Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jake Forster-Caskey (ed. Signs a new contract extension to 2021)

Comments

• Hats off to Jake for sticking by the club and showing his appreciation to us fans. Here's hoping he can stay clear of injury and lead us to better things.
  • edited July 2020
    I really rated him before he did his ACL and was out for a year. Never quite seemed the same since he came back but looked decent after the COVID break and I’m personally delighted he’s staying for another season.

I’d have him in the squad in the championship. Total no brained for me in league one.  

Good on him. 

*edit oops unfortunate typo pointed out below
  • That’s a nice surprise 
  • thought bowyer said senior players could not sign because of the embargo 
    I think bowyer got it wrong. I don’t see how legally the efl can stop us offering out of contract players new deals. 
    They can if we go over our current budget
    Not much chance of that with all the loans returning to their clubs, as we'll now be looking as a lower/cheaper calibre of loan. Plus the likes of Taylor, Hemed, Williams, Matthews and Page all going.

Can't imagine Sarr staying either unless it's for less money as he was on a decent wage.
    Have I missed something where it's been said Williams is definitely leaving? I'm not sure he'll get a Championship gig with his injury record and output of 0 goals for an attacking midfielder. Which Championship club is realistically going to go in for Williams?

Is it completely unrealistic for Williams to take up the option of the second year or to receive a new contract? 
    I think bowyer got it wrong. I don’t see how legally the efl can stop us offering out of contract players new deals. 
    Not much chance of that with all the loans returning to their clubs, as we'll now be looking as a lower/cheaper calibre of loan. Plus the likes of Taylor, Hemed, Williams, Matthews and Page all going.

Can't imagine Sarr staying either unless it's for less money as he was on a decent wage.
    Have I missed something where it's been said Williams is definitely leaving? I'm not sure he'll get a Championship gig with his injury record and output of 0 goals for an attacking midfielder. Which Championship club is realistically going to go in for Williams?

Is it completely unrealistic for Williams to take up the option of the second year or to receive a new contract? 
    I imagine the likes of Williams (or rather their agents) will be frantically phoning around to see who else might be interested

After all Williams originally left us after the playoff final, then only came back later in the summer to train with us and eventually signed again, so presumably he had been hoping for better offers which didn't materialise, or he got ones which didn't suit him on a personal level
  • Williams should count himself very lucky if he can get a championship move, would be a huge gamble for any club to take him on with his injury record this season alone. If he can stomach league one football, he'd do worse than stay here for a year and prove he can stay fit, because we are gkingto be desperate for players come the 12th September.

I imagine the likes of Williams (or rather their agents) will be frantically phoning around to see who else might be interested

After all Williams originally left us after the playoff final, then only came back later in the summer to train with us and eventually signed again, so presumably he had been hoping for better offers which didn't materialise, or he got ones which didn't suit him on a personal level
    Not quite the case, he left as he was told they couldn't afford him but money was never discussed. He never wanted to leave. This time round I think he might however, as I've heard he had the feeling bowyer wasn't impressed with him post lockdown but he felt he was in good condition. I hope he stays personally
  • edited July 2020
    His technique puts him a step above most players in League One, which is exactly where we’ll be next year so it’s a good piece of news.

Pratley, Forster-Caskey and Oztumer is a solid central three in the third division.
  • Sponsored links:

• What's the chances he's agreed because Bowyer has told him he's staying too? Or clutching staws
  • What's the chances he's agreed because Bowyer has told him he's staying too? Or clutching staws
    Doubtful. He’s agreed because he’s been automatically given an extra year. 
    A no brainier post-Covid for a player who recently came back from a serious knee Injury. 
  • shine166 said:
    I wonder if new contracts now factor in covid breaks ? 
    That would be simply too much common sense for any of our multiple unknown mystery owners.
  • Oggy Red said:
    JFC last year signed a contract with 1-year option.

He's simply taken up that option, no doubt on the same salary.

Sounds common sense on his part to me. Especially after his serious injury and the uncertainty with Covid - with clubs likely to have smaller budgets, perhaps reducing squad numbers and offering lower salaries, he didn't fancy the risk of being a free agent?

I imagine that salary was low for the Championship and decent for L1...
  • Irrelevant as we won't be football playing next season, but I'd have let him go.
    Not interested in players such as Forster-Caskey and Page who are permanently injured.
    Indeed. I reckon he triggered the clause, not the club.
  • Excellent news.

Forster-Caskey’s injury was a huge blow for us at the start of the promotion season last year, well 2 years ago now. He was big in Bowyer’s plans but actually forced us to go and get Cullen and Bielik.

He will score goals from midfield in League One. Very good player for that level and one who if Bowyer somehow does stay, will continue to improve.
  • Looks so off the pace, 17/18 he was steaming in tackles and scoring goals, he looks a shadow of his former self.

Remembering Billy Clarke who I believe had the same or a similar injury?  He never recovered back to the player he was, could this be the case here, really hope not, if somehow we manage to get players in I think he’d benefit from a season loan in league two to build up confidence.
  • Looks so off the pace, 17/18 he was steaming in tackles and scoring goals, he looks a shadow of his former self.

Remembering Billy Clarke who I believe had the same or a similar injury?  He never recovered back to the player he was, could this be the case here, really hope not, if somehow we manage to get players in I think he’d benefit from a season loan in league two to build up confidence.
    He is definitely lost as a centre midfielder. His best game since the injury was as a wing back. Our next cup game in that pathetic u-23 competition, I would play him at left back. 
  • Said it before but a waste of a space. We cannot afford injury prone players. Williams is another.  We never learn. Plus he is not very good either. 
  • Sponsored links:

He is definitely lost as a centre midfielder. His best game since the injury was as a wing back. Our next cup game in that pathetic u-23 competition, I would play him at left back. 
    Only time he's impressed me like you was playing as a wing back.
  • I'm still hopeful that with a run of games he can get back to his previous level. He missed pre season last year and missed the whole previous season. If he gets back to previous levels he will be a force in league 1.
  • Nowhere near the player he was before the injury, but doesn't help playing in an inexperienced midfield. A ball winning midfielder like Ben Watson , if he does sign ,might help .
  • Perhaps just 3 in midfield doesn't help JFC's game, when outnumbered in midfield by the opponent?
    Especially without attacking fullbacks overlapping.

It was fine when we were carrying the game to Doncaster early on and causing them problems - but when they hit us on the break they cut through our midfield at will, too many gaps to plug.

Credit to JFC for the assist for our goal yesterday - he did well to get to the byeline and clip back an inviting ball that Washington couldn't miss.

• Oggy Red said:
    Perhaps just 3 in midfield doesn't help JFC's game, when outnumbered in midfield by the opponent?
    Especially without attacking fullbacks overlapping.

It was fine when we were carrying the game to Doncaster early on and causing them problems - but when they hit us on the break they cut through our midfield at will, too many gaps to plug.

Credit to JFC for the assist for our goal yesterday - he did well to get to the byeline and clip back an inviting ball that Washington couldn't miss.

Think the assist was Doughty. 

The only decent game he's had was at wing back v Fulham.
    He's just invisible.
    I noticed him for the first time yesterday, when he chested that ball back to the keeper (too heavily) and nearly scored an OG.
    I was like jeez, who the hell did that & had to look up his number to realise it was him. 
  • I thought Forster- Caskey was awful as was Williams. Barker looked like a fish out of water. In the first half it looked like Doncaster would score every time they went forward. Gilbey looked like he could do something with better players around him. Washington has scored two goals but this is the worse Charlton squad since Slades.
  • dickplumb said:
    I thought Forster- Caskey was awful as was Williams. Barker looked like a fish out of water. In the first half it looked like Doncaster would score every time they went forward. Gilbey looked like he could do something with better players around him. Washington has scored two goals but this is the worse Charlton squad since Slades.
    Despite what I said above I’d take JFC over Slade’s midfield, before Ulvestad came in he saw no issue with playing Foley, Crofts and Jackson together. Awful.