Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options
    I think it's fine to have a pretty balanced view of it... understand the decision as an individual, despise his decision as a Charlton fan, not wish any harm on him, but enjoy him not having the best time at Forest and really look forward to Jason Pearce and the rest taking turns to kick lumps out of him in front of the Covered End (if we can squeak promotion)
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    The worse game Lyle Taylor played for Cafc was his last against Middlesbrough which for most of us was the last game we watched live.

First time back on this thread for 8 months and my views on Lyle haven't changed since the day we met at a Charlton women's match he was sponsoring.

We talked about his family and Montserrat, Greenwich hospital; where he was born and the meaning of life. He asked for a selfie and I was happy to oblige.

We had a lot in common ! No hear me out.
    Taylor lives on a soapbox, with views on everything from BLM to not liking VAR. Part of his character is being the centre of attention but until he played for Wimbledon he was one of the crowd. Suddenly at the Dons he had a platform and was loved by their small fan base; as shown by their supporters when Cafc played Wimbledon at the Valley.

Joining Charlton, Lyle carried on scoring but also worked harder for the team due to Bowyer and at 28 he had arrived and had a bigger fan base to feed his ego. 

Lyle Taylor baby, was music to his ears,and he was excellent for Cafc as a goal scorer and he could drift wide and be a winger ; Magic, what could possibly go wrong ! The shit house people who ran our club screwed him over. The injury that made him realise that your career can be taken away quite quickly.

Lyle is a paradox, he said he doesn't watch football but wanted to be a pundit as he would say it like it is; Lyle said this comment at Bromley addicks when he was a guest at a later date, where he was on his soapbox and JFC had trouble getting the mic off him. 

He was fantastic for Cafc and I'm convinced if Thomas Sandgaard had been our owner then, the relationship would have continued and instead of being a part time footballer at Forest he could have been a Championship level footballer at Cafc still.

Because of COVID-19, and the man who shall remained nameless who tried to shaft our club and took all Cafc fans for a ride; Taylor left Cafc as a traitor and persona non grata.
    The irony is Taylor will never be welcome at Cafc where it looks like he played the best football of his career.

The freak Circumstances of Covid and the season being extended played a big part in his decision to jump ship. Normally the season would have been over and he could have left and most of us would have understood as he couldn't get a contract he deserved at Charlton.

He has burnt his bridges at Charlton but just another one who got away in my long association with Cafc.

Ps. I wouldn't be surprised if Lyle is transferred to Birmingham next season to play under Bowyer where he will play every week as the Brum look like they will still be in the championship.
    and yet absolutely none of this matters because of one absolutely stupid decision. 
    Playing for Montserrat on a dodgy pitch I assume 😄
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Guaranteed to sign for Birmingham next season. Itll make for an interesting game next season if we go up given our awful record against ex-players. 
    Yeah. Ben Reeves had us on toast the other day didn't he?
    To be fair, by the time he came on, he was almost a one man Plymouth team, the only player who actually wanted to be out there!
  • Options
    What's his hair like nowadays?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Reeves or Taylor? Same answer for both....sh1t
  • Options
    Hate the bloke can’t even wear the shirt with his name on now... 

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Reeves or Taylor? Same answer for both....sh1t
    Surely we need Paulie to comment if we are talking hair?

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Guaranteed to sign for Birmingham next season. Itll make for an interesting game next season if we go up given our awful record against ex-players. 
    Yeah. Ben Reeves had us on toast the other day didn't he?
    Forgotten Bauers and Kermo's returns??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Croydon said:
    Taylor refused to play out his contract with us, when we were on the brink of relegation. What he did was worse than Parker, worse than Defoe, worse than any player who's left us in my lifetime.

Can't get my head round how any Charlton fan can have a single positive word to say about him.

As soon as he saw the proposed offer by the agent via likely weekly wages on the table, he embarrassingly did not give a shit about anything else, in regards to football and career, in general.
    It then became a locked door and his emotional connection to the club completely vanished.

Actions speak louder then words. He didn't give a shit about us.

It is embarrassing. The loyalty just goes out the window in a split second.

Are we all just slaves to money?

We all want to be rich and we are all internally power hungry. At least most of us are, but I eventually start to hate the concept of the psychologically magnetic attachment to £££++

I think it narrows the concept of the fact that we are social animals who stay loyal and look out for each other.

Life is short. Don't just be a self centered asshole. It won't get you anywhere. It won't help anyone and you probably won't be happy.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Dave2l said:
    Croydon said:
    Taylor refused to play out his contract with us, when we were on the brink of relegation. What he did was worse than Parker, worse than Defoe, worse than any player who's left us in my lifetime.

Can't get my head round how any Charlton fan can have a single positive word to say about him.

As soon as he saw the proposed offer by the agent via likely weekly wages on the table, he embarrassingly did not give a shit about anything else, in regards to football and career, in general.
    It then became a locked door and his emotional connection to the club completely vanished.

We all want to be rich and we are all internally power hungry. At least most of us are, but I eventually start to hate the concept of the psychologically magnetic attachment to £££++

I think it narrows the concept of the fact that we are social animals who stay loyal and look out for each other.

Life is short. Don't just be a self centered asshole. It won't get you anywhere. It won't help anyone and you probably won't be happy.

It's because a (football career)life is short, he did what he did.  Why should he care about us?  No reason at all.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Croydon said:

It's because a (football career)life is short, he did what he did.  Why should he care about us?  No reason at all.
    He was happy to take his wages after getting injured whilst on international duty. 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Croydon said:

He was happy to take his wages after getting injured whilst on international duty. 

All in the contract.
  • Options
    2 goals (1 a pen ) for everyone’s favourite ex Addick in a World Cup qualifier today against Antigua and Barbuda, ended  2-2 
    The sort of game where covid restrictions actually have no impact on the size of the crowd.
    Only if the size of the crowd would normally be 0. This is not a restriction, it is an interdiction.
  • Options
    mascot88 said:
    There are ways to do things... he chose to be a total and utter selfish f***, he is an arrogant self centred mutt. 

I hope him falls into a huge bucket of sick on his birthday 
    What would be worse - cold sick or warm sick?

I will happily join in sending some from me if it can be arranged.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Dave2l said:
    Croydon said:

All in the contract.
    The contract that ended in June, and he decided not to.

3 games, but I will always understand why he did it, BUT he was wrong to do it.
    Call it player power in football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why we still talking about him?.
  • Options
    mascot88 said:
    There are ways to do things... he chose to be a total and utter selfish f***, he is an arrogant self centred mutt. 

I hope him falls into a huge bucket of sick on his birthday 

Says the person that wished death on Meire.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Croydon said:

All in the contract.

So you are saying that any player coming to the end if their contract can just refuse to play  ??  We have quite a few out of contract atm - what would you say if Pearce, Aneke & Shinnie all just decided not to play from now on as they have lucrative contracts lined up with Championship teams for next season. 

I'm still astounded that we, as a club, didnt make more of it to be honest. If it were me I'd have named Taylor on the team sheet for every game he was contracted for & take the field with 10 men if needed be. I'm pretty sure that wouldnt have gone unnoticed. No idea if we fined him  - I would have fined him 100% of his wages & then see him try to fight that in court ! No work = no pay.

• Options
    Did he actually refuse to play the games he was contracted for?
  • Options
    To resolve the issue all the owners would have had to do would be to insure Taylor for the last few games for a couple of million quid. Taylor guaranteed his payout, plays in the last  few games we stay up and everyone is happy. Taylor rides into the sunset as a Charlton Hero, TS takes over a champo club. 

Unfortunately the owners at the time had spent that money on range rovers and a 26k flat rental . 

There is only one group to blame in this whole scenario.........
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Croydon said:

All in the contract.

So you are saying that any player coming to the end if their contract can just refuse to play  ??  We have quite a few out of contract atm - what would you say if Pearce, Aneke & Shinnie all just decided not to play from now on as they have lucrative contracts lined up with Championship teams for next season. 

I'm still astounded that we, as a club, didnt make more of it to be honest. If it were me I'd have named Taylor on the team sheet for every game he was contracted for & take the field with 10 men if needed be. I'm pretty sure that wouldnt have gone unnoticed. No idea if we fined him  - I would have fined him 100% of his wages & then see him try to fight that in court ! No work = no pay.

I have never said that it is alright for a player to refuse.
    My comment is very clear to understand.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Croydon said:

All in the contract.
    Football contracts only  end in June because that's after the end of the season, not because that month is special

Due to the unique circumstances of Covid, the season was delayed and hence finished after June. I've got no sympathy with players refusing to extend to the actual end of the season in July, as they aren't going by the SPIRIT of football contracts. 

Here, as with so many aspects of football, there was a massive lack of leadership by the FA, but also the PFA, who should have insisted that all player contracts would be extended until the actual end of the season. 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Croydon said:

He was hardly going to refuse them....
  • Options
    To resolve the issue all the owners would have had to do would be to insure Taylor for the last few games for a couple of million quid. Taylor guaranteed his payout, plays in the last  few games we stay up and everyone is happy. Taylor rides into the sunset as a Charlton Hero, TS takes over a champo club. 

Unfortunately the owners at the time had spent that money on range rovers and a 26k flat rental . 

There is only one group to blame in this whole scenario.........
    Probably wouldn't have worked out if we'd stayed up. Relegation may in fact have saved us.