations of kids who have had kids and a large % abdicate their responsibility either by leaving normally the male or the female focusing on her life not that of the child

It needs so many areas to resolve and fix that unfortunately there will never be a resolution
    Im talking about where the money could of been used mate. Billions spent on a temporary event when it could of been used much better. Think of the extra policing a tenth of that could of provided and still be providing. I don’t think a load of kids on an estate give a shit about horse dressage in Westminster. I’m not seeing much for the £8bn spent.
    Im sure I remember reading that we made a profit from the Olympics, could be wrong though.
  • Has anyone seen the US TV show 'Beyond Scared Straight'?

Something like that may work. Literally scare the living sh*t out of them whilst they're young.

It may see less of these little scumbags using their faux cloak of victimhood as justification for their behaviour.

Yeah, childhood trauma is a brilliant way to ensure they don't grow up to be fuck-ups!
  • Leuth said:

Has anyone seen the US TV show 'Beyond Scared Straight'?

Yeah, childhood trauma is a brilliant way to ensure they don't grow up to be fuck-ups!
    Source: Dexter.
  • 20,000 less police since 2009 means criminals have less people trying to catch them - and therefore their 'job' is easier.
  • Fewer police and fewer people :)
  • damn

Sorry Super Eddie but that's about the only thing that hits my pedant bone!
  • Sponsored links:

• JWADDICK said:

damn

Sorry Super Eddie but that's about the only thing that hits my pedant bone!
    I shall leave it unedited, so it continues to niggle!

• I shall leave it unedited, so it continues to niggle!

You sir, are a cad and a bounder :)
  • Leuth said:

Do you have any evidence to support your woke like alluding that any of the little shits that appeared on the programme have suffered trauma? Or is it you, yet again, virtue signalling out of a self imposed martyrized sense of righteousness?
    “Scaring the shit” out of children is about as close to the notion of trauma as it gets and qualifies on every level.

• Leuth said:

Do you have any evidence to support your woke like alluding that any of the little shits that appeared on the programme have suffered trauma? Or is it you, yet again, virtue signalling out of a self imposed martyrized sense of righteousness?
    “Scaring the shit” out of children is about as close to the notion of trauma as it gets and qualifies on every level.

I see it more as "scaring the shit out of potential murderers".

Each to their own, though. Just let the kids run feral and moan about it on social media, whilst at the same time shooting down anyone that doesn't suggest we wrap the little mites up in cotton wool and blame anything other than the criminals themselves.
  • Making kids viscerally aware of their responsibilities at an early age is probably good. Giving them actual trauma is not. How do people become violent criminals? A combination of factors, usually, but the common factor would seem to be a troubled upbringing. Obviously with these kids, the damage has already been done, but I don't think giving children a massive scare is really the way forward. It feels like a very American solution
  • Evidence? no? okay.
  • edited July 2018

Leuth said:

I see it more as "scaring the shit out of potential murderers".

Each to their own, though. Just let the kids run feral and moan about it on social media, whilst at the same time shooting down anyone that doesn't suggest we wrap the little mites up in cotton wool and blame anything other than the criminals themselves.
    Im all for educating or re education of these little shits and if you saw my post earlier on the thread i think that education ought to include getting the truth straight from a convicted murderer who can emphasise that a life in prison is not as glam as they think it might be. That would scare me. What I dont see as acceptable is as was quoted “scaring the shit” out of them.

At present it would seem that gang culture and its consequences are more attractive to some kids than the fear of any sanction. We must redress that imbalance and the only way is through education.

• I guess it depends what you mean by 'scaring the shit out of them'

Really, what these kids need is a lot of therapy