Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    You could even say it has merit on the basis of being one more practical solution than any suggested by any brexiters.
  • Options
    will the drinks be on you when it happens?
  • Options

You'll need a visa to get there!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

You'll need a visa to get there!
    Oh bollocks, I forgot!
  • Options
    Wow, don't even want to quote it. What a scumbag.
  • Options
    "It's impossible to avoid the thought"

Aye Andrew, impossible.

Unless one actually has a working brain, you sick prat.
  • Options

Why?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "Lead economist of the official Leave campaign"

That's like boasting to being the lead navigator of the Titanic.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Why?
    Because I don't think it needs further sharing - or why is he a scumbag?
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

"Lead economist of the official Leave campaign"

That's like boasting to being the lead navigator of the Titanic.

And architect of austerity, what a CV.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Stig said:

Why?
    Because I don't think it needs further sharing - or why is he a scumbag?
    Fiiish said:

Stig said:

Why?
    Because

1) the total lie that Leave was ever ahead by 10 points (their biggest poll lead was only ever a few points, more or less immediately before the referendum voting day)

2) trying to capitalise on an innocent woman's murder for political purposes i.e. "if that woman hadn't gotten murdered, Leave would have won by a huge margin!"

3) ignoring the fact that the swell of leave polling had everything to do with millions of laundered, undeclared funds used to display illegal, targeted adverts to millions of swing voters
    Aah, you both seem to be referring to the Lilico tweet. Whereas the previous post was the Heath quote. That explains it. D'accord!

• Options
    Serves me right for not quoting!
  • Options
    Heard take today from a teacher of sixth formers (so don't shoot the messenger) that they all want to vote leave, and the harder the better if there's a second referendum. Their single reason is that they want the economy to tank so they may be able to afford a house. I appreciate this is small sample size, anecdotal evidence and therefore next to useless, however a few thoughts:

A) it's awful if the dream of owning a house is predicated on a financial crash, and all that entails.

B) I don't think they thought it through

C) I don't think the results of any second referendum are in the bag.
  • Options
    One of the problems with the second referendum is that it is proposed by remainers. The reality is that it is the only clear way for the country to move out of the stalemate it is currently in. And it provides the opportunity for Leavers to re-affirm their original vote and send the message to politicians to get on with it. Everybody has to face the facts here- we are stuck - there is no point arguing for what sort of Brexit we want forever - we have to break up the blockage!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

One of the problems with the second referendum is that it is proposed by remainers. The reality is that it is the only clear way for the country to move out of the stalemate it is currently in. And it provides the opportunity for Leavers to re-affirm their original vote and send the message to politicians to get on with it. Everybody has to face the facts here- we are stuck - there is no point arguing for what sort of Brexit we want forever - we have to break up the blockage!

And if the leave voters win again, they should then have to reaffirm it every year until they lose.

What happens by the way, if the second referendum result is 52-48 in favour of remain? We remain or have another?
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

And if the leave voters win again, they should then have to reaffirm it every year until they lose.

What happens by the way, if the second referendum result is 52-48 in favour of remain? We remain or have another?
    No. That's the good thing about Remain - it doesn't need clarification. leave on the other hand? May has a deal for leave, which a lot of Brexiteers are set to reject. However, the No Deal offer or Hard Brexit are distinct from the deal May has. After winning her vote of confidence, May was strutting outside Parliament saying her job was now to get on with giving Britain the Brexit it had asked for. Sorry, what? If Brexiteers are hopelessly split on the deal she has (and lets be honest, if se brings back a hard Brexit, the same will happen) how can there even exist a Brexit that the public have asked for? Unfortunately, the Brexiteers are desperate to cling onto a result they obtained, and the idea of having another terrifies them that it may be taken away. If we applied this to Parliament, we would still have Tony Blair or John Major - the public made their decision clear so why ask again?
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Huskaris said:

But they wouldn't have to as we would have left. The problem is somebody has to get a grip on reality here. I'll give it to you and feel free to tell me what is wrong with what follows. There are not the numbers for the ERG's hard Brexit, There are not the numbers for May's Brexit, there are not the numbers for Labours Customs Union Brexit, There are not the numbers for just calling Brexit off. Which of these options are going to carry the day? - it seems pretty clear that none of them will unless there is an external nudge.

The sooner people woke up and smelt the coffee the better. It isn't ideal, I agree, but there isn't an alternative.
  • Options

If by "breaking up the blockage" you mean getting Dyno Rod around to flush this monstrous turd of a political situation the Tories have created for us all, then I agree. All the better if they can get the rods out and get rid of the likes of Johnson, Farage, Davis, Fox, Raab, Mogg, IDS, Howey, Banks, Leadsum, Gove et al at the same time...

*for the avoidance of doubt the above is merely a toilet based metaphor and in no way do I advocate the literal use of high pressure water jets or water cannons to flush away the political floaters named above.*
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    McBobbin said:

Heard take today from a teacher of sixth formers (so don't shoot the messenger) that they all want to vote leave, and the harder the better if there's a second referendum. Their single reason is that they want the economy to tank so they may be able to afford a house. I appreciate this is small sample size, anecdotal evidence and therefore next to useless, however a few thoughts:

A) it's awful if the dream of owning a house is predicated on a financial crash, and all that entails.

Genuine question. Do sixth formers nowadays have a big awareness of house prices and think about buying?

If i think back to that time, I think it was in the far distant future to me. The big issues were passing my driving test, getting good grades to go to Uni, getting laid and getting served in the pub. In interchangable order...

Admittedly media coverage of the issue would reach down further nowadays, but even so; I don't think my nephew and niece thought about it at sixth form, they do now, at the ages of 26 and 20, but both are strong Remainers.

• Options
    Most sixth formers can’t vote anyway, so fuck ‘em!
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Genuine question. Do sixth formers nowadays have a big awareness of house prices and think about buying?

If i think back to that time, I think it was in the far distant future to me. The big issues were passing my driving test, getting good grades to go to Uni, getting laid and getting served in the pub. In interchangable order...

Admittedly media coverage of the issue would reach down further nowadays, but even so; I don't think my nephew and niece thought about it at sixth form, they do now, at the ages of 26 and 20, but both are strong Remainers.

I do not have an answer to that. From my own youth I was aware of mortgages... I doubt teenagers without jobs living independently have a complete grip on the mathematics though. There is "much talk" of house prices and how the young will never afford them, and in the news recently there was a story about a house price crash in the event of a no deal brexit, so perhaps that was the catalyst? Here the story https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-45516678

The reason I mentioned it was because I assumed most youngsters are remain (80% was floating around, though I haven't bothered to check) but it was the reasoning that intrigued me.
  • Options

Just came across this thanks to Twitter. Never come across the author, Ryan Heath before. He is an Aussie. He nails the whole Brexit malaise with devastating clarity, mixed with a dose of cold malice that reminds me of Shane Warne in his pomp.

Excerpts:

Brexit is the story of a proud former imperial power undergoing a mid-life crisis. The rest of the world is left listening to Britain’s therapy session as they drone on about their ex-spouse, the EU: When will they stop talking and just move on?

It is perhaps because of this history that many people in the U.K. are so awfully uninformed about the EU. Its political and journalistic classes are simply unused to having to consider the opinions of others.

It is fashionable to blame an irresponsible U.K. media (including the country’s most famous sometime-journalist, now leading Brexiteer MP Boris Johnson) for stoking misunderstanding about the EU for decades. Long before Macedonian troll factories and Russian bots there were the editors of the Sun tabloid newspaper.

But what about the millions of people who consumed those fibs and the spineless politicians who avoided the hassle of correcting them? We blame Greeks for blowing up their economy and hold accountable big-spending governments for saddling future generations with excessive debts. Britons don’t deserve a free pass: It’s time they reckoned with what they sowed through 45 years of shallow EU debate.

Yep. In a nutshell.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

How do they expect to get a mortgage in a financial crash?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!