Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Plymouth Fan In Peace - Saturdays Game

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

clb74 said:

LenGlover said:

clb74 said:

Oggy Red said:

clb74 said:

Oggy Red said:

Obviously they’re on a great run but those numbers are beyond impressive when you consider how far they have travelled (most from London of course ) we don’t always get them numbers (when available) for London fixtures !
    FairPlay proper away numbers, we can but dream

Living in Cornwall, I've got plenty of Argyle mates - some who came up specially for the game yesterday.
    They're the nearest local League club after all.

The Green Army always have a sizeable away following, often putting ours to shame.
    And it's a long, long way from Plymouth to most grounds in the country.

Sure, they've got plenty of 'ex-pats' living and working in London.
    But there's been a hell of a buzz in the local press about this game - and most of their fans have travelled up from in and around Plymouth.

Why is that Oggy?
    Plymouth/Cornwall have high unemployment, the wages are low and day out in London don't come cheap.
    Sort of been explained before baldy
    The wages are not as low as people think and housing rent costs a lot lower.
    A couple i know from Bradford earn about 45000 between them and got a large 3 bed in cleackheaton for £100000
    Housing and rents are not cheap, either.

You won't get a 3 bedroom house anywhere near £100 k, lol
    At least double the price and think again.

I've got family in Kent - house prices and rents there are not much different to down here.
    Wages are amongst the lowest in the country. Many couples can only dream of earning £45,000 between them.

Few three bed houses for around £100000 in Plymouth.
    Regarding wages is Plymouth not part of the national minimum wage.
    I've just gone on Rightmove searching for 3 bedrooms or more, not retirement, not shared ownership and parking in Devon as a whole.

There are park homes and the odd maisonette or flat around £100K but you are looking at £150K plus for any form of 3 bed house.
    Sorry Len was using it as an example i see there are 1 bed flats for £60000 so if you have a young couple working at Wetherspoons on £15000 each and the mortgage is £300 youd have quite a bit of spare cash a month.
    So I had a look on the net and found advertised (situated in student land in Plymouth) a 1 bed flat in an old house conversion, "For sale by Modern Method of Auction: Starting Bid Price £60,000.00 plus Reservation Fee" ..... is this the one you saw?

But it's an auction guide price, starting bids at £60,000.

Typically auction houses put an unrealistically low 'guide price', purely to attract a high level of interest.
    You can bet your life a property like this will sell for around £100k.

But it's unlikely to be bought by your "young couple working at Weatherspoons on £15,000 each".
    Assuming they've saved and scrimped to get their 25% deposit together, legal fees, etc, they'll be outbid.

More likely it will be snapped up by an investor - and rented back to the "young couple" at £500k plus per month.
    And they still won't be able to afford to save for a bigger deposit for a 1-bed flat at market prices.

Did anyone mention 3-bed houses .....?

I did oggy plenty of 3 beds up to £150000 flats terraced and semis .
    My three bed terrace rabbit hutch £450000 in bromley.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Oggy Red said:

clb74 said:

LenGlover said:

clb74 said:

Oggy Red said:

clb74 said:

Oggy Red said:

Obviously they’re on a great run but those numbers are beyond impressive when you consider how far they have travelled (most from London of course ) we don’t always get them numbers (when available) for London fixtures !

Living in Cornwall, I've got plenty of Argyle mates - some who came up specially for the game yesterday.

The Green Army always have a sizeable away following, often putting ours to shame.

But there's been a hell of a buzz in the local press about this game - and most of their fans have travelled up from in and around Plymouth.

Why is that Oggy?
    Plymouth/Cornwall have high unemployment, the wages are low and day out in London don't come cheap.
    A couple i know from Bradford earn about 45000 between them and got a large 3 bed in cleackheaton for £100000

I've got family in Kent - house prices and rents there are not much different to down here.
    Wages are amongst the lowest in the country. Many couples can only dream of earning £45,000 between them.

I've just gone on Rightmove searching for 3 bedrooms or more, not retirement, not shared ownership and parking in Devon as a whole.

There are park homes and the odd maisonette or flat around £100K but you are looking at £150K plus for any form of 3 bed house.
    Sorry Len was using it as an example i see there are 1 bed flats for £60000 so if you have a young couple working at Wetherspoons on £15000 each and the mortgage is £300 youd have quite a bit of spare cash a month.
    So I had a look on the net and found advertised (situated in student land in Plymouth) a 1 bed flat in an old house conversion, "For sale by Modern Method of Auction: Starting Bid Price £60,000.00 plus Reservation Fee" ..... is this the one you saw?

Typically auction houses put an unrealistically low 'guide price', purely to attract a high level of interest.

But it's unlikely to be bought by your "young couple working at Weatherspoons on £15,000 each".
    Assuming they've saved and scrimped to get their 25% deposit together, legal fees, etc, they'll be outbid.

More likely it will be snapped up by an investor - and rented back to the "young couple" at £500k plus per month.
    And they still won't be able to afford to save for a bigger deposit for a 1-bed flat at market prices.

They'll all be awful though, at the moment I think about 180k is the bottom price for something decent. And then the area is not great.

• Options
    Now searching tavistock and liskeard as i assume not every Plymouth supporter lives in plymouth
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Now searching tavistock and liskeard as i assume not every Plymouth supporter lives in plymouth

They all live in Manchester
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Oggy Red said:

clb74 said:

LenGlover said:

clb74 said:

Oggy Red said:

clb74 said:

Oggy Red said:

Why is that Oggy?

Even so, at that price you'd be lucky to find one that wasn't a wreck or in rundown areas, or perhaps ex-council/navy estate houses that have been bought privately by tenants.

Check out Red Mist's post for typical semi or 'better quality' old terrace house prices.
    Cheaper than Bromley, I'll grant you.

Bromley though commands high, Greater London type prices.
    Move out into North Kent, Medway or beyond and you'll pay less.

I guess my point is, with the relatively low wages generally paid in the Plymouth area, house prices are not as affordable as you think they are.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

clb74 said:

LenGlover said:

clb74 said:

Oggy Red said:

clb74 said:

Oggy Red said:

Why is that Oggy?

£95k

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72203390.html

Loads for sale between £100k and £150k

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Addickted said:

Oggy Red said:

clb74 said:

LenGlover said:

clb74 said:

Oggy Red said:

clb74 said:

Oggy Red said:

Why is that Oggy?

£95k

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72203390.html

Loads for sale between £100k and £150k

"ATTENTION INVESTORS!!! This property is in NEED OF RENOVATION with HUGE POTENTIAL".

You really wouldn't want to live in St Budeaux.

:smile:
  • Options
    If wages are so cheap in Plymouth,why have I just driven 312 miles from Lincolnshire to start decorating a nursing home in roborough 3 miles north of Plymouth. I'm going to be up and down for the next few months, travel and other expenses. I'm not complaining but find it strange.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Even though I live in Cornwall, jobs are not plentiful.
    Over the years I've travelled to work in various parts of Plymouth so got to know many areas.

A couple of pertinent points lifted from a random Google search:
    http://worldpopulationreview.com/world-cities/plymouth-population/

Remember, Plymouth is a decent sized city, with an estimated population of over 264,000.
    The population (under the initiative) is expected to rise to 300,000 by the year 2020.

Plymouth has higher levels of deprivation and poverty than the national average.

BTW Is there anything on telly tonight?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You're discovering there's a lot of areas in Plymouth you don't want to live in, in fact there's probably more than you would!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    clb74 said:

Tavistock and Liskeard are decent small market towns, popular with commuters - but still retaining their town centre and community.

Tavistock about 12 miles north of Plymouth is decent but pricey.
    And quite well looked after, nice countryside, Dartmoor on the doorstep, etc. Prices reflect this.
    No railway station, you'd have to drive the one road to Plymouth or get the bus.

Liskeard is in Cornwall, across the Bridge via Saltash, about 20 miles from Plymouth.
    Bit shabby but better looked after these days than 30 years ago. Generally cheaper than Tavvy.
    Bodmin Moor nearby, Looe 9 miles away, with river, harbour and beaches.

Transport links are amazing for a small rural market town, with a population of just 9,000.
    Dual carriageway A38 direct to Plymouth and the M5/M4. Mainline railway station with direct express trains to Plymouth, London, Bristol, Birmingham, the North and Scotland. You can even take the "Night Riviera" sleeper train service overnight to London.

• Options
    RedMist said:

You're discovering there's a lot of areas in Plymouth you don't want to live in, in fact there's probably more than you would!
    Don't worry about that if elfs f@cks off to Plymouth the house prices down there will plummet.
  • Options
    I love this forum
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Over the years I've travelled to work in various parts of Plymouth so got to know many areas.

Remember, Plymouth is a decent sized city, with an estimated population of over 264,000.
    The population (under the initiative) is expected to rise to 300,000 by the year 2020.

Plymouth has higher levels of deprivation and poverty than the national average.

Sorry oggy just finished watching escape to the chateau
    The thing is we can talk about wages but on the lower end of the scale if I'm working in Wetherspoons the wages wether you work in Bromley or Plymouth are hardly any different.
    Work in somewhere like Sainsbury's £8 hr In Plymouth about £8.70 up Bromley west Wickham way.
    And not everyone in Plymouth can be on low wages.
    3 beds can cost over £200000 so some down there must be on decent wages surely not most properties are being bought by people moving down from London or other places.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

clb74 said:

Tavistock and Liskeard are decent small market towns, popular with commuters - but still retaining their town centre and community.

And quite well looked after, nice countryside, Dartmoor on the doorstep, etc. Prices reflect this.
    No railway station, you'd have to drive the one road to Plymouth or get the bus.

Liskeard is in Cornwall, across the Bridge via Saltash, about 20 miles from Plymouth.
    Bit shabby but better looked after these days than 30 years ago. Generally cheaper than Tavvy.

Transport links are amazing for a small rural market town, with a population of just 9,000.
    Dual carriageway A38 direct to Plymouth and the M5/M4. Mainline railway station with direct express trains to Plymouth, London, Bristol, Birmingham, the North and Scotland. You can even take the "Night Riviera" sleeper train service overnight to London.

And Tavistock or 'Tavvy' has the "Goosie Fayre"
  • Options
    edited March 2018

If wages are so cheap in Plymouth,why have I just driven 312 miles from Lincolnshire to start decorating a nursing home in roborough 3 miles north of Plymouth. I'm going to be up and down for the next few months, travel and other expenses. I'm not complaining but find it strange.

Don't get me started on Lincolnshire
    The wife's got a mate who's got a young family in Grantham 3 bed house and his the only one working as a manager in the equivalent of icelands
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:

Oggy Red said:

Sorry oggy just finished watching escape to the chateau
    The thing is we can talk about wages but on the lower end of the scale if I'm working in Wetherspoons the wages wether you work in Bromley or Plymouth are hardly any different.
    Work in somewhere like Sainsbury's £8 hr In Plymouth about £8.70 up Bromley west Wickham way.
    And not everyone in Plymouth can be on low wages.
    3 beds can cost over £200000 so some down there must be on decent wages surely not most properties are being bought by people moving down from London or other places.
    Local Government grades are the same throughout the Country, so someone living in Kent will be on the same money as the person in Plymouth doing the same job. The only difference being London, where most Boroughs have London Weighting.

The difference in house prices make a significant difference to people's living standards.
  • Options
    Where I am...
    It's very nice
  • Options
    RedMist said:

Where I am...
    It's very nice
    RedMist said:

Where I am...
    It's very nice
    Ffs do yourself a favour,
    If you next a knock on the door tomorrow look out the window if it's a little bloke austin powers lookalike don't open the door it'll be elfs wanting to rent a room for nothing.
  • Options
    I clicked on your link, Elfs .... and saw it advertised at £141,900.

Bargain, right?

But scroll down and you discover it's actually full market price of £215,000, if you're aged under 60.
    Which is more or less what you'd expect to pay in and around Plymouth.

"This property is offered at a reduced price for people aged over 60 through Homewise's Home for Life Plan. Through the Home for Life Plan, anyone aged over sixty can purchase a lifetime lease on this property which discounts the price from its full market value. The size of the discount you are entitled to depends on your age, personal circumstances and property criteria and could be anywhere between 8.5% and 59% from the property’s full market value. The above price is for guidance only. It’s based on our average discount and would be the estimated price payable by a 69-year-old single male. As such, the price you would pay could be higher or lower than this figure.

For more information or a personalised quote, just give us a call. Alternatively, if you are under 60 or would like to purchase this property without a Home for Life Plan at its full market price of £215,000, please contact Bradleys.

Property Description

GUIDE PRICE £215,000 TO £225,000"
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    clb74 said:

RedMist said:

Where I am...
    It's very nice
    RedMist said:

Where I am...
    It's very nice
    Ffs do yourself a favour,
    If you next a knock on the door tomorrow look out the window if it's a little bloke austin powers lookalike don't open the door it'll be elfs wanting to rent a room for nothing.
    Bugger fell right into that one.

Did I say plympton, I meant plymstock
    Anyway our doorbell is broken, has been for about a week- I'm quite enjoying the peace which is why I haven't repaired it yet.
    So I won't know he's there anyway
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Don’t you just hate it when threads stay resolutely on theme :-)
  • Options
    RedMist said:

Oggy Red said:

clb74 said:

And Tavistock or 'Tavvy' has the "Goosie Fayre"
    Not forgetting The Wharf or just up the road, Britain's most unusual boozer The Highwayman Inn.
  • Options
    The wharf seems to just have tribute acts these days
  • Options
    Addickted said:

JamesSeed said:

Don’t you just hate it when threads stay resolutely on theme :-)

I don't know - found it quite useful.

Me and the missus are viewing a 4 bed detached bungalow in Modbury tomorrow, thanks to this thread.
    Yep had a look at modbury nice little 2 bed new build £220000.