Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options
    I suspect that he will rejoin Bowyer at Birmingham.

I suspect last year will be forgotten as it was when Curbs signed Parker for the Hammers. 
  • Options
    Bowyer might despise him as much as we do
  • Options
    Richard J said:

I suspect last year will be forgotten as it was when Curbs signed Parker for the Hammers. 
    Yea my money would be Birmingham as well.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

In league 1?
  • Options
    Richard J said:

In league 1?
    Don't think Taylor will care that much as long as he's still getting paid 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Richard J said:

In league 1?
    Lets hope he goes to Stockport County or Halifax then.  
  • Options
    I said this last year but largely got disagreed with but here goes again. It really does matter how many people live in a place to warrant an international team. It is absolutely and totally ridiculous that Lyle got injured and effectively got us relegated last year because he was playing international football for Montserrat, a country with a smaller population than our North Stand holds, that's even assuming all Monserratians are even interested in football. Lets say only 20% of them are - that means Lyle is playing to please c1,000 people . If I was paying his wages last year I would have made it totally clear to him that he could not leave to play for them. It was a catastrophic error of management and ownership at Charlton and the biggest reason we got relegated and why we are likely to spend 3 seasons in Division 1.  
  • Options
    Richard J said:

In league 1?
    Doubt Birmingham are going to pay him £20k a week in league 1 and if they won't pay him what he's on at forest then I can't see him moving 
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Hopefully bowyer will pretend he likes him again.

Just before he makes him cry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I always thought the population thing was about probabilities. i.e. if you have 300+ million football-addicted people, your chances of having a number of brilliant footballers in a generation is high. 

And if you have a population of 5,000 then it's incredibly minute. 
  • Options
    I said this last year but largely got disagreed with but here goes again. It really does matter how many people live in a place to warrant an international team. It is absolutely and totally ridiculous that Lyle got injured and effectively got us relegated last year because he was playing international football for Montserrat, a country with a smaller population than our North Stand holds, that's even assuming all Monserratians are even interested in football. Lets say only 20% of them are - that means Lyle is playing to please c1,000 people . If I was paying his wages last year I would have made it totally clear to him that he could not leave to play for them. It was a catastrophic error of management and ownership at Charlton and the biggest reason we got relegated and why we are likely to spend 3 seasons in Division 1.  
    So you would be happy to tell someone not to represent his country the world's biggest football tournament just because, through no fault of his own, that he came from a small country?

If you was in that position would you accept it?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Daddy_Pig said:
    Have to disagree with this. Like him or loathe him, if Lyle wants to represent Montserrat and they want to field him then he's earnt the right to play. It doesn't matter whether he plays for Barcelona or Belvedere. To represent one's country is the pinnacle of sport and I would hate to see that taken away from anyone
    Not sure that a club can prevent a player from an international call up anyway can they?

• Options
    edited March 2021
    And in the real world St Pauli tried to do that with one of their Welsh players in this current International Window and earnt the wrath of the German FA and FIFA

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12018/12258911/2022-world-cup-qualifiers-wales-demand-james-lawrence-is-released-by-his-club-st-pauli-for-czech-republic-match

Lawrence is now with the Welsh team so club over country never wins.

Im fascinated with how International Qualifying plays out in any of the continents, feel that a player should have just as much right to represent the worst country in the world as much as the best do - Anything else feels down right snobbery.

If anyone has objection with that last bit then watch Next Goal Wins and see how it means to represent American Samoa without a hope in the world of making it on the big time. 
  • Options
    They should abolish the grandparent rule though. It's one thing representing YOUR country, it's quite another when you just have 1 granny who came from there!
  • Options
    And in the real world St Pauli tried to do that with one of their Welsh players in this current International Window and earnt the wrath of the German FA and FIFA

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12018/12258911/2022-world-cup-qualifiers-wales-demand-james-lawrence-is-released-by-his-club-st-pauli-for-czech-republic-match

Im fascinated with how International Qualifying plays out in any of the continents, feel that a player should have just as much right to represent the worst country in the world as much as the best do - Anything else feels down right snobbery.

If anyone has objection with that last bit then watch Next Goal Wins and see how it means to represent American Samoa without a hope in the world of making it on the big time. 
    Well as I said noone agreed with me last time so I'm a lone voice on this one- perhaps I am being too cynical but I am sure there will be thousands of examples where clubs have told their players not to play for international sides particularly where the individual's participation at club level was pivotal as it was at Charlton. The decision to let him go half way through our season to play for Montserrat will probably end up costing the club £10-20m and all of us another 3 lost years in the wilderness. For me it is a question of proportionality and I don't really buy the whole I'm just as proud to play for my village because my grandad was born there as I would be for Man Utd argument. Anyway, its gone now and whether you are OK with it or not, it certainly had a disastrous affect on our club. 
  • Options
    They should abolish the grandparent rule though. It's one thing representing YOUR country, it's quite another when you just have 1 granny who came from there!
    Its the lifeblood for a lot of national teams like Ireland that have had a lot of immigration 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Well as I said noone agreed with me last time so I'm a lone voice on this one- perhaps I am being too cynical but I am sure there will be thousands of examples where clubs have told their players not to play for international sides particularly where the individual's participation at club level was pivotal as it was at Charlton. The decision to let him go half way through our season to play for Montserrat will probably end up costing the club £10-20m and all of us another 3 lost years in the wilderness. For me it is a question of proportionality and I don't really buy the whole I'm just as proud to play for my village because my grandad was born there as I would be for Man Utd argument. Anyway, its gone now and whether you are OK with it or not, it certainly had a disastrous affect on our club. 
    I get your point that it cost us, but as I understand it, the "decision to let him go.." wasn't a decision that was made by the club. If you employ international footballers, then you accept that they will be away from the club at certain times and that they run the risk of injury on duty (though I think FIFA insure on that basis). The fact that he was a tinpot international footballer is irrelevant.

The regulations are explicit in stating that clubs are obliged to release any of their registered players to a national representative team if they are called up to a squad.

Annexe 1 of the 'Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players' lays out 11 principles for managing the issue of national team call-ups.

Principle 1.1. says: "Clubs are obliged to release their registered players to the representative teams of the country for which the player is eligible to play on the basis of his nationality if they are called up by the association concerned. Any agreement between a player and a club to the contrary is prohibited."

• Options
    WSS said:
    Population matters very little if the people don't care about the sport, otherwise China, Russia and the US would be world-beaters.

And on the flip, New Zealand would be crap at rugby.
    100% true. 
    I've had holidays in India and cricket is like a religion out there. 
    As for football they couldn't give a shit 
  • Options
    Its the lifeblood for a lot of national teams like Ireland that have had a lot of immigration 
    It's too remote though. To me I'd cut it off at the parent level, i.e. I'd only allow

Born in country
    Parent born in country
    Educated in country (up to 18) for at least 5 years
  • Options
    It's too remote though. To me I'd cut it off at the parent level, i.e. I'd only allow

Born in country
    Parent born in country
    Yeh it is very remote, i could (if I was remotely good) have played for 3 countries, 1 of which I've never been too and only 1 of which do I feel a national of.
  • Options
    I can't see the Irish being happy about that.
  • Options
    I can't see the Irish being happy about that.
    They'd have to rely on the Cascarino make-it-up rule.
  • Options

Born in country
    Parent born in country
    Yeh it is very remote, i could (if I was remotely good) have played for 3 countries, 1 of which I've never been too and only 1 of which do I feel a national of.
    I could play for 5 countries  :D
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Population matters very little if the people don't care about the sport, otherwise China, Russia and the US would be world-beaters.

And on the flip, New Zealand would be crap at rugby.
    Very true, but the USA are actually starting to get a lot better. They have a number of good young players at top European sides now and will probably do quite well in 2026 when they host the World cup.
  • Options
    Yes, the injury played a big part in where we ended up.....however his refusal to play in the last 9 games was if anything even more critical and totally avoidable.
    Uncle £, I keep telling you, it was only 3 games.  He was out of contract for the remaining 6.