Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Northampton Post match views

Comments

• Options

Good vlog of the game here https://youtu.be/3vF6cO54Avo

This is very good - whoever made it, keep making them ! Very good.
  • Options
    robroy said:

Billy Class was superb! Going to be a very important player for us.

JFC is a different player now he is fit. He is gonna have a good season.

We just need a striker and a back up keeper. Reeves and Marshall to come back too.

COYR's

Roy of the Rovers character?
  • Options

Magnificent result .
    Day started off bad when I picked my nephew up and realised he had shit on his trainers in my car .
    Car park that I use when taking niece and nephews is no longer , that's the one bottom end of Victoria Way . Couldn't find much grass on the way to ground and wiped most of it off in some leaves and weeds by the side of the road.

6% Automatic promotion ........ 40% Play offs ........... 53% 7th-12th .........1% 13th-20th ...... 0% Relegation

100% Roland Out

Why did he shit on his trainers in your car Morts? Had you upset him?
  • Options

Magnificent result .
    Day started off bad when I picked my nephew up and realised he had shit on his trainers in my car .
    Car park that I use when taking niece and nephews is no longer , that's the one bottom end of Victoria Way . Couldn't find much grass on the way to ground and wiped most of it off in some leaves and weeds by the side of the road.

All been said above , Amos made one particular great save when their attacker shot across him first half and was much improved from his previous flappy experience, long may that continue .
    KAG nearly scored a Lisbie against Liverpool like goal after a long run and just couldn't curl it in the far post . Best cameo I've seen him play, almost as if he hasn't got Watt moaning at him he's free to express himself .

So far the league looks pony and we look a cut above , early days but I'm optimistic about our prospects.

6% Automatic promotion ........ 40% Play offs ........... 53% 7th-12th .........1% 13th-20th ...... 0% Relegation

100% Roland Out

couldn't he have gone before he left the house?
  • Options
    Well done, Charlton. Congratulations, Siv.
  • Options
    Great performance . I was concerned when Konsa came on in midfield but he was superb
  • Options
    Scoham said:

JamesSeed said:

Robinson does deserve credit but this time last year we beat Shewsbury 3 - 0 at the Valley and similar things were being said.

Premature evaluation then and now.

If you say so. But you've got a short memory.
    If anyone really wants to see what was being said after the Shrewsbury win last year:

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/74506/charlton-v-shrewsbury-post-match-thread/p1
    Not quite the same reaction for the Shrewsbury result last season as the one for yesterday's performance then. In fact, in the first 3 pages about the only over the top comment seems to have come from me when I posted about holmes and whether he reminded me of killer in the way he focuses on going for goal or Robinson on the way he doesn't seem to give up. Fortunately somebody put me right on that and basically told me I was wrong because what a flash in the pan that holmes turned out to be...never scores and goes missing for most of the game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another great home performance . Can't give a MOM as so many good performances . Special mention for Ezri Konsa . Right back , Centre back , Defensive CMD , and now Attacking CMD . Can he play up top ? Crowd was class , how many teams fans for 5 to 10 mins after final whistle still chant the manager and team three games into new season ?
  • Options

Crowd was class , how many teams fans for 5 to 10 mins after final whistle still chant the manager and team three games into new season ?

If fans aren't going to rush off dead on the final whistle then perhaps the club needs to find a jolly sing-a-long song to play a la Barcelona...
  • Options
    Scoham said:

JamesSeed said:

Robinson does deserve credit but this time last year we beat Shewsbury 3 - 0 at the Valley and similar things were being said.

If anyone really wants to see what was being said after the Shrewsbury win last year:

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/74506/charlton-v-shrewsbury-post-match-thread/p1
    Scoham said:

JamesSeed said:

Some positive comments but nowhere near the same as yesterday.
  • Options

I really enjoyed the thumping of a lesser team and we did look comfortable but it is worth remembering we have lost a third of our league games and failed to score in a third of them also. Also we have only managed to score more than one goal in a third of our league games.

Chelsea have lost 100% of their league games so far. Nailed-on relegation.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I really enjoyed the thumping of a lesser team and we did look comfortable but it is worth remembering we have lost a third of our league games and failed to score in a third of them also. Also we have only managed to score more than one goal in a third of our league games.

Chelsea have lost 100% of their league games so far. Nailed-on relegation.
    I imagine they'll be interested in Novak.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Surely Karl Robinson deserves some credit for transfer business done during the summer, and for the type of football we are currently playing.

I found Slade's football hard to watch at times, and although Robinson's early results weren't good our style of play gradually became more attractive.

The midfield is now beginning to look look quite special, and he's unloaded some Higher earning dead wood, (and Roger Johnson!), so hats off to him for that, particularly as he clearly wasn't given much cash for transfers.

I think we've won seven of our last nine league matches, albeit mainly against the less fancied clubs.

This. An excellent, excellent point.

Also, obviously time will tell this season, but last season we often struggled against teams around us or below us. And just looking at how we play, I think that when we come up against teams who come at, leaving more space and stretching the game, it will help out pressing and attack.
  • Options

Cheer up and enjoy the moment
    Just thought I'd try and swing the thread back a touch. Some people are getting a little ahead of the game here after two home games. We were head and shoulders the better team yesterday but we were playing a team that was very one dimensional from the start to the finish. Typical of this and their level really.
    Anyway I did enjoy the day from first drink to the train home. Let's hope we improve our defending, take our chances when presented with them and carry on thumping teams until next May.
  • Options

Crowd was class , how many teams fans for 5 to 10 mins after final whistle still chant the manager and team three games into new season ?

If fans aren't going to rush off dead on the final whistle then perhaps the club needs to find a jolly sing-a-long song to play a la Barcelona...
    Or a dance?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you think about the team yesterday, and the players who are out (Marshall) with the likes of Reeves,Konsa,Aribo,JJ,KAG and others sitting on the bench - are we really 2/3 players short ?
    Granted we need a striker, but could it be that is the only position where we need to bolster?
  • Options

If you think about the team yesterday, and the players who are out (Marshall) with the likes of Reeves,Konsa,Aribo,JJ,KAG and others sitting on the bench - are we really 2/3 players short ?
    Granted we need a striker, but could it be that is the only position where we need to bolster?

I think everyone agrees the midfield is fine.
    RB cover is Dijksteel (fine)
    LB cover is Page (unproven, but may be ok)
    CB's: fine, especially if you like Sarr
    Keepers: I like Phillips, Amos improved yesterday, but only time will tell
    Strikers: I'm not crazy about either tbh, but others disagree
    So for me, strikers yes, anything else would be a bonus.
  • Options

Glad to read so many recognising Clarke. Very good player and performance from him but they all played well.

Great fun to watch and great football. Their goal came a bit out of the blue but was a warning.

Big shout out for JFC and not just because I had him at 12/1 for last goal.

Ok, Northampton were noting special and must be bottom but we were well in control.

Being picky we could and should have scored more. Mag missed a good chance and a few other chances went begging.

Looked a locked on pen near the end.

Early days but looking very good. Harder games to come so will wait to see how we're doing after ten games.

UTA

Sod recognising Clarke, I kept on getting him mixed up with Foster- Caskey
  • Options

Not a brilliant performance but what fantastic goals. Billy Clarke my man of the match and Jay was superb. I think the midfield is the strength and forster caskey is a good example of how the midfield (just like when we won league 1 before) will get the goals. It would be nice to have another striker and if Novak goes then we can get a decent one on loan hopefully. Northampton are obviously a work in progress and I thought the score flattered us but another great day for Charlton and a good bounce back from last week.

Not a brilliant performance. Scoreline flattered us!

Some people have very high expectations.
  • Options

If "cover" is provided by a kid, is the test is, is that kid ready next week to step in and play 20 games if the incumbent is injured.

So for me the question is whether you can confidently say "yes" to Dijksteel. Maybe, I am not qualified to have an opinion.

They thought KAG was cover season before last. I am not sure he has recovered from that. That is the danger.

We all know, of course, that RD is obsessed with kids ( including at the dancing) but he understands football no better than any of us, and his obsession may be more business driven than a belief that it will bring results on the pitch.

I think from watching Dijksteel he could cover the 20 games as per Gomes and Poyet but I think the real question is could KAG. UMERAH. Or RHC lead the line for 10 games even successfully and the answer had to be no

• Options

Our season will (as it probably does with a lot of sides) depend on the injuries we get. If we get 35+ games out of the players you wouldn't want to miss too many games because of the lack of a decent back up (Magennis, Kashi, Holmes, Solly, JDS, Reeves/Clarke) then we'll be pretty close to automatic promotion. If the majority of that lot stay fit, then it's fine to have kids coming in for the odd game and playing 20 mins as a sub every other week.

The issue is if a key player gets a 2-3 month injury. We'd be in trouble if Kashi misses any length of time as we will if Holmes gets injured whilst Marshall is also out, and obviously Magennis up front unless someone else comes in.
  • Options
    Or someone is sold in January.