Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League 1 scores

Comments

• Options
    https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/plymouth-argyle-qa-live-ryan-5288750

Not sure this is the right thread but league 1 transfers are going to be very busy this summer!! 
  • Options
    last nights results (13/4) were pretty much in our favour .. Donny and Ipswich probably gone .. Pompey, Blackpool and Sunderland slipping up .. Lincoln have made a recovery in the last two games .. Hull and Posh still look strong .. it's all there for us to grab and hold on to
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/plymouth-argyle-qa-live-ryan-5288750

Not sure this is the right thread but league 1 transfers are going to be very busy this summer!! 
    I’ve never thought of Plymouth as a sleeping giant type of club. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    mendonca said:
    All this board wanted for Xmas was Paul Cook. 
    Not true.  Some of us simply wanted Bowyer out.

And if we'd done that ... well, you can speculate.
    How true.
    If only Bowyer had departed a month earlier. We could now have been sitting in 2nd or 3rd place.

Funny how people re-write history, not true at all.

Your telling me that our defence that couldn't stop leaking goals and making individual mistakes would have become Champions overnight if Paul Cook had shown up.  Don't think so.

Adkins has been available all season, maybe we'd have brought him in a month earlier if Bowyer had departed in February?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I know some posters on here think of Plymouth as a rural town of carrot crunchers ...... but that's not the reality.

Plymouth is an industrial city of more than 250,000, with a catchment area of a million people.

Argyle has spent much of it's history yo-yoing between Tier 3 and Tier 2 ....... but then so did Coventry, Norwich and Southampton when I was young, who've all been Prem/Tier 1 clubs in recent years.

Argyle have often had good crowds for their level, and the ground sold out on FA Cup runs.
    There's the Green Army! ...... good numbers of passionate fans, travelling all over the country.

Sleeping giant? Depends what you mean by giant, of course.
    They are the biggest club by far west of Bristol ...... and with the right financial backing, could easily be as successful as say, Bristol City, Reading, Bournemouth, etc 

Or even Charlton Athletic.

• Options
    We are where we are now and looking better for it.

I don’t think anyone can claim to be right whether Bowyer should have gone earlier... there’s too many factors.

as someone who wanted him to stay I can’t say how things would have gone.

The same goes for people who wanted him gone.

the point made above was simply many calling for Bowyers head and wanting Paul cook as a replacement... who now sounds like bowyer. 

Those people I can quiet happily say... were wrong.
  • Options
    I think Peterborough are very shrewd bringing their game forward against Northampton to Friday night as it puts pressure on others should they win.
  • Options
    esseffect said:

I don’t think anyone can claim to be right whether Bowyer should have gone earlier... there’s too many factors.

the point made above was simply many calling for Bowyers head and wanting Paul cook as a replacement... who now sounds like bowyer. 

But you can't by your own logic.

No one knows what would have happened if Bowyer had stayed.

No one knows what would have happened if be had gone earlier.  No one knows if Paul Cook would have worked here or not.

I can quiet happily say that.

He has been at Ipswich, what a month?  If people were questioning our manager after that long I would well imagine you would be one of the first defending them (and I would agree with you). 

A lot of people would have included Adkins on the "boring and uninspiring list" that they used to poo poo Cook, the Cowleys and others. 
  • Options
    esseffect said:

Cook inherited a team

Bowyer signed nearly every player he had in his squad this season

A major difference
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I know some posters on here think of Plymouth as a rural town of carrot crunchers ...... but that's not the reality.

Plymouth is an industrial city of more than 250,000, with a catchment area of a million people.

Argyle has spent much of it's history yo-yoing between Tier 3 and Tier 2 ....... but then so did Coventry, Norwich and Southampton when I was young, who've all been Prem/Tier 1 clubs in recent years.

Argyle have often had good crowds for their level, and the ground sold out on FA Cup runs.
    There's the Green Army! ...... good numbers of passionate fans, travelling all over the country.

They are the biggest club by far west of Bristol ...... and with the right financial backing, could easily be as successful as say, Bristol City, Reading, Bournemouth, etc 

Enticing the best players down to the west country will likely be their challenge 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Enticing the best players down to the west country will likely be their challenge 
    On the flip side you can live a much better lifestyle in Plymouth for 4k a week than you can in London  for 6.
  • Options
    As a Plymouth player you'll have to put up with an awful lot of long journeys to go to away games!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

On the flip side you can live a much better lifestyle in Plymouth for 4k a week than you can in London  for 6.

Different lifestyles I suspect in London and Plymouth so the comparison probably not relevant 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:

No one knows what would have happened if be had gone earlier.  No one knows if Paul Cook would have worked here or not.

He has been at Ipswich, what a month?  If people were questioning our manager after that long I would well imagine you would be one of the first defending them (and I would agree with you). 

A lot of people would have included Adkins on the "boring and uninspiring list" that they used to poo poo Cook, the Cowleys and others. 
    No no, you wanted Cook. You said he would be better. You made the statement. Cook would have inherited our squad with all its blemishes too. 

We needed to get rid of Boywer and bring in Cook.

I can admit I was wrong about bowyer staying (I had to the moment he decided to leave us!)

If yu make bold claims don’t just go hiding 

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Definitely. It's often proved difficult for Argyle.
    Not so much the player himself, but partner/wife & kids are not so keen to uproot and move down here for a 1 year contract.

Mind you, those that do often like to stay and put down roots here.
    They discover it's a good place to live.

As my nearest club, there's a lot of media coverage locally and, of course, many of my mates down here are "Green Army!".
    I get to hear a lot of what's going on at Argyle.

It's a proper traditional community club.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    As a Plymouth player you'll have to put up with an awful lot of long journeys to go to away games!
    My "Green Army!" mates tell me almost everywhere is a long journey to away games.
    And plenty of fans never miss a match, home or away.

They tell me about the times they've had to do Carlisle away on a Tuesday night. And what heartless bastard at the EFL has done that out of spite, (because he must be an Exeter fan).
    It's a long old drive back through the night when they've lost.

Local rivals are Exeter City, of course  - and they hate each other venomously!
    Remember, Plymouth Argyle are the most southerly League club in the UK ...... and they take great pleasure in singing to Exeter fans, "You Dirty Northern Bastards!" :smile:

Even leaving out the likes of Carlisle or Sunderland, away trips in this division to the likes of Hull, Ipswich or Lincoln will be daunting!
  • Options
    Blimey, that’s a lot of negative talk for someone who didn’t take over that long ago.
    It will gee then up, just in time to play us. Put your money on an Ipswich win on Sat. 
    Expecting a big reaction from the Tractor Boys, but they have to win which could leave them open,  even better if we can score first. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Huge catchment area but one of lowest average incomes in the country. 
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:

No no, you wanted Cook. You said he would be better. You made the statement. Cook would have inherited our squad with all its blemishes too. 

We needed to get rid of Boywer and bring in Cook.

I can admit I was wrong about bowyer staying (I had to the moment he decided to leave us!)

If yu make bold claims don’t just go hiding 

No no, I actually wanted the Cowleys but never mind.  I made that statement. 

Cook was a name I would have been happy with but I never said "we need to get rid of Bowyer and bring Cook in".    I also said that Bowyer should get until at least the Wimbledon game, but don't let facts get in the way, you never do. 

If you think I am hiding you not looking very hard are you. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Different lifestyles I suspect in London and Plymouth so the comparison probably not relevant 
    True, I could have put it better.  4k a week goes a lot further in Plymouth than 6k a week does in London. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I agree with you that Plymouth is a decent sized city but it's a traditionally much smaller club than Coventry, Noriwch or Southampton or us. Never been in the top division, never got to a cup final. Southampton have been in the top flight for most of the last 50 years and have had several brief forays into Europe. Coventry spent all of the 1970s, 80s and 90s in the firs division/PL. Norwich have also had a lot of seasons in the top division since the 60s.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I remember playing them in the Championship at the Valley in a midweek home game, and they'd had a good start to the season. They almost sold out the away end which was a very impressive effort considering the distance and it being midweek.
  • Options
    Plymouth have proper away support,  even though they are the back of beyond , properly put us to shame in years gone by
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Huge catchment area but one of lowest average incomes in the country. 
    Yeah, tell me about it!

• Options
    Jints said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I agree with you that Plymouth is a decent sized city but it's a traditionally much smaller club than Coventry, Noriwch or Southampton or us. Never been in the top division, never got to a cup final. Southampton have been in the top flight for most of the last 50 years and have had several brief forays into Europe. Coventry spent all of the 1970s, 80s and 90s in the firs division/PL. Norwich have also had a lot of seasons in the top division since the 60s.
    I was just pointing out than when I was young Coventry, Norwich and Southampton were not bigger clubs than Plymouth Argyle.
    Yet, those clubs eventually managed to establish themselves at higher levels.

It's like Bristol City. They are now the biggest club never to have been promoted to the Premier League.
    No reason why it won't happen for them one day.

Plymouth Argyle, by size of city, club and support, should be a regular Championship club, like Bristol City ...... and have always been traditionally seen as a pretty big fish in the Third Division.

Yet overall, they've underachieved. 
    But the potential is there, all right.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I remember playing them in the Championship at the Valley in a midweek home game, and they'd had a good start to the season. They almost sold out the away end which was a very impressive effort considering the distance and it being midweek.
    They all have jobs in London and live here...in fact, reminds me that when we played them at Upton Park once, my Dad and I were driving from Blackheath to the ground and I spotted two guys with green scarfs near the antigallican. We stopped to check they were going to the game and gave them the ‘news’ that Charlton no longer played at the Valley. We gave them a lift to Upton Park, they would have probably missed the kick off otherwise. Turns out they were both working and living in London.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

They all have jobs in London and live here...in fact, reminds me that when we played them at Upton Park once, my Dad and I were driving from Blackheath to the ground and I spotted two guys with green scarfs near the antigallican. We stopped to check they were going to the game and gave them the ‘news’ that Charlton no longer played at the Valley. We gave them a lift to Upton Park, they would have probably missed the kick off otherwise. Turns out they were both working and living in London.
    Argyle do have a thriving Supporters Club, London branch.
    And there's plenty of Plymothian ex-pats living in London. So yeah, always a good turnout for London games.

But you're being completely dismissive of the Green Army that travel up from Plymouth and surrounding areas.
    Several of my mates, Pre-Covid, rarely missed an away game ...... typical of several hundreds or even a thousand that travel from Devon & Cornwall to every away game.
    And if it's a big game, they'll take even more and completely sell out the away end.

You may not be aware of it ..... it's brilliant support and more than several Championship clubs can muster.
    @oohaahmortimer knows what I mean. 

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Was that the game where Todorov got injured and finished his career? Think both sides had about 8 booked but the tackle on Todorov went unpunished.

Holloway was in charge of them in that match.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Was that the game where Todorov got injured and finished his career? Think both sides had about 8 booked but the tackle on Todorov went unpunished.

Holloway was in charge of them in that match.
    Yes. I blamed the ref for the injury as he was allowing them to push the boundary and had he clamped down earlier  doubt the foul would have been made.