Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Do you want Bowyer as manager?

Comments

• edited May 2018
    After Robbo, Bowyer was a breath of fresh air.
    Couldn't keep it going for various reasons, but did tighten the defense but couldn't get blood from a stone with the attack.
    If we could find a Jack Marriott type who scored 33 goals for Posh in all competitions.

I would take 23 goal with an average of 1 in 2 games in league. Even the lanquid BWP scored over 20 and he never looked over interested in some games.

I would give Bowyer and JJ a decent 1 year contract with a 2 year option depending on results, but help them with an experienced Wheeler-dealer on the transfer front.
  • Yes. He has stuck to the same tactics and it hasn't worked, but think that's more to do with the players he has, or lack of. Starting the season with 1 striker is what killed us. Not enough goals
  • It’s a difficult question to answer without knowing what the options are and what sort of ambition the new owners will have. On the face of it, Lee has done us a good turn but is inexperienced, possibly a bit naive and a hard guy (for me at least) to take to although that’s not important in the overall equation. If we really had the chance of a proper experienced manager of the McCarthy calibre as opposed to Slade or a semi-proven up and coming manager like Nathan then I’d prefer that. But I’d certainly take a Lee/JJ combo over a left field no mark or an Aussie.
  • The thing is Lee has inherited Robinsons squad and moulded something that was clearly better than the sum of its parts that Gobbo could deliver - best 10 game start for Charlton coach?
    However, my view is that the job of manager/coach is primarily to motivate - you have to be a motivator , which Lee doesnt come over as being tbh.
    My answer is no, we should be looking at the Mich Mccarthy type - or someone like Hirst from Shrewsbury who has built a 'team' of players who have cost eff all, mainly from non-league. Lets hope that Andrew Muir was sitting there on Sunday thinking, "wow, this Shrewsbury team is well managed - we could do with someone like him."
  • 100% yes. He and Jacko are young, ambitious and Charlton through and through. A good basis to build on.
  • No. We need a manager to get us out of this league straight away. Upset Southend and bring Powell back. Other than that, McCarthy.
  • edited May 2018
    I think we did well against teams who tried to beat us - but we have had the achilles heel all season when we are pressed and bullied by strong, physical opponents and the opposing team ensures they get bodies behind the ball when defending. When we beat Shrewsbury, it was a game they had to win - Plymouth thought we were there for the taking, Portsmouth and Blackburn needed wins - there is a pattern emerging! But probably one of the most ordinary teams in the division (AFC Wimbledon) bullied us to a defeat. Scunthorpe did an even better job on us than Shrewsbury did!

That has to be the starting point when planning for next season. Shrewsbury are a decent side, but the point is quite a few big strong sides that were not so decent did exactly the same job on us! I'm not sure Bowyer is the man to do this, but it certainly wasn't his fault we had this weakness. If he was announced manager, i'd be happy he has impressed the new owner though.
  • masicat said:

No. We need a manager to get us out of this league straight away. Upset Southend and bring Powell back. Other than that, McCarthy.

Most of the Ipswich fans couldn't wait to see the back of McCarthy. Played boring long ball stuff. Not really sure he's the answer.
  • Obviously a step up on Robinson but KRs 4-2-3-1 was Bow's diamond. Despite Shrews getting on top in 2nd half of both matches, he didn't try to match them up three at the back despite being able to do so without a sub.

A NO from me.
  • Until we replace mcguiness and Ajose up front there is not a manager on the planet who could get us to finish top two
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes......give the guy a chance to build his own squad.
    He did remarkably well to get us into the playoffs with a pretty mediocre squad.
  • Obviously a step up on Robinson but KRs 4-2-3-1 was Bow's diamond. Despite Shrews getting on top in 2nd half of both matches, he didn't try to match them up three at the back despite being able to do so without a sub.

A NO from me.

I agree with your point on formations. Shrewsbury's 3-5-2 completed negated our formation and meant unless we moved the ball quickly and precisely, we just ended up stuck in our own corners with our fullback's having no options to pass to.

Thought he would have been brave enough to change it around the second leg and maybe tried to match them in midfield at least. The only time we looked in the game to me was when Ajose and Fosu were dropping deep to link up play.

That being said, he is only in the infancy of his management, and if you look at the run of games we had he actually did pretty bloody good. If theres no other suitable candidates then I'd be more than happy to give him a go. That being said I'd bite your hand of for Chris Powell and a bit of financial backing again.

A NO from me.

I thought Shrewsbury played 4-5-1?
  • Scoham said:

Obviously a step up on Robinson but KRs 4-2-3-1 was Bow's diamond. Despite Shrews getting on top in 2nd half of both matches, he didn't try to match them up three at the back despite being able to do so without a sub.

A NO from me.

I thought Shrewsbury played 4-5-1?
    It's down as 4-4-1. But it appeared most off the time one of there defensive midfielders would drop into the back making a 3 and then there full backs would push right up the pitch.
  • If curbishley came in as part of bowyers set up then I think that could work well just jacko and bowyer wouldn't b ideal
  • edited May 2018
    If we were asking this question while in The Championship, I would want someone else. But this is League Fucking One, the waiting room for teams to go into administration. The pickings are slim down here, so I believe we should stick with what we got in Bowyer. Because we can't do much better... but can do a whole lot worse.
  • Yes. I think he has all the qualities to be a good manager. Still quite young though and with a bit more experience and backing could be the next Chris Powell.
  • Absolutely not. He has been involved in a number of very unsavoury incidents and i dont think he is a good fit with the Charlton ethos of community and respect. Hypocritical of the club to persist with the anti racism , anti violence message with him in charge. Apart from all this he is completely inexperienced, lacks the nous and gravitas that people like Powell, Hurst, Parkinson and others bring to the table. Tactically he does not have a scooby. Just look at the two Shrewsbury play off games. Out thought at every stage.
  • Yes to Bowyer staying. Turned a sinking ship around and got the fans on board in the process.

He's played at the highest level. Players look like they respect him. Don't imagine he'll take any nonsense.

Given a full preseason and some money for his own signings to blend with the squad he already knows then he could be a very good fit for next season.

Can't see Mick coming down to league one.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2018

Yes. Ideally with an experienced guiding hand. I believe a successful former manager may be free.

I cannot see any case for Kewell above Bow. Not a single thing.

I agree with this.

But it's a no on both for me.

I'd like to keep Bowyer as a coach, but over two legs against Shrews, as well as in the game against Wimbledon, Bristol, and a couple other times he showed real tactical naivety. Taking our players and reducing us to lump it long to Josh to win flick ons to Ajose is ridiculous. He is young and he will learn, but I think a lot of promising coaches become managers too quickly and it can really stunt their growth.

Hopefully next season will see a revamp at the top and we'll almost certainly need to bring in a lot of players due to losing some to returning to their parent clubs if nothing else. I desperately hope we bring in a Director of Football to oversee that stuff, and really utilize Steve Gallon who has been excellent thus far. But I don't see Bowyer as the man to lead a major overhaul. I think he got us through the end of the season with a lot of grit and determination. But a whole season requires a lot more than that. And next season will be so important and we need to get a managerial appointment right. And I think Bowyer represents far too big of a risk.

I really hope we keep him and Jacko on the coaching staff, bring in a manager and another assistant, and potentially add Alou Diarra as a player/coach.

A NO from me.

So one mistake and it’s a NO......A mistake that’s only your opinion anyway.
    Ridiculous reason to dismiss him considering his achievement in getting us into the playoffs in the first place.
  • Absolutely not. He has been involved in a number of very unsavoury incidents and i dont think he is a good fit with the Charlton ethos of community and respect. Hypocritical of the club to persist with the anti racism , anti violence message with him in charge. Apart from all this he is completely inexperienced, lacks the nous and gravitas that people like Powell, Hurst, Parkinson and others bring to the table. Tactically he does not have a scooby. Just look at the two Shrewsbury play off games. Out thought at every stage.

Blimey!
  • On the face of it his final tally of results wasn't really good enough to justify a permanent appointment. But then again, neither was Powell at the end of 2010-2011.

I'd certainly prefer him to Harry Kewell, or any other Australian manager.

I'd conclude, then, that unless someone really heavyweight is brought in, that Bowyer should stay for the whole of 2018-2019, with Jackson and the rest of the crew.
  • edited May 2018
    Yes, think he deserves a chance. We’ve had so many duds. Karl Robinson made the point well the other day when he said Charlton needs a manager with a connection to the club. I agree. But I think Bowyer and JJ need help. I’d like to see Curbs as a DoF.
  • Bowyer and Jacko have worked wonders with this squad. Give them a crack at it over the summer and next season
  • Whoever does the job needs to understand the type of player in the division and how many games are played. Bring in players with proven fitness records, players who are capable of trapping a bag of cement, don't need to be world beaters just professional players who have the intelligence to do what they are told.

What fucks me off with football is people over complicate it, I'm not going to be as medieval as to possibly suggest it's a simple thing to just score more goals, working with players who can turn up, keep things simple and work for each other. The rest 90 times put of 100 will look after itself.

We are overloaded with some pretty technically gifted players but this league and the one above doesn't require that, Bowyer gave the ball players we have a solid boot up the arse however I'm sorry to say a lot of them are dyed in the wool pussies. You need to earn your right to win games and compete. When Powell was here competing was not an issue certainly in our promotion season or the following ones, we got found out more often than not for a loss of quality in the championship under Powelly. In this league under Robinson we were soooo easy to suss out and bully.

Build from the back, get two proper full backs in, the midfield needs at least 2 guys who can play 70 games between them and be an engine, at least 2 forward players who can do a similar number of games but be prepared to work their bollocks off chasing lost causes and work defenders, so many defensive mistakes are made at this level we don't need someone like Yann (although I would kill a man to have him back) as opportunities will present themselves.

The blanks can then be filled in but we need, more than anything a strong core of fit, professional footballers who will compete and work. We could have Klopp, Mourinho, Guardiola and they wouldn't get our current squad of lightweights promoted
  • Or if not, pay whatever it takes to get Powell and Dyer back. Give him a pot of money and we’d go up I reckon.
  • I'm not against a new start and change of manager. Bowyer did well to get us in the playoffs and got us battling but it would be nice to see a coach come in and get us playing good football.

Charlton are the only side in the football league where it's possible for a striker like Ajose to play about 9 games and have 1 shot on goal in 9 games. Our whole style of play needs to change if we want to go up.
  • edited May 2018
    Carter said:

Whoever does the job needs to understand the type of player in the division and how many games are played. Bring in players with proven fitness records, players who are capable of trapping a bag of cement, don't need to be world beaters just professional players who have the intelligence to do what they are told.

What fucks me off with football is people over complicate it, I'm not going to be as medieval as to possibly suggest it's a simple thing to just score more goals, working with players who can turn up, keep things simple and work for each other. The rest 90 times put of 100 will look after itself.

We are overloaded with some pretty technically gifted players but this league and the one above doesn't require that, Bowyer gave the ball players we have a solid boot up the arse however I'm sorry to say a lot of them are dyed in the wool pussies. You need to earn your right to win games and compete. When Powell was here competing was not an issue certainly in our promotion season or the following ones, we got found out more often than not for a loss of quality in the championship under Powelly. In this league under Robinson we were soooo easy to suss out and bully.

Build from the back, get two proper full backs in, the midfield needs at least 2 guys who can play 70 games between them and be an engine, at least 2 forward players who can do a similar number of games but be prepared to work their bollocks off chasing lost causes and work defenders, so many defensive mistakes are made at this level we don't need someone like Yann (although I would kill a man to have him back) as opportunities will present themselves.

The blanks can then be filled in but we need, more than anything a strong core of fit, professional footballers who will compete and work. We could have Klopp, Mourinho, Guardiola and they wouldn't get our current squad of lightweights promoted

Carter said:

Whoever does the job needs to understand the type of player in the division and how many games are played. Bring in players with proven fitness records, players who are capable of trapping a bag of cement, don't need to be world beaters just professional players who have the intelligence to do what they are told.

Totally agree - you need a manager who can look at what we have and see what we need. What Curbs achieved up until the end if 2004 was to improve the team/squad continuously. He saw where we needed to be and where the gaps where and when we got there where we could improve further. I think the template is as you say the strong core of fit, professional footballers and the challenge is, how do you elevate them to something more than our opponents have.

This is a completely different skill to in game management. It is about building a team. Powell's reluctance to change things during a game was much criticised, including by me. But he saw where we were short when he joined us as manager and with a small amount of money and an even smaller amount of time, he transformed us. It was a massive achievement that is not recognised as much as it should be IMO.

What we don't know about Bowyer is his vision. How will he build on the strengths of the squad and deal with its weaknesses. What he has to do is not impress us, or say hire me or fire me to the new owners, but show them he has a vision for next season on how he can address this. If I was a new owner, I would look at his passion and belief in his plan and if it is genuine, I'd give him a go. If the pitch is getting another manager's team to play better - well that is an achievement but in itself not enough.