Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do you want Bowyer as manager?

Comments

• Options
    This wasn't a jury conviction - he pled guilty. They yelled "Paki bastard" when they threw the chairs.

I don't want to seem that I'm raking this all back up - I have been pleasantly surprised by Bowyer as manager and the way he has conducted himself. I'm glad he has put it well and truly behind him.
  • Options
    So Bowyer has pluses and minuses like every potential manager:

Plus-

Played for Charlton even though a long time ago, can be made out to be proper Charlton

Played at a high level and was a Charlton like player at that level

Comes across well in his interviews, not too complicated.

Knows the current players well and can get a shift out of a lot of them.

Cons:

Never bought a player in his life?

Struggles with in game positional restructure (not alone there but a really ally good manager can change the formation with a sub rather than take of tired legs with less in form legs coming on)

......:

If he was given a director of football and a reasonable budget, I’d definitely give him a go.
  • Options

This wasn't a jury conviction - he pled guilty. They yelled "Paki bastard" when they threw the chairs.

I don't want to seem that I'm raking this all back up - I have been pleasantly surprised by Bowyer as manager and the way he has conducted himself. I'm glad he has put it well and truly behind him.

I have read more into it and what you say seems to ring true, previously all I had seen was that he was acquitted so assumed from that, there was no evidence against him. So I apologise for that and like yourself it does seem he has turned his life around.
  • Options
    SMW28 said:

I have read more into it and what you say seems to ring true, previously all I had seen was that he was acquitted so assumed from that, there was no evidence against him. So I apologise for that and like yourself it does seem he has turned his life around.
    He was acquitted by a jury of a later accusation when Woodgate was found guilty of affray - though I believe he did make an out of court settlement to the Asian victims. Anyway, agreed, let's move on.
  • Options

Bowyer narrowly escaped jail after appearing in court for a violent drunken brawl in a McDonald's restaurant.

Bowyer - then the nation's most expensive teenage footballer - was caught on video throwing chairs at two Asian staff at the drive-in fast-food outlet in the Isle of Dogs, east London in 1996.

He was 19 at the time and had just been transferred from Charlton Athletic to Leeds for £3.5 m. Thames Magistrates Court heard how Bowyer and two friends arrived at the McDonald's in Trafalgar Way at 6am and after an argument over the menu rushed in and started throwing chairs. Two members of staff were injured in the attack.

Shamsu Mia suffered a bruised head and cuts and grazes and Mizam Hannan suffered bruising and a cut on his scalp which needed five stitches.

The three attackers were "clearly drunk", according to police.

Bowyer admitted affray, was fined £4,500 and ordered to pay £175 to the two victims.

Leeds United also fined Bowyer £4,000 and warned him that a repetition could result in his being sold. Magistrates told the footballer they had nearly jailed him for his part in the "disgraceful incident".

I've had fights and altercatioms with most ethnicities at various stages of my life as I suspect has Lee Bowyer. I'm not racist but the way the world is now I bet I'd be labelled a racist for rolling around on a pub floor with a black man swapping windmills

Lee Bowyer is not a racist
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Would love someone to explain to my why Mick would come down and manage in League One for the first time in his 16 years as manager? The answer is... there is no reason. There are plenty of clubs above us that can pay more and that are closer to the big dance than us. So let's start talking about managers who would be willing to work here. Once we start doing that, it becomes clear there is no one truly available who is any better than what we have, likely. League One is not just where crap players play, but where crap managers manage.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Would love someone to explain to my why Mick would come down and manage in League One for the first time in his 16 years as manager? The answer is... there is no reason. There are plenty of clubs above us that can pay more and that are closer to the big dance than us. So let's start talking about managers who would be willing to work here. Once we start doing that, it becomes clear there is no one truly available who is any better than what we have, likely. League One is not just where crap players play, but where crap managers manage.

A new manager joined Charlton in 1933, when they were in the doldrums. Ex England international, league winner twice, FA Cup winner once, couple of years learning the managerial ropes in Div 3 (South). Risky signing, but worked out well enough in the end.
  • Options

You obviously don’t know that he lives (and has for many years), about a 15 minute drive from the training ground in a very posh district called Chislehurst.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

A new manager joined Charlton in 1933, when they were in the doldrums. Ex England international, league winner twice, FA Cup winner once, couple of years learning the managerial ropes in Div 3 (South). Risky signing, but worked out well enough in the end.
    Jimmy Trotter?
  • Options

You obviously don’t know that he lives (and has for many years), about a 15 minute drive from the training ground in a very posh district called Chislehurst.
    Bickley, which is even posher.

Plus he's out of work and would have the Aussies huge war chest to spend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JamesSeed said:

Jimmy Trotter?
    What?! He was a manager??
  • Options
    Living in East Anglia, I heard a lot about "Mick", he was great when he first arrived at Portman Road, then starved of money, he ran out of ideas. In the end the supporters started calling for him to go. This got to him, and he walked out of the club. Would he come to a league one club?, I doubt it .As Napaaddick said, no good experienced manager wants to come to a league one club, unless they were paid megger bucks, so that leaves existing league one managers, usually one who has, probably, just been sacked by his former club. I'm all for giving Lee Bowyer a chance, it worked well for us in the past, ie., Curbs, and Sir Chris. I think he has got the makings.
    Jimmy Seed (The real one.) was the best manager this club has ever had, the combination of him, and the Gliksteins were making us one of the top clubs in the country. Sadly the war, and Albert's death stopped all that, and the gradual decline then began.
  • Options

Living in East Anglia, I heard a lot about "Mick", he was great when he first arrived at Portman Road, then starved of money, he ran out of ideas. In the end the supporters started calling for him to go. This got to him, and he walked out of the club. Would he come to a league one club?, I doubt it .As Napaaddick said, no good experienced manager wants to come to a league one club, unless they were paid megger bucks, so that leaves existing league one managers, usually one who has, probably, just been sacked by his former club. I'm all for giving Lee Bowyer a chance, it worked well for us in the past, ie., Curbs, and Sir Chris. I think he has got the makings.
    Jimmy Seed (The real one.) was the best manager this club has ever had, the combination of him, and the Gliksteins were making us one of the top clubs in the country. Sadly the war, and Albert's death stopped all that, and the gradual decline then began.

You're in!
  • Options
    Need someone -now.
    Who is building a team?
  • Options

Need someone -now.
    Who is building a team?

Steve Gallan?

As far as I know Bowyer is still employed by Charlton.
  • Options
    but not as manager
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I look at the man as he is now, not what he did as a young lad. Experience is something you can choose to learn from. If he was named manager I would assume he has impressed the owner with his plans and I'll be happy. Of course there is a risk, there are different elements to being a manager - squad building and getting the best out of the squad you have are different skills. We have seen he has the latter. I'd rather an unproven potential gem than a proven Mr average like Slade.

But ultimately, the new owner has to make the choice and they ought to try to make it the right one. They will be better placed to do it than we are - but they have the capacity to get it wrong as we have the capacity to be right. I am happy that our next manager should impress them though - it's their money. if its Bowyer great, lets all get behind him. If it is somebody else, great, lets all get behind him.
  • Options
    There are two things that need to happen when the new owners rock up: build a side capable of promotion, and rebuild the club - by which I mean bringing all the fans back onside after the last four disastrous years and getting back to the "old" Charlton.

In my opinion (which, of course, counts for sweet FA) the second part is the most important for the future of the club; get that bit right and the first part won't be far behind.

It is also my (worthless) opinion that Lord Bowyer is the best man to lead this re-birth, judging by the way he galvanised both the players and the fans in the two months of his temporary stewardship.
  • Options
    I know it will be an unpopular opinion but Bowyer showed himself to be tactically naive in the final three games of the season. He's inexperienced and of course will learn, but how quickly?

It's impossible to say "yes" or "no" to Bowyer without knowing what the alternative could be, but if it was a straight choice with Mick McCarthy I'd probably take the later as I think that's the more likely option that gets us out of this bloody division next season.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I know it will be an unpopular opinion but Bowyer showed himself to be tactically naive in the final three games of the season. He's inexperienced and of course will learn, but how quickly?

It's impossible to say "yes" or "no" to Bowyer without knowing what the alternative could be, but if it was a straight choice with Mick McCarthy I'd probably take the later as I think that's the more likely option that gets us out of this bloody division next season.

Not so sure it’s unpopular, more that Bow showed signs he will be a good manager.

I have no problem with McCarthy but would like Bow to be given the chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Bow wasn’t as ex player would you want him?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    se9addick said:

I'm not sure that was the case. The team had a weakness and against teams that tried to beat us or at least outplay us, it performed well. When a team focused on stopping us and yes, fouled a bit etc... we did less well. Even Wigan, who were impressive, focused on this spoiling at the Valley. It isn't a complaint it is part of football and you have to deal with it.

Personnel surely had a big part to play here. What killed us was Shrewsbury's excellent goal at the Valley and our lack of bite in the attacking third. All Bowyer could do was paper over the cracks which he largely did. Had we got the first against Shrewsbury, we may be celebrating tonight.
  • Options
    I worry that Bowyer thinks we are better than what we are...which is a problem. Some of his comments towards the end of the season we very wide of the mark...

"No-one will beat us over 2 legs"
    "We were the better team vs Shrewsbury"

We need someone to come in that isn't the players mate and can evaluate our squad accurately i.e. see that we are absolutely hopeless upfront and do something about it....not start next season with Magennis because he's a good bloke / works hard (which I reckon Bowyer would do).
  • Options
    He wanted to instil confidence - in both the players and the fans. I like that sort of manager.
  • Options
    I'd like to see him get the job, it would have to be someone with a lot more experience IMO. I say this as someone with strong doubts about his past behaviour, but I think he's shown that's behind him. I would expect that if he was permanent though it would get a lot more scrutiny (and likely hostile scrutiny given how many in the press are allied to Millwall or Palace). There would need to be a plan in place to deal with this sort of stuff as it would only be a distraction.

I think having someone who "gets" Charlton is important. They don't have to have had a previous connection, but if we are serious about rebuilding the club the manager needs to be someone with a strong identification with the club.
  • Options

I worry that Bowyer thinks we are better than what we are...which is a problem. Some of his comments towards the end of the season we very wide of the mark...

"No-one will beat us over 2 legs"
    "We were the better team vs Shrewsbury"

We need someone to come in that isn't the players mate and can evaluate our squad accurately i.e. see that we are absolutely hopeless upfront and do something about it....not start next season with Magennis because he's a good bloke / works hard (which I reckon Bowyer would do).

Similar things were said about Powell. Like Powell I think he’d want the best players with (the right character) he could get and wouldn’t get afraid to let others go.
  • Options
    The major issue, whoever gets the job is that Powell had part of the previous season to identify what was needed and then the Summer to put things in place. He started early and got most of it done in good time. We don't even have a manager yet.

The less time we have, the more important we get a manager in who knows what is needed. One that doesn't need time to find out.
  • Options

Bickley, which is even posher.

Plus he's out of work and would have the Aussies huge war chest to spend.
    Is that the same "huge war chest" that so far, can't seem to find the money to buy the club in the first place almost half a year after we found out they wanted it?
  • Options
    In the last 2 seasons, Ipswich have scored 105 goals in 92 matches, for an average of 1.14 per match. Last year, it was 1.04 goals per match.

No thank you.

Plus, the guy has been managing since 1988 and has never once managed in the third division. I just don't see him taking a pay cut to come down here now. His services will have demand in The Championship within a few months. He can afford to wait it out.

• Options

If Bow wasn’t as ex player would you want him?

It’s becuse he was an ex-player that we do want him. The support for him and the team that was generated in the last part of the season was phenomenal. We know from SCP’s days in charge that even when things arent always going right on the pitch that the charlton fans will still get behind the manager. That’s probably worth a good ten points at least.