Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jake Forster-Caskey (ed. Signs a new contract extension to 2021)

Comments

• Options
    dickplumb said:
    I thought Forster- Caskey was awful as was Williams. Barker looked like a fish out of water. In the first half it looked like Doncaster would score every time they went forward. Gilbey looked like he could do something with better players around him. Washington has scored two goals but this is the worse Charlton squad since Slades.

I believe that's evident to most of us, including Bowyer.

But what's he to do? Half the squad left in the close season including a number of key players, and he's not allowed to replace them.
    The embargo has put paid to that. The EFL has ruled there can be a 23 man squad but that has to include many raw inexperienced kids, who are counted as 1st team squad players because they've played a few minutes in a cup game or last season, during our severe injury crisis, were thrown in hopelessly out of their depth because there was literally nobody else fit enough to play.

Sure, we've signed the experienced Washington and Gilbey - but that's it. It doesn't replace half a squad.
    Bowyer has stated he has 3, 4, 5 ready to sign - but of course they can't yet.

It's not only us supporters pinning our hopes on Sandgaard. Bowyer is too.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    The Thierry Racon comparison is spot on. JFC was the most Karl Robinson-esque signing of the Karl Robinson era. And we weren’t ever going to get promoted with Gobbo running the show.

He spent most of our promotion season injured. I remember the melt down on here when it happened (I thought we were screwed at the time too) but perhaps in hindsight it was a blessing in disguise because we ended up playing Bielik in midfield most of the year.

He’s the best we’ve got for now but I’m not sure I would be trying to get him to sign a new contract past 2021.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    dickplumb said:
    I thought Forster- Caskey was awful as was Williams. Barker looked like a fish out of water. In the first half it looked like Doncaster would score every time they went forward. Gilbey looked like he could do something with better players around him. Washington has scored two goals but this is the worse Charlton squad since Slades.
    Despite what I said above I’d take JFC over Slade’s midfield, before Ulvestad came in he saw no issue with playing Foley, Crofts and Jackson together. Awful.
    Agree that midfield v Swindon was the absolute worst - though in Slade's defence, I don't think he had much choice at the time. That squad was truly desperate.

• Options
    Like Jake. Sound lad.
    But he has a bit to prove.
  • Options
    The Thierry Racon comparison is spot on. JFC was the most Karl Robinson-esque signing of the Karl Robinson era. And we weren’t ever going to get promoted with Gobbo running the show.

He spent most of our promotion season injured. I remember the melt down on here when it happened (I thought we were screwed at the time too) but perhaps in hindsight it was a blessing in disguise because we ended up playing Bielik in midfield most of the year.

He’s the best we’ve got for now but I’m not sure I would be trying to get him to sign a new contract past 2021.
    I wouldn’t call him the best we’ve got. Midfield is where we have numbers and oztumer or the Man U kid should be given game time she’s of him at the moment.
  • Options
    I think a diamond of Pratley, Watson, Gilbey and Williams would be outstanding at this level. Maybe lacks a few goals but has a bit of everything. Levitt, Lapslie, Morgan and JFC give us different options from the bench so it's not an area of massive concern yet. Defence is the obvious one that needs strengthening ASAP. It's actually affecting the midfield too a bit like Man City when they had all their CBs injured. Pratley going to CB was like Fernandinho, he may do ok there but then you are losing a big part of the midfield on top. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    He’s a body, but not really anything more than that - and never really has been.

He can ‘do a job’, but never is a difference maker either defensively or in attack. 

Hes just....there. 
    Against Fulham at the cottage he was fantastic (at LB)
  • Options
    Games seem to pass him by. He is a much better player than he has been showing. 
  • Options
    Looks so off the pace, 17/18 he was steaming in tackles and scoring goals, he looks a shadow of his former self.

Remembering Billy Clarke who I believe had the same or a similar injury?  He never recovered back to the player he was, could this be the case here, really hope not, if somehow we manage to get players in I think he’d benefit from a season loan in league two to build up confidence.
    Scoring goals? How many has he actually scored for us?
  • Options
    Looks so off the pace, 17/18 he was steaming in tackles and scoring goals, he looks a shadow of his former self.

Remembering Billy Clarke who I believe had the same or a similar injury?  He never recovered back to the player he was, could this be the case here, really hope not, if somehow we manage to get players in I think he’d benefit from a season loan in league two to build up confidence.
    Eight goals... His last coming on the 21st November 2017 against Rochdale when he got both in a 2-1 win

Its a shame as remember him scoring in a 4-0 win against Swindon on the last day of the season, made a really late run into the box and reminded me of when Johnnie Jackson used to do it, think he said then that he'd been encouraged to do it more, shame really that he's playing so deep for us at the moment, may well be the issue for him
  • Options

Eight goals... His last coming on the 21st November 2017 against Rochdale when he got both in a 2-1 win

Its a shame as remember him scoring in a 4-0 win against Swindon on the last day of the season, made a really late run into the box and reminded me of when Johnnie Jackson used to do it, think he said then that he'd been encouraged to do it more, shame really that he's playing so deep for us at the moment, may well be the issue for him
    Wiki says 7 in 70 but I’ll bow to your greater knowledge.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Wiki says 7 in 70 but I’ll bow to your greater knowledge.
    I used TransferMarkt... Dont trust Wiki for stats

Although SoccerBase also says seven goals so someone is wrong somewhere
  • Options
    Either way it's 7 (or 8) more than Williams has scored for us

I can see Gilbey getting goals for us this season, but others need to contribute too. Williams definitely needs more end product, he's never going to be prolific, but in the THIRD tier he really ought to be scoring 4 or 5 a season
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I think comparing JFC to Racon pre-ACL is very harsh, JFC 17/18 season one of our best players in a team that finished 6th.  Racon was god damn awful.
    Yes, he was quite decent in 17/18, breaking into the box
    Exactly.

Said the other day that he’s not a ball winning midfielder and not a deep-lying playmaker. He’s far better further up the pitch. He’s not someone who will dictate a game at the base of midfield. JFC is far, far better in the final third and top end of the middle third than he is picking it up from the centre backs.

Until we sign players who can play in that position, he’s the only one in the squad who is going to give that role a go.

I’d always play Williams if possible, but if we were to sign Watson, I’d give a midfield of Forster-Caskey, Watson, and Gilbey a go. It would mean we could see him further up the pitch. His technical quality could pick a pass in a dangerous area, he isn’t going to do that sitting on the halfway line every game.
  • Options

Okay, scoring the odd goal, now I don’t think he has a sniff.  My point being he’s not the same player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The most marmite player in the squad?
  • Options
    The most marmite player in the squad?
    Yes.

He needs a co disenchanted boost and Saturday would have helped and he needs to build momentum. Shame, because I don’t think he can start two games in quick succession and expect him to be on the bench tonigh
  • Options
    JFC can offer alot at this level. Big season for him, if he wants to be recognised as a Championship standard player he needs to perform. 
  • Options
    He's definitely playing his way back into his best form. He's probably never going to be one of the best players in the squad/team but very much someone with a job to do - and that's no criticism. 

If he can add more regular goals to his game so much the better.
  • Options
    Before JFC did his ACL (I think that was what he was out for so long with) he looked like a decent championship player. Kept the game ticking over, good eye for a pass, defensively solid and decent dead ball delivery.

hw hasn’t looked as good since he came back and has struggled to dictate the game abs his dead ball delivery has been awful at least 59% of the time.

Last couple of games he’s been getting back into his groove and has been playing well. Long May that continue. 
  • Options
    Forster... forster caskey. Sung to Paparazzi by lady gaga, I need some help on more lyrics if anyone else wants to chip in lol

• Options
    This is the exact point in his Charlton career where he previously got a nasty injury.

Struggles. Gets minutes. Gets fit. Starts playing well. Crocked.

Really praying it doesn't happen again and he can continue to churn out great performances.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Forster... forster caskey. Sung to Paparazzi by lady gaga, I need some help on more lyrics if anyone else wants to chip in lol

Agreed. You need help 😀
    Its an ear worm, been singing it for weeks when watching us