Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League 1 scores

Comments

• Bogle's started regularly for them too
  • Oggy Red said:

If Donny lose tonight, that'll be 3 successive defeats.

Agent Bogle doing his job! :smile:

I'm sure that this is a coincidence but, prior to him joining them, Doncaster had won 9 of their previous 10 matches. And he will have played in all of those 3 defeats, starting in the side for the last two.
  • Smyth 1 Bogle 0
  • Sunderland beat Lincoln in the EFL Trophy on penalties, so will play Tranmere in this season's final
  • Donny not a hope in hell with bogle up top.
  • cazo said:
    Donny not a hope in hell with bogle up top.
    They have had some serious injury problems.  Including @Sage top scouted player Simms. 
  • We are now 9th and most of the teams above us still have games in hand over us. A lot of work to do just to make the play-offs and making the top two now looks like a real longshot.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cazo said:
    They have had some serious injury problems.  Including @Sage top scouted player Simms. 
    Simms is on loan at Blackpool.
  • edited February 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cazo said:
    Wrong one - that Simms (Ellis) is at Blackpool.

Josh Sims is on loan at Doncaster from Southampton.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's so Charlton for Smyth to score and his new team overtake us.
  • philcafc said:
    We are now 9th and most of the teams above us still have games in hand over us. A lot of work to do just to make the play-offs and making the top two now looks like a real longshot.
    For a while I have felt the 6th place has been our only realistic spot.
    Increasingly I see the rest of the season as preparing for next season.
  • philcafc said:
    We are now 9th and most of the teams above us still have games in hand over us. A lot of work to do just to make the play-offs and making the top two now looks like a real longshot.
    Making the top 2 disappeared a long time ago. Realistically 6th is the only play off spot up for grabs for us now -  with Sunderland, Accrington, Oxford & even Ipswich all vying to sneak it. I rate our chance at no more than 5%. 
  • Ipswich and Sunderland are both very inconsistent same as us really.

If and a big if at the moment, we can find some form we'll finish in the top 6, because everyone else is also inconsistent 
  • edited February 2021
    Ipswich and Sunderland are both very inconsistent same as us really.

If and a big if at the moment, we can find some form we'll finish in the top 6, because everyone else is also inconsistent 
    We have been pretty consistent for some time now, like 18 games of genuine consistency.  It is simply we have been consistently poor. 

To get top 6 we need to swap squarely bottom half of table form (21 points from 18 games) to top 3-4 form and do it with half the remaining games being probably the toughest last 8 fixtures any team in this division are likely to face.

It is not impossible but will need a monumental shift in form and will need our midfield, defence and management teams to stop blaming bad lucky and worldly strikes and realise we are allowing other teams way way too much space and time.
  • We need to start winning consistently pretty damned quick - we’re staring down the barrel of page two of the table otherwise...

It’s not going to happen though is it?

We have been pretty consistent for some time now, like 18 games of genuine consistency.  It is simply we have been consistently poor. 

To get top 6 we need to swap squarely bottom half of table form (21 points from 18 games) to top 3-4 form and do it with half the remaining games being probably the toughest last 8 fixtures any team in this division are likely to face.

It is not impossible but will need a monumental shift in form and will need our midfield, defence and management teams to stop blaming bad lucky and worldly strikes and realise we are allowing other teams way way too much space and time.
    Agreed, we've not beaten any decent sides during that run, an inconsistent side would beat the top sides and lose to rubbish ones.

Our only wins since the November "break" have been
    Ipswich
    Wimbledon
    Bristol Rovers
    MK Dons
    Rochdale
    None of those are standout wins, Ipswich the best team we beat look as average as we are

In the games against the best sides, we've consistently lost
    Hull
    Accrington
    Peterborough
    Portsmouth
    That gives little hope that somehow when we play the better teams in the run in, we'll be able to raise our game

• Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

If Donny lose tonight, that'll be 3 successive defeats.

Agent Bogle doing his job! :smile:

I'm sure that this is a coincidence but, prior to him joining them, Doncaster had won 9 of their previous 10 matches. And he will have played in all of those 3 defeats, starting in the side for the last two.
    Taking Bogle out of the equation ......  There was Donny looking invincible, 9 wins out of 10.

And now 3 defeats in a week, they've suddenly fallen off a cliff.

It can happen to one or more of the sides chasing promotion/play offs. 
    Which is why it's particularly galling to see our own lack of consistency ..... the opportunity is still there if we could only get our act together.

Donny at home to Hull on Saturday. Form changes so quick in this league, if anyone could be consistent then they'd run away with it.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    cazo said:
    Wrong one - that Simms (Ellis) is at Blackpool.

Josh Sims is on loan at Doncaster from Southampton.
    Close enough, he has been injured though 🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • When you look at the table, we are certainly not out of it. But we do need to start showing the form we need. That is basically home form as away form is more than good enough. Our home form is relegation ish.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    Sunderland beat Lincoln in the EFL Trophy on penalties, so will play Tranmere in this season's final
    I guess they didn't get the memo from Sky Sports telling the EFL who they wanted to see in the final -   they have Portsmouth v Salford on March 13th down on their web site...  

https://www.skysports.com/watch/football-on-sky
  • Bit late to this party - but these two quotes from the BBC match report about Gills v Peterborough sum up what I was getting at on the post match thread on Monday:

"Days after scoring a wonder goal against Charlton, Gillingham's Connor Ogilvie almost broke the deadlock after 11 minutes with a spectacular half-volley that sailed narrowly over the bar."

"Ogilvie almost doubled the hosts' advantage seconds before the break with a low shot that had Posh goalkeeper Christy Pym beaten."

Both of them go in against us... 

I read that and for a split second thought he may have scored 0.9 of a goal
  • MattF said:
    Sunderland beat Lincoln in the EFL Trophy on penalties, so will play Tranmere in this season's final
    I guess they didn't get the memo from Sky Sports telling the EFL who they wanted to see in the final -   they have Portsmouth v Salford on March 13th down on their web site...  

That's the 2020 final being played the day before the 2021 final, will hold the record for the shortest held trophy I imagine 
    I didn't even realise that...  :D Need a TARDIS I think. 
  • MattF said:

That's the 2020 final being played the day before the 2021 final, will hold the record for the shortest held trophy I imagine 
    The winners had better have the victory parade that evening, or else they won't have the trophy to show off  :D

The EFL will be mighty relieved that the same team didn't make it to both finals, or else their cunning plan to get shot of both finals in one weekend wouldn't have worked!
  • Bit late to this party - but these two quotes from the BBC match report about Gills v Peterborough sum up what I was getting at on the post match thread on Monday:

"Days after scoring a wonder goal against Charlton, Gillingham's Connor Ogilvie almost broke the deadlock after 11 minutes with a spectacular half-volley that sailed narrowly over the bar."

"Ogilvie almost doubled the hosts' advantage seconds before the break with a low shot that had Posh goalkeeper Christy Pym beaten."

Maybe the defenders didn't give them 3 yards for training ground style shooting practice, and applied some pressure. 

And to finish top 6, we're going to have beat those teams around us.
    That's key ...... IF we can do that, we'll make up points difference in no time.

Doesn't matter how the team is positioned at the moment, it can all change for all teams.
    No one is invincible. And they are all winning and losing to the teams around them.

It's not the games in hand in a congested fixture list that will make the difference ..... it's about winning these 6 pointers.
    And we play many of these teams in the final run in.

• mendonca said:
    Bit late to this party - but these two quotes from the BBC match report about Gills v Peterborough sum up what I was getting at on the post match thread on Monday:

Maybe the defenders didn't give them 3 yards for training ground style shooting practice, and applied some pressure. 
    Then again maybe they did, and Peterborough got lucky? The Gills keeper didn't throw one back at the feet of one of our strikers, I know that. 

The third goal at The Valley was as you describe, I suspect you may have looked down for the second if you think it applies to that one.  
  • philcafc said:
    Forget the teams above us, Ipswich and Blackpool can still catch, and pass us if they win their games in hand.