Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Croatia

Comments

• Options
    Go on Wrighty!
  • Options

Kind of pissing me off everyone saying they have room to grow, we can move on from this and better for it, they are young and will learn....

Make no mistake no matter how much they learned they will never get a chance like that again. It opened up - and we will have to get better as we won’t have a run to a Final ever again like it

The big winners were always going to be the team that came out the strong side of the bracket.
    This was great opportunity but reality is we are still a fair way from being a finished article
  • Options

Kind of pissing me off everyone saying they have room to grow, we can move on from this and better for it, they are young and will learn....

Make no mistake no matter how much they learned they will never get a chance like that again. It opened up - and we will have to get better as we won’t have a run to a Final ever again like it

I agree, but my counter to this is that hopefully with players improvement and some of the young, youth tournament winning players coming in, England will be able to compete with the better sides they'll inevitably need to beat in the future.
  • Options
    Roy Keane what a wanker why’s he getting paid to slag us on
  • Options
    How did people react after 1990?

After all, the only team we beat in normal time in that tournament was Egypt.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

The big winners were always going to be the team that came out the strong side of the bracket.
    This was great opportunity but reality is we are still a fair way from being a finished article
    The big winners tonight were France.
  • Options

I still don't understand how people communicated before the internet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Laddick01 said:

The big winners tonight were France.
    We don't know that yet.
  • Options
    The Frogs are going to have their hands full with Croatia they have that never quit attitude right now.Hope they stuff them might make me feel better we lost out to the best team.
  • Options

Chunes said:

Howells said:

I understand disappointment but I've seen words like "embarrassing" and "chokers" thrown around online already.

No wonder people think England fans are insufferable.

Can we not just be proud of our team getting further than they have in 28 years and congratulate the opposition on their first WC final ever?

Insufferable?
    Hardly.
    We've just been knocked out, literally moments ago.
    Emotions run high, what do you expect.
    Don't worry yourself. Callum is about rose tinted as it gets.
    Is there a problem with positivity?
    Are you Stewart Pearson from The Thick Of It?
  • Options

I think Gareth needed to make some tactical changes in that second half. If the players lack the experience to push out past the press then we probably should have altered the formation and pushed players out wide to pin back their full backs who were driving the ball into our box. We had men spare in our back three but deep crosses were being played into the gaps and causing chaos. We could have used Sterling and Lingard to go wide as we weren't getting anywhere with two up top. Might have involved subbing one of the centre halves for Dier to close off Modric and Rakitic but if you take those rampaging full backs out of the equation for Croatia they suddenly become quite ordinary again. Just a reminder for us that Southgate will also grow in experience as much as the players will

Agree with all of this. Said earlier I thought bringing off Sterling was the wrong decision. But he's done very well with this group, and unlike a lot of managers, I have faith in Southgate to improve as he gets older.
  • Options

I went to the Sagoor at Blendon.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Those were the days, relying on landlines and phone boxes and word of mouth. Kids these days don’t know they’re born.......

• Options
    DRAddick said:

Best team on the night won. Good fair game and OK ref so no excuses. Lots of positives to take from this tournament and this young team, but imo what caught up with us eventually was our inability to create and score from open Play.

Oh but Sterling really scares defences with his running..... :smile:
  • Options
    What a wasted opportunity, the early goal was in many ways the worst thing that could have happened to us.

Rather than playing cool headed football as we had done against Sweden we reverted to survival mode hoofball and lost our thread completely.

Croatia got lucky from one long ball to equalise and we never really looked like getting our football back on track and getting our platform back.

Dreadful defensive errors from Stones and Walker for the goals but the real issue was nobody in the middle of the park urging us to get it down and play rather than hoofing it.

Still, we did way better than expected but Croatia are not a great side by any means and we blew a golden chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Croatia had more shots, 22-11
    More shots on goal 7-1

England's only shot on goal happened in the 5th minute. Ouch.

What about Kane's shot just before he hit the post? keeper saved it so surely it was a shot on goal?

7-2 makes me feel much better...
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

DRAddick said:

Best team on the night won. Good fair game and OK ref so no excuses. Lots of positives to take from this tournament and this young team, but imo what caught up with us eventually was our inability to create and score from open Play.

Oh but Sterling really scares defences with his running..... :smile:
    It will be interesting to see how many tabloids manage to make him the scapegoat.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

More shots on goal 7-1

What about Kane's shot just before he hit the post? keeper saved it so surely it was a shot on goal?

Was offside anyway wasn't it?
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

SDAddick said:

Those were the days, relying on landlines and phone boxes and word of mouth. Kids these days don’t know they’re born.......

Yes but what did you do with all your free time while you waited for your carrier pigeons to deliver their messages? Were you just...alone with your thoughts?
  • Options
    At least we'll have Ademola in the Sterling role next tournament
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

More shots on goal 7-1

nope - onside, flag went up when the ball span out of play.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

More shots on goal 7-1

No, it wasn't.