Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Pratley (Page 22 - Signed for Leyton Orient)

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Exactly - this season showed that you cannot overdo the trust and hope of "experience", over quality.

Pearce, Gunter, Pratley and Watson have all been captains in their life with a wealth of experience. I thought this would help us hold onto wins in games and see them out. Game Management, Leadership, Communication, etc.

Instead these exact individuals were the ones that brought on the panic in games, largely due to their ill positioning to cover up their flaws. Of course, these flaws can sometimes be covered if you're playing with players too good for a league, but we were not and are not likely to do so. 

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Given the choice of having both of them around, or just one of them around, I'm going with 'just one'
    agree but definitely Pratley over Watson.
    Agree but with Watson’s extension clause I think it probably wasn’t an option.
  • Options
    Darren Pratley can feel slightly hard done by, but he really shouldn't be surprised. Football is and has always been a cut throat business from the young kids at academies to senior pros at clubs. With the advent of foundations now who pick up young  players who are released to the older pros its an insecure business with each contract cherished. 

If Watson and Gunter didn't have the extra year then Prats may have got an extra year, But we desperately need to lower the age of our squad and it's just ironic that he gets less injuries than most of his younger colleges at Cafc.

We want top 2 now and we have to recruit players who can help achieve this.
    I'm still gob smacked what Darren was thinking of when already on a yellow card and after about 6 borderline fouls he put his hand into the players face early in the  second half of a match at the valley when we were already behind.

The problem with Watson is despite the fact he did have a number of decent games( oh yes he did) in others he looked slower than JJ in his final season ( or even now !)
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Given the choice of having both of them around, or just one of them around, I'm going with 'just one'
    Agree but with Watson’s extension clause I think it probably wasn’t an option.
    Under Bowyer maybe but Watson suits Adkins style more than Prats imho if it was a straight choice. They are different types of DM. I suspect Bow would have given him an extra year. 

The reason I wanted Darren to stay as well is that there are games like Accrington and MKD where he has his uses in L1.

Having said that I too felt he played well in the Championship reminding me of Andy Hughes who similarly rolled back the years under Powell. Also Andy looked worse when paired with Mark Gower in the same way as Pratley and Watson didn't compliment each other. 
  • Options
    Like the ruthlessness from Nigel here
    I like the way Nigel first asked him what he wanted to do, in case he had other plans and didn't have to bomb him.
  • Options
    Think is he can talk about fitness at his age etc, but I see it more about pace in the side.

I never expected us to offer him a new contract,  and I think we'd let Watson go too if we could.
  • Options
    I feel for Pratley.

Whatever the big picture for the club next season he's a human being and being let go still hurts.

But there is an element of putting himself in the market with all those stats, which is understandable

Have the recruitment quartet make a mistake letting him go?  I don't think so but that very much depends on who replaces him.
  • Options
    Leave on a high note not after it’s all gone wrong. 

The squad is in need of a change and needs to be built for promotion. We can’t keep everyone. Little room for sentiment if we want more success. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wish Pratley all the best and I like that he considers a return to the Valley after retirement to be a possibility.
    But I can’t help but think Adkins may have considered him to be very much Lee Bowyer’s man. I imagine any manager wants one or two senior pros in his squad who he trusts, connects with and helps to put his stamp on the team. I feel Bowyer considered Pratley to be one of those characters for him. Maybe not so much Adkins.
    Lots of mutual respect appears to be there between Adkins and Pratley - DP was polite, professional and respectful in that interview, but no more than that. If you look back at his announcement on Twitter, he publicly thanked Bowyer, but didn’t mention NA at all. (Understandable I guess - he must have been upset at the time)
    But at the end of the day, if he’s not the senior pro Adkins wanted, then it was never going to work.
  • Options
    I liked DP and you can’t underestimate what he brought to the team so seeing him go was a bit of a blow but if we are to back NA to do the job he was brought in to do then we have to trust his judgment on which players he believes will fit his style of football 
  • Options
    Reading what DP said, it looks to me that he thinks that his age is irrelevant or being used as an excuse.

If your the fittest, or one of the fittest, players at the club it doesn't matter if your 25, 35 or even 45.

I also don't buy into Pratley and Watson competing for one place in the squad.  One place in the team yes.  They are completely different players.

If NA isn't going to use Pratley as his 4th choice center back  (which is a good thing BTW), using him to add muscle or to do a man marking job I don't see any reason to keep him.

Pratley played the most games, I think, of all the out field players.  Quite often not through choice.  With proper, fit, center halves and less light weight midfielders I don't think he would have played half the games he did. 
  • Options
    Pratley is a player you want when you have less possession and are an underdog, not the sort you want if you plan to dominate the ball and the play consequently looking to get promoted, watson is very tidy in possession and fits a team wanting to get promoted, I can see the logic 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    No not on performance this season .... we saw how we missed Watson when he was out and the goals conceded in front of our back four ... Pratley done ok at Centre back but in mid was like a headless chicken and a sending off waiting to happen .. plus his passing was awful .. Watson a much calmer player who hardly gives the ball away 
    Tbh would have liked both to have been released. 

Prats has done a one a good job over the years but became a liability last season.

Watson was poor in the main and is going to be another year older and slower next season.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Leuth said:
    No not on performance this season .... we saw how we missed Watson when he was out and the goals conceded in front of our back four ... Pratley done ok at Centre back but in mid was like a headless chicken and a sending off waiting to happen .. plus his passing was awful .. Watson a much calmer player who hardly gives the ball away 
    Missing Watson... When was this? I read most of this board and don't recall ever reading the words "We miss Watson."

Considering he had the second lowest statbank score of any player to play 10+ games. 

Still hope they're both being let go.
  • Options
    Pratley did all the things LB loves and he could deal with his lack of finesse due to this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pratley over Watson for me. A good honest pro and you know what you're getting from him. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but as a club we seem to get a ridiculous amount of injuries each year. He was one player that never got injured and I actually think we could miss that more then anything 
  • Options
    As this has now become the Watson V Pratley thread.......

I think, by and large, both have been decent to very good since March.  I think with the exception of Cewe, which was probably 1 game too far for all 3 of our midfielders.

They didn't play together, Pratley didn't play at center back.

Watson is a far better footballer than Pratley and Pratley is a far better athlete than Watson.  I think even Watson and Pratley would agree on that.

Watson will look better in a better, and more settled team.  Without playing every 3 or 4 days.  If we have a better team, we don't need Pratley.  So if I had to keep one, and only one, it would be Watson.  If we had got promoted however, I would have chosen Pratley. 
  • Options
    I wish Pratley all the best and I like that he considers a return to the Valley after retirement to be a possibility.
    But I can’t help but think Adkins may have considered him to be very much Lee Bowyer’s man. I imagine any manager wants one or two senior pros in his squad who he trusts, connects with and helps to put his stamp on the team. I feel Bowyer considered Pratley to be one of those characters for him. Maybe not so much Adkins.
    Lots of mutual respect appears to be there between Adkins and Pratley - DP was polite, professional and respectful in that interview, but no more than that. If you look back at his announcement on Twitter, he publicly thanked Bowyer, but didn’t mention NA at all. (Understandable I guess - he must have been upset at the time)
    But at the end of the day, if he’s not the senior pro Adkins wanted, then it was never going to work.
    The way Pearce states he will be missed seems to suggest to me that Pearce will sign his contract and stay
    And I would suggest Pearce (and maybe Watson) are the old pros I mentioned above that Adkins will utilise.
  • Options
    Watson can pass the ball, I'd go as far to say he's one of our best passers of the ball. 
    We were massively let down by players giving the ball away too easily this season.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Watson can pass the ball, I'd go as far to say he's one of our best passers of the ball. 
    We were massively let down by players giving the ball away too easily this season.
    The problem is that he isn't that good defensively as he's too slow. If we just want someone to sit deep and knock the ball around nicely, then I'd rather have Shinnie in the side or even bring back Matt Smith (the Arsenal one)
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    The problem is that he isn't that good defensively as he's too slow. If we just want someone to sit deep and knock the ball around nicely, then I'd rather have Shinnie in the side or even bring back Matt Smith (the Arsenal one)
    Shinnie couldn't have done the job Watson did against Wigan, for example.  Last season we had too many midfielders doing jobs that they weren't suited to. 

With a distinct lack of all rounder midfielders a lot of them underperformed as a result.  In fact I would say all of them, bar JFC did.   I though the balance of Watson, JFC and Gilbey look quite good with Morgan able to rotate in.  If we could get 2 players that are an upgrade of those 3 that would give you a very good six for league 1 IMO. 
  • Options
    Can we please refrain from calling him DP, he wasn’t that penetrating.

id rather have kept him than Watson but it’s probably time to say goodbye to both if we can. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Tbh would have liked both to have been released. 

Prats has done a one a good job over the years but became a liability last season.

Watson was poor in the main and is going to be another year older and slower next season.
    Pratley was never a liability. His lack of ability on the ball didn't help us in games when we needed to take control but aside from a couple of mistakes while out of position at CB with a full back next to him he always contributed and rarely let us down in regards to doing his job, which was to smash people up and make it hard for them to play. We definitely will benefit from getting in a player who can do more on the ball than Prats but a liability he was not.

His sending off away to Hull? His mistake against Sunderland, his endless bookings/free kicks given away etc...