Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    It's OK, we can close the thread now.
    Everything is going to be fine.
    FACT.
    https://moneyweek.com/what-thatchers-favourite-economist-thinks-about-brexit/
  • Options
    For 'reductions in regulatory red tape', read 'screwing workers and consumers'.
  • Options

FACT.
    https://moneyweek.com/what-thatchers-favourite-economist-thinks-about-brexit/

An economist called Patrick, yet no solution to the Irish border issue.
    Tsk.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Nepotism and corruption eh?
    The health minister Jeremy Hunt is fourth cousin to the Queen.
    His first cousin is Virginia Bottomley ex MP for South West Surrey and ex Tory Health Minister.
    Jeremy Hunt is MP for South West Surrey and, as mentioned, Tory health minister.
    Nothing dodgy there then.

Yes... But i would not stick up for them... I would say the same... You lot say negative things about Farage , Fox, and Johnson, don't like the last two, but dare anyone say anything about your bent god, Juncker you don't like it.
    Blimey you're really flogging this dead horse aren't you? Can somebody please give Chippy the argument on Junker he's looking for because so far not one poster has argued anything other than what's gone on is dodgy as...
    Well...lets hear no more comments then about Farage/Fox/Johnson then your Lordship...who put you in charge....see how long you can keep quiet.
    Are you ever capable of making an ounce of sense on this subject, Chips? You seem to respond to some argument going around inside your head rather than what is written...
  • Options

seth plum said:

His first cousin is Virginia Bottomley ex MP for South West Surrey and ex Tory Health Minister.
    Jeremy Hunt is MP for South West Surrey and, as mentioned, Tory health minister.

Yes... But i would not stick up for them... I would say the same... You lot say negative things about Farage , Fox, and Johnson, don't like the last two, but dare anyone say anything about your bent god, Juncker you don't like it.
    Blimey you're really flogging this dead horse aren't you? Can somebody please give Chippy the argument on Junker he's looking for because so far not one poster has argued anything other than what's gone on is dodgy as...
    Well...lets hear no more comments then about Farage/Fox/Johnson then your Lordship...who put you in charge....see how long you can keep quiet.
    Are you ever capable of making an ounce of sense on this subject, Chips? You seem to respond to some argument going around inside your head rather than what is written...
    Yes indeed its clear what was written, as usual it's your crowd that twists it around as being trivial. Dead horse subject though according to the governor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018
    It is completely awful, really not worth watching at all. In a few years, when you look up cringeworthy in the illustrated dictionary, it'll show Soft Border Patrol.

The Young Offenders, on the other hand, on BBC 1 NI just after it on a Friday night is genuinely funny.
  • Options
    From Saturday's Irish Times, about the border: https://irishtimes.com/opinion/cliff-taylor-after-brexit-the-danger-of-a-boris-border-1.3421216.

The newspapers today (Belfast Telegraph and Irish Times) are reporting that Leo Varadkar has poured cold water on the idea of pre-registering for people crossing the border (apparently favoured by some in the UK Government, which would require anyone who had not pre-registered to use certain border crossings - not exactly frictionless).
  • Options

seth plum said:

Yes indeed its clear what was written, as usual it's your crowd that twists it around as being trivial. Dead horse subject though according to the governor.
    Jeez. What is wrong with you? You appear to have the hump that no one wants to disagree with you and Southbank that this appointment stinks. Sorry about that.

Equally, it does not prove what you're suggesting, I think, that this is evidence that the whole of the EU is systematically corrupt and less democratic than the UK. It proves that nepotism and favouritism exists in some situations...just as I suspect it does in every single government around the globe, including our own...and certainly in any large business situation and, if we really want to take it to a ridiculous level, even in a sports environment.

Certain people in positions of power favouring others is not new nor exclusive to the EU. If you feel differently address that point by all means but suggesting that this means that the likes of Farage should get a free pass as a result of others "sticking up for" Junker is patently ridiculous.
    Nothing wrongs with me, and you. I didn't say anyone should get a free pass and if they have wronged they should get the appropriate stick, its the fact that one of yours gets singled out you want it close it down as quick as possible....your happy to debate the failings of the former for 20 months, but dare anyone for half a page complain about one of your luvvies you have a hissy fit.
  • Options
    Stig said:

I stumbled across this by accident and it really reinforced for me what a good job the EU does in looking after us: https://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/imports/want_to_import/fisheryproducts

Remainers, most notably @Bournemouth Addick , have been saying for a long time that consumer regulations are likely to be worse outside the EU. However, this is another issue where I've never felt that those supporting Brexit have properly understood what will be lost or how it could be adequately replaced. Who is going to monitor the Peruvian bivalve situation to ensure that we don't eat scallops laden with hepatitis? Who is going to maintain a bilateral agreement with Israel? Who is going to decide the certification requirements for marine gastropods?

It strikes me that there are two main possibilities with this. We could say that we we keep in line with the EU's regulations (after all, all our exports to Europe will have to comply anyway). That seems to be both the simplest and safest approach. If we do that though, the 'sovereignty' argument falls flat on its face. We'd be tying ourselves to a regulatory framework into which we would have precisely zero input.

Alternatively, we could scrap the EU standards and make things up as we go along. But who's going to do that? It's noticeable that it's very often the same people who want Brexit that complain about the size of the civil service. Could the current government (or any future one's for that matter) be trusted to take this seriously? Are MAFF fully geared up to taking on all this work? Or will it be cut back along with road repairs, library funding and social security as another part of the austerity agenda.

The EU is much maligned for being bureaucratic. Whilst I don't support bureaucracy for bureaucracy's sake, I do think that a very large part of what's labelled bureaucracy is actually very useful, detailed and thankless work. I applaud those in the EU (and HM Govt and local councils) who do so much to protect us. I only hope that in a couple of years time I can be quite so confident when I tuck in to a bowl of mussels that they won't be Turkish ones containing e-coli. Somehow I doubt it.

So the EU is a virtuous, benign rule maker stepping in to make rules for the good of all (unless in conflict with self interests)

MEPs voted against quantitative binding targets to reduce the catch of small young fish, which is essential to ensuring fish can reproduce. These decisions are also subject to further approval, so could be reversed, but given the vested fishing interests in many EU governments that may be unlikely.

Björn Stockhausen, fisheries policy officer at the Seas At Risk alliance, said: “The European parliament has weakened the measures that have granted protection to European seas for decades. These new diminished rules will undermine the health of marine ecosystems and the stability of fish stocks.”

It's easy to pass regulations that make it difficult for exporters to gain access to the EU market, stifle competition and hail them as advancing the interests of consumers. Try passing regulations that protect EU citizens or the environment where they conflict with the commercial self interests of one or more EU nations.

Why it is not obvious to everyone that the EU is run for the benefit of big business over the interests of citizens I struggle to understand.

Incidentally, the EU doesn't have expenses corruption scandals because, in the EU, theft from the taxpayer in the form of unsubstantiated expenses is legalised.
  • Options
    edited March 2018

Stig said:

I stumbled across this by accident and it really reinforced for me what a good job the EU does in looking after us: https://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/imports/want_to_import/fisheryproducts

Remainers, most notably @Bournemouth Addick , have been saying for a long time that consumer regulations are likely to be worse outside the EU. However, this is another issue where I've never felt that those supporting Brexit have properly understood what will be lost or how it could be adequately replaced. Who is going to monitor the Peruvian bivalve situation to ensure that we don't eat scallops laden with hepatitis? Who is going to maintain a bilateral agreement with Israel? Who is going to decide the certification requirements for marine gastropods?

It strikes me that there are two main possibilities with this. We could say that we we keep in line with the EU's regulations (after all, all our exports to Europe will have to comply anyway). That seems to be both the simplest and safest approach. If we do that though, the 'sovereignty' argument falls flat on its face. We'd be tying ourselves to a regulatory framework into which we would have precisely zero input.

Alternatively, we could scrap the EU standards and make things up as we go along. But who's going to do that? It's noticeable that it's very often the same people who want Brexit that complain about the size of the civil service. Could the current government (or any future one's for that matter) be trusted to take this seriously? Are MAFF fully geared up to taking on all this work? Or will it be cut back along with road repairs, library funding and social security as another part of the austerity agenda.

The EU is much maligned for being bureaucratic. Whilst I don't support bureaucracy for bureaucracy's sake, I do think that a very large part of what's labelled bureaucracy is actually very useful, detailed and thankless work. I applaud those in the EU (and HM Govt and local councils) who do so much to protect us. I only hope that in a couple of years time I can be quite so confident when I tuck in to a bowl of mussels that they won't be Turkish ones containing e-coli. Somehow I doubt it.

So the EU is a virtuous, benign rule maker stepping in to make rules for the good of all (unless in conflict with self interests)

MEPs voted against quantitative binding targets to reduce the catch of small young fish, which is essential to ensuring fish can reproduce. These decisions are also subject to further approval, so could be reversed, but given the vested fishing interests in many EU governments that may be unlikely.

Björn Stockhausen, fisheries policy officer at the Seas At Risk alliance, said: “The European parliament has weakened the measures that have granted protection to European seas for decades. These new diminished rules will undermine the health of marine ecosystems and the stability of fish stocks.”

It's easy to pass regulations that make it difficult for exporters to gain access to the EU market, stifle competition and hail them as advancing the interests of consumers. Try passing regulations that protect EU citizens or the environment where they conflict with the commercial self interests of one or more EU nations.

Why it is not obvious to everyone that the EU is run for the benefit of big business over the interests of citizens I struggle to understand.

Incidentally, the EU doesn't have expenses corruption scandals because, in the EU, theft from the taxpayer in the form of unsubstantiated expenses is legalised.
    Not sure where you quotes come from, but I have highlighted the important words there, Dips. Once again you may be right in acting in the interest of big business (though working time directives, maternity and holiday pay statutes and all the other EU stuff that the tories hate would indicate otherwise). It's clear that the Tories want to run the UK for the benefit of big business too, but many quitters who have a problem with the EU (supposedly) doing it seem to revel in the Tories doing the same?

Your last point is a valid one, and one that needs to be addressed by challenging it, from within.
  • Options

Stig said:

Ahem.

European Commission starts publishing travel expenses proactively

In other words, here we have exactly the same process as used by Heather Brooke to expose the UK MP expenses scandal, albeit in this case far more organised. Heather basically started the FOI activist movement, nowadays it is a global group (at various times financed partly by that terrible person George Soros). I was one of those making the FOI requests in my case re the Czech commissioner Vera Jourova.

So on this evidence it is no less or more transparent than the UK state. And by the heavens, you have seen at first hand how untransparent the UK State can be when it comes to FOI...
  • Options
    Same could be said of certain members of the House of Lords too...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

FACT.

If I reposted an article saying that immigrants should starve to death, would you find that amusingn, Vince?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Same could be said of certain members of the House of Lords too...

Very true but at least they must physically turn up and sign in to get their daily allowance. Unlike Mr Farage who seems to prefer, should we say, ‘working from home’.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

seth plum said:

Jeez. What is wrong with you? You appear to have the hump that no one wants to disagree with you and Southbank that this appointment stinks. Sorry about that.

Equally, it does not prove what you're suggesting, I think, that this is evidence that the whole of the EU is systematically corrupt and less democratic than the UK. It proves that nepotism and favouritism exists in some situations...just as I suspect it does in every single government around the globe, including our own...and certainly in any large business situation and, if we really want to take it to a ridiculous level, even in a sports environment.

Certain people in positions of power favouring others is not new nor exclusive to the EU. If you feel differently address that point by all means but suggesting that this means that the likes of Farage should get a free pass as a result of others "sticking up for" Junker is patently ridiculous.
    A strong Remainer argument is that the EU is not corrupt and undemocratic. Yet Selmayr tricks his way to the top, immediately pays off the Commissiners with a massive pay rise so they will not challenge him, then tells his civil servants that the Commissioners do not matter and only the bureaucracy does.

I have said all through that the Brexit leaders are useless, but you Remainers will not admit that the EU is corrupt and undemocratic, despite all the evidence. You are so servile to the bureacrats and technocrats who despise the democratic process, it really shocks me.

Did you read the link I posted in answer to Dippenhall above? I have met Helen Darbishire, who led that campaign. You tell her to her face that she is servile to the bureacrats and technocrats who despise the democratic process, and you'll be an ex-Brexiteer in a few seconds...
  • Options
    Southbank said:

seth plum said:

A strong Remainer argument is that the EU is not corrupt and undemocratic. Yet Selmayr tricks his way to the top, immediately pays off the Commissiners with a massive pay rise so they will not challenge him, then tells his civil servants that the Commissioners do not matter and only the bureaucracy does.

I have said all through that the Brexit leaders are useless, but you Remainers will not admit that the EU is corrupt and undemocratic, despite all the evidence. You are so servile to the bureacrats and technocrats who despise the democratic process, it really shocks me.
    What does not surprise me is that you do not bother to read what others, including me, have written in the last few hours. Let me help:

In response to: "Incidentally, the EU doesn't have expenses corruption scandals because, in the EU, theft from the taxpayer in the form of unsubstantiated expenses is legalised."

I wrote: "Your last point is a valid one, and one that needs to be addressed by challenging it, from within."

Chaz Hill wrote: "Certainly need to look into the way MEPs pay and allowances work. Just how Farage, in particular, and his fellow kippers get paid for doing fcuk all is a real scandal. He spends more time spouting shite on LBC and Question time than doing what he paid for by the Commission."

• Options

seth plum said:

Nothing wrongs with me, and you. I didn't say anyone should get a free pass and if they have wronged they should get the appropriate stick, its the fact that one of yours gets singled out you want it close it down as quick as possible....your happy to debate the failings of the former for 20 months, but dare anyone for half a page complain about one of your luvvies you have a hissy fit.
    Let me put this as simply as possible. NO-ONE-IS-ARGUING-WITH-YOU-THAT-JUNKER-IS-OUT-OF-ORDER. </blockquote

You missed the point completely as usual... BASICS.....
  • Options
    Southbank said:

seth plum said:

You may be flogging a dead horse there...
  • Options
    Southbank said:

seth plum said:

What were your feelings on Toby Young's appointment by Boris Johnson in similar circumstances?
  • Options

Southbank said:

seth plum said:

What does not surprise me is that you do not bother to read what others, including me, have written in the last few hours. Let me help:

In response to: "Incidentally, the EU doesn't have expenses corruption scandals because, in the EU, theft from the taxpayer in the form of unsubstantiated expenses is legalised."

I wrote: "Your last point is a valid one, and one that needs to be addressed by challenging it, from within."

Chaz Hill wrote: "Certainly need to look into the way MEPs pay and allowances work. Just how Farage, in particular, and his fellow kippers get paid for doing fcuk all is a real scandal. He spends more time spouting shite on LBC and Question time than doing what he paid for by the Commission."

Cos he. Is an MEP... Well done. Penny is dropping.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!