Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Croatia

Comments

• Options
    ITV curse.........
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    After the first (group) match against Tunisia, I made a somewhat inebriated post indicating my level of disappointment with the England team. (if you don't know of it? ask Leuth because he posts it on every thread I participate in)
    I have felt we were a very average team throughout the competition (I managed to miss the Panama game, so don't include that in my opinion) luck has been on our side.
    We DID limp out of the group, and saying 'well we played our second team against Belgium' doesn't excuse it.
    We deservedly beat the Columbian cheating shitehawks and played well against Sweden.
    But when it came to the crunch, we weren't good enough. We have (IMO) three world class players; Kane, Trippier and Pickford, the rest are not quite there.
    I am still proud of what we achieved. A very young team did well. A good international manager would have heeded the words "you'll win nothing with kids"
  • Options
    Sterling and Alli overrated. Trippier, Maguire, Kane world class. Walker immense until the latter stages. First half, Croatia looked quite poor, and we had the chances to lead 2-0. At the end, the best side won, it would have been a steal had we won on pens. A solid foundation for the Euros where the semis should be a minimum.
  • Options
    Gutted for the players more than myself, they just came up a little bit short

Well done lads, you can keep your heads held high

Can't see Spurs getting off to a flyer this season, Kane, Alli and Trippier all look totally fooked, gonna take a good few weeks to get them back going.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Howells said:

SDAddick said:

Christ, I couldn't make this up. As soon as the World Cup ended Fox started showing "The 700 Club," which is Pat Robertson's TV show. Pat Robertson has, for decades, been the poster child for Fundamentalist Evangelical Christianity. Two minutes of this (I couldn't find the remote) might have hurt more than the England loss.

#PeakAmerica

Right.
    But can't you just, for once,keep your political nonsence on one of the many threads available for that kind of thing?
    I was talking about what was on television directly after the match, calm down snowflake.

Pat Robertson is way more extreme than anyone I am aware of on here. He's in the "gays cause hurricanes and 9/11 camp." If it had been pretty much anyone or anything else, something I thought people would have any sort of strong feeling for, I wouldn't have said anything.
  • Options
    The battle of the midfield is going to be interesting to watch in the final hardly anything between them both.
  • Options
    I'm proud we made it to the semi final. Disappointed in Gareth's tactics second half. Had we been a bit more expansive... Croatia didn't look like they were going to bother us first half. The idea we'd sit back and hold on to a 1-0 lead for 45 minutes seemed silly. He also seemed to keep Kane on the pitch just in case there were penalties. The guy was not involved in the match at all. How about trying to win the game?

Semi final. Something to build on. What's worrying for me was that you did see old England coming through there. They rattled, fell apart, dropped that huge opportunity in front of them.
  • Options
    Bilic well happy.

• Options
    Howells said:

I understand disappointment but I've seen words like "embarrassing" and "chokers" thrown around online already.

No wonder people think England fans are insufferable.

Can we not just be proud of our team getting further than they have in 28 years and congratulate the opposition on their first WC final ever?

Insufferable?
    Hardly.
    We've just been knocked out, literally moments ago.
    Emotions run high, what do you expect.
    Don't worry yourself. Callum is about rose tinted as it gets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was fun whilst it lasted but we massively overachieved to get this far....the easiest qualification group, the easiest WC group and the easiest route to the semis.

They're a likeable bunch of lads but Modric and Rakitic made Alli, Henderson and Lingard look like Championship players tonight.

Also surprised Southgate took Kane off at HT.
  • Options
    Hope there's no violence in bars or on the streets tonight. It would be a shame if a great tournament for England finishes with destruction and problems for the emergency services.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

Worst part is the Scottish piping up on twitter
    I’ve consoled myself with the fact that at least I won’t ever have to live there

They can fuck off, we've won as many matches in this world cup as they have in their entire history.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Howells said:

I understand disappointment but I've seen words like "embarrassing" and "chokers" thrown around online already.

No wonder people think England fans are insufferable.

Can we not just be proud of our team getting further than they have in 28 years and congratulate the opposition on their first WC final ever?

Insufferable?
    Hardly.
    We've just been knocked out, literally moments ago.
    Emotions run high, what do you expect.
    Don't worry yourself. Callum is about rose tinted as it gets.
    Is there a problem with positivity?
  • Options
    Proud of the vast majority of our team, however I still cannot see what Alli is supposed to bring to the team? Can't pass, looks slow and lazy. Shadow of the player he was in his first season at Spurs.
  • Options

Uboat said:

Anyone bothering to watch on Saturday

Yes. It's the world cup final.
    No its not
    Ha. Yes, you've got me there. It's a good question.
  • Options
    Not much written in the stars about Sterling then, but this would have been such a different game if any of those other first half chances had gone in.
    Wasteful.
    And gutted, gutted...
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

I like the formation, I like the Defense, I love Pickford and i like the football we try and play. But Southgate has learnt tonight that the Lingard/Alli duo is just too weak against world class combatitive midfielders.

Until we can fill the gaping hole we have in a CM position we won’t be able to beat the real top sides

I think that's true right now, but Alli is still only 22 and Lingard is 25. For this team to reach this stage of a tournament again, they're going to need to improve as players, and sometimes I feel that English players' growth is stunted in their late teens and early 20s, but this team certainly has time on their hands in terms of getting better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Proud of the vast majority of our team, however I still cannot see what Alli is supposed to bring to the team? Can't pass, looks slow and lazy. Shadow of the player he was in his first season at Spurs.

He was integral to us running the game in the first half but after that he was ineffective. It was his lack of closing down that allowed the right back to get the cross in for Croatia's equalising goal.
  • Options
    Gallant effort.
    Inexperience and fatigue done us.

You can say both teams had fatigue. But only one had the experience to deal with it.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Teams we were good enough to beat: Tunisia, Panama, Colombia, Sweden. But as usual the fucking media and their army of willing fuckwits have hyped it up out of all proportion.

Cheer up ! We got to the semi finals of the world cup, rather than losing to Tunisia and Belgium and not getting out of the group with a load of no hoper kids...
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Laddick01 said:

Worst part is the Scottish piping up on twitter
    I’ve consoled myself with the fact that at least I won’t ever have to live there

They can fuck off, we've won as many matches in this world cup as they have in their entire history.
    No offence to the Scots on here, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. When Scotland are qualifying for the Euros and World cups on a regular basis I might take them seriously but they ain’t got much to pipe up about. Bit like us slating Millwall at the moment.....
  • Options
    Just gutted
  • Options
    Kind of pissing me off everyone saying they have room to grow, we can move on from this and better for it, they are young and will learn....

Make no mistake no matter how much they learned they will never get a chance like that again. It opened up - and we will have to get better as we won’t have a run to a Final ever again like it
  • Options
    Wembley 2020. Watch this space.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Uboat said:

Anyone bothering to watch on Saturday

Yes. It's the world cup final.
    No its not
    Ha. Yes, you've got me there. It's a good question.
    Lol.

Kane, and Dele carrying knocks
    Will they be risked for what is a pointless game.

Trippier probably out.

Personally will be to painful to watch