Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• I have a mate who voted leave simply because he hates David Cameron. I know somebody who voted leave to stop the terrorist immigrants - not a friend I must add. Mind you this Taxi driver probably is much more important than them as his reasons for voting trumps everybody elses!

I know someone who voted leave, because he wanted to enjoy the enduing chaos.
    I know a fair few of these, they see themselves as living outside the mainstream bubble and like to be edgy and quirky. They think the whole thing is funny.

• Jints said:

razil said:

Surely there is time if Article 50 is reversed which can now happen?

This is true. Unfortunately neither party has indicated that it is willing to consider withdrawing article 50 - at this point it would be political suicide for either of them. I think this could only happen if there was a 2nd referendum (in which case the EU would almost certainly agree a suspension) followed by a remain vote which would lead to a withdrawal of art. 50.

most likely is a suspension offered by the EU as time runs out in my view, or a withdrawal dressed up as a suspension if the EU arent forthcoming. Agree a termination withdrawal only likely as a result of a referendum..
  • CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

Ah so @southbank has finally blown the Soros dogwhistle.

Right then mate, I'll let you in on something. I'm a beneficiary of George Soros. To the tune of €1500.

What did I do with this money? Did I use this wall of money to set about subverting Czech or UK democracy to help him make more billions (as the alt.right would suppose and suggest).?

Well. I used it to set up the Czech version of the WhatDoTheyKnow website. The website used to force for example the full disclosure of the West Ham Olympic Stadium contract. The website that could assist you in getting information that would help you uncover whether George Soros had clandestinely contributed funds to some public body.

As a result of this I joined a community comprising some of the most wonderful people I have ever met. For example in Hungary the people who run the same FOI site have for their troubles been raided, physically threatened by police and shadowy private persons, had their computers taken, been subjected to spurious intimidating tax audits..for running a website which helps people use an active law to seek information about their own public bodies.

This is the sort of thing Soros' Open Society Fund does. You can easily go to their website and see what they do. I somehow doubt you will like it. But you will struggle to demonstrate that it is anti-democratic. It gives voice to the weak, the under-represented, the discriminated against. I think that is something a mature, self-confident democracy welcomes.

So I'd think twice before blowing that particular dogwhistle here, if I were you...

Fucking thank you. I was getting to go to Yr sty

If you like conspiracy theories then worth reading this series of tweets regarding how May initiated the vote of confidence to negate the ERG.

Interesting if true

Completely plausible and i think that there is a good chance this is what went on
  • If you like conspiracy theories then worth reading this series of tweets regarding how May initiated the vote of confidence to negate the ERG.

Interesting if true

That is an intriguing speculation
  • More and more people are voting against the establishment because they are voting against the establishment. When you don't have a pay rise for 10 years and politicians tell you how well you are doing, it can have that effect.

That is why the outcome of another referendum or peoples vote may not be as predictable as some people think.
    The British can be bloodyminded.
  • edited December 2018

More and more people are voting against the establishment because they are voting against the establishment. When you don't have a pay rise for 10 years and politicians tell you how well you are doing, it can have that effect.

I don't disagree, but how perverse is it that amongst the leading Brexiteers are figures of the deepest historical establishment?

"I'm voting against the establishment by voting with the establishment".

Total bollox.
  • If you like conspiracy theories then worth reading this series of tweets regarding how May initiated the vote of confidence to negate the ERG.

Interesting if true

I used to work with Jon Worth and he is well connected and not prone to exaggeration.
  • Sponsored links:

• More and more people are voting against the establishment because they are voting against the establishment. When you don't have a pay rise for 10 years and politicians tell you how well you are doing, it can have that effect.

That is why the outcome of another referendum or peoples vote may not be as predictable as some people think.
    The British can be bloodyminded.
    Yes, and that is why you have to fall into it when nothing else works IMO. But May's deal v Remain is a safer bet that a Hard Brexit v Remain.
  • edited December 2018
    stonemuse said:
    The issue they have is that it is there, not what their intent is. If it is there the argument is that it can be used.
  • I hope that in addition to debating this issue on here all of you are getting in touch (frequently) with your MPs to make your views known.
  • I think they should cancel Parliament's Christmas break now :)
  • Nadou said:

I hope that in addition to debating this issue on here all of you are getting in touch (frequently) with your MPs to make your views known.

I would, but as Orflaith Begley (far too young to be an MP) won't be voting, there's not really any point...

Especially as I'm never likely to vote for anyone representing her party..
  • Either they make the backstop unilateral or they time limit it, nothing else will observe the sovereignty issue in my view
  • I have a mate who voted leave simply because he hates David Cameron. I know somebody who voted leave to stop the terrorist immigrants - not a friend I must add. Mind you this Taxi driver probably is much more important than them as his reasons for voting trumps everybody elses!

I know someone who voted leave, because he wanted to enjoy the enduing chaos.
    I know a fair few of these, they see themselves as living outside the mainstream bubble and like to be edgy and quirky. They think the whole thing is funny.

I've come across a few who did not want to leave at all as they see the plus side of our membership but voted that way to "protest at Cameron's attempts at getting further concessions out of the EU" and who never expected us to follow it through.

Cheers for that...
  • Sponsored links:

• I think they should cancel Parliament's Christmas break now :)

This shouldnt even be up for debate, they can have xmas day off, apart from that, They should be trying to solve this shit show.
    Parliament recess 20th Dec to 7th Jan
  • Funniest thing for me last night was the cameraman catching Boris Johnson skulking away and having trouble undoing the lock on his bike. He wasn’t a happy fellow😀
  • bobmunro said:

razil said:

Either they make the backstop unilateral or they time limit it, nothing else will observe the sovereignty issue in my view

A unilateral backstop isn't a backstop - and what happens at the end of the time limit if no deal is done allowing a frictionless border?
    it goes to a no deal, which is what it did now/before

Interesting if true

House of Cards stuff.
  • razil said:

bobmunro said:

razil said:

Either they make the backstop unilateral or they time limit it, nothing else will observe the sovereignty issue in my view

A unilateral backstop isn't a backstop - and what happens at the end of the time limit if no deal is done allowing a frictionless border?
    it goes to a no deal, which is what it did now/before
    Isn't that just another version of the 'implementation phase'?
  • HarryLime said:

More political heavyweights having their say.
    Terifffik

I think we need to get 'arry in and steady the ship. Even he wouldn't spend £39bn.
  • HarryLime said:

Terifffik

I think we need to get 'arry in and steady the ship. Even he wouldn't spend £39bn.
    I like his jam rolley polley policy, but not sure about making bank accounts under a pet’s name policy.
  • HarryLime said:

Terifffik

I like his jam rolley polley policy, but not sure about making bank accounts under a pet’s name policy.
    I believe he would only spend half of the £39b - albeit it may be on a 'one for you, one for me' basis.
  • bobmunro said:

HarryLime said:

Terifffik

I believe he would only spend half of the £39b - albeit it may be on a 'one for you, one for me' basis.
    Bung the Irish president a few mil, hard border problem solved
  • bobmunro said:

HarryLime said:

Terifffik

Bung the Irish president a few mil, hard border problem solved
    But how does he deal with the fragrant Arlene?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!