Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    shirty5 said:

117 is huge. Awful for May

Same as the number of players under Roland, good to see two well run organisations coming together.
  • Options

Are people that find Corbyn useless but don't really want to talk about him also part of this cult? The general consensus on here seems to be that he is a bit of a waste of time - I don't really see anyone worshipping him, or many people praising him generally. Anyway, this should be on a different thread!

I think he is a decent bloke and like his policies. I accept others don't. I didn't not so long ago. I just changed my mind. I don't think you can accuse me of being part of a cult for doing that - mind you I do chant 'Oh Jeremy Corbyn' repeatedly for 20 minutes each evening whilst burning scented candles. But I think I would need to do that for at least an hour before it becomes cult like behaviour.
    No one who denies a genocide could ever be rated as “a decent bloke”
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

It is interesting what is said about Corbyn.

He is Anti-Semitic for example, the Labour party is 'rife' with it, he is a 'friend' of terrorists, 'controlled' by Momentum or Len McClusky, a communist mole, an IRA gun runner and so on.

The thing is it only takes a moment to declare something is so, and a few hours to debunk it.

The ratio of crap to truth on the internet is simply too much for truth to have any chance of ever catching up because of the rate crap can be churned out.

Here is a new 'fact'. Jeremy Corbyn is secretly cultivating magic mushrooms in his allotment shed, and using them along with an exotic combination of herbs to drug labour MP's one by one to become his cult followers.

Rubbish you might shout.

Ah

But can you prove it's not true huh?

Of course he wouldn't admit it would he?

What is palpably obvious to one person is less so to another, so we have a declaration regarding a hierarchy of truth or facts where my ones are 'obviously' better than your ones.

The internet seems to be demanding a new definition of, and a new approach to plain common sense.

One starting point might be to assume that 100% of everything on the internet and media is total bollocks and whittle it down from there.

This thread has had its nominees, but this might just be the biggest straw man I’ve seen.

It’s almost as if youve copied and pasted and replaced “trump” with Corbyn there.
    Not at all. Just recently I have been reading a book called 'Post Truth' by a writer called James Ball which has led me to ponder on the matter.

One example he gives is that the US Government had been secretly stockpiling 30,000 Guillotines, stored in internment camps, one in Alaska large enough for two million people, ready to wipe out second amendment supporters at a rate of three million an hour once Hilary Clinton got elected. You can't prove it didn't happen.

The entire internet is populated by straw men and women if you like.

If you say I am refuting an argument made by Henry about Corbyn, by talking about something he didn't say at all, then you are incorrect. I am not refuting whether Corbyn is the Devil Incarnate or Nelson Mandela's blood brother, I am pointing out how quick and easy it is to declare something, and I am talking about how the subtle, even unconscious, use of language can infiltrate an issue to make it unreliable and opaque.
    If it helps, I read a book once that claimed if you run into a wall at Kings Cross station you get a free education at a dead posh private school.

You didn’t think of giving it a go then?

• Options
    Why was the threshold she needed to survive 158 votes when there were a total of 317 cast?

She could have lost 158-159 and technically 'won'?
  • Options
    @Missed It

As for people being rude to each other about Brexit, I agree, it's tiresome in the extreme. Anybody who foolishly pops in here to post anything counter to the Remainer group-think has their posts forensically dissected and, if they're lucky, get away without any personal insults. Brexit is already harming the economy. People waste 40 minutes at a time googling stuff to rebut any anti-EU statement they come across when they should be getting on with their job!

I am sure that bit was irony, right?
  • Options

Why was the threshold she needed to survive 158 votes when there were a total of 317 cast?

Maybe they assumed she would vote for herself and ignored her in the numbers?
  • Options
    Anybody think she has any chance of getting her plan through?
  • Options

Laddick01 said:

I’m not sure who’s won there.

An interesting observation! May wins the right to continue uninterrupted by the ERG for another 12 months.

However, this ups the stakes as now the only way to change the leadership of the country is a no confidence in the government / defection by the Tory remainers who hold the balance of power.

The angles are extremely complex so perhaps let the journos, analysts and markets give their feedback.

It's still unclear how the WA will become law or what alternative might prevail. Meanwhile my pint of Guiness in a Dublin bar has just been charged at £5.33 (on €5.70) on my card - ouch!
    And that in a nutshell is what, for the majority, is how all of this affects us...

The future and pounds in our pockets, whoever has the helm will not be able to give clarity and guarantees on.

It’s Clear as mud...

Cannot lay all this blame at Mays doorstep,
    David Davies negotiated, spat his dummy and left. Johnson’s - same.

Most are for their own political advancement and career (especially Boris) not the Country.

• Options

Are people that find Corbyn useless but don't really want to talk about him also part of this cult? The general consensus on here seems to be that he is a bit of a waste of time - I don't really see anyone worshipping him, or many people praising him generally. Anyway, this should be on a different thread!

I think he is a decent bloke and like his policies. I accept others don't. I didn't not so long ago. I just changed my mind. I don't think you can accuse me of being part of a cult for doing that - mind you I do chant 'Oh Jeremy Corbyn' repeatedly for 20 minutes each evening whilst burning scented candles. But I think I would need to do that for at least an hour before it becomes cult like behaviour.
    Are you saying that Corbyn denied the Holocaust even took place, that he denied that the Nazi's murdered millions of people?
  • Options

It changed to 159 earlier when the whip was given back to Andrew Griffiths today. Good timing eh?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

When did he do that exactly? That's a pretty big claim.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

It changed to 159 earlier when the whip was given back to Andrew Griffiths today. Good timing eh?
    Ah ok cheers.

• Options
    So we have 117 MPs who have no confidence in the leader of the government but would vote that they have confidence in the government to save their jobs. What does that say about them?
  • Options

Corbyn didn't deny the genocide, he said the evidence had been fabricated and it had. The initial false report of 100000 killed was later reduced to 3000. As a pacifist he suggested not going to war, you might not agree with that stance but don't try to distort it.
  • Options

Corbyn didn't deny the genocide, he said the evidence had been fabricated and it had. The initial false report of 100000 killed was later reduced to 3000. As a pacifist he suggested not going to war, you might not agree with that stance but don't try to distort it.
    This would seem to be what Kentaddick believes justifies his inflammatory remark:

https://edm.parliament.uk/early-day-motion/26919
  • Options
    micks1950 said:

This would seem to be what Kentaddick believes justifies his inflammatory remark:

He we go again, Corbyn, Corbyn, Corbyn.
  • Options

Anybody think she has any chance of getting her plan through?

I think she might.
    Despite what they say, the Eurocrats could offer a bit of leverage on the NI situation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

micks1950 said:

He we go again, Corbyn, Corbyn, Corbyn.
    I thought people might want to know what Kentaddick's extraordinary remark was about - so they can make their own minds up?

I would have thought it was more like information, information, information.....
  • Options
    Can someone put me right on the Backstop as I really haven't been paying attention?

From the BBC:
    The backstop is a position of last resort, to maintain an open border on the island of Ireland in the event that the UK leaves the EU without securing an all-encompassing deal.

But if the UK accept the Backstop then that would secure an all encompassing deal wouldn't it?
    So no need for a last resort Backstop?
  • Options

Can someone put me right on the Backstop as I really haven't been paying attention?

From the BBC:
    The backstop is a position of last resort, to maintain an open border on the island of Ireland in the event that the UK leaves the EU without securing an all-encompassing deal.

But if the UK accept the Backstop then that would secure an all encompassing deal wouldn't it?

While the backstop is only insurance it will never fly with the very people who ensure the government's majority because it legally guarantees the possibility of separating the sovereignty of Northern Ireland.
  • Options

From the BBC:

While the backstop is only insurance it will never fly with the very people who ensure the government's majority because it legally guarantees the possibility of separating the sovereignty of Northern Ireland.
    Not sure I understand this, but ithe backstop also contradicts the Good Friday Agreement which stopped the greatest domestic bloodshed in my lifetime.
  • Options
    Watch when Labour call for a vote of no confidence they will have the backing of some hard Brexiteers.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Today is the day for Corbyn's no confidence vote.

Is it? They get one shot at this, perhaps two? All depends upon what's going through the minds of Soubry, Clarke and the rest of the Tory remainers - what are the angles on May surviving?

When it becomes clear that May is toast and cannot secure 158 MPs might be when the Tory remainers might support a change of government.

All of Muttley’s predictions have come true - let’s see if that trend continues!
    @MuttleyCAFC did labour put in that no confidence vote that you predicted?
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

Rees-Mogg, good speaker. Massive twat.

I am 50% behind you on this.
  • Options
    Did I hear Liam Fox correctly earlier ?? Discussing TM's deal & the (very hopefull) changes /clarifications that she is seeking.....I thought he said if the deal came back with no changes then Cabinet MIGHT agree to not put it to the HOC for a vote.Can they do that ?? And if so, what happens next .....exit with no deal ??
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!