Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Pratley (Page 22 - Signed for Leyton Orient)

Comments

• Options
    For me Pratley will always encapsulate everything that was good about a Lee Bowyer team, and everything that was bad.

No one can question his desire, or when he was in that CDM role, his ability to read the game and make timely interceptions and tackles. We've seen on many occasion him completely nullifying oppositions midfield threat. 

However, especially towards the end of LBs reign, I felt we played some of our worst football with an over reliance on Pratley (not his fault) to have to link up play. 
  • Options
    For me Pratley will always encapsulate everything that was good about a Lee Bowyer team, and everything that was bad.

No one can question his desire, or when he was in that CDM role, his ability to read the game and make timely interceptions and tackles. We've seen on many occasion him completely nullifying oppositions midfield threat. 

However, especially towards the end of LBs reign, I felt we played some of our worst football with an over reliance on Pratley (not his fault) to have to link up play. 
    It was hard to watch at the end, but then I think that was a lot to do with Bowyer having lost control of everything on the pitch in general.  It’s not a criticism as either.  Both should be thanked for all their hard work over the time they gave us.  I agree with you that the two seemed to symbolize everything about the team that I hated last season.  Bowyer would play him every game, we were crying out for more creative football, and Pratley couldn’t give it to us.  

I am 100% thankful for everything they both gave, but I am grateful we moved Pratley on and Bowyer chose to leave. Sometimes things just run their course.  I hope they both go onto to have a good next step in their careers 
  • Options
    Great player with great committment to the Club.
     Model Professional and absolute Gentleman too.  Good luck Darren!
  • Options
    end of an era....thank god
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Redhenry said:
    end of an era....thank god
    Generally what most have said, but with more elaborate wording. 
  • Options
    Have the club released a list of players who have not had their contracts  renewed yet?
  • Options

This is an excellent post.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    My favourite Pratley performance was the one where he man marked the Milton Keynes lad out of the game. (I think it was MKD?).
    It’s always good to have an experienced pro around the place, and I think he’ll be missed on the training ground. 
    Are you sure it was against MKD if he marked a Milton Keynes player out of the game? - Could have been Oxford ;) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    My favourite Pratley performance was the one where he man marked the Milton Keynes lad out of the game. (I think it was MKD?).
    It’s always good to have an experienced pro around the place, and I think he’ll be missed on the training ground. 
    Are you sure it was against MKD if he marked a Milton Keynes player out of the game? - Could have been Oxford ;) 
    Not sure. Memory like a sieve for recent matches. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I think we should be after David Friedman as a replacement then...... 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I wish him well but with Gunter and Watson having one more season, Darren Pratley had come to the end of his stay at Cafc. Too many seniors in our squad. 

He found his form at the Business end of our promotion season when his experience was enormous and the Donny goal at the Valley in the semi final saved our bacon as he scored the vital second goal.

It felt at times as if he was on a bonus if he got a yellow card but Watson and Chuks seem the same.

I don't see why he won't get a League 1 club who want an enforcer.

Charlton need replacements for Prats, Shinnie, JFC, and Millar in midfield and out wide.

Morgan and Gilbey showed what energy and legs can give you we now need some top recruitments to take us on from this season. 

We need to have players that can get us into at least 2nd place not trying to grab 6th place in League 1.

The ambition of Thomas Sandgaard and Nigel Adkins is straight promotion in 21/22 so I wonder if anyone will be leaving early by mutual consent? 
  • Options
    Good luck prat’s on your next venture, you never gave less than 100% and you had the heart of a lion.You was the perfect example of a destroyer and true warrior,all the best.
  • Options
  • Options
    Did well for us. Wish him all the best for the future. Personally would rather keep him and lose Watson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shame to see him go but he must've had half an idea that all the senior pro's weren't going to be kept on - really it was either him or Watson and it would appear the latter triggered another year in his contract, surely he saw the writing on the wall
  • Options
    Seems a bit stung, which you can't particularly blame him for. I'd take him over Watson definitely, as I think the majority of players would. Hopefully another team will come in for him.
  • Options
    Frustrating that we’re left with watson over pratley. Would have much preferred to have Prats around the place. 
  • Options
    Given the choice of having both of them around, or just one of them around, I'm going with 'just one'
  • Options
    Like the ruthlessness from Nigel here
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    exactly, if he went in thinking there wasn't the possibility of him leaving then he's a fool.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Given the choice of having both of them around, or just one of them around, I'm going with 'just one'
    agree but definitely Pratley over Watson.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    For want of a better term, I agree.  With the greatest of respect to him, Pearce, Gunter, and Watson, they were a large part of why we didn’t go up.  They all played far too many games.  

I don’t know if it was Bowyer lauding him each week, or the fact he seemed to be able to start week in, week out that gave him that false sense of security, but he really did epitomise a lot of what was wrong with our play last season.  Those fouls that he likes to win are great late in the game, but there were times when I was thinking, just bloody turn on the ball and pass forward, but he couldn’t do it, so opted to just put himself across an opponent and buy a foul, winning us free kicks in the centre circle.  That’s a sign of a limited team that don’t have the ability or the belief in their talent