Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Northampton Post match views

Comments

• Options

If "cover" is provided by a kid, is the test is, is that kid ready next week to step in and play 20 games if the incumbent is injured.

So for me the question is whether you can confidently say "yes" to Dijksteel. Maybe, I am not qualified to have an opinion.

They thought KAG was cover season before last. I am not sure he has recovered from that. That is the danger.

We all know, of course, that RD is obsessed with kids ( including at the dancing) but he understands football no better than any of us, and his obsession may be more business driven than a belief that it will bring results on the pitch.

If "cover" is provided by a kid, is the test is, is that kid ready next week to step in and play 20 games if the incumbent is injured.

So for me the question is whether you can confidently say "yes" to Dijksteel. Maybe, I am not qualified to have an opinion.

They thought KAG was cover season before last. I am not sure he has recovered from that. That is the danger.

We all know, of course, that RD is obsessed with kids ( including at the dancing) but he understands football no better than any of us, and his obsession may be more business driven than a belief that it will bring results on the pitch.

Blooding youngsters is a fine art and one which our current manager is well respected for. Hard to say exactly when it's right for a kid to be thrown in but it's definitely not right that the whole purpose of the club is to showcase kids just to sell on at the earliest oportunity.

That's what we have with Roland and that's what's wrong with our club. Until the purpose is to build, strengthen and progress as a club we will always be left wanting.

So we don't play youngsters in case they are any good and we have to sell them? We are a selling Club, just like all the other Clubs. Develop, play and enjoy them while we can.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Crowd was class , how many teams fans for 5 to 10 mins after final whistle still chant the manager and team three games into new season ?

If fans aren't going to rush off dead on the final whistle then perhaps the club needs to find a jolly sing-a-long song to play a la Barcelona...
    Or a dance?
    Now you're talking....
  • Options
    edited August 2017
  • Options
    Congratulations Siv in Norfolk. By the way, did they tell you that this year is the year of the Addick ?
  • Options
    If everyone stays fit and we take all our chances this will be an easy season. However I fear that an injury to Solly/Da Silva, Kashi/JFC or Josh Maggennis will mean we're a play off team at best. If we get in 2 or 3 more players in those areas I'll be really confident about the season
  • Options

If everyone stays fit and we take all our chances this will be an easy season. However I fear that an injury to Solly/Da Silva, Kashi/JFC or Josh Maggennis will mean we're a play off team at best. If we get in 2 or 3 more players in those areas I'll be really confident about the season

It will be interesting to see the attendances should we maintain a top 6 spot all season.
  • Options

Blooding youngsters is a fine art and one which our current manager is well respected for. Hard to say exactly when it's right for a kid to be thrown in but it's definitely not right that the whole purpose of the club is to showcase kids just to sell on at the earliest oportunity.

That's what we have with Roland and that's what's wrong with our club. Until the purpose is to build, strengthen and progress as a club we will always be left wanting.

So we don't play youngsters in case they are any good and we have to sell them? We are a selling Club, just like all the other Clubs. Develop, play and enjoy them while we can.
    Where did I say we don't blood youngsters. I even said Robinson is well respected for nurturing Young talent. I dare say it helped him get the job.

What we don't need is kids being thrown in at the wrong time. Before they are ready or can offer something to the team.

We are still a football club where results matter or at least that's what I want us to be. It's great we have a good academy and a reputation for bringing through good young players but I don't want that's all we are noted for. Someone needs to tell Roland.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Regarding right back, we have cover for Solly in the form of both Dijksteel and Konsa. Not forgetting RCC has played there in the past as well. I know they're all youngsters but if you said to me you can have two of a striker, a keeper and a right back then I would leave the right back cover for another window. I'm far more concerned about left back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unfortunately, this fantastic performance was preceded by an inept display at Plymouth. so what will the next one be !
  • Options

That was superb. We are quick, accurate, and tough. My pal hadn't seen Charlton since the days of BWP and Kermorgant, and as a host I was expecting the worst...

Yet, our players have had a lobotomy, injected with speed left from Tony Watt's mates' stash. We were first to the spare ball, Khasi and Pearce darting in to the tackle – winning possession and passing precisely. Rapid, sharp-angled moves: forward. The six-feet-eight basketball players of Northampton were reduced to the gangling kids at the back of the class at school – tall, pale and weak.

It's lovely. Straight from the start, we went for the jugular: turned the defence, crossed accurately – for a change – and Magennis leaped and powered in. He's a bull of a man. In the second half, did you notice him sprint to the corner, overtaking the defender, and muscling in? It's our throw!

At The Valley we have all endured many seasons of crab-like lateral passes, the pussy-footing and navel-gazing – then the pass back to the keeper, who hoofed it in to Row Z. I have never seen Forster-Caskey score a goal like that: from 25 yards, a delicious, curving arc to the onion-bag to send the Covered End to delirium.

We were visceral today, animal-like. Raw – and clever. In the second half, our player seized the ball in our own box and sprinted forward, ball at foot. Last season he would have paused at the half-way line, chatted with Claude over the garden fence, and eaten a corned-beef sandwich.

He powered on today, aware – crucially – that he was solo: shit or bust. A step-over on the edge of their box, the double-shuffle, and shot hard and low. Keeper dives, and rages at his centre backs, puffing up behind. Love it!

Red shirts mean blood and danger. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't storm the league this season.

Let's not get too carried away with regards to storming the league. An impressive performance yes but against a poor Northampton side.

Don't mean to be pessimistic though, really enjoyed yesterday. We need 1/2 more in though and then I will get excited for promotion.

The midfield is the best we have had outside the Prem when you take what we are up against. We need a striker like Grigg and we need luck with injuries at the back but things are in place for a real shot at promotion that's for sure.
  • Options
    Is that really Viewfinder, or has someone pinched his name? If it is true, I like it
  • Options

That was superb. We are quick, accurate, and tough. My pal hadn't seen Charlton since the days of BWP and Kermorgant, and as a host I was expecting the worst...

Yet, our players have had a lobotomy, injected with speed left from Tony Watt's mates' stash. We were first to the spare ball, Kahsi and Pearce darting in to the tackle – winning possession and passing precisely. Rapid, sharp-angled moves: forward. The six-feet-eight basketball players of Northampton were reduced to the gangling kids at the back of the class at school – tall, pale and weak.

It's lovely. Straight from the start, we went for the jugular: turned the defence, crossed accurately – for a change – and Magennis leaped and powered in. He's a bull of a man. In the second half, did you notice him sprint to the corner, overtaking the defender, and muscling in? It's our throw!

At The Valley we have all endured many seasons of crab-like lateral passes, the pussy-footing and navel-gazing – then the pass back to the keeper, who hoofed it in to Row Z. I have never seen Forster-Caskey score a goal like that: from 25 yards, a delicious, curving arc to the onion-bag to send the Covered End to delirium.

We were visceral today, animal-like. Raw – and clever. In the second half, our player seized the ball in our own box and sprinted forward, ball at foot. Last season he would have paused at the half-way line, chatted with Claude over the garden fence, and eaten a corned-beef sandwich.

He powered on today, aware – crucially – that he was solo: shit or bust. A step-over on the edge of their box, the double-shuffle, and shot hard and low. Keeper dives, and rages at his centre backs, puffing up behind. Love it!

Red shirts mean blood and danger. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't storm the league this season.

Are you okay Viewfinder?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    JamesSeed said:

If you think about the team yesterday, and the players who are out (Marshall) with the likes of Reeves,Konsa,Aribo,JJ,KAG and others sitting on the bench - are we really 2/3 players short ?
    Granted we need a striker, but could it be that is the only position where we need to bolster?

I think everyone agrees the midfield is fine.
    RB cover is Dijksteel (fine)
    LB cover is Page (unproven, but may be ok)
    CB's: fine, especially if you like Sarr
    Keepers: I like Phillips, Amos improved yesterday, but only time will tell
    Strikers: I'm not crazy about either tbh, but others disagree
    So for me, strikers yes, anything else would be a bonus.
    Sorry I wrote this before seeing a couple others made similar points. Worth noting Dijksteel was apparently brilliant at RB against Championship Norwich and Exeter. He also played 10-15 minutes at CB against Dover and I thought he looked very good, strong, tough, good in the air. It seems since KR came in he has been identified as the youth player closest to being ready to make the step up.

I second this. You can add Sarr and Barnes as cover at left back and Barnes and RCC cover as right back. RCC, Barnes, and Dijksteel are all unproven, but all look good prospects and can potentially cover multiple positions, spreading out the risk should one have a dip in form or confidence.

For me we're one striker short, assuming we keep Novak.

If we get someone in markedly better than Josh, great, but I think that's a big ask at our level. I'd be happy with someone competing with Novak for the back up role.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Charlton aren't a selling club because they have to sell. The owner is a multi-millionaire. Charlton are selling club because they want to sell. It's about Roland making money, not building a competitive Charlton team.

Did you enjoy all of Joe Gomez's 21 games? Probably not as much as you enjoyed Scott Parker's 128 games I'd guess.
    Wasn't we a premiership club with Parker therefore we wouldn't have to sell with the TV money and gate receipts coming in. Gomez conducted himself in a far more professional manner as did Lookman when he left the club rather than Parker who threw his toys at the pram and stitched the club up.
  • Options

Missed It said:

Charlton aren't a selling club because they have to sell. The owner is a multi-millionaire. Charlton are selling club because they want to sell. It's about Roland making money, not building a competitive Charlton team.

Did you enjoy all of Joe Gomez's 21 games? Probably not as much as you enjoyed Scott Parker's 128 games I'd guess.
    Wasn't we a premiership club with Parker therefore we wouldn't have to sell with the TV money and gate receipts coming in. Gomez conducted himself in a far more professional manner as did Lookman when he left the club rather than Parker who threw his toys at the pram and stitched the club up.
    Point is, Parker contributed to the club's success. Gomez's appearances were nothing more than an ad campaign for the club to cash him in (too cheaply!)
  • Options

Couple of big things with the youngsters.

1. The current batch (RHF aside) of promising graduates are all 19/20 years old this season. That is a big difference in terms of their development to being 17/18 as they were when they were first being used in the first team under Luzon and Fraeye.

2. It looks more likely this season that if they need to come in then they will be coming into a team playing reasonably well and with the fans behind them, rather than having to try and lift a team in bad form and with the fans in an already negative frame of mind.

It feels very much like these young players are 'ready' this season in a way that they haven't been in previous seasons.

Also worth remembering that Konsa's break through year was last year and he played a lot of games. I know right back and defensive midfield may not be his best positions, but mentally he should be plenty able to come in and handle the responsibility of playing a prolonged spell in the team. Heck, he's arguably unlucky not to be in the first choice XI already.

The area where the above does not apply is our young strikers which is why it so important that at least one more senior forward is signed.

Couple of big things with the youngsters.

1. The current batch (RHF aside) of promising graduates are all 19/20 years old this season. That is a big difference in terms of their development to being 17/18 as they were when they were first being used in the first team under Luzon and Fraeye.

2. It looks more likely this season that if they need to come in then they will be coming into a team playing reasonably well and with the fans behind them, rather than having to try and lift a team in bad form and with the fans in an already negative frame of mind.

It feels very much like these young players are 'ready' this season in a way that they haven't been in previous seasons.

Also worth remembering that Konsa's break through year was last year and he played a lot of games. I know right back and defensive midfield may not be his best positions, but mentally he should be plenty able to come in and handle the responsibility of playing a prolonged spell in the team. Heck, he's arguably unlucky not to be in the first choice XI already.

The area where the above does not apply is our young strikers which is why it so important that at least one more senior forward is signed.

Completely agree, don't mind them playing the odd game but you don't want to rely on them all season.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Missed It said:

Point is, Parker contributed to the club's success. Gomez's appearances were nothing more than an ad campaign for the club to cash him in (too cheaply!)
    Parker contributed the clubs success? The same Parker that wanted out when we were forth in the premiership and could have got into Europe if he had stayed meaning that we could attracted a better player and pushed us on further.
    Liverpool activated a clause in the contract of Joe Gomez and both parties conducted themselves in a,professional unlike some clubs when trying to get a player and unsettle him, and to be fair who can blame Joe and now is on there starting 11.
    Lookman was a great deal, however he now appears to have dropped down the pecking order and may move on loan so all in all good business.
  • Options
    Nothing really to add to what has already been said, others than once again I really enjoyed the game.
    Also, although 4-1 was a fair reflection overall, there were periods when it looked like we were running out of ideas and might chuck it away.
    This side is still a work in progress and although I wasn't slitting my wrists after last week I don't think it's suddenly going to become a cakewalk.
    See how we are after 10 games.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

I disagree. Charlton has been a selling Club for as long as I have followed them (late 50s), even in our Premier days. This has been irrespective of owners.
  • Options

Nothing really to add to what has already been said, others than once again I really enjoyed the game.
    Also, although 4-1 was a fair reflection overall, there were periods when it looked like we were running out of ideas and might chuck it away.
    This side is still a work in progress and although I wasn't slitting my wrists after last week I don't think it's suddenly going to become a cakewalk.
    See how we are after 10 games.

I always go by where a team is after 15 games. That is usually a good barometer for how the season will pan out.