Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    Another major industry and employer that will be severely harmed by Brexit.

How Brexit could derail Britain's $7bn horse racing industry
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/07/sport/brexit-thoroughbred-breeding-horse-racing-intl/index.html
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Its been interesting to see what regulations the Leave Elite want to pull back, Rees Mogg wants the structures that stop counterfeit airplane parts being used, and stop contaminated baby feed stripped back, whilst Dan Hannan big idea is to remove the regulations around children's car seats which are proven to reduce fatalities.
  • Options

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/07/sport/brexit-thoroughbred-breeding-horse-racing-intl/index.html

On a similar vein of course virtually all animal movement law is community based. So there's likely to be changes to the pet passporting scheme post-Brexit too. Maybe a few Leavers may regret their vote if they end up leaving Nigel the bulldog behind when they go off with their caravan for the summer in the future.

Still, they'd be taking back control so that's ok...
  • Options

Thought this extract from the material supplied by our CL Irish correspondent chimed with my derided suggestion that a fudge would be found.

"From the Irish point of view it is important to look beyond and over this political crisis towards the wider endgame of the talks and where it will leave Ireland in a EU without the UK.
    A softer Brexit outcome preserving the customs union to keep the Irish border open is very much in the Irish interest but would require a willingness on the EU side to match British demands for some bespoke aspects in an agreement.
    Preparing a deal acceptable to both sides would need imaginative involvement by the Irish and British governments in bilateral talks to bring it to Brussels. That is a highly sensitive matter at this stage of the negotiations, but it should be discussed in anticipation of the British political crisis being resolved.

Greater goodwill
    If it is resolved soon and more clarity emerges than was apparent in yesterday’s May speech, would there be greater goodwill around the EU to seek a softer outcome that would suit Ireland? Arguably the answer is yes.
    "

And this was also an interesting observation contradicting what has been the mainstay of many posters theme of a pending outbreak of hostilities.

"On the other hand, it is true that free trade and the nature of the Border were not actually part of the Belfast Agreement. Joint EU membership was assumed in the negotiations in 1998 and made life in Border communities and the operation of cross-Border bodies easier. But customs barriers between North and South were not among the many issues and injustices that caused the Northern Ireland conflict to erupt.
    Armed conflict
    While customs posts may attract paramilitary activity, they are not likely, of themselves, to cause significant armed conflict to re-emerge. Indeed, the crushing of the more moderate parties and the inability of the DUP and Sinn Féin to get along is a much more significant threat to the peace process than customs and trading arrangements. A hard border would disrupt economic life in Northern Ireland greatly but would be less disruptive than a customs border in the Irish Sea.
    "

You will be unsurprised to hear @Dippenhall, that I do not believe that a fudge is possible, for the very simple reason that WTO rules would make such a fudge the default position for the external borders of both the EU and UK in trade terms, post Brexit.

There has to be a detailed agreement to define the relationship between the the two parties, in both of their interests.

As for the potential for violence, I have posted (several times) that the PSNI are convinced that the presence of any customs infrastructure on (or near) the border in Northern Ireland would be a target for dissidents. It's precisely what has happened before on the border, and could reasonably be expected to happen again (the post on the border at Aughnacloy was destroyed by a car bomb in the 1970s and the gutted remanats remained until about 10-15 years ago).

The key point about the GFA is that joint membership of the EU was assumed in terms of the relationship between the UK and Ireland - just like breathing is assumed for any of us on this forum...
    A border between two sovereign nations is a border, is a border, is a border. The current border is described as "soft" to characterise the fact that it requires no enforcement of restrictions of passage. Just because it might also mark the boundary of a customs union does not make it a "hard" border unless it also applies new restrictions of passage which need to be enforced at the border.

Those wanting to gain maximum political traction to scupper a bespoke arrangement around a customs border choose to define "hard" as being the imposition of controls as opposed to the imposition of restrictions of passage of people, goods and services. Such fanciful ideas as use of technology and registration procedures are dismissed as nonsense, in line with the pro EU stance of denying any responsibility for agreeing a new solution to a new situation or that existing rules and practices can be adapted without undermining the integrity of the EU.

Re violence, don't disagree with me take it up with the Irish Times journalist whose views I am quoting .
    By "use of technology and registration procedures". Do you mean an electronic registration gate on every road between Ni and ROI?
    Why?

That's as stupid as saying every vessel, every train and every person that crosses the UK international border must be tracked at the moment the border is crossed. Last time I checked Heathrow was miles from the border so was St Pancras yet millions of people and millions of tons of non EU goods have crossed our damn border without the authorities knowing - do you think we have a problem?

We have thousands of miles of sea borders - does every plane circle over the sea until everyone is logged before continuing over the border. Is every vessel entering our territorial waters stopped in mid Channel, Irish Sea or North Sea and checked to see where it is heading before being allowed to continue to a UK port? If that was happening with our sea borders then yes, we might have a problem if we wanted to apply that policy to our one and only land border, minuscule in comparison to our sea borders.

When every consignment from China is opened and every single appliance plugged in and safety checked, like some posters seem to think happens, then I guess we would have an issue. Until then we will continue to conduct sample checks and rely on bits of paper that say they comply with safety regulations, as we always have done.

The degree of harmonisation between the Republic and the UK on a whole range of issues will determine whether or not there is a border issue, hard or soft. If there are no material differences life will go on much as before. If the Republic doesn't want harmonisation in deference to an imaginary undermining of the integrity of the EU, it is the Republic's choice. Brexit forces a choice, it doesn't force a choice which will be a malign influence on Irish and UK citizens unless it is the EU's decision, supported or not by Ireland.

But hey- the problems need to be ramped up and stupid solutions mooted as the only option so the smug sniggering can be sustained.
    At the risk of appearing to one of many ganging up to pick on you, I just wonder if this is a good time to mention radar and transponders? Or things like Air Traffic Control, Port Authorities, or the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency?

All aircraft entering UK airspace are tracked to their destination and, as the link below shows, a similar process is applied to shipping in UK waters.

bognorregisbeach.co.uk/live-shipping-map-english-channel

So, it would appear that everyone is logged, and checked to see where it is heading. It might be slightly more difficult applying rules that work for a Maersk container ship or a cargo 747, that for a Transit van crossing the border near Lisnaskea.

By your rationale, the UK would seem to have a problem.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    Stig said:

By "use of technology and registration procedures". Do you mean an electronic registration gate on every road between Ni and ROI?

Why?

That's as stupid as saying every vessel, every train and every person that crosses the UK international border must be tracked at the moment the border is crossed...

Have I read this right? Are you really suggesting that it's stupid for Algarve to ask a question confirming what you mean?

Apologies to @Algarveaddick thought it was sarcasm, I don't normally receive responses apart from abusive ones. But no I don't think it is practical logical or necessary to track every movement across every border crossing point. Imagine they would be seen as an intrusion and vandalised as a matter of course. The cost of collecting and and sifting data most of which is neither relevant nor useful would be immense. It's only the movement of goods in commercial vehicles which is material and I assume the equivalent of airport and port clearance of goods in appropriate locations is more likely a suggestion. Livestock is tracked across borders by digital recording and all businesses keep digital records for accounting and tax purposes. I don't see a problem that can't be overcome with technology if the will is there.
  • Options

Stig said:

Why?

That's as stupid as saying every vessel, every train and every person that crosses the UK international border must be tracked at the moment the border is crossed...

Have I read this right? Are you really suggesting that it's stupid for Algarve to ask a question confirming what you mean?

Apologies to @Algarveaddick thought it was sarcasm, I don't normally receive responses apart from abusive ones. But no I don't think it is practical logical or necessary to track every movement across every border crossing point. Imagine they would be seen as an intrusion and vandalised as a matter of course. The cost of collecting and and sifting data most of which is neither relevant nor useful would be immense. It's only the movement of goods in commercial vehicles which is material and I assume the equivalent of airport and port clearance of goods in appropriate locations is more likely a suggestion. Livestock is tracked across borders by digital recording and all businesses keep digital records for accounting and tax purposes. I don't see a problem that can't be overcome with technology if the will is there.
    Apology accepted. As I mentioned - my point is not about goods or customs, just people, which a very large number of leavers had the problem with. They thought (rightly or wrongly) that they were voting for an isolated island.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All I know is, Spurs are out of Europe a year ahead of the rest of us.
  • Options
    Surely one of the biggest issues with any kind of border in Ireland is that neither the Republic or Northern Ireland voted for it or want it imposed on them. 'Taking back control' for the UK seems to mean losing control for both Irelands.
  • Options

By way of illustrating my point here is a link to the RAPEX product safety warning system that operates with the EU and Norway, etc.

https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumers_safety/safety_products/rapex/alerts/?event=main.immediatlyPublishedNotifications

As you can see there are alerts raised from all over Europe, that the UK currently has accessed to. Two points really relation to this.

We will not have access automatically to this info outside the EU as it's only available to those in the single market. At best it will require us to make a financial contribution to the system and of course something that complies with UK domestic law may not EU in the future (and vice versa) so the system will by definition become cumbersome and/or unworkable.

Secondly, look at the range of countries that are working together to keep EU citizens safe. This is the sort of cooperation that exists nowhere else and shows the lie from some quarters that it's only the UK and Germany that bother with EU rules and regulations anyway.

Brexit will make my life worser in a million small ways, as so many posts on this thread have shown. I'm yet to see even one tiny way it makes my life better that stands-up to any sort of scrutiny. There must be some for so many people to so passionately want it, right?
    I agree with your sentiments yet as we see on this thread daily the majority of Leavers still do not wish to discuss the nuts and bolts of what the EU does for all it's citizens. The sort of day to day advantages we've gained in the marketplace or the workplace, etc. just don't stack up against some ethereal, hypothetical discussion about sovereignty or the percieved effects of immigration. Some Leavers are going to be as unhappy as Remainers when the actuality of Brexit kicks in imo.
    The sad fact is that when it all goes tits up as it surely will, they will still blame the remainers for scuppering the deals by wanting Brexit to fail. If you look at the only age group from which the majority voted for Brexit, those of retirement age, you simply have people who have their houses, have their pensions and have much less to lose if anything at all. When you look at the age groups from which the majority voted to remain, they are the ones with their futures to lose. I think this sorry episode in our history will be remembered for the selfishness of those older people.
    Oi, I voted Remain and am an ‘older person’. Take your point but most of my friends voted the same way as me unlike some of their children. Most of the strongest advocates for Remain are the older politicians like John Major, Ken Clarke and Michael Heseltine for instance. :neutral:
  • Options

Stig said:

Why?

What was abusive about my response to your post please?

You haven't addressed any of the practicalities raised and the point in bold above is ignoring the 10000's of small businesses attempting to operate under the radar.
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:

By way of illustrating my point here is a link to the RAPEX product safety warning system that operates with the EU and Norway, etc.

https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/consumers_safety/safety_products/rapex/alerts/?event=main.immediatlyPublishedNotifications

As you can see there are alerts raised from all over Europe, that the UK currently has accessed to. Two points really relation to this.

We will not have access automatically to this info outside the EU as it's only available to those in the single market. At best it will require us to make a financial contribution to the system and of course something that complies with UK domestic law may not EU in the future (and vice versa) so the system will by definition become cumbersome and/or unworkable.

Secondly, look at the range of countries that are working together to keep EU citizens safe. This is the sort of cooperation that exists nowhere else and shows the lie from some quarters that it's only the UK and Germany that bother with EU rules and regulations anyway.

Brexit will make my life worser in a million small ways, as so many posts on this thread have shown. I'm yet to see even one tiny way it makes my life better that stands-up to any sort of scrutiny. There must be some for so many people to so passionately want it, right?
    I agree with your sentiments yet as we see on this thread daily the majority of Leavers still do not wish to discuss the nuts and bolts of what the EU does for all it's citizens. The sort of day to day advantages we've gained in the marketplace or the workplace, etc. just don't stack up against some ethereal, hypothetical discussion about sovereignty or the percieved effects of immigration. Some Leavers are going to be as unhappy as Remainers when the actuality of Brexit kicks in imo.
    The sad fact is that when it all goes tits up as it surely will, they will still blame the remainers for scuppering the deals by wanting Brexit to fail. If you look at the only age group from which the majority voted for Brexit, those of retirement age, you simply have people who have their houses, have their pensions and have much less to lose if anything at all. When you look at the age groups from which the majority voted to remain, they are the ones with their futures to lose. I think this sorry episode in our history will be remembered for the selfishness of those older people.
    Oi, I voted Remain and am an ‘older person’. Take your point but most of my friends voted the same way as me unlike some of their children. Most of the strongest advocates for Remain are the older politicians like John Major, Ken Clarke and Michael Heseltine for instance. :neutral:
    I'm an older person too - Just saying who history will blame. I might make some - don't blame me, I voted remain T-shirts for us oldies to wear!
  • Options

Chaz Hill said:

I'm an older person too - Just saying who history will blame. I might make some - don't blame me, I voted remain T-shirts for us oldies to wear!
    I already have one. You get them from Amazon for £10. Or am I being whoosed?
  • Options

Chaz Hill said:

I didn’t know they did xxxl

• Options
    seth plum said:
    They need to ring Seth ASAP.

• Options
    Didn't see this happening so soon.

As others have stated, the EU27 can read our papers and watch our news. This appears to play to those wanting a hard Brexit as they can now call (again) to walk away. This statement and the Brexiteers reaction will in turn give cause for alarm amongst remain Tories.

As discussed on the thread about Labour, some were crying out for Corbyn to endorse the single market on top of the CU announcement. However a recent poll shows that some 35% agree with the Corbyn position and/or leave the Tories to attempt to resolve matters.

At some point Parliament will have to get a grip on this. The EU27 control the sequencing and the UK has to propose a rational workable solution. All the talk of divergence to keep Rees Mogg and the rest happy has to stop.

If it doesn't then remain Tories have to do the right thing by the country. That the hard Brexiteers want to make Northern Ireland a smugglers paradise has not gone unnoticed by the people in charge.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Chaz Hill said:

I’ll have one.

• Options

That mean there could be some more Irish beef on the shelf... Well at last something good coming out of Ireland.. Apart from king eddies of course.
  • Options

Chaz Hill said:

Sod Amazon. Get all the gear from here and support the campaign

Just got my delivery last week. New t-shirt, car stickers, buttonhole badge...

• Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/08/european-chiefs-issuing-threats-to-secure-brexit-deal

One for our Leavers here. Arlene and Liam (sorry Dr Fox) side by side against the nasty EUers. Embarrassing doesn’t begin to describe this scene....
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Chaz Hill said:

I’ll have one.

And so will I

• Options
    Donald our new best friend after Brexit has already stuck two fingers up to the UK. 25% import tariff for steel and 10% for aluminium. Unless you’re Canada or Mexico that is.

All very promising on our journey to the sunny uplands.
  • Options
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/just-like-the-old-days-as-journalists-accuse-jean-claude-juncker-of-a-cover-up-1.3418235?mode=amp
    This is the truth behind the so 'democratic' EU, corruption of the highest order. Any comment you pro EU guys?
  • Options

That mean there could be some more Irish beef on the shelf... Well at last something good coming out of Ireland.. Apart from king eddies of course.
    I might have been inclined to mention Mark Kinsella as something good coming out of Ireland...

Definitely ahead of any potatoes (even then, I think Kerr's Pinks might be more likely).

Just saying.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/just-like-the-old-days-as-journalists-accuse-jean-claude-juncker-of-a-cover-up-1.3418235?mode=amp
    This is the truth behind the so 'democratic' EU, corruption of the highest order. Any comment you pro EU guys?

Of the highest order?
    Politicians in the EU have a limited term and they and their appointees can be turfed out if shenanigans are uncovered.
    The highest order would be a jobs for life scenario.
    The tale told in the article, although if true distasteful, is no worse than tales of patronage in the UK. In fact it is better because UK patronage can elevate a person to the House of Lords and then they do have a job for life.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Corruption, @Southbank ? I refer you to @Rothko 's post above, to remind you:

Its been interesting to see what regulations the Leave Elite want to pull back, Rees Mogg wants the structures that stop counterfeit airplane parts being used, and stop contaminated baby feed stripped back, whilst Dan Hannan big idea is to remove the regulations around children's car seats which are proven to reduce fatalities.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!