Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Northampton Post match views

Comments

• Options

No-one's mentioned Solly - was he better this week?

He's Solly, just quietly gets on with the game these days... I think despite them having dropped a bit the performances are still up there, he just set such a high standard when he broke through he's going to look a little worse than when he won POTY twice on the trot
    But he failed to get a challenge in at the far post and the Cobbler was able to nod it back across for their goal.
  • Options
    I'd be interested to know from those attending whether they think we might struggle against the more defensive, cloggier teams or are we good enough?
  • Options
    ross1 said:

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/59987ce4423bb/karl-robinson-salutes-charltons-togetherness-after-great-victory-over-northampton

He said: “We have two or three players that we really like and we have to work really hard to try and get them over the line. That’s us and the opposition as well because maybe the other team sees us as a threat and will not want to sell them to us.”

Is it me or does one of these players seriously sound like Will Grigg?

Definitely sounds like another League 1 team
    It's definitely Grigg.
  • Options
    Sage said:

ross1 said:

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/59987ce4423bb/karl-robinson-salutes-charltons-togetherness-after-great-victory-over-northampton

He said: “We have two or three players that we really like and we have to work really hard to try and get them over the line. That’s us and the opposition as well because maybe the other team sees us as a threat and will not want to sell them to us.”

Definitely sounds like another League 1 team
    It's definitely Grigg.
    I know better than disagree with you again :wink:
  • Options

1st game this season for me.
    I went feeling pesamistic and left feeling optimistic.
    1st time I've seen Clark play and he looks like a very good signing, fosu looks good and Kashi is different class.
    Now Roland give Robinson a couple more players and we might just have a chance.
    If not just f#$#I off

Have a day off
  • Options

A poor cross but otherwise fine imo
    JamesSeed said:

Family stand. (Not as good a view of the match as I normally get from my position in the directors' box.) Me and a couple of friends. No kids. Friend's kid was 'jetlagged'. Tommy 'felt unwell' at the last minute. Boo.

Arsenal season ticket holder friend there for his 3rd match at the Valley reckons we're waaaay better than last season and really enjoyed the match. The other, a Fulham fan, said he thought the football was very similar to what he watches in the Championship. Hmmm. Maybe?

Really pleased that Amos had such a good game. So much better than his previous efforts.

Didn't realise how little money KR has spent to improve the side. Kudos to him for that. Haven't we won 7 of our last 9 league matches? You'd think he'd be rewarded with some cash for a striker. But probably won't be. Josh and Novak won't really do it for us over a whole season if we want promotion imho.

We were so lively today and created regular openings, and yes we could quite easily have had more than four.
    Grimes looked quality in his first appearance for the Cobblers.
    KAG looked extremely good when he came on and boy, is he quick.
    Konsa looked great too.

Downsides:
    We broke away on at least four of five occasions, but made nothing of them. Need to be more clinical in those situations.
    We let them create too many chances, so it wasn't really a shock when they scored. But their forwards were poor.
    Spent twenty minutes in the press room looking for two VHS tapes of Ha'way the Lads, a drama doc about the early life of Jimmy Seed.
    Thanks to George for finding them upstairs. I don't think Olly is speaking to me though.
    Made in 1976 by Thames TV it went out nationally on a Saturday night on ITV, ten years after his death. Thanks to @Henry Irving it's being shown at the Bromley film festival in September. Come along, it's quite good! More details to follow.
    And then, heading home on a crowded tube a French girl offered me her seat. Never happened before.

You can go to Bromley but we're showing it at the White Swan in Charlton as part of the Charlton and Woolwich free film festival.

11 September and it's free, obviously
  • Options

Agree re Grigg. Think another one is Ryan Colclough - also at Wigan and also played under Robinson at MK Dons.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Family stand. (Not as good a view of the match as I normally get from my position in the directors' box.) Me and a couple of friends. No kids. Friend's kid was 'jetlagged'. Tommy 'felt unwell' at the last minute. Boo.

Arsenal season ticket holder friend there for his 3rd match at the Valley reckons we're waaaay better than last season and really enjoyed the match. The other, a Fulham fan, said he thought the football was very similar to what he watches in the Championship. Hmmm. Maybe?

Really pleased that Amos had such a good game. So much better than his previous efforts.

Didn't realise how little money KR has spent to improve the side. Kudos to him for that. Haven't we won 7 of our last 9 league matches? You'd think he'd be rewarded with some cash for a striker. But probably won't be. Josh and Novak won't really do it for us over a whole season if we want promotion imho.

We were so lively today and created regular openings, and yes we could quite easily have had more than four.
    Konsa looked great too.

Downsides:
    We broke away on at least four of five occasions, but made nothing of them. Need to be more clinical in those situations.
    We let them create too many chances, so it wasn't really a shock when they scored. But their forwards were poor.
    Spent twenty minutes in the press room looking for two VHS tapes of Ha'way the Lads, a drama doc about the early life of Jimmy Seed.
    Thanks to George for finding them upstairs. I don't think Olly is speaking to me though.
    Made in 1976 by Thames TV it went out nationally on a Saturday night on ITV, ten years after his death. Thanks to @Henry Irving it's being shown at the Bromley film festival in September. Come along, it's quite good! More details to follow.
    And then, heading home on a crowded tube a French girl offered me her seat. Never happened before.

You can go to Bromley but we're showing it at the White Swan in Charlton as part of the Charlton and Woolwich free film festival.

I'm sure you said Bromley Film Festival. I'm going to Bromley.
    Did I ever mention I used to live there?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Left at 2-1 on 86 nerves couldn't take it.. Amazed it was 4-1 at the end. Should have been that score after 70.....too much tippy tappy stuff.

Isn't that the best part of going football though when games are on a knife edge.
    Think we should have been out of sight a lot earlier, but I am adamant we will do better against the better teams that really go for it against us like Northampton did when we went 2-1 up. The speed of us on the break is superb and we will hurt a lot of teams this season. However it's going to be vital we get the first goal against the weaker teams who will sit back and soak up the pressure.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Konsa looked great too.

Downsides:

I'm in Bromley
  • Options

Poor management from Justin Edinburgh. Set up his team to defend too high up the pitch. Played into our very capable hands.

I noticed this too about their defending. It seemed as though we were attacking them 3-on-3 all the time. Must have happened at least 7-8 times throughout the match.
  • Options
    Pleased with that performance, attacking wise as good as I've seen at Charlton for a long time, although we did miss a hat full of chances.

We do seem to have lots of pace, but the lack of height makes us look vulnerable at times.

Overall though a very good performance with plenty of pace and style.
  • Options
    Going forward the best I've seen us for ages. We could have had double figures if we had a natural goal scorer and a few of them had shown a bit more composure when we broke away.

Still worried that we look open at times and vulnerable to the counter attack. Also unconvincing defending set plays.

Clarke surprised me today, good all round display. Kashi is hugely important to Robinson's 4-2-3-1 formation - love him as a player, wonderful touch and composure and works so hard. Heart in mouth when he went down near the end of the game.

Looking forward to getting Marshall in the team as I think he will be a real threat.

Squad looks painfully thin - injuries at full back and upfront and we have a big problem.

Hopefully we'll see two strikers come in as a minimum.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Left at 2-1 on 86 nerves couldn't take it.. Amazed it was 4-1 at the end. Should have been that score after 70.....too much tippy tappy stuff.

Isn't that the best part of going football though when games are on a knife edge.
    Think we should have been out of sight a lot earlier, but I am adamant we will do better against the better teams that really go for it against us like Northampton did when we went 2-1 up. The speed of us on the break is superb and we will hurt a lot of teams this season. However it's going to be vital we get the first goal against the weaker teams who will sit back and soak up the pressure.
    Top response
  • Options
    Thought we were very good today. That Reeves will have to be some player to shift Clarke after his performance today!
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing the goals on the box tonight.

Many thanks to all those providing input to the match thread.

I think if we'd have kept eleven on the pitch against Rovers we might have seen this kind of score then, too.
  • Options

Grigg is coming back from something like 3-4 months out injured. Obviously would be a great signing, but is there any reason why we think Wigan would let him go? I just don't see it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Disappointed no "balanced view" by Viewfinder so far...

That is always a joy
  • Options
    I admit I did have that slight nagging feeling that we could throw the win away when we went to 2-1 but instead we put some emphasis on the scoreline at the end. I do think in previous seasons we would have been much more likely to do that so it's nice to see us break a bad habit. Maybe with a bit of luck they'll see the results we can get with our first choice 11 and realise what a bigger squad could do for us, because there's no way we'll be able to put that 11 out for every single game this season
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    clb74 said:

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Konsa looked great too.

Downsides:

I'm in Bromley
    I would reply but this might not be on topic.
  • Options
    Couple of cracking individual and team goals there