Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Blimey, the EU's to blame for porky coppers now n'all...

:-)
  • I've got one word for the French & their fishing rights....

Tough.

We leave the EU & so can make up our own rules & laws. They don't get to say what we do in our waters.

They may well say something similar in response.

There is the slight problem that people in the UK do not, on the whole, eat the fish that is caught in UK waters.

Currently, UK trawlers can land fish at any EU fishing port, it is unlikely that that would be allowed if the UK closes its waters to others (including cases where there is an established custom that would, under Common Law, normally preserve access rights, I won't even consider the circumstances where there are already agreements of long-standing, as between the Danes and the UK).

And, the major profits in aquaculture are to be made in the processing of the fish that is landed.

If, as appears the case, aquaculture is not included in the Withdrawal Agreement, the "tough" approach could tuirn out to be a double-edged sword.

Tariffs on value added/processed fish products are higher, which would reduce the attractiveness of processing fish for export to the EU27 in the UK, with obvious knock-on effects to the shore-based industry. At the same time, the additional time taken between fish being landed in the UK and arriving at a continental processing site (due to the need to transport via BIPs) would be likely to reduce the price that is paid on the quayside (as those purchasing would wish to mitigate, as far as possible, the potential for losses due to delays in transit).

An agreement between the parties would help avoid problems for both sides, and would involve some form of compromise, which would suggest that the "tough" approach would prove counter-productive.

Tough.

We leave the EU & so can make up our own rules & laws. They don't get to say what we do in our waters.

There is the slight problem that people in the UK do not, on the whole, eat the fish that is caught in UK waters.

Currently, UK trawlers can land fish at any EU fishing port, it is unlikely that that would be allowed if the UK closes its waters to others (including cases where there is an established custom that would, under Common Law, normally preserve access rights, I won't even consider the circumstances where there are already agreements of long-standing, as between the Danes and the UK).

And, the major profits in aquaculture are to be made in the processing of the fish that is landed.

If, as appears the case, aquaculture is not included in the Withdrawal Agreement, the "tough" approach could tuirn out to be a double-edged sword.

Tariffs on value added/processed fish products are higher, which would reduce the attractiveness of processing fish for export to the EU27 in the UK, with obvious knock-on effects to the shore-based industry. At the same time, the additional time taken between fish being landed in the UK and arriving at a continental processing site (due to the need to transport via BIPs) would be likely to reduce the price that is paid on the quayside (as those purchasing would wish to mitigate, as far as possible, the potential for losses due to delays in transit).

An agreement between the parties would help avoid problems for both sides, and would involve some form of compromise, which would suggest that the "tough" approach would prove counter-productive.
    Stop bringing facts into it
  • Southbank said:

se9addick said:

bobmunro said:

I've got one word for the French & their fishing rights....

Tough.

I really don't get all the fuss about something that accounts for less than half of one percent of UK GDP. Who gives a toss about the city or manufacturing as long as we can take back control of our territorial waters, so we alone can over-fish the depleting stocks.

Rule Britannia!
    “Territorial waters” is one of those terms that sounds really compelling though, like “sovereignty” or “control of our borders”. I would imagine that the idea that there can be some corner of the sea that will be forever British is really exciting for Brexiteers.
    Once again, contempt for the fishermen who supported Brexit. Is your job as dangerous as their's, I wonder?
    I have to cross the road at Ludgate Circus to get to my office everyday so probably.

Tough.

This is true. In Italy they have a fantastic selection of fish they sell/eat and it surprised me that a lot I had not seen on sale here was caught in our waters. We are not the most adventurous cod and chips merchants - very nice though that is.
  • You remember how I was going on about the island that was "defended" by a trawler with a machine gun...

seems lessons haven't been learnt

Less than 130 days to go. Stay safe, y'all
    Still got a better Navy than the Czech Republic.

Ahoy
    Smartarse... :-)

Stationed in Hamburg, AFAIK.

As usual, the really important matters in Czech life are properly addressed:

"An interesting feature of the national naval presence in the Czech Republic is its structural composition of the special Office of the Beer Naval Support, which is engaged in the purchase, quality control and delivery of the famous Czech beer on combat ships, vessels and coastal side. Just this Office has been supporting in a proper state of all shipboard beer pipelines available on the Czech Navy ships."

And it's "Ahoj". We are not effing pirates.
  • Can't be arsed to read over 170 posts since my last visit.

All I will say is that TM is a,liar & can't be trusted to run a whelk stall. For over 2 years she has repeatedly stated that No Deal is better than a bad deal. Now, when she finally has a deal that is worse than we already have....and pisses all over her "red lines"....all we hear is that it's "this deal or nothing".

Well.......you can piss off & the the rest of the government with you. There will be so much arm twisting, cajoling & bribing over the next 2 weeks it will make Dubai's winning of hosting the 2022 WC look kosher. I expect her deal to get through Parliament as 300 odd Tory MP's will vote for their own future's & not for what the public voted for.

Shame on the lot of them.

I agree with you golfie. However. Did you expect us to get a deal as good as the one we currently have as members ? It would be impossible and thats the knub of the whole brexit lie. How many people fell for it and you have to ask just how gullible were they.

No....I wasn't expecting to get a better deal than the one we have initially or may be not even as good as what we have in terms of trade etc. But eventually, once we un-tie ourselves from the EU & find our feet then I believe the UK can thrive & prosper.

I've been divorced twice & in neither cases did I come out of the marriages better off financially or even on par. But you don't stay married just because it's easier not to get divorced. For me financially it has been a long hard struggle over the past 8 years....but I'm a lot better off now than I was on the day my decri absolute came through.
    Possibly the most ridiculous analogy I have ever seen. Unless you forced about 50% of other happily married people to get divorced at the same time?

You told us pages back that you dropped a bollock by voting leave. Why do you keep on coming back with more mad ideas?
    Because he is mad?
  • Rob7Lee said:

Top 1% starts at about £130k, the elite is probably top 0.1% which itself is less than £1m

FFS I'm a saarrf lonnon council house boy - I aint no elite!
  • Sponsored links:

• Southbank said:

If you want to find the elites, you need to look in the top 1%, not well paid people like university lecturers doing well for themselves. And they are not ALL evil masterminds, just the people all the money is flowing to. People do well out of them, and they represent them - you get more financial benefits from supporting extremely rich people than you do supporting extremely poor people.

The elites go way beyond the rich and super rich. Parliament makes our laws, the civil service and the judges and lawyers carry them out. That gives them all an elite position in society.

Lecturers and teachers pass on knowledge with their own emphasis and interpretations. This gives them purchase on intellectual life, as it does media people.

I would class all of these people as elites because they exercise more control over society than ordinary people.

They are all heavily pro-EU. Many of them benefit directly from the EU and many more feel more comfortable with their counterparts in Berlin or Paris than they do with ordinary people here. That is just a fact I am afraid. I am also part of that group because of my education and profession. I mix socially with them and over the past two years I have found it almost impossible to do so. They talk of Leavers, by which they mainly mean the white working class, with contempt. In private they talk of 'morons', 'lowlifes', 'racist scum', terms which are effectively racist. Bear in mind that most of these elites are 'anti-racist' etc, but use terms for Leavers which are as racist as any BNP member.

My family are entirely white working class, apart from me. I take it personally when I hear their kind being insulted and abused.
    Teachers if they are any good do not pass on knowledge, but help their students along the road towards their own knowledge.
    Done well teachers are indeed an elite group and their skills are often under estimated, but I wouldn't say for the reasons you give.
    If lecturers and teachers mainly voted remain it suggests to me that they value the virtue of collaboration which is often a feature of their work.
  • It appears that agreement (compromise, even, who would have thought?) has been achieved on a form of words for the political declaration today.

Hands up who thinks that our fine, upstanding political representatives in Westminster will be able to see the big picture and agree something in the next few weeks....

IMHO, other than remaining in the EU, I think we are looking at the least bad option available, given the red lines laid down prior to invoking Article 50.
  • Those Brexit negotiations in full:

Cameron: 'Please Mrs Merkel, can we have some relief on free movement or anti-EU forces will keep growing in the UK
    Merkel: No

Barnier: 'How should we negotiate with the UK'
    Mrs Merkel: 'F**k them'

Brexiters: 'This is what we would like'
    May: 'No'

May: 'We will give you everything you want if you can at least pretend we are leaving EU control'
    Barnier: 'No'

Barnier to EU 27: 'We have f**cked them'
    EU 27: 'Not enough for our liking'

May to British people: 'We have been f**cked'
    British people:' Yes we have been f**cked'

• Psst... claiming Merkel is in control of the EU is a far-right trope capitalising on nationalists' inability to discern the difference between modern day Germany and Nazi Germany.
  • British people.
    "We have f**ked ourselves in a sovereign way, without any trouble from the EU at all, we took control before we 'take back control''.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2018
    Everybody would jump about prior to a second vote, but they would find it hard afterwards. It would reflect the will of the people, and I wouldn't rule out Brexit winning. That is why how you get to it is important. The way we are going is getting there in the right way. As much blame as possible needs to be shifted to the hard nosed Brexiters!
  • Southbank said:

If you want to find the elites, you need to look in the top 1%, not well paid people like university lecturers doing well for themselves. And they are not ALL evil masterminds, just the people all the money is flowing to. People do well out of them, and they represent them - you get more financial benefits from supporting extremely rich people than you do supporting extremely poor people.

The elites go way beyond the rich and super rich. Parliament makes our laws, the civil service and the judges and lawyers carry them out. That gives them all an elite position in society.

Lecturers and teachers pass on knowledge with their own emphasis and interpretations. This gives them purchase on intellectual life, as it does media people.

I would class all of these people as elites because they exercise more control over society than ordinary people.

They are all heavily pro-EU. Many of them benefit directly from the EU and many more feel more comfortable with their counterparts in Berlin or Paris than they do with ordinary people here. That is just a fact I am afraid. I am also part of that group because of my education and profession. I mix socially with them and over the past two years I have found it almost impossible to do so. They talk of Leavers, by which they mainly mean the white working class, with contempt. In private they talk of 'morons', 'lowlifes', 'racist scum', terms which are effectively racist. Bear in mind that most of these elites are 'anti-racist' etc, but use terms for Leavers which are as racist as any BNP member.

My family are entirely white working class, apart from me. I take it personally when I hear their kind being insulted and abused.
    Doesn't make sense to me. You say these "elites" are all heavily pro-EU, then say that you are also part of this group even though you are clearly on the leave side? Pretty sure JRM, Boris, Farage, the right-wing press all fall under your definition too.
  • If somebody paid you to punch them in the face in a couple of years time, what is the first thing you would do if your were half decent when the time came. I would suggest you might check that they still wished to be punched in the face. That's how I see the second vote!
  • Wasn't there another poster on here call Fiish who was a Tory at the election before last?
  • That's odd, you've chosen the same username as a chap who liked Labour back then
  • Wasn't there another poster on here call Fiish who was a Tory at the election before last?

Voted Tory. Not a Tory. Big difference.
  • 'There is the slight problem that people in the UK do not
    on the whole, eat the fish that is caught in UK waters'.

Could you please inform me in my ignorance which fish
    are mainly caught in British waters?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!