Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Do you want Bowyer as manager?

Comments

• I think he has earned it, club was on a very low ebb when he took the reigns and he rejuvenated the season & the players have bought into him aswell.

Though i do agree if it was Mick McCarthy instead, i wouldn't grumble.

With the right backing, i think he could do a good job. He knows how to get the right balance between physicality and technical players so def a good option.
  • Mick Mccarthy for me if we can't get SCP back.
  • I'd take McCarthy but listening to him on The Danny Baker show last week I think he will be in League one but back with Sunderland.
  • Certainly deserves a chance but there are better (more experienced options out there) with a proven track record over a longer period of time than what Bowyer has had with us.

I wouldn’t be unhappy if Bowyer were to get the job but I’d prefer Powell, Hurst or McCarthy.
  • it's a reluctant no from me. I'd rather he stayed as an assistant to someone like McCarthy so he can properly learn the ropes, do his badges etc. I think he's done ok with an unbalanced and inadequate squad but I think he's got in wrong in both the play off matches through that inexperience.
  • I don't really care who the manager is at this moment in time. That guy at Man City would struggle with this setup.
    Its nice to a continuity through playing and coach staff like the old Liverpool boot room setup but we are light years away from that.
    Give Bowyer a chance next season with the backing a club like ours should have by all means but you cant polish a turd of a club like ours and expect minor miracles.

• No brainer for me - use some of Muir's millions to buy Powell out of his contract at Southend. Let him come back and finish what he started

Won't happen of course. So I'd be inclined to have a look around at who is available before jumping to appoint Bowyer.
  • Yes but he needs backing in the market. To replace Amos and Da Silva will take creativity and/or money and we need 3 strikers, at least.
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

Yes or No?

I might be in the minority but for me it's a no. He did very well to get us into the play offs but has shown managerial naivety in the last few games and was out-thought by Keith Hill (to an extent) and by Hurst twice. I think he has potential but I don't get the impression he is a great thinker...

For me I think the new owner will put his own people in place and fear we'll also lose Jacko to Southend to work with Powell.

I agree.

I think a lot of people want a fairytale manager like Powell again. But would Bowyer have done better than Karl over as many games?

I think what having both types of manager proved is that we have some of the wrost strikers and attacking midfielders in the league. Whoever is in charge next season will struggle unless Roland sells and the new owners invest in the squad.
  • wmcf123 said:

Yes but he needs backing in the market. To replace Amos and Da Silva will take creativity and/or money and we need 3 strikers, at least.

getting a decent goalkeeper in doesn't need to cost money. There are always loads of decent keepers floating around looking for a gig and probably the easiest position to fill at a Club as most Clubs only really need two and so there are plenty available for loan and plenty around on free's. You only have to look back on the last five to ten years to see all the decent keepers we have managed to have on loans/frees (Alnwick, Henderson, Amos, Etheridge etc).

Don't forget Page - better defensively than Dasilva and that is his prime job after all. Dasilva is vastly over rated as a full back.

• He’s been back in football for around a year and management for a matter of months and he’s already been out-thought by 2 experienced managers? Yeah definitely get rid of him ASAP then. Let him learn his trade with a different club and watch him come back to haunt us. That’s the way to treat people.
  • edited May 2018
    Robinson v Bowyer - Both have experience in football, one as a top flight player and the other as a third tier manager.

99% of our fans would prefer Bowyer, and that shows that management experience isn't everything.
  • if he is allowed to make the squad his own then 100% yes, if it's a case of getting by with what he already has, I doubt he'd want it.
  • Based solely on the last three performances, no. However, I think that given his own squad we may see an over all improvement. So, on the whole, yes I would like to see him and Jacko continue.
  • Yes for me.

Definitely will need an experienced assistant alongside him. I am unsure him and Jackson would be able to cope too well with the riggers of a whole season without someone with a bit more managerial/coaching experience alongside them.

Give him the job, let him bring in the players and type of players we need for a balanced squad capable of winning promotion.
  • Scummy as their fans may have been, we need a set up like Shrewsbury to get out of this league. Physically imposing, very fit, 100% committed, well organized and with players that have something to proove having come from non-league or on loan from lesser clubs.

I’d like Bowyer to stay but agree he needs help in the scouting department to identify the right players for the job ahead.
  • Sponsored links:

• No, too tactically naïve and inexperienced to lead us through a grueling league 1 campaign
  • JaShea99 said:

He’s been back in football for around a year and management for a matter of months and he’s already been out-thought by 2 experienced managers? Yeah definitely get rid of him ASAP then. Let him learn his trade with a different club and watch him come back to haunt us. That’s the way to treat people.

Do we have time to let him learn his trade?

Is a new owner going to give him a war chest to spend when he has never had one before?

If we don't get off to a flyer next season people will be calling for his head and we are back to square one.

This next managerial appointment is so so so so important. This close season is too.
  • Y

M
  • Stig said:

Y

M
    C
  • Yes. If the idiot leaves and the new guys bring in Curbs as D of F all the better.
  • Dave2l said:

Why are we suddenly obsessed by Mick McCarthy

He's done a good job pretty much everywhere he's been and is available. I'm surprised by the unison on here but of managers available he's probably got the best proven track record and he gets teams promoted bar Ipswich who spent absolutely nothing in his time there and he still got them into the playoffs one year.

If he was appointed I'd just feel pretty confident that we'd be alright, whereas Bowyer is much more of a gamble.
  • sam3110 said:

No, too tactically naïve and inexperienced to lead us through a grueling league 1 campaign

And you know that based on 12 games with an unbalanced squad that was destined for mid table until he took over?
  • Any manager who takes off Fosu and brings on Kaikai needs to take a look at himself.

For me the Jury is out, the 12 games he had were very erratic, with half the games looking like KR had never left. BUT, with the squad he had perhaps that was the best we could reasonably expect. Our limitations up front ruined our season, with a proper goal scoring forward we may well have made it this year.

I would worry about him alone, being given our limited budget to build the side. But to manage the team and coach, I think he deserves a chance.
  • Bowyer has done a good job but will be a big gamble to appoint him full time and ask him to re build the squad. Same applies to Harry Kewell. Mick McCarthy will do for me and I believe he lives in Bromley. Should have appointed him 12 years ago instead of Dowie. I think a bit of dour northern grit wouldn't go a miss to get out of this northern division we are in.
  • Assuming we're getting new owners soon if I was pumping millions into a football club I'd like a proven manager at this level with a record of promotion as opposed to a relative novice. I also think Lee has an inkling already that he won't be in with a chance, surely the potential new owners would have assured him in private if they wanted him to stay when the sale goes through. He's not talking like he's expecting to be appointed.