Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Do you want Bowyer as manager?

Comments

• edited May 2018
    Scoham said:

Yes he deserves a chance. I’d like to see what he can do with his own squad rather than Robinson’s unbalanced one.

The title winning season showed it was far too early to judge Powell after his first half season. Bowyer’s had 12 games and made the play-offs. It’s clear already he has very different ideas to Robinson. Given a decent budget I think he’d put together a squad more suitable for winning promotion from League 1.

Going with Bowyer because Powell worked out is just silly though isn't it. Powell had been talked up as a future manager (by Sven I believe) and I'm pretty sure had a lot more badges by the time he took over than Bowyer has (could be wrong though)

I really like the guy and would completely get behind him should he be appointed but there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest he can build a squad suitable for winning promotion form League One is there? He's not had a similar job to do that anywhere in his coaching career so far. It's projecting based on his character he'd get some hard nuts in?

We're in the position with hopefully a new owner we'd be the most attractive club in the league (probably the biggest budget even with the worries about Muir's funding) to manage next season with Sunderland in the shit and if a proven manager like Mick McCarthy or someone would take over we'd be in a great position for a promotion push next year. With Bowyer we might do the same, or he might be in the very long list of caretaker managers who provide a bounce then suddenly do not.

I'm grateful for Bowyer causing some excitement in what seemed a very disappointing and frustrating season, but we don't have to appoint him because of that if there is a safer option out there or owe him the full time job.
  • I'll probably get a season ticket if he & jacko are kept on.
  • McCarthy has been mentioned quite many times on here but I wonder why? I wasn't closely following news about our managerial situation so could someone shed some light on this? Have there been any rumours about him coming to us? He's never managed below the second division, why would he want to come here?

The reason McCarthy is mentioned, he lives a few miles from Charlton, is available, often watches games here and although we’re in League one the size of the club probably would appeal to him. But other than that it’s pure speculation.
  • McCarthy has been mentioned quite many times on here but I wonder why? I wasn't closely following news about our managerial situation so could someone shed some light on this? Have there been any rumours about him coming to us? He's never managed below the second division, why would he want to come here?

He lives locally. He's met with the club in the past. He refused to even talk to us last summer when we were looking to appoint someone because he didn't want to work under Roland. But he would listen - I'm pretty sure of that

• Redrobo said:

SCP for me. Damian Mathews if not.

If it is Lee, he needs an experienced assistant manager.

This. One of these two, with Bowyer and Jackson a big part of the coaching team.
  • Bowyer is in possession of the job, tactically he can only work with the players at his disposal and I'm sure if we had more physicality in the squad he would have deployed it over the past two games.

I'd say yes I would like him to be given a chance but I don't think he will be here sadly next season.
  • I’m hoping that Paul Elliott is the “football” man and has influence enough to reject what he knows would be a negative appointment in football terms and as far as the fans are concerned. Paul knows the club inside out and is well aware of the fans feelings and has seen the “bowyer effect” first hand. Muir and Murphy won’t have any of that knowledge. Hasn’t Muir already said something about giving the club back to the fans ? Kewell at this point would be sheer madness and frankly would worry me. It would be pure Aussie PR and completely secondary to the needs of the football club.

Fine if we have an experienced man with a track record lined up but if not then it’s Bowyer and Jackson all day long.
  • I expect he'd make a decent manager. That said, I think some of the excitement exhibited after his first few wins was well over the top. For me though, it's all contingent on who the owner is. I want an owner with a vision to make the club successful and a plan to make that happen. If they want Bowyer as part of the plan, than I'd be more than happy with that. If they have other plans, then so be it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd like to see Bowyer and JJ to stay. Robinson was another recent Charlton manager who signed players without the drive to win any league. Bowyer's effect on our competitiveness has been impressive.

Got a lot of time for Mick McCarthy but not his brand of football: It can be exciting as he likes wingers. I'd prefer Kenny Jackett as his team has an eye for exciting talent, coupled with spotting affordable committed lower league footballers. Unfortunately he's got a 3 year deal at Portsmouth.
  • Dave2l said:

To those who say that Lord Bowyer is too inexperienced I mention the following gentlemen:

Lennie, Duke of Selhurst
    Curbs, Earl of Wembley
    St Christopher

How many matches had they had as a manager before taking over our great club?
    Did they make a pig's ear of their time in charge? Probably not given they are the three longest-serving managers of the club over the last 30-odd years and the most successful.

No further witnesses your Honour, the case for the defence now rests.

Just to also add something to your point.

Russel Slade has plenty of experience....

A lot
    You have to match experience with track record or what’s the point ?

• It's a no from me we need a experienced manager who knows what he wants and what it takes to get out of this division bowyer has no transfer targets so that's a bad start he said yesterday he will just wait and see what happens and come back when pre season starts we don't need that we need someone working there bollocks off getting us players and setting us up for next season
  • FAVADDICK said:

It's a no from me we need a experienced manager who knows what he wants and what it takes to get out of this division bowyer has no transfer targets so that's a bad start he said yesterday he will just wait and see what happens and come back when pre season starts we don't need that we need someone working there bollocks off getting us players and setting us up for next season

Yes he did say that but one phone call would I’m sure change all that.

• SCP was new to management, but Lee is in a different situation.

Chris had time to plan, identify targets and knew so many players and people in the game. Lee has been ‘gone fishing’ since his playing career ended and has been living in another country. To me, he is not in a position to build a team.

If he decides to stay in management I have no doubt he will become a good one, but we need experience at this point in time.
  • Yes from me he has done well and deserves his chance with Jacko. Curbs as DoF would be great if possible. No chance with Mick McCarthy he said on the Danny Baker show on Saturday he is looking for a return to the Premiership or at least another Championship side with ambitions to go up so that rules us out.
  • Dave2l said:

To those who say that Lord Bowyer is too inexperienced I mention the following gentlemen:

Lennie, Duke of Selhurst
    Curbs, Earl of Wembley
    St Christopher

How many matches had they had as a manager before taking over our great club?
    Did they make a pig's ear of their time in charge? Probably not given they are the three longest-serving managers of the club over the last 30-odd years and the most successful.

No further witnesses your Honour, the case for the defence now rests.

Just to also add something to your point.

Russel Slade has plenty of experience....

A lot
    You have to match experience with track record or what’s the point ?

Yes, I agree
  • Yes from me he has done well and deserves his chance with Jacko. Curbs as DoF would be great if possible. No chance with Mick McCarthy he said on the Danny Baker show on Saturday he is looking for a return to the Premiership or at least another Championship side with ambitions to go up so that rules us out.

I don't think McCarthy will get a prem gig but I am sure a few Champ clubs would take him.

IF he were willing to drop to League 1, I think Barnsley would possibly be the club he would go so I think we can rule it out.

Still want Nathan Jones personally if it's not Bowyer.
  • Give him a chance.

Its a results business at the end of the day so I would say give him a reasonable amount of time going into next season.

He knows the squad and knows how we need to improve.

Already has a head start in comparison to any new manager, from that perspective.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:

SCP was new to management, but Lee is in a different situation.

Chris had time to plan, identify targets and knew so many players and people in the game. Lee has been ‘gone fishing’ since his playing career ended and has been living in another country. To me, he is not in a position to build a team.

If he decides to stay in management I have no doubt he will become a good one, but we need experience at this point in time.

You make it sound like Bowyer only stepped back into the country and football when he was asked to become caretaker!

He may have taken a couple of years out after retirement as a player (and why not, everyone needs time to recharge their batteries) but he was brought into the club as assistant by Robbo last summer and was coaching Watford's U23s with Harry Kewell prior to that, so he's had plenty of time to assess the situation.

It can't be any worse than clubs drafting in a random manager from overseas who knows diddly-squat about English football and the lower leagues.
  • Yes.
    He knows our values and standards.
    What are the options ?
    Another Fraye or Luzon type character?
    No thanks.
  • No - was an ideal caretaker as he freed the players from Robinson's inflexible tactics and gave them belief, but showed his naivety in the playoffs (also in his media comments).
  • Absolutely yes, Bowyer and Jackson at least deserve a full season for what they've done since KR left. Alright we didn't win the play offs, we were outplayed, simple.

If we had won the play offs I bet you'd want him then.
  • Lee Bowyer as Manager, Jacko as Asst. and Mick McCarthy as Director of Football ... that would be my choice
  • Yes, with Curbs or Lennie as DoF.
  • _MrDick said:

Lee Bowyer as Manager, Jacko as Asst. and Mick McCarthy Curbs as Director of Football ... that would be my choice

• The only reason I would say yes would be to bring the supporters behind the new owners but if it was down to purely footballing reasons I'm not convinced with Bowyers tactics and nowse to break down physically committed league one sides.
  • I'd like McCarthy on a one year contract with Bowyer as assistant manager.
    Bowyer then to takeover once McCarthy leaves.
    Bowyer would learn a lot under McCarthy and would be in a much better position to take over permanently.