Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options

Today is the day for Corbyn's no confidence vote.

Would be a tactical disaster although good for the craic.

Putting in a vote of no confidence at the point where the PM has just got a vote of support from her MP’s would be ridiculous. That’s the risk for Corbyn.

There will come a time but it’s not now.
    There is little point waiting for May's deal to be put to the vote as it is unlikely to happen.
    That’s not necessarily when it’s best to call for a Labour vote of no confidence. The time will be perhaps tomorrow should she lose because there won’t be another PM in place until at least mid January. Hardly stable given the timescales involved in Brexit. Having said that the DUP won’t support the vote unless this deal is still on the table. My guess is that it won’t come until a “no deal” is looking likely.

If it looks like May survives then there's no way Labour and SNP will succeed with a no confidence vote. So they then pursue the People's vote option.

However if the Tories decide to ditch May then it's chaos and the likely winner has no credibility. Perhaps that's enough to trigger the Tory remainers to have a chat with Starmer and Umunna.

The question is whether they can agree where this might go with the Labour leadership. If yes then we may see a change of government - without an election!

Anything else and the time pressure simply builds and builds. Judging by Italy taking the piss out of Macron pushing up French deficit, the coalition will not sign off on Art.50 extension - they want distractions elsewhere to take the spotlight off of their own challenges.

As posted the other day this is likely to get a lot worse before anything changes.
  • Options
    I've been critical of the Labour politicians that the BBC have given airtime to lately, but to be fair to the BBC it did not appoint them as shadow ministers.

But why exactly did they give airtime to Bernard Jenkin MP?

What do you know about him? The name should be familiar since we have been paying him to be an MP since 1992. What has he done, in this time?

He has banged on about Europe. On and on and on. Nothing else for 26 years. Never even considered for a ministerial role. He was on today because he was one of the 48. He's one of the "sovereignty" Brexiteers. He is the Southbank of the Tory party.

There is only one other thing of note in his political career

In May 2009 Jenkin was reported by The Daily Telegraph to have used £50,000 in expenses to pay his sister-in-law rent on the property he uses as his constituency home. Jenkin claimed that he was just paying "an honest and reasonable rent" for the property.[11] On 27 October 2009, it was initially recommended that Bernard Jenkin pay back £63,250 by expenses auditor Sir Thomas Legg. This is the highest amount known to have been recommended after an audit of MPs' claims on second homes expenses.[12][13] This amount was reduced to £36,250 following an appeal.[14]

This is the kind of politician now driving the UK.
  • Options

I've been critical of the Labour politicians that the BBC have given airtime to lately, but to be fair to the BBC it did not appoint them as shadow ministers.

What do you know about him? The name should be familiar since we have been paying him to be an MP since 1992. What has he done, in this time?

He has banged on about Europe. On and on and on. Nothing else for 26 years. Never even considered for a ministerial role. He was on today because he was one of the 48. He's one of the "sovereignty" Brexiteers. He is the Southbank of the Tory party.

In May 2009 Jenkin was reported by The Daily Telegraph to have used £50,000 in expenses to pay his sister-in-law rent on the property he uses as his constituency home. Jenkin claimed that he was just paying "an honest and reasonable rent" for the property.[11] On 27 October 2009, it was initially recommended that Bernard Jenkin pay back £63,250 by expenses auditor Sir Thomas Legg. This is the highest amount known to have been recommended after an audit of MPs' claims on second homes expenses.[12][13] This amount was reduced to £36,250 following an appeal.[14]

Also famous for being the Blackadder Bernard😀

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1446547/Why-Tory-MP-is-the-father-of-all-Bernards.html
  • Options

It's the same kind of politician that drives the EU too. The EU has MEP expenses issues of its own and they're built in to the system with zero transparency to the tax paying public and little or no oversight from the EU. More than £50,000 a year of unaudited expenses for each MEP that they are supposed to spend on offices in their own country, but could just as easily be spent on any dubious thing they please. Only something like 130 of the 750 MEPs have actually divulged what they spend. It's thought there are about 250 "ghost offices" that supposedly exist but nobody can find.

The UK parliament eventually cleaned house on expenses, the EU continues to allow MEPs to trouser cash as they please.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Missed It said:

It's the same kind of politician that drives the EU too. The EU has MEP expenses issues of its own and they're built in to the system with zero transparency to the tax paying public and little or no oversight from the EU. More than £50,000 a year of unaudited expenses for each MEP that they are supposed to spend on offices in their own country, but could just as easily be spent on any dubious thing they please. Only something like 130 of the 750 MEPs have actually divulged what they spend. It's thought there are about 250 "ghost offices" that supposedly exist but nobody can find.

The UK parliament eventually cleaned house on expenses, the EU continues to allow MEPs to trouser cash as they please.
    One reason Nigel and his boys were secretly cursing the successful ‘Leave vote’ 😀
  • Options

FFS...Labour have put up Richard Burgon on Politics Live today.

There is an empty chair at the moment. The best thing Labour can hope for is that it stays empty.
  • Options
    So what’s Corbyn gonna be asking at PMQs? My guess is he’s just gonna ask why Sandra from Middlesbrough can’t walk her dog anymore because of austerity and stutter something about how evil tories are.

Another case of him falling over and kicking the ball into his own head from an open goal 2 yards away.
  • Options

So what’s Corbyn gonna be asking at PMQs? My guess is he’s just gonna ask why Sandra from Middlesbrough can’t walk her dog anymore because of austerity and stutter something about how evil tories are.

Another case of him falling over and kicking the ball into his own head from an open goal 2 yards away.

Just said basically the same to my colleague, he'll probably talk about bins.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Just for once, you've got a point. Well, half of one.

It is a scandal that we cannot access this information under Freedom of Information Law, when the EU institutions are subject to it. You can ask such questions here (AsktheEU). That website is a sister of WhatDoTheyKnow.com I liked it, and the activisits involved, so much that I joined them and set up the Czech version. As you can read here, the fight to get this changed is being led by journalists, ably supported by the author of that article, Helen Darbishire, a Madrid based Brit. It is my privilege to know Helen, and even more so to have met Heather Brooke, the British based American freelance journalist who used FOI to uncover the UK scandal (I hope you didn't think it was the Telegraph, who just nicked her scoop).

I wrote "half a point" because as this recent Telegraph article shows, the Commons still has not learnt its lesson, and expense fiddling requires constant work by journalists.

So I am afraid your take on the issue is both typically tribal and also a bit complacent.

Shall I take it that expenses apart, you think Bernard Jenkin is a good MP who should be at the forefront of re-shaping the UK's future at this time?
  • Options

Just said basically the same to my colleague, he'll probably talk about bins.
    Or affordable housing, as they'll be reclassified as before the next election...
  • Options

FFS...Labour have put up Richard Burgon on Politics Live today.

There is an empty chair at the moment. The best thing Labour can hope for is that it stays empty.
    The empty chair would unquestionably make a more effective contribution. Still, if you are watching, you can play Burgon Bingo

" attack on the working classes"

"can't be seen in isolation"

"wider struggle"

• Options
    Simon Coveney, Tánaiste, Minister for Foreign Affairs and brother to the CEO of Greencore, wrote an opinion piece, published in the Irish Times today, highlighting how current events are moving preparations for no deal forward.
  • Options

Missed It said:

It is a scandal that we cannot access this information under Freedom of Information Law, when the EU institutions are subject to it. You can ask such questions here (AsktheEU). That website is a sister of WhatDoTheyKnow.com I liked it, and the activisits involved, so much that I joined them and set up the Czech version. As you can read here, the fight to get this changed is being led by journalists, ably supported by the author of that article, Helen Darbishire, a Madrid based Brit. It is my privilege to know Helen, and even more so to have met Heather Brooke, the British based American freelance journalist who used FOI to uncover the UK scandal (I hope you didn't think it was the Telegraph, who just nicked her scoop).

I wrote "half a point" because as this recent Telegraph article shows, the Commons still has not learnt its lesson, and expense fiddling requires constant work by journalists.

So I am afraid your take on the issue is both typically tribal and also a bit complacent.

Shall I take it that expenses apart, you think Bernard Jenkin is a good MP who should be at the forefront of re-shaping the UK's future at this time?
    Did you read that back to yourself before you posted it or are you happy to sound that condescending and patronising?

• Options
    On PMQs the only response May has to Jeremy Corbyn is flicking the metaphorical 'V's and giving the metaphorical finger, and saying his policies are crap and 'f*ck you' as her response.
    More or less.
    When repeatedly asked for an immediate (before Christmas) vote on her deal her response is a metaphorical 'bollocks will I'.
    Even I feel embarrassed for her.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Although I'm not a Corbyn supporter & wouldn't vote Labour in a million years, I thought he was bloody brilliant earlier. Pure anger at TM.........and I thought that would have been THE time to go for a no confidence vote in HER government. No idea of how its done but I would have just said that they had no confidence & walked out.

Bloody shambles (TM that is)

Expert legal mind golfaddick can handle the fine print of the good Friday agreement and immigration law but can’t get his head round a call of no confidence.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

On PMQs the only response May has to Jeremy Corbyn is flicking the metaphorical 'V's and giving the metaphorical finger, and saying his policies are crap and 'f*ck you' as her response.
    More or less.
    When repeatedly asked for an immediate (before Christmas) vote on her deal her response is a metaphorical 'bollocks will I'.
    Even I feel embarrassed for her.

She's dodging the questions and just constantly repeating "Labour are shit" or "The best way to avoid no deal is to have a good deal which is what I have"

The best way to avoid no deal is to not carry out Brexit if the people or Parliament don't rate your deal...
  • Options

Although I'm not a Corbyn supporter & wouldn't vote Labour in a million years, I thought he was bloody brilliant earlier. Pure anger at TM.........and I thought that would have been THE time to go for a no confidence vote in HER government. No idea of how its done but I would have just said that they had no confidence & walked out.

Bloody shambles (TM that is)

I suspect we might see it after tonight's vote now -probably tomorrow - it looks like May will win the leadership vote. What the reaction to that will be is hard to tell.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Missed It said:

Did you read that back to yourself before you posted it or are you happy to sound that condescending and patronising?

What facts that I presented do you dispute, and if "none" what would I have left out or said differently?

For 25 years or more I've been reading tribal little Engländer shit about Europe. Usually originating from nutjobs like Jenkin and Bill Cash , and then recycled by
    citizens who appeared to be Very Angry, and demanded to be Listened To. So I did listen. I would then try to politely point out any factual discrepancies. It was fine while Jenkin Cash and co were on the fringes. They are in the driving seat now. As a result, being Very Angry is not something that Brexit or EUsceptic people have an exclusive right to. If you don't like my post, try and bring some facts to counter the information I have provided for all readers of this thread.
  • Options

Simon Coveney, Tánaiste, Minister for Foreign Affairs and brother to the CEO of Greencore, wrote an opinion piece, published in the Irish Times today, highlighting how current events are moving preparations for no deal forward.

Ludicrous concept! You mean to say that there's a government which not only has plans but is actually recruiting people as well as offering grants to business to support preparations?

That will never catch on!
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Just a quick search of - "UKIP MEP expenses fraud" , throws up plenty of guilty names
  • Options

Missed It said:

Missed It said:

What facts that I presented do you dispute, and if "none" what would I have left out or said differently?

For 25 years or more I've been reading tribal little Engländer shit about Europe. Usually originating from nutjobs like Jenkin and Bill Cash , and then recycled by
    citizens who appeared to be Very Angry, and demanded to be Listened To. So I did listen. I would then try to politely point out any factual discrepancies. It was fine while Jenkin Cash and co were on the fringes. They are in the driving seat now. As a result, being Very Angry is not something that Brexit or EUsceptic people have an exclusive right to. If you don't like my post, try and bring some facts to counter the information I have provided for all readers of this thread.

Yes, journalists have to lead the fight against corruption as the authorities always seem loath to address it themselves. Too bad that the journalists have had one of ECJ courts reject their freedom of information challenge and ruled that MEPs expenses can carry on being a secret. Business as usual.
  • Options

Missed It said:

Just a quick search of - "UKIP MEP expenses fraud" , throws up plenty of guilty names
    Indeed, why just pick on Jenkin when everybody's at it, all the way across Europe.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!