Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do you want Bowyer as manager?

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2018

Scoham said:

Yes he deserves a chance. I’d like to see what he can do with his own squad rather than Robinson’s unbalanced one.

The title winning season showed it was far too early to judge Powell after his first half season. Bowyer’s had 12 games and made the play-offs. It’s clear already he has very different ideas to Robinson. Given a decent budget I think he’d put together a squad more suitable for winning promotion from League 1.

Going with Bowyer because Powell worked out is just silly though isn't it. Powell had been talked up as a future manager (by Sven I believe) and I'm pretty sure had a lot more badges by the time he took over than Bowyer has (could be wrong though)

I really like the guy and would completely get behind him should he be appointed but there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest he can build a squad suitable for winning promotion form League One is there? He's not had a similar job to do that anywhere in his coaching career so far. It's projecting based on his character he'd get some hard nuts in?

We're in the position with hopefully a new owner we'd be the most attractive club in the league (probably the biggest budget even with the worries about Muir's funding) to manage next season with Sunderland in the shit and if a proven manager like Mick McCarthy or someone would take over we'd be in a great position for a promotion push next year. With Bowyer we might do the same, or he might be in the very long list of caretaker managers who provide a bounce then suddenly do not.

I'm grateful for Bowyer causing some excitement in what seemed a very disappointing and frustrating season, but we don't have to appoint him because of that if there is a safer option out there or owe him the full time job.
    I’m not basing it on what Powell did, I’m just saying he deserves a chance and it’s too early judge him as a manager.

From watching games it was clear he had a more balanced approach than KR, who was focussed on playing out from the back, 4-2-3-1 and what he considered attractive football.

I’m not against a proven manager come in. If not Bowyer I’d like a young manager that’s had a good start to their career such as Nathan Jones. I’m not convinced experience is as important as it’s made out. Especially if the manager has experience within their back room staff.
  • Options

Any manager who takes off Fosu and brings on Kaikai needs to take a look at himself.

For me the Jury is out, the 12 games he had were very erratic, with half the games looking like KR had never left. BUT, with the squad he had perhaps that was the best we could reasonably expect. Our limitations up front ruined our season, with a proper goal scoring forward we may well have made it this year.

I would worry about him alone, being given our limited budget to build the side. But to manage the team and coach, I think he deserves a chance.

I agree it wasn't great bringing on Kakkak but it was doubtful whether Fossy was even going to be fit enough for the playoffs so running him into the ground for the full 90 minutes, especially with the over-physical approach Shrewsbury were utilising, wasn't really an option. It was a gamble and unfortunately it didn't work.

A better comment might have been along the lines of: "The manager should have taken off Fosu and either brought on Zyro, allowing Big Mag to float between the front line and the wing as required, or Reeves for as close to a like-for-like change as we could make."
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options
    Yes from me. Bowyer will have plenty of time navel gazing while he whiles away the hours that are being wasted by fishing. He will be able to analyse what worked and what didn’t. Even better, as the manager he will have the support of the fans that a non-charlton connected manager won’t.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    DOUCHER said:

Bowyer has done a good job but will be a big gamble to appoint him full time and ask him to re build the squad. Same applies to Harry Kewell. Mick McCarthy will do for me and I believe he lives in Bromley. Should have appointed him 12 years ago instead of Dowie. I think a bit of dour northern grit wouldn't go a miss to get out of this northern division we are in.

I believe Mick lives in Sunridge Park, Bromley enough for me. He obviously worked out the best bits of England. I'd have him over most of the rubbish wanabees managers we've been forced to endue under the Roland Turing.
    I don't think he would have been good enough for the last Prem season, (we took part in), but that hardly applies nowadays to us. Anyway would he want us?
    I think you have a good point though about grit, something that has been missing for most of the time with us and something that most teams in this division have in spades.

• Options

Scoham said:

Yes he deserves a chance. I’d like to see what he can do with his own squad rather than Robinson’s unbalanced one.

The title winning season showed it was far too early to judge Powell after his first half season. Bowyer’s had 12 games and made the play-offs. It’s clear already he has very different ideas to Robinson. Given a decent budget I think he’d put together a squad more suitable for winning promotion from League 1.

We're in the position with hopefully a new owner we'd be the most attractive club in the league (probably the biggest budget even with the worries about Muir's funding) to manage next season with Sunderland in the shit and if a proven manager like Mick McCarthy or someone would take over we'd be in a great position for a promotion push next year. With Bowyer we might do the same, or he might be in the very long list of caretaker managers who provide a bounce then suddenly do not.

Tbh I don't think we will be the most attractive club. Barnsley have got a pretty decent squad for league 1 and now have mega rich owners, Sunderland debts have all been cleared and imo will be firm favourites for the title and I would have us in that play off candidates promotion hopefuls category.
  • Options
    Yes from me

He's proved he can motivate the players and is flexible tactically. Players have really responded so things must be good on the training ground, though an experienced coach or two that he trusts would help

What hes not had to do is manage upwards and make decisions re players etc. He could do with some help with this again with someone he trusts and the board trusts, that's a difficult one, hope he gets on with Paul Elliot
  • Options
    No.
    "Deserving" a chance is not reason enough for a club like Charlton. Motivational speeches can only get you so far (e.g. Robinson). You need a lot more tactical nous and awareness to really make a difference and Bowyer came up short a few times. We're not a club where young managers should be cutting their cloth at. His time will hopefully come, but it's not yet.

Odds are they (if it is to be them?!) will kangaroo in Kewell. Me, and I've said it before, would have a word with Wycombe and give Gareth Ainsworth a go at it.
  • Options
    Yes deserves the chance.i said when he come in as coach I had a feeling he would be our manager. He reminds me of curbs.how he doesn't get over excited and stays calm I’m a referee and I was swearing my head of at that referee yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can sort of see the appeal with Mick McCarthy but there are plenty of good young relatively inexperienced managers who have done well this season

Mick should have probably replaced Curbs or Dowie all those years ago.

I want to get out of this league as much as anyone and the appointment has to be right but IF the ownership changes and there is some positivity and one or two that we expect to leave actually stay, Fosu and Bauer in particular, then I am reasonably confident Bowyer stands as good a chance as anyone with the right investment and planning.

Sunderland will romp the league next season but aside from that don’t fear anyone.

We have seen first hand how much more the fans get behind Charlton people, the only change I would make would be to have a more experienced man alongside him, with Jacko still on the coaching team.
  • Options
    I thought with McCarthy's Ipswich sides, he generally had a couple of flair players, 8 big strong bullying clones and a keeper. That is probably a formula more likely to succeed at this level. Not sure I want him as manager though but ultimately, whoever rids us of the Belgian To**er should be able to decide who they want and have our support.
  • Options
    No from me. He got off to a great start, but from Portsmouth on, the quality of football and the amount of chances produced has been poor. He lost three on the trot at the end, and had the season not ended, I think we would have embarked on a very poor run, because we seemed to have run out of ideas. I saw little in the way of inventiveness. Corners and free kicks yesterday were pathetic. We need someone more experienced, with more tactical nous. Just bring back Curbs, and let's get this club back on track!
  • Options

Tbh I don't think we will be the most attractive club. Barnsley have got a pretty decent squad for league 1 and now have mega rich owners, Sunderland debts have all been cleared and imo will be firm favourites for the title and I would have us in that play off candidates promotion hopefuls category.

Wasn't aware of Barnsley's ownership so fair enough they have some decent players but I'm very sceptical about how Sunderland's squad will shape up in League One and think it could be very heavily youth based. Obviously a long summer to go first admittedly.

I guess I just think we really need to get out of League One pretty quickly whilst we have the financial/size advantage before it fizzles out and we are just truly a League One team who aren't that out of place and I just think Mick would give us a much safer shot of doing that first time than Bowyer.
  • Options
    Bowyer's twelve games at the helm produced six wins, one draw and five defeats. Average
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    Admittedly we were so shite before Bowyer came in that it looks more impressive than it was. People complained about Robinson but how often did Bowyer have a plan B

My concern was we got the new manager effect but it wore off. I do believe there are better out there.

• Options
    Yes, he deserves a chance with his own squad.
  • Options
    Be interesting to see this as a poll...?
  • Options

Admittedly we were so shite before Bowyer came in that it looks more impressive than it was. People complained about Robinson but how often did Bowyer have a plan B

My concern was we got the new manager effect but it wore off. I do believe there are better out there.

In Bowyer's defence he didn't really have time to develop a plan B with the squad given the Easter and Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday run of matches we had, much like when Jose took over from St Christopher.

After the gobbledygook of Robbo, keeping it simple was the best course of action.

If His Lordship had a full pre-season to work with his squad I'm sure he could develop a suitable game plan and alternatives (themes and variations of 4-4-2 and/or different structures) to suit the players he had available to him and communicate that to his players in a way they'll understand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes but a new owner has to back him financially and build a team to not only get promoted but also to compete in the Championship.
  • Options

In Bowyer's defence he didn't really have time to develop a plan B with the squad given the Easter and Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday run of matches we had, much like when Jose took over from St Christopher.

After the gobbledygook of Robbo, keeping it simple was the best course of action.

If His Lordship had a full pre-season to work with his squad I'm sure he could develop a suitable game plan and alternatives (themes and variations of 4-4-2 and/or different structures) to suit the players he had available to him and communicate that to his players in a way they'll understand.
    possibly, we don't know and it's a gamble. I would happily take that gamble, but also would be slightly concerned at the same time.

It's most definitely a step into the unknown with new owners and management, but surely that's better than the known if it were RD and Robbo
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    se9addick said:

It would be good to see what other options are available as I would be concerned at the lack of experience in the coaching staff if we went into next season without some changes.

I think Bowyer did well to get us into the playoffs but he was shown up tactically over the two semi-final matches.

In fairness with the limitations of the squad he inherited. We have no goalscorer for a start.

I don't think it was necessarily tactical we lost those games. On both occasions they finished very well and we couldn't find the net. That was the main difference for me, that and - with caution because it's not an excuse - some diabolical refereeing.

I think where Bowyer made a mistake, and an understandable one, was sacrificing momentum in order to save players. Had we gone full strength into the previous 2 games I think we'd have the continuity and confidence we ultimately lacked in the play offs, something that had seen us win 2-0 at the same place we lost yesterday.

Personally I think Bowyer has earned a shot at managing us with his own players and systems, and bringing Curbs in as an experienced hand can only make him a better manager. I think he spotted the problems in the team and addressed them with what he had, that's all you can ask really, and he clearly won the players over and was a refreshing touch of class with the media.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be my first choice for me I would like Nathan Jones.

He knows Charlton having worked under Chris Powell, did an amazing job with our under 21s at the time. He knows a some of our squad already and can help develop them tactically as he is a very forward-thinking coach.

Did a decent job as assistant and coach at Brighton was very highly rated there, and the job he is now doing at Luton playing really neat passing football, 50% win rate got them promoted to league one scoring 94 goals.

Danny Cowley at Lincoln is another manager who is very good tactically and good at developing players only lost 36 games out of 170 games knows how to get results.
  • Options
    Bowyer should be given the chance with his own squad of players,if he makes a pigs ear out of it there will be a list of managers out there wanting to take charge of the team
  • Options

Yes. Ideally with an experienced guiding hand. I believe a successful former manager may be free.

Bowyer said in his post match interview that he would only be interested in being appointed Manager.

• Options

McCarthy has been mentioned quite many times on here but I wonder why? I wasn't closely following news about our managerial situation so could someone shed some light on this? Have there been any rumours about him coming to us? He's never managed below the second division, why would he want to come here?

McCarthy lives locally so gets mentioned for that reason in my view as much as anything else.
  • Options
    Does anyone think any other club in the Football league would offer Bowyer a managers position?

It's a no from me.
  • Options
    reserves said:

Does anyone think any other club in the Football league would offer Bowyer a managers position?

It's a no from me.

I couldn't give a toss what any other club thinks.