Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options

Nadou said:

I hope that in addition to debating this issue on here all of you are getting in touch (frequently) with your MPs to make your views known.

I would, but as Orflaith Begley (far too young to be an MP) won't be voting, there's not really any point...

Especially as I'm never likely to vote for anyone representing her party..
    She's a good looking lady though 😀
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

HarryLime said:

More political heavyweights having their say.
    Terifffik

I think we need to get 'arry in and steady the ship. Even he wouldn't spend £39bn.
    I like his jam rolley polley policy, but not sure about making bank accounts under a pet’s name policy.
    I believe he would only spend half of the £39b - albeit it may be on a 'one for you, one for me' basis.
    Bung the Irish president a few mil, hard border problem solved
    But how does he deal with the fragrant Arlene?
    Signing her to play upfront for West Ham
  • Options

bobmunro said:

HarryLime said:

Terifffik

I think we need to get 'arry in and steady the ship. Even he wouldn't spend £39bn.
    I like his jam rolley polley policy, but not sure about making bank accounts under a pet’s name policy.
    I believe he would only spend half of the £39b - albeit it may be on a 'one for you, one for me' basis.
    He'd need a giant ******* envelope!
  • Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

HarryLime said:

Terifffik

Bearing in mind he bought Traore from us, that's not an unlikely guess.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Dazzler21 said:

Did I hear Liam Fox correctly earlier ?? Discussing TM's deal & the (very hopefull) changes /clarifications that she is seeking.....I thought he said if the deal came back with no changes then Cabinet MIGHT agree to not put it to the HOC for a vote.Can they do that ?? And if so, what happens next .....exit with no deal ??

Nope either HOC or a referendum is what was inferred earlier today on LBC but then JO'B does spout some shit on there.
    He really does... I listen to him every day to see what the real headbangers must be hearing, and my god does he love himself, and has unbelievable anchoring bias, where he only puts forward opinions and facts that support his own view, as opposed to facts that support both sides... He has made his career out of Brexit to be fair to him though so good for him can't blame him for being a bit over the top with it.

Someone like Majid Nawaz is a strong Remainer but is much better in terms of allowing people that don't have their tongue up his arse to speak rather than just cutting them off or incessantly talking over them, and Andrew Castle probably represents the "Remainer but let's just get on with it because of this weird thing called democracy" (like me) attitude.
    Love a bit of Majid, between he, Ferrari and Dale it makes LBC listenable.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

HarryLime said:

Terifffik

He'd need a giant ******* envelope!
    I'm not one to be pass remarkable, but even the normal A4 would be "a giant ******* envelope" for Michael D....
  • Options

Nadou said:

I hope that in addition to debating this issue on here all of you are getting in touch (frequently) with your MPs to make your views known.

I would, but as Orflaith Begley (far too young to be an MP) won't be voting, there's not really any point...

Especially as I'm never likely to vote for anyone representing her party..
    She's a good looking lady though 😀
    Not the sort of comment I could make....

What with being old enough to be her father's older brother and all that (to say nothing of the big local GAA rivalry between my team and hers, with her being from Carrickmore).

She is actually really quite effective as a media operator, though some might not love the Tyrone accent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

HarryLime said:

Terifffik

Ridiculous statement!

She’s already playing centre half for Leicester & England!! :wink:
  • Options
    Austrian chancellor says it is hard to know what will satisfy Brexiters because their arguments aren't rational
    As Sebastian Kurz, the Austrian chancellor, was arriving at the EU summit (see 2.16pm), he was asked what concessions might succeed in winning over Theresa May’s domestic critics. He replied:

'It is difficult to judge, because many of the sceptics do not argue in a way that is really rational.'
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I will admit to having laughed at this: https://twitter.com/BorderIrish/status/981882290707091456...

...And then I realised it was from April.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Well let;s all do that then seeing as you put it like that :) Thanks for the help.
  • Options

Austrian chancellor says it is hard to know what will satisfy Brexiters because their arguments aren't rational
    As Sebastian Kurz, the Austrian chancellor, was arriving at the EU summit (see 2.16pm), he was asked what concessions might succeed in winning over Theresa May’s domestic critics. He replied:

'It is difficult to judge, because many of the sceptics do not argue in a way that is really rational.'

Well, perhaps I can help.

Brexit meanings leaving the EU. This means leaving the Customs Unions & with it, Free Movement of Trade, People & Services. Also it means leaving the jurisdiction of the ECJ. Its not really that hard to understand. This is why I don't get this "Norway +" option...........and that means staying in the CU and paying money to the EU (unless I'm missing something). No backstop or any other "insurances" after the transition/implementation period.

For me, its No deal & leave on the 29th March on WTO terms.
    How will things operate in practice on the borders under WTO terms?
  • Options

bobmunro said:

HarryLime said:

Terifffik

I realise you are being facetious but the Irish president has no power. Aside from the fact that he is one of the most honourable politicians around and would never accept your bribe. So thats another solution to the border that is unworkable. Keep trying though and eventually you will find an answer we can work with and you can get out of the backstop.
  • Options
    So the EU have committed to saying that the Backstop is temporary and other assurances which if all 27 sign up they will be politically binding but not legally binding. Will that be enough ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    el-pietro said:

bobmunro said:

HarryLime said:

Terifffik

I realise you are being facetious but the Irish president has no power. Aside from the fact that he is one of the most honourable politicians around and would never accept your bribe. So thats another solution to the border that is unworkable. Keep trying though and eventually you will find an answer we can work with and you can get out of the backstop.
    I apologise to the Irish president. I was trying, and failing, to make a joke about Harry's alleged love of a bung.

On reflection I don't think Rednapp is the answer to the Brexit problem.
  • Options

So the EU have committed to saying that the Backstop is temporary and other assurances which if all 27 sign up they will be politically binding but not legally binding. Will that be enough ?

Not to get it through Parliament, nope.
  • Options

Has that been suggested?

How would that work.

If the back stop is say, temporary for two years, what happens when it expires? If it is temporary, is it still a backstop. Would the 27 and in particular Ireland accept that?
    WSS said:

Not to get it through Parliament, nope.
    Not some of them. The ERG will vote down anything that isn't unicorns.
  • Options
    I think the solution to the backstop issue is a customs union so not much help here. But I do think the DUPs and other MPs opposition to the backstop has logic if you see it from their position. If you are going to say to them, we won't need it, they can say why have it? The EU say it is insurance, but you take out insurance because you might need it. You hope not to but you might. It is going to be impossible for May to get the support she needs from her own side and her allies!
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Harry relaxing at social event

Arlene in action for England

Sorry...just aleays thought they looked alike...the dark hair, brooding look and square jaw!! :wink:

I reckon she's a right little cracker!

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I would expect the DUP to be against an indefinite backstop.

That is absolutely their position and absolutely to be expected. Their position, and their votes in a hung parliament are currently a factor. There are delicious ironies everywhere for the Tories, but there is little point complaining that the Democratic Unionist Party is being the Democratic Unionist Party, or that the European Union is being the European Union, or that the Republic of Ireland is being the Republic of Ireland, or that the Belfast Agreement (GFA) exists.

That is the dilemma.

One thing the UK could try is to approach the ROI with a deal to dismantle the Belfast Agreement and establish 'hard' controls on the land border in Ireland to satisfy brexit, and in return the UK pays £500 to each person who crosses that border each time they cross it (person not vehicle) because of the delays caused by the checks. If the checks take longer than 30 minutes the payment increases by £500 for each subsequent 15 minutes.

There you go.

A suggestion that is more grounded than belief in Unicorns.

(might need some extra tweaks)
  • Options
    seth plum said:

That is absolutely their position and absolutely to be expected. Their position, and their votes in a hung parliament are currently a factor. There are delicious ironies everywhere for the Tories, but there is little point complaining that the Democratic Unionist Party is being the Democratic Unionist Party, or that the European Union is being the European Union, or that the Republic of Ireland is being the Republic of Ireland, or that the Belfast Agreement (GFA) exists.

That is the dilemma.

One thing the UK could try is to approach the ROI with a deal to dismantle the Belfast Agreement and establish 'hard' controls on the land border in Ireland to satisfy brexit, and in return the UK pays £500 to each person who crosses that border each time they cross it (person not vehicle) because of the delays caused by the checks. If the checks take longer than 30 minutes the payment increases by £500 for each subsequent 15 minutes.

There you go.

Estimated 30,000 people cross the border each day.
  • Options

seth plum said:

That is the dilemma.

There you go.

Easy Peasey, get the dosh (£15,000,000 per day) from the UK magic money tree that found the wherewithal to bribe the DUP. One billion would cover about 68 days of this arrangement (although I suspect there might be increased traffic at the border once the UK government introduces this initiative).
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

That is the dilemma.

There you go.

Easy Peasey, get the dosh (£15,000,000 per day) from the UK magic money tree that found the wherewithal to bribe the DUP. One billion would cover about 68 days of this arrangement (although I suspect there might be increased traffic at the border once the UK government introduces this initiative).
    I remember being told that someone had suggested, not entirely unseriously, that it would be cheaper to give everyone in Northern Ireland £1 million each, hand it over to Dublin, and offer free houses in Britain to those determined to remain in the UK, than paying to keep NI.

Sometimes, and not only at fallow times before pay day, I think the idea has some merit.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!