Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League 1 scores

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Jints said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/plymouth-argyle-qa-live-ryan-5288750

Not sure this is the right thread but league 1 transfers are going to be very busy this summer!! 
    I’ve never thought of Plymouth as a sleeping giant type of club. 
    I know some posters on here think of Plymouth as a rural town of carrot crunchers ...... but that's not the reality.

Plymouth is an industrial city of more than 250,000, with a catchment area of a million people.

Argyle has spent much of it's history yo-yoing between Tier 3 and Tier 2 ....... but then so did Coventry, Norwich and Southampton when I was young, who've all been Prem/Tier 1 clubs in recent years.

Argyle have often had good crowds for their level, and the ground sold out on FA Cup runs.
    There's the Green Army! ...... good numbers of passionate fans, travelling all over the country.

Sleeping giant? Depends what you mean by giant, of course.
    They are the biggest club by far west of Bristol ...... and with the right financial backing, could easily be as successful as say, Bristol City, Reading, Bournemouth, etc 

Or even Charlton Athletic.

I agree with you that Plymouth is a decent sized city but it's a traditionally much smaller club than Coventry, Noriwch or Southampton or us. Never been in the top division, never got to a cup final. Southampton have been in the top flight for most of the last 50 years and have had several brief forays into Europe. Coventry spent all of the 1970s, 80s and 90s in the firs division/PL. Norwich have also had a lot of seasons in the top division since the 60s.
    I was just pointing out than when I was young Coventry, Norwich and Southampton were not bigger clubs than Plymouth Argyle.
    Yet, those clubs eventually managed to establish themselves at higher levels.

It's like Bristol City. They are now the biggest club never to have been promoted to the Premier League.
    No reason why it won't happen for them one day.

Plymouth Argyle, by size of city, club and support, should be a regular Championship club, like Bristol City ...... and have always been traditionally seen as a pretty big fish in the Third Division.

Yet overall, they've underachieved. 
    But the potential is there, all right.

Bradford are even more underachievers, as a much bigger City, One small spell in the PL, but a long time spent in the lower divisions.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Jints said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/plymouth-argyle-qa-live-ryan-5288750

Not sure this is the right thread but league 1 transfers are going to be very busy this summer!! 
    I know some posters on here think of Plymouth as a rural town of carrot crunchers ...... but that's not the reality.

Plymouth is an industrial city of more than 250,000, with a catchment area of a million people.

Argyle has spent much of it's history yo-yoing between Tier 3 and Tier 2 ....... but then so did Coventry, Norwich and Southampton when I was young, who've all been Prem/Tier 1 clubs in recent years.

Argyle have often had good crowds for their level, and the ground sold out on FA Cup runs.
    There's the Green Army! ...... good numbers of passionate fans, travelling all over the country.

They are the biggest club by far west of Bristol ...... and with the right financial backing, could easily be as successful as say, Bristol City, Reading, Bournemouth, etc 

I agree with you that Plymouth is a decent sized city but it's a traditionally much smaller club than Coventry, Noriwch or Southampton or us. Never been in the top division, never got to a cup final. Southampton have been in the top flight for most of the last 50 years and have had several brief forays into Europe. Coventry spent all of the 1970s, 80s and 90s in the firs division/PL. Norwich have also had a lot of seasons in the top division since the 60s.
    I was just pointing out than when I was young Coventry, Norwich and Southampton were not bigger clubs than Plymouth Argyle.

It's like Bristol City. They are now the biggest club never to have been promoted to the Premier League.

Plymouth Argyle, by size of city, club and support, should be a regular Championship club, like Bristol City ...... and have always been traditionally seen as a pretty big fish in the Third Division.

Can’t attract the players this far down, Bristol is generally seen as the deep south, then you point out Plymouth is another 2 hours further on and it’s a bridge too far(scuse the Cornish pun @Oggy Red).
    Its generally the same reason touring bands stop at Bristol.
  • Options
    We are going into another game without our highest goal scoring forwards. It really limits our variety, so we need to just focus on points and being solid.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I remember playing them in the Championship at the Valley in a midweek home game, and they'd had a good start to the season. They almost sold out the away end which was a very impressive effort considering the distance and it being midweek.
    Was that the game where Todorov got injured and finished his career? Think both sides had about 8 booked but the tackle on Todorov went unpunished.

Holloway was in charge of them in that match.
    Yeah that's right, he resigned shortly after though and went to Leicester.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    mendonca said:
    All this board wanted for Xmas was Paul Cook. 
    Not true.  Some of us simply wanted Bowyer out.

And if we'd done that ... well, you can speculate.
    How true.
    If only Bowyer had departed a month earlier. We could now have been sitting in 2nd or 3rd place.

Funny how people re-write history, not true at all.

Your telling me that our defence that couldn't stop leaking goals and making individual mistakes would have become Champions overnight if Paul Cook had shown up.  Don't think so.

Missed the point. I think the suggestion is if Bowyer had gone sooner for whoever we could have been doing better.

Of course as shown by Ipswich, things could have gotten worse too.
    No I didn't miss the point but,  I take your point I should have been more definitive in mine to start with to explain my view.  

I get it that some think if Bowyer had gone earlier it would have helped us, which I think is total wishful thinking by those who just had it in for Bowyer.

I stayed on the point raised about Paul Cook because there were a number of people stating he was the bloke for our job, maybe, maybe not but he has realised at Ipswich he can't make a difference with the players he has inherited and I am not surprised.  additionally he would have found the same thing at Charlton.

We went on a run when Innis & the Norwich lad were playing under Bowyer, since they have been back in the reckoning our results have improved, regardless of manager.  Our performances have been patchy but the difference in results has coincided with those 2 center backs being available.   

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Plymouth will never be a big team, when their main rivals are Exeter City 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I remember playing them in the Championship at the Valley in a midweek home game, and they'd had a good start to the season. They almost sold out the away end which was a very impressive effort considering the distance and it being midweek.
    They all have jobs in London and live here...in fact, reminds me that when we played them at Upton Park once, my Dad and I were driving from Blackheath to the ground and I spotted two guys with green scarfs near the antigallican. We stopped to check they were going to the game and gave them the ‘news’ that Charlton no longer played at the Valley. We gave them a lift to Upton Park, they would have probably missed the kick off otherwise. Turns out they were both working and living in London.
    Argyle do have a thriving Supporters Club, London branch.
    And there's plenty of Plymothian ex-pats living in London. So yeah, always a good turnout for London games.

But you're being completely dismissive of the Green Army that travel up from Plymouth and surrounding areas.
    Several of my mates, Pre-Covid, rarely missed an away game ...... typical of several hundreds or even a thousand that travel from Devon & Cornwall to every away game.
    And if it's a big game, they'll take even more and completely sell out the away end.

You may not be aware of it ..... it's brilliant support and more than several Championship clubs can muster.
    @oohaahmortimer knows what I mean. 

I remember a good few years ago we were driving westwards down the M4 to stay with the in-laws for the weekend.

Plymouth were playing at Wembley that day - a Playoff final or Nicky Mouse final I can't remember - and I just remember endless coaches with green and white scarves hanging up going the other way. The number of coaches was unbelievable - Lord only know where they had hired them all from! 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    mendonca said:

How true.
    If only Bowyer had departed a month earlier. We could now have been sitting in 2nd or 3rd place.

Your telling me that our defence that couldn't stop leaking goals and making individual mistakes would have become Champions overnight if Paul Cook had shown up.  Don't think so.

Missed the point. I think the suggestion is if Bowyer had gone sooner for whoever we could have been doing better.

No I didn't miss the point but,  I take your point I should have been more definitive in mine to start with to explain my view.  

I get it that some think if Bowyer had gone earlier it would have helped us, which I think is total wishful thinking by those who just had it in for Bowyer.

I stayed on the point raised about Paul Cook because there were a number of people stating he was the bloke for our job, maybe, maybe not but he has realised at Ipswich he can't make a difference with the players he has inherited and I am not surprised.  additionally he would have found the same thing at Charlton.

We went on a run when Innis & the Norwich lad were playing under Bowyer, since they have been back in the reckoning our results have improved, regardless of manager.  Our performances have been patchy but the difference in results has coincided with those 2 center backs being available.   

I have to disagree with your point here mate. I was one of the ones that wanted LB to do well here but nobody can deny he made some mental choices and decisions  the last couple of months he was here. To me it seemed he had literally lost the plot and I'm pretty sure if he had gone earlier we would be chasing the playoffs now but the automatic spots. For whatever reason the players just were not playing for him that I believe is beyond doubt
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:
    We are where we are now and looking better for it.

I don’t think anyone can claim to be right whether Bowyer should have gone earlier... there’s too many factors.

as someone who wanted him to stay I can’t say how things would have gone.

The same goes for people who wanted him gone.

the point made above was simply many calling for Bowyers head and wanting Paul cook as a replacement... who now sounds like bowyer. 

Those people I can quiet happily say... were wrong.
    But you can't by your own logic.

No one knows what would have happened if Bowyer had stayed.

No one knows what would have happened if be had gone earlier.  No one knows if Paul Cook would have worked here or not.

I can quiet happily say that.

He has been at Ipswich, what a month?  If people were questioning our manager after that long I would well imagine you would be one of the first defending them (and I would agree with you). 

A lot of people would have included Adkins on the "boring and uninspiring list" that they used to poo poo Cook, the Cowleys and others. 
    No no, you wanted Cook. You said he would be better. You made the statement. Cook would have inherited our squad with all its blemishes too. 

We needed to get rid of Boywer and bring in Cook.

I can admit I was wrong about bowyer staying (I had to the moment he decided to leave us!)

If yu make bold claims don’t just go hiding 

No no, I actually wanted the Cowleys but never mind.  I made that statement. 

Cook was a name I would have been happy with but I never said "we need to get rid of Bowyer and bring Cook in".    I also said that Bowyer should get until at least the Wimbledon game, but don't let facts get in the way, you never do. 

If you think I am hiding you not looking very hard are you. 

I meant ‘you’ as in ‘the group who wanted bowyer out’ I wrongly assumed you personally didn’t call for Cook as his replacement.

A lot of people wanted him out for so many different reasons, some fair, some nonsensical.

I’m just a bit bored of the zero accountability on here, so easy to be a pessimist and find faults  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AndyG said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    mendonca said:

How true.

I have to disagree with your point here mate. I was one of the ones that wanted LB to do well here but nobody can deny he made some mental choices and decisions  the last couple of months he was here. To me it seemed he had literally lost the plot and I'm pretty sure if he had gone earlier we would be chasing the playoffs now but the automatic spots. For whatever reason the players just were not playing for him that I believe is beyond doubt

We will have to agree to disagree.      
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Funnily enough, they've often been in different divisions and don't play each other that often.

The distance by road from Home Park to St James Park, Exeter is around 50 miles, quite a distance for a local Derby game - a bit like Charlton having Brighton as their nearest League club.

Despite massive house building in the past 20 years, Exeter is barely half the size of Plymouth.
    And St James Park can only hold 8,500.

Even though the capacity of Home Park is now reduced to 18,600, Argyle's record crowd was 43,596.
    Plymouth Argyle have always been a much bigger club than Exeter City ..... a bit like comparing today, Charlton and Gillingham.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Jints said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Bradford are even more underachievers, as a much bigger City, One small spell in the PL, but a long time spent in the lower divisions.
    That's a very good point about Bradford City, Killer.    @killerandflash

Decent size ground too, with a capacity of 25,000 +
    City with a population of more than half a million. 

The potential is enormous. They should never be in the Fourth Division.

• Options
    Why did Plymouth rebuild that stand which looked perfectly fine?
  • Options
    Why did Plymouth rebuild that stand which looked perfectly fine?
    The one that's just been re-developed? 

That stand was first built around 1936, replacing an earlier smaller wooden structure ..... before being bombed during the war and almost totally rebuilt in the late 1940's.
    By the 21st  century though it was pretty knackered, showing it's age and needing major repair and refurbishment.

It was deemed cheaper to pull it down and build afresh.
    That was originally scheduled for around 10 years ago and the rest of the ground had already been rebuilt.

Soon after though, Argyle hit an ownership crisis, financial brinkmanship and nearly went out of business.
    Sound familiar? Even more so when you consider our old chum Chris Farnell was involved.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Jints said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I’ve recently been on an old computer game kick and dug out my fondly remembered FIFA 2000. Was very surprised to see Bradford City in the Prem.

I overwrote them to make room for the mighty addicks (we were in division 1 that season so had to edit all the players into the game - luckily there are only 4 faces to choose from and something like 9 stats so it didn’t take long!)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Jints said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Everything about Bradford screams championship potential.  When they had that cup run the whole city was buzzing.

If someone got it right, on the pitch they would be an absolute hero, as Parkinson is.   Its really weird how many people have tried and failed, and lost a lot of money, to get it right. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Funnily enough, they've often been in different divisions and don't play each other that often.

The distance by road from Home Park to St James Park, Exeter is around 50 miles, quite a distance for a local Derby game - a bit like Charlton having Brighton as their nearest League club.

Despite massive house building in the past 20 years, Exeter is barely half the size of Plymouth.
    And St James Park can only hold 8,500.

Even though the capacity of Home Park is now reduced to 18,600, Argyle's record crowd was 43,596.
    Plymouth Argyle have always been a much bigger club than Exeter City ..... a bit like comparing today, Charlton and Gillingham.

There's another club local to us that have a derby game with Brighton.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Was that the game where Todorov got injured and finished his career? Think both sides had about 8 booked but the tackle on Todorov went unpunished.

Holloway was in charge of them in that match.
    Yes. I blamed the ref for the injury as he was allowing them to push the boundary and had he clamped down earlier  doubt the foul would have been made.  
    Was trying to remember who the ref was, knew it was some idiot, here's the report on the game, Rob Styles was the ref.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2007/oct/24/match.charltonathletic
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    As a Plymouth player you'll have to put up with an awful lot of long journeys to go to away games!
    My "Green Army!" mates tell me almost everywhere is a long journey to away games.
    And plenty of fans never miss a match, home or away.

They tell me about the times they've had to do Carlisle away on a Tuesday night. And what heartless bastard at the EFL has done that out of spite, (because he must be an Exeter fan).
    It's a long old drive back through the night when they've lost.

Local rivals are Exeter City, of course  - and they hate each other venomously!
    Remember, Plymouth Argyle are the most southerly League club in the UK ...... and they take great pleasure in singing to Exeter fans, "You Dirty Northern Bastards!" :smile:

Even leaving out the likes of Carlisle or Sunderland, away trips in this division to the likes of Hull, Ipswich or Lincoln will be daunting!
    Too right! 

Now you know what it's like for me coming up from Cornwall to go to Charlton away games. haha

It's an early start and a long old day to even get to The Valley and back home again after.
    And it's not only me, there's other Addicks that come up from further down Cornwall.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    esseffect said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:

I don’t think anyone can claim to be right whether Bowyer should have gone earlier... there’s too many factors.

the point made above was simply many calling for Bowyers head and wanting Paul cook as a replacement... who now sounds like bowyer. 

No one knows what would have happened if be had gone earlier.  No one knows if Paul Cook would have worked here or not.

He has been at Ipswich, what a month?  If people were questioning our manager after that long I would well imagine you would be one of the first defending them (and I would agree with you). 

A lot of people would have included Adkins on the "boring and uninspiring list" that they used to poo poo Cook, the Cowleys and others. 
    No no, you wanted Cook. You said he would be better. You made the statement. Cook would have inherited our squad with all its blemishes too. 

I can admit I was wrong about bowyer staying (I had to the moment he decided to leave us!)

Cook was a name I would have been happy with but I never said "we need to get rid of Bowyer and bring Cook in".    I also said that Bowyer should get until at least the Wimbledon game, but don't let facts get in the way, you never do. 

I meant ‘you’ as in ‘the group who wanted bowyer out’ I wrongly assumed you personally didn’t call for Cook as his replacement.

A lot of people wanted him out for so many different reasons, some fair, some nonsensical.

I’m just a bit bored of the zero accountability on here, so easy to be a pessimist and find faults  
    I wasn't calling for Cook, but I wanted Bowyer out to give us a chance to push for the play offs. The fact that Cook has stumbled a bit at Ipswich is irrelevant. It doesn't mean he would have stumbled here. My view has always been that we have a very strong League One squad and I am being proven right.

I would have been happy for JJ to have the job until the end of the season, just to change the background music but I am more than happy with Nigel. I am puzzled by your post as I would think that those calling for a change are being shown to be right, but hey ho. 
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:

I wasn't calling for Cook, but I wanted Bowyer out to give us a chance to push for the play offs. The fact that Cook has stumbled a bit at Ipswich is irrelevant. It doesn't mean he would have stumbled here. My view has always been that we have a very strong League One squad and I am being proven right.

I would have been happy for JJ to have the job until the end of the season, just to change the background music but I am more than happy with Nigel. I am puzzled by your post as I would think that those calling for a change are being shown to be right, but hey ho. 
    We need to put an end to all the past jibes about who wanted who to manage the club. I personally made a statement earlier on in the discussion that unfortunately due to the way things were going the last few months with LB and his attitude anyone could do a better job than he was at that time, I still stand by that statement now for whatever reason he had completely lost his way and tbh it was sad to watch. I reached the stage where I turned off the coverage when he appeared for his post match interviews. I'm very happy we now have positive Nig in control but one thing that cannot be denied is that we now have a real chance of going up this year and I dont think we would be in that situation if Lee was still here. The move was best for him and us imo. I wish him all the best but it is was it is
  • Options
    Peterboro 1-1 Northampton HT
  • Options
    Currently Peterborough 1-1 Northampton

Be great if Northampton can win, gives Sunderland more reason to beat Blackpool tomorrow
  • Options
    Peterborough now 2-1 up
  • Options
    I can imagine Szmodics is a nightmare to play against. Doesnt stop moving.
  • Options
    Come on you Cobblers !!
  • Options
    14 league goals so far. Very impressive for a midfielder. 
  • Options
    A nightmare to spell also!

Effectively he was Maddison's replacement, as he came in last January, initially on loan