Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Darren Pratley (Page 22 - Signed for Leyton Orient)

Comments

• Options
    It may be a controversial opinion but I don't miss him and I still have nightmares about that Pratson partnership.
  • Options
    If Pratley is starting for them next year, then relegation is pretty much a guarantee.  
  • Options
    He has a valid case for our player of the play offs in 2019 
    he grabbed us by the scruff of the neck and carried us over the line , he was a man possessed at Wembley 
    From the time he came on to at the Keepmoat until he went off at Wembley he was immense.  In all honesty he hadn't really done much up until then.

Was like a man possessed in our early good championship form.   Him and Pearce were like Kante and Ramos for 6 weeks.
  • Options
    He was a great player for us during that promotion season and the subsequent season in the Championship. However, he was shocking in 20/21 and I was glad we let him go, regardless of his leadership qualities. He obviously still wanted a role on the pitch and he just wasn’t good enough to play at that level.  Two games stick in my memory.  He gave up and was lambasting other players in our 3-0 home defeat to Blackpool in 2021, not showing any leadership qualities at all.  And a home game against Crewe when he played this pass that was so far behind the man he played it too, whoever was receiving it had already continued their run, oblivious the ball was about a mile behind them.  

All that talk of him staying ahead of Watson was ludicrous.  They were both well past it 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    as you say a true proper pro, how we could have done with him around the last few years.
    A proper pro yes, but I’ll be very happy if he’s on the team sheet against us next season!
    Scott Fraser won't be
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I hear a single person boo Pratley at The Valley next season I will hunt them down.
    I'm in the Curbishley Stand so no need to look too hard.
    It will be a painful experience if I ever have to lay eyes on that player again.
    MR ANTI-FOOTBALL.
    But I won't boo- just boo-hoo

I'm all for balance about players skills and attributes. This time you've caught me out.
    Yes he wore the shirt
    Yes he got the correct boots on the correct feet
    Occasionally got in a good tackle
    Occasionally/rarely scored
    rarely showed a good touch or pass
    Expert at minor fouls interrrupting play but just avoiding cards until the ref works him out. His sole attribute.

Would you have Dobson or Pratley?

• Options
    edited May 2023
    cabbles said:
    He was a great player for us during that promotion season and the subsequent season in the Championship. However, he was shocking in 20/21 and I was glad we let him go, regardless of his leadership qualities. He obviously still wanted a role on the pitch and he just wasn’t good enough to play at that level.  Two games stick in my memory.  He gave up and was lambasting other players in our 3-0 home defeat to Blackpool in 2021, not showing any leadership qualities at all.  And a home game against Crewe when he played this pass that was so far behind the man he played it too, whoever was receiving it had already continued their run, oblivious the ball was about a mile behind them.  

All that talk of him staying ahead of Watson was ludicrous.  They were both well past it 
    Also remember that pass back to our keeper when we were 25-yards inside the opponent's half
  • Options
    If I hear a single person boo Pratley at The Valley next season I will hunt them down.
    It will be a painful experience if I ever have to lay eyes on that player again.
    MR ANTI-FOOTBALL.

I'm all for balance about players skills and attributes. This time you've caught me out.
    Yes he wore the shirt
    Expert at minor fouls interrrupting play but just avoiding cards until the ref works him out. His sole attribute.

NOW I'd have Dobson as he's 13 years younger, but Pratley has played at a much higher level. In this country Dobson has never played higher than L1
  • Options
    MR ANTI-FOOTBALL.

Yes he wore the shirt

NOW I'd have Dobson as he's 13 years younger, but Pratley has played at a much higher level. In this country Dobson has never played higher than L1
    Put it this way if we could have had Dobson a year earlier I would have been delighted
  • Options
    MR ANTI-FOOTBALL.

Yes he wore the shirt

Absolutely deranged take. Pratley was essential in our promotion season, backing up key players, coming on to see out games and dragging us through both the play-off semi second leg when we were faltering and the final when we scored the own goal. He was one of our best players in the Championship season and one of our only senior pros who managed to stay fit. He was then a consistent performer the following season despite being in his mid-30s and having to play at centre back a fair bit. He brought a huge amount to our squad and it's no surprise that when he left we sank to a much lower point because his level of experience, fitness and nous was completely missing from the squad. It was the right time to release him when we did but the idea that his sole attribute was fouling people is Sandgaard levels of understanding football.
    Steady on now, old bean! You can't be spot on every time you sigh and dip the quill.

Pratley was a much smaller part of our promotion season than is often claimed. Bowyer's preference was to shore up games we were winning, a habit which eventually contributed to his downfall both with us and Birmingham, and so Pratley was often used in such circumstances, but Bielik and Cullen he was not. He did a decent job sometimes, sure, but as a bit-part.

His contributions in our play-off games is also wildly - deliriously - overstated. Such was his impact in the Doncaster semi that he 'dragged' us to throwing away, during his time on the pitch, a one-goal lead, which became a one-goal deficit, only for Marosi to literally roll the ball to his feet five yards out. And as for 'dragging' us through the final, I hear this nonsense quite often; what happened was that he pushed one of their players over while the ball was dead and played literally no significant part in our actual equaliser, after a performance you'd hardly call dominant. He was then substituted long before the end for Jonny Williams, because with him in the side we weren't looking like adding to our tally, and indeed the change paid off. You can argue he helped prevent us further behind (but by the same token you'd have to praise all the other defensive players) but that push on the Sunderland player is all anyone can remember, and it has attained mythical status. It's rose-tinted bollocks.

One of our 'best players' in the Championship? Nobody in that midfield was our 'best player' when we had Conor Gallagher literally doing the work of three men. Pratley, when he played, simply had to be meat in the room while Gallagher did his thing. When Gallagher went, our midfield was abysmal. Guess who had to play more minutes during that time? In mitigation, I believe it was this season where we learnt he could be a passable centre-back.

But the part of your post I have the most issue with is the claim he was a 'consistent performer' the following League One season. My good man, he was dreck. I have the receipts to back this up. Okay, at centre-back he was quite good. But in midfield the only consistency he displayed was consistency in not being able to use the ball properly. There was that infamous game at Northampton on a marshy pitch in a howling gale where Levitt was taken off at half time and Pratley of course scored from a corner (his one goal that season I think) and everyone said ahhh, thank goodness we have a Real Player for that position, not a Weak Child like Levitt, and Bowyer thought so too, and the Real Player kept his place and we played our worst football of recent years except under Slade. Anyone else remember that?

Now of course, he was throughout a model pro and gave his all and knew when to do niggly fouls without being booked (although this started deteriorating by the end too) and I actually rated him as a defender. But in our midfield, especially when Bowyer decided at times to play him as one of the more progressive members of the diamond (this did happen a few times, I have the scars), he was utterly destructive to any sort of actual football, crucially including the creation of play in the final third and hence scoring chances. I don't care if Swansealona had use for him in the old days. Clearly he'd had his job there and the other players could make up for his deficiencies. But for us? I mean, a lot of my problem is with Bowyer really, chiefly what Bowyer became during that Championship season, and maybe under another manager Pratley could have been used better, but those last two seasons for us were turgid and he was a big part of that turgidity.

I'd still have kept him over Watson. Called THAT one nice and early ffs. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    MR ANTI-FOOTBALL.

Yes he wore the shirt

Absolutely deranged take. Pratley was essential in our promotion season, backing up key players, coming on to see out games and dragging us through both the play-off semi second leg when we were faltering and the final when we scored the own goal. He was one of our best players in the Championship season and one of our only senior pros who managed to stay fit. He was then a consistent performer the following season despite being in his mid-30s and having to play at centre back a fair bit. He brought a huge amount to our squad and it's no surprise that when he left we sank to a much lower point because his level of experience, fitness and nous was completely missing from the squad. It was the right time to release him when we did but the idea that his sole attribute was fouling people is Sandgaard levels of understanding football.
    Steady on now, old bean! You can't be spot on every time you sigh and dip the quill.

Pratley was a much smaller part of our promotion season than is often claimed. Bowyer's preference was to shore up games we were winning, a habit which eventually contributed to his downfall both with us and Birmingham, and so Pratley was often used in such circumstances, but Bielik and Cullen he was not. He did a decent job sometimes, sure, but as a bit-part.

His contributions in our play-off games is also wildly - deliriously - overstated. Such was his impact in the Doncaster semi that he 'dragged' us to throwing away, during his time on the pitch, a one-goal lead, which became a one-goal deficit, only for Marosi to literally roll the ball to his feet five yards out. And as for 'dragging' us through the final, I hear this nonsense quite often; what happened was that he pushed one of their players over while the ball was dead and played literally no significant part in our actual equaliser, after a performance you'd hardly call dominant. He was then substituted long before the end for Jonny Williams, because with him in the side we weren't looking like adding to our tally, and indeed the change paid off. You can argue he helped prevent us further behind (but by the same token you'd have to praise all the other defensive players) but that push on the Sunderland player is all anyone can remember, and it has attained mythical status. It's rose-tinted bollocks.

One of our 'best players' in the Championship? Nobody in that midfield was our 'best player' when we had Conor Gallagher literally doing the work of three men. Pratley, when he played, simply had to be meat in the room while Gallagher did his thing. When Gallagher went, our midfield was abysmal. Guess who had to play more minutes during that time? In mitigation, I believe it was this season where we learnt he could be a passable centre-back.

But the part of your post I have the most issue with is the claim he was a 'consistent performer' the following League One season. My good man, he was dreck. I have the receipts to back this up. Okay, at centre-back he was quite good. But in midfield the only consistency he displayed was consistency in not being able to use the ball properly. There was that infamous game at Northampton on a marshy pitch in a howling gale where Levitt was taken off at half time and Pratley of course scored from a corner (his one goal that season I think) and everyone said ahhh, thank goodness we have a Real Player for that position, not a Weak Child like Levitt, and Bowyer thought so too, and the Real Player kept his place and we played our worst football of recent years except under Slade. Anyone else remember that?

Now of course, he was throughout a model pro and gave his all and knew when to do niggly fouls without being booked (although this started deteriorating by the end too) and I actually rated him as a defender. But in our midfield, especially when Bowyer decided at times to play him as one of the more progressive members of the diamond (this did happen a few times, I have the scars), he was utterly destructive to any sort of actual football, crucially including the creation of play in the final third and hence scoring chances. I don't care if Swansealona had use for him in the old days. Clearly he'd had his job there and the other players could make up for his deficiencies. But for us? I mean, a lot of my problem is with Bowyer really, chiefly what Bowyer became during that Championship season, and maybe under another manager Pratley could have been used better, but those last two seasons for us were turgid and he was a big part of that turgidity.

I'd still have kept him over Watson. Called THAT one nice and early ffs. 
    He also did this thing where he would step across an opposing player and shield the ball with his body and win a foul.  It was great when he first signed, because he would do it late in games, when we were trying to break up play and hold onto leads.  Then he would start doing it earlier and earlier and it would become, I’ll take a foul rather than try and attempt a pass.  

I completely respect his never say die, give me 11 Darren Pratley’s for their grit and determination comment Lee Bowyer made, but I have to agree with Leuth.  I think he’s been PR’d into something more than he was.  

I am sure Orient benefitted massively from his presence though.  However, if I were them, I wouldn’t want him in the team much next season.  Same if Stevenage sign Gilbey.  They’re league 2 players now 
  • Options
    Pratley is obviously now past it - but I would like to see a few players who are as well versed in the dark arts. Dobson is far too obvious and I'm afraid most of our opponents in this League are rather better in this regard.
  • Options
    That final season he had with us, we finished 7th with 74 points, whereas last season we got 59 points and this season 62 points. 

In 20/21 we conceded 56 goals, last season 59 goals, this season 66 goals. 

Not saying it's just down to him, but the team with Pratley as a regular was more solid than what followed.
    sm said:
    Pratley is obviously now past it - but I would like to see a few players who are as well versed in the dark arts. Dobson is far too obvious and I'm afraid most of our opponents in this League are rather better in this regard.
    Agreed. The number of bookings he receives is worrying. I don't remember a Charlton player ever having to be left out because he was about to hit the 15 threshold. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That final season he had with us, we finished 7th with 74 points, whereas last season we got 59 points and this season 62 points. 

In 20/21 we conceded 56 goals, last season 59 goals, this season 66 goals. 

Not saying it's just down to him, but the team with Pratley as a regular was more solid than what followed.
    sm said:
    Agreed. The number of bookings he receives is worrying. I don't remember a Charlton player ever having to be left out because he was about to hit the 15 threshold. 
    Except Dobson, of course.
  • Options
    You just know next season Orient will be 1-0 up with 15 minutes to go, on comes Pratley and expertly helps them see out the game, you just know that's what will happen.
  • Options
    Our cricket third team play their home games at Old Chigwellians which is the same place as Leyton Orient train 
    found this on wall of changing room today 

Crap photos but a zoom may help 
  • Options
    If anyone hasn’t heard of Snus… https://youtu.be/lyFk-Z80P6k
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    If anyone hasn’t heard of Snushttps://youtu.be/lyFk-Z80P6k
    How tall is he?
  • Options
    Thought he was excellent yesterday. 
  • Options
    Agree, excellent personally and a great leader (which we sadly lack). 
  • Options
    He gave the handful of us left in the away end a sheepish, guilty,  I feel sorry for you and your wank club clap after the game yesterday