Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    Southbank said:

Southbank said:

There are no longer 17.4 million living Brexit voters. The number now is barely 16 million.

Wow, you really asked them all? That is dedication above and beyond-although I must have been out when you came round.
    I think the key word was "living" but there is also an assumption that those who've died since 2016 where all leavers and all those previously too young to vote are remainers.
    Not just an assumption, Henry, but a barely concealed celebration. This ghoulish aspect of Remain, whether it is correct or not and like you I doubt it, is one of the most disgraceful parts of the overall Remain argument.
    I don't think you understand the facts I am presenting to you. Obviously actuarial data calculations is another part of the “experty” world Brexit voters have decided to ignore.
  • Options

Southbank said:

There are no longer 17.4 million living Brexit voters. The number now is barely 16 million.

Wow, you really asked them all? That is dedication above and beyond-although I must have been out when you came round.
    It is a statistical fact. Even moronic Brexit voters can't question actuarial mortality calculations.
    Your original assertion though can’t be proven. 1.74 million might have died but how many of those voted. We’re they all brexiters - No. Although stats would indicate that brexiters would be more affected in the age group that have indeed died.

Don’t understand your point. The study concluded that 450,000 Leavers are dying each year and 150,000 Remainers.
    It's an estimate, admittedly based on stats. It's not fact
    Based on actuarial science. Given a data set that large with detailed age breakdown it is virtually a fact.
  • Options

Southbank said:

It is a statistical fact. Even moronic Brexit voters can't question actuarial mortality calculations.
    Your original assertion though can’t be proven. 1.74 million might have died but how many of those voted. We’re they all brexiters - No. Although stats would indicate that brexiters would be more affected in the age group that have indeed died.

Don’t understand your point. The study concluded that 450,000 Leavers are dying each year and 150,000 Remainers.
    Do you have a link?

ONS reports 533,253 deaths in 2017 and 525,048 in 2016.
  • Options
    I think the media are not covering themselves in glory with their supportive treatment of May at the moment. I'm sure Brexiters and Remainers are not happy that she is being portrayed as some sort of heroine!
  • Options

Southbank said:

Based on actuarial science. Given a data set that large with detailed age breakdown it is virtually a fact.
    Virtually is not actually as you know.

It was a valid statistical estimate to raise but you worded it poorly, making it seem a callous gloating remark rather than a useful contribution to the debate.
  • Options

Southbank said:

You’re right I didn’t fully understand your post giving those figures. It would have been more helpful if you had said a study has concluded because the bald figures don’t show that there have been closer to 2.6 million that have died since the referendum ? Assuming 33% of the opoulation didn’t vote ?
  • Options

Well there s a great way to find out. And if people want to leave, they still can. How fair is that?

Well if/when BINO is agreed I would like another referendum so that I can go out and campaign again for Leave. But I also doubt that Leave would be on the ballot paper.
  • Options
    I think it would have to be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Southbank said:

Well there s a great way to find out. And if people want to leave, they still can. How fair is that?

Well if/when BINO is agreed I would like another referendum so that I can go out and campaign again for Leave. But I also doubt that Leave would be on the ballot paper.
    Project fear

• Options
    stonemuse said:

Southbank said:

Do you have a link?

Worth also pointing out that if 28% didn’t vote, your figures don’t add up.
  • Options

Southbank said:

It was a valid statistical estimate to raise but you worded it poorly, making it seem a callous gloating remark rather than a useful contribution to the debate.
    Which sequence of words do you consider “worded poorly”? And which sequence of words led you to conclude I was gloating? I am surprised you did not conclude I was being anti Semitic as well.
  • Options
    Weren't you? I thought you were!
  • Options

Southbank said:

Project fear

Well, I have held 2 firm beliefs since 4 am on the morning of the Referendum.
    One, that the British elites would never allow us to leave the EU, because they are so comfortably integrated into it and benefit directly or indirectly from their relationship to it.
    Two, that they would never again let the people make that decision again.

So let us see.
  • Options
    But if there is another referendum, they will be letting them make that decision again, won't they?
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Southbank said:

Project fear

Well, I have held 2 firm beliefs since 4 am on the morning of the Referendum.
    One, that the British elites would never allow us to leave the EU, because they are so comfortably integrated into it and benefit directly or indirectly from their relationship to it.
    Two, that they would never let the people make that decision again.

So let us see.
    In fact it turns out that many of them would rather be in an effective colony of the EU than actually leave, so dependent they have become on it.
  • Options
    We all benefit directly from it. That's the folly.
  • Options
    Here is another link. Slightly different figures but making the same incontrovertible fact that Brexit voters are dying more quickly than Remain voters. Would be interested to know if the words used in this article suggest “callous gloating” as opposed to simple statement of facts.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-leave-eu-remain-vote-support-against-poll-uk-europe-final-say-yougov-second-referendum-peter-a8541971.html
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Southbank said:

Do you have a link?

Worth also pointing out that if 28% didn’t vote, your figures don’t add up.
    They are not my figures.
  • Options

Here is another link. Slightly different figures but making the same incontrovertible fact that Brexit voters are dying more quickly than Remain voters. Would be interested to know if the words used in this article suggest “callous gloating” as opposed to simple statement of facts.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-leave-eu-remain-vote-support-against-poll-uk-europe-final-say-yougov-second-referendum-peter-a8541971.html

I don’t think anyone is denying the trend. I was merely pointing out that your original stated figures do not match in any way with the official ONS stats.
  • Options
    At the next referendum, Remain should try to compete with the NHS advert and the bus slogan. My advice would be, 'It is proven you will die more quickly if you are a Brexit voter!'
  • Options

Southbank said:

Which sequence of words do you consider “worded poorly”? And which sequence of words led you to conclude I was gloating? I am surprised you did not conclude I was being anti Semitic as well.
    I said "making it seem". That was the way Southbank read it so undermining your point

Are you an anti-Semite? I know Corbyn is but I've no idea if you are.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    stonemuse said:

Southbank said:

I think the key word was "living" but there is also an assumption that those who've died since 2016 where all leavers and all those previously too young to vote are remainers.
    “The new study was carried out by data analysis experts Focaldata. It was based on two YouGov polls that together surveyed more than 15,000 people.

In total, it concluded that 2.6 million Leave voters have switched their support to Remain, while 970,000 have moved the other way – a net gain for the pro-EU side of 1.6 million.

The study found that Labour voters accounted for 1.4 million of the 1.6 million switchers to Remain, significantly outnumbering the 837,000 Tory voters who switched the other way.“
    I can't find which two Yougov polls your quote refers to - but the quote itself is from the Independent of September 3rd:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-referendum-millions-leave-voters-best-for-britain-no-deal-theresa-may-conservative-government-a8521346.html

However, those two Yougov polls will be part of the 'What UK Thinks'' Poll Tracker on the same question since the 2016 referendum - "If there was another referendum on Britain’s membership of the EU, how would you vote?" - that I've posted before:

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-a-second-eu-referendum-were-held-today-how-would-you-vote/

But there seems to be a fairly serious problem with many of the polls that are listed - including the most recent Yougov poll of November 15th which reported 46% 'Remain', 40% 'Leave', and 14% 'Don't know/undecided'.

And the problem is that (as I've posted before) an important feature of the 2016 referendum was that the turnout (72.2%) was the highest in a UK national poll since 1992 (higher than the 66.4% in the 2015 and 69% in the 2017 General Elections); but that also means that despite that being a very high turnout nevertheless around 28% of registered voters did not vote.

Yet the majority of polls currently and going back to just after the 2016 vote, like the latest Yougov poll, report percentages for 'Don't know/undecided' at well under 20%; which for many of them also includes 'won't vote' (including Yougov); as shown on this 'notes' page:

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-a-second-eu-referendum-were-held-today-how-would-you-vote/?notes

If this was just a recent feature of these polls it might be possible to be optimistic and conclude that we might be on course for a record breaking high turnout in any second referendum, but as it seems to have been a feature of these polls since 2016, it may simply be that having given their opinion to a pollster a significant number of people also say they intend to vote that way but when it comes to it don't bother voting?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Southbank said:

Do you have a link?

Those figures are for England and Wales only.
  • Options

stonemuse said:

Southbank said:

Do you have a link?

Must be an enormous amount of deaths in Scotland and N. Ireland in order for the figures you originally stated to stack up.
  • Options
    Ah the old 'all the elites want us to stay in the EU' lie rears its head again.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

Southbank said:

Do you have a link?

Must be an enormous amount of deaths in Scotland and N. Ireland in order for the figures you originally stated to stack up.
    There were 56,768 deaths in Scotland in 2016.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!