Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Fiiish said:

cafcpolo said:

Fiiish said:

Cameron and Osborne made less than helpful comments then both resigned. They were not part of any official Remain campaign.

Brilliant. The Prime Minister and The Chancellor who headed the campaign to Remain, were not part of the campaign.
    Even Trump wouldn't come out with that.
    Officially they weren't, so he's right but he also bangs on about people believing Farage who was not officially part of the Leave campaign. Which basically makes his argument on that front null and void. Unless the rose tinted glasses are that strong, it's silly when a remainer says it but damn lies when it's a leaver.
    Farage worked with both the official Leave campaign and was heavily involved with the other affiliated campaigns such as Leave.EU. So no it doesn't make my argument null and void.
    So Cameron didn't work with Britain Stronger In Europe?

• Fiiish said:

Southbank said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Cameron and Osborne made less than helpful comments then both resigned. They were not part of any official Remain campaign.

Brilliant. The Prime Minister and The Chancellor who headed the campaign to Remain, were not part of the campaign.
    They had no affiliation with the official Remain campaign. Most members of the government stayed at arm's length to the official Remain campaigning.
    Nobody campaigned for Remain. That is why they lost.
    Apart from President Obama, all EU leaders, most MPs, the CBI, the IMF, the Bank of England, the Prime Minister, the leader of the opposition, the City of London, most Tory MPs,most university lecturers, most lawyers, most teachers, the Labour Party, the SNP, the Liberals.(none of tbe above apparently constitute the elite by the way)

If only Remain had had some heavyweights behind it.
    Once again a profoundly dense response.
    But is it true?
  • You remember how I was going on about the island that was "defended" by a trawler with a machine gun...

seems lessons haven't been learnt

Less than 130 days to go. Stay safe, y'all
    Still got a better Navy than the Czech Republic.

Ahoy
  • Southbank said:

Fiiish said:

Ah the old 'all the elites want us to stay in the EU' lie rears its head again.

You've been away awhile. It rears its head more often than Farage rears his sweating mug on Question Time. We went to a lot of effort to get him to define who 'the elites' are. You can imagine how that went....
    https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/06/16/most-working-british-higher-education-oppose-brexit

If you want me to find the same story I can, for every profession, plus MPs, the CBI, etc etc
    If you want to deny that these are not elites then there is no point in the discussion.
    Not what I would call an elite. I don't think uni lecturers run the country.

Rees-Mogg is from an elite. Landed, old money, Eton. Was his father editor of the Times?

Boris Johnson - Elite, Eton, Oxford, Telegraph, MP

Leuth - Elite Public School, upper class privilege, uses words like poppyjay
    Oh FFS if you are going to wind up the man at least get the spelling right. It is popinjay.

That cost you a (genuine non chippy LOL)
  • McBobbin said:

I don't live next door to a council estate, but I do live between an Armenian and a couple of Leyton Orient season ticket holders. I'm still the elite though.

Because I'm soooo smooth

Is Armenia east enough to be considered the Orient?

Or could it be Leyton Caucasus.
  • Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

They had no affiliation with the official Remain campaign. Most members of the government stayed at arm's length to the official Remain campaigning.
    They may have had no affiliation with the official Remain campaign, but Cameron was on many/most of the political TV debates campaigning for Remain and his government put a leaflet through the letterbox of everyone, strongly recommending Remain.

You can spin and say what you like, but the PM & The Chancellor were clearly a massive part of the Remain campaign, whether "official" or otherwise.
  • cafcpolo said:

Fiiish said:

cafcpolo said:

Fiiish said:

Officially they weren't, so he's right but he also bangs on about people believing Farage who was not officially part of the Leave campaign. Which basically makes his argument on that front null and void. Unless the rose tinted glasses are that strong, it's silly when a remainer says it but damn lies when it's a leaver.
    Farage worked with both the official Leave campaign and was heavily involved with the other affiliated campaigns such as Leave.EU. So no it doesn't make my argument null and void.
    So Cameron didn't work with Britain Stronger In Europe?

He couldn't have Fiish said so.
  • Leuth said:

We can just install huge guns around our entire coastline and blast the invading scum to high heaven. It'll be fun, spectacular and deeply arousing. Yours, a committed Brexiteer

Rees Mogg is readying the bows and arrows and the British army are working on their formations in the Phalanx as we speak. Bernard Cornwell has been brought in as a consultant
  • edited November 2018
    You seem to be missing the original point which was just because Osborne said one prediction doesn't mean the entire Remain campaign was "Project Fear", and neither he nor the PM were central parts of the campaign or even officially associated with them.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2018
    Rothko said:

Leave voters were essentially promised three things

- less foreigners
    - More money for public services
    - No hit to the economy and it'll be fine

None of those are likely, and still you get cranks like Dan Hannan spouting this shit

This utter onanist Hannan blocked me on twitter for calling him an utter onanist. I thought it would hit home bearing in mind he such a pompous lying w*nker.
  • Finally an answer to all our populist or not queries.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2018/nov/21/how-populist-are-you-quiz

It is completely scientifically accurate in how it calculates how populist you are.
  • Came out as most like Barack Obama - happy with that.....
  • Fiiish said:

You seem to be missing the original point which was just because Osborne said one prediction doesn't mean the entire Remain campaign was "Project Fear", and neither he nor the PM were central parts of the campaign or even officially associated with them.

I'll agree to disagree. I would like to think that most people who took an interest in the referendum campaign, clearly saw David Cameron on the live TV's debates, which for me undoubtedly made him a central part of the campaign.
  • I've got one word for the French & their fishing rights....

Tough.

We leave the EU & so can make up our own rules & laws. They don't get to say what we do in our waters.
  • I've got one word for the French & their fishing rights....

Tough.

We leave the EU & so can make up our own rules & laws. They don't get to say what we do in our waters.

Agree, but we should be trading access to our waters for something(s) that would be of benefit to more productive parts of our economy (freedom of financial services for instance).

The governments negotiation strategy has been an absolute shambles and this is another example of that.
  • edited November 2018
    se9addick said:

bobmunro said:

I've got one word for the French & their fishing rights....

Tough.

I really don't get all the fuss about something that accounts for less than half of one percent of UK GDP. Who gives a toss about the city or manufacturing as long as we can take back control of our territorial waters, so we alone can over-fish the depleting stocks.

Rule Britannia!
    “Territorial waters” is one of those terms that sounds really compelling though, like “sovereignty” or “control of our borders”. I would imagine that the idea that there can be some corner of the sea that will be forever British is really exciting for Brexiteers.
    You are absolutely right se9. I think as a tribute to Brexit we should reintroduce the missing third verse to Parry's Jerusalem:

And did those feet in ancient time
    Wade upon England's shores so yellow?
    And was the holy Lamb of God
    On England's wavy coastline seen?
    And did the countenance divine
    Shine forth upon our murky waters?
    And was Jerusalem sailed here
    Among those dark Satanic Trawlers?

• Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

bobmunro said:

Tough.

I really don't get all the fuss about something that accounts for less than half of one percent of UK GDP. Who gives a toss about the city or manufacturing as long as we can take back control of our territorial waters, so we alone can over-fish the depleting stocks.

Rule Britannia!
    “Territorial waters” is one of those terms that sounds really compelling though, like “sovereignty” or “control of our borders”. I would imagine that the idea that there can be some corner of the sea that will be forever British is really exciting for Brexiteers.
    Once again, contempt for the fishermen who supported Brexit. Is your job as dangerous as their's, I wonder?
  • bobmunro said:

Southbank said:

se9addick said:

bobmunro said:

Tough.

Rule Britannia!
    Once again, contempt for the fishermen who supported Brexit. Is your job as dangerous as their's, I wonder?
    It isn't contempt for the fishermen, it is contempt for politicians who use it as a dog whistle.
    So you are in favour of UK territorial rights then?
  • If you want to find the elites, you need to look in the top 1%, not well paid people like university lecturers doing well for themselves. And they are not ALL evil masterminds, just the people all the money is flowing to. People do well out of them, and they represent them - you get more financial benefits from supporting extremely rich people than you do supporting extremely poor people.
  • Top 1% starts at about £130k, the elite is probably top 0.1% which itself is less than £1m
  • Southbank said:

bobmunro said:

Southbank said:

se9addick said:

bobmunro said:

Tough.

Rule Britannia!
    It isn't contempt for the fishermen, it is contempt for politicians who use it as a dog whistle.
    So you are in favour of UK territorial rights then?
    https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-pinching-our-fish/

"The UK’s share of the overall EU fishing catch grew between 2004 and 2014. In 2004 the UK had the fourth largest catch of any EU country at 652,000 tonnes, by 2014 this had grown to 752,000 tonnes and the second largest catch of any country in the EU.
    The UK has recently promoted its work to help secure an increase in the Total Allowable Catches of some key fish stocks.
    This would suggest that within the EU the UK is improving its position."

Maybe even better if we'd had someone representing our interests on the fisheries committee https://www.ft.com/content/85563e82-8f44-11e3-be85-00144feab7de
  • edited November 2018
    It is about £140k - but agree, there is a super rich that has most of the money as a percentage within that. I was correcting the notion that it was 5%.
  • edited November 2018
    Wrong thread!
  • I suspect there are some women police officers who are fitter than some men police officers.
  • I suspect there are some women police officers who are fitter than some men police officers.

I guess it's down to personal tastes
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!