Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Options
    It is a really tough, but fantastic, conundrum.

I like the Roy/Bairstow/Hales as the top three because it gives you two bites of the cherry at attacking openers for the powerplay should one of them fail. Root has to stay in the side incase you lose two quick ones and need to consolidate.

Not sure you can drop Hales, yet the bowling looks a tad weak if you drop Wood for Stokes. Not sure what the answer is if I'm honest.

I'd probably play the below side, which is probably the best batting side ever seen in One Day cricket, but I'm not blind to the glaring weaknesses.

Roy
    Bairstow
    Hales
    Root
    Morgan
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Ali
    Woakes
    Rashid
    Plunkett
  • Options
    England win by 242 runs - Englands biggest win margin and OZ biggelst losing margin.

Sport in Oz not going too well at the moment, is it !
  • Options

I like the Roy/Bairstow/Hales as the top three because it gives you two bites of the cherry at attacking openers for the powerplay should one of them fail. Root has to stay in the side incase you lose two quick ones and need to consolidate.

Not sure you can drop Hales, yet the bowling looks a tad weak if you drop Wood for Stokes. Not sure what the answer is if I'm honest.

I'd probably play the below side, which is probably the best batting side ever seen in One Day cricket, but I'm not blind to the glaring weaknesses.

Roy
    Bairstow
    Hales
    Root
    Morgan
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Ali
    Woakes
    Rashid
    Plunkett

But if we do lose 2 quick wickets this team does not consolidate!
  • Options
    Days like today make me even more wound up about the ECB's hundred ball scenario.

Our white ball set-up doesn't need fixing - our red ball one does.
  • Options
    Indeed the only point of this series now is to get Stoinis used to English conditions before he plays for Kent in the T20 Blast :smile:
  • Options
    All these 6s are so upsetting I will refuse any World Cup tickets I get for next year.
  • Options
    I think the management deserve a bit more time :smile:
  • Options

Roy
    Bairstow
    Hales
    Root
    Morgan
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Ali
    Woakes
    Rashid
    Plunkett

If a batsman has to go it should be Morgan in my opinion, based purely on batting, but as the skipper of a winning team it aint going to happen and at this stage probably rightly.
  • Options
    The Morgan that became England's all time ODI top scorer yesterday, and hit the fastest England ODI 50 as well? Even if he wasn't captain there's no way they'd be dropping him.
  • Options

The Morgan that became England's all time ODI top scorer yesterday, and hit the fastest England ODI 50 as well? Even if he wasn't captain there's no way they'd be dropping him.

He's probably still behind Root, Hales, Bairstow, Roy and Buttler though in terms of current merit.

Although I 100% agree he should not be dropped. Before this series would have said Roy should miss out, now I just don't know. I was tempted to say Moeen with Root as second spinner, but think he deserves his place.

Root is the least destructive, shown by him dropping to 7 yesterday, but he will be important when Hales and Roy can't smash the ball out of the ground for 10 overs.

Bairstow
    Hales
    Root
    Morgan
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Ali
    Woakes
    Plunkett
    Rashid
    Wood

Still think that is our best side, with Roy and Willey missing out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting that the white ball batting coach is Graham Thorpe, whereas the Test batting coach is Mark Ramprakash.

While you can't pin it all on the coaches, Thorpe was a lot more successful at international level than Ramps
  • Options
    edited June 2018
  • Options
    Thorpe is a legend
  • Options

Interesting that the white ball batting coach is Graham Thorpe, whereas the Test batting coach is Mark Ramprakash.

While you can't pin it all on the coaches, Thorpe was a lot more successful at international level than Ramps

Just a complete joke that Ramprakash is involved in our Test coaching team, sums it up.
  • Options
    Australia plodding along at a rather sedate rate
  • Options
    Australia need to just play safe and make sure they get to 270.
  • Options

I think they need to do the complete opposite? 270 is not anywhere enough (on paper) against this England batting line up
  • Options
    Take away Starc, Hazlewood and Cummins and Australia are a good county side
  • Options
    I mean, Warner and Smith too, tbf ;)
  • Options

I think they need to do the complete opposite? 270 is not anywhere enough (on paper) against this England batting line up
    Haha sorry if it wasn't clear. It was a joke at the expense of people saying England batting too aggressively.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone who considers dropping Roy Bairstow and Hales are deluded.
    These are the best top three in international cricket.
  • Options

He's probably still behind Root, Hales, Bairstow, Roy and Buttler though in terms of current merit.

Although I 100% agree he should not be dropped. Before this series would have said Roy should miss out, now I just don't know. I was tempted to say Moeen with Root as second spinner, but think he deserves his place.

Root is the least destructive, shown by him dropping to 7 yesterday, but he will be important when Hales and Roy can't smash the ball out of the ground for 10 overs.

Bairstow
    Hales
    Root
    Morgan
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Ali
    Woakes
    Plunkett
    Rashid
    Wood

Dropping Jason Roy, eh
  • Options
    Roy is fading ....

Only Just over a run a ball for his 92 no at present

Rubbish ;-)
  • Options
    Told yer

Gets his Ton with a six!
  • Options
    Roy out
  • Options

Roy out

It wasn't that bad a shot.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Bairstow
    Hales
    Root
    Morgan
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Ali
    Woakes
    Plunkett
    Rashid
    Wood

Dropping Jason Roy, eh
    Exactly! What a wonderful problem to have. Would almost be a good thing if Morgan retired so that the top 5 picks itself!

Still a fan of having 6 bowlers personally, especially seeing as Stokes, Ali and Woakes are all decent batsman. Not sure Stokes is a 3rd choice seamer so wouldn't want to go without Wood although having Woakes at 9 and Rashid at 11 would be some batting line up!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Just a complete joke that Ramprakash is involved in our Test coaching team, sums it up.
    Why? Struggled at test level yes but there were a hell of a lot of issues going on behind the scenes then. But over a 20 year period he was without a doubt the greatest batsman in the county game both technically and in terms of runs scored. The man is a legend.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Why? Struggled at test level yes but there were a hell of a lot of issues going on behind the scenes then. But over a 20 year period he was without a doubt the greatest batsman in the county game both technically and in terms of runs scored. The man is a legend.
    Why???? It's bloody obvious! He couldn't hack it at Test level so how on earth can he bring anything to the Test squad? Yes of course he was an exceptional batsman, the last player ever to score one hundred 100's (and always will be). England's Test batsmen don't need batting coaching they need mental coaching by someone who could do it in test cricket. He was of course one of only two English qualified batsmen in the 90's/2000's to average over 50.00 in 1st Class cricket. Who was the other? Graham Hick! I rest my case.
  • Options
    Graham Hick has been reincarnated as Gary Balance.

Anyway, another thumping win for England. Great stuff!