Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Think you should keep those sort of opinions to yourself...
  • edited June 2017
    With the return of Kashi and hopefully Vetokele, I dont think we need as much in this window.
    I think another GK, Da Silva back on loan is all we really need.
    A fit Vetokele will score 20+ goals in this league partnered with Watt or Magennis.

going for a 5-3-2

Phillips

Baure Pearce Tex
    Solly Da Silva

Kashi JFC

Holmes

Watt / Magennis Vetokele

With Lennon, Page, Crofts, Konsa, Aribo, Clark and Marshall on your bench pushing for starts.
  • There is no way both Kashi and Igor will be playing League 1 football next season. Even if they miraculously did, they would not be the same players we had when they looked impressive in the Championship anyway.
  • There is no way both Kashi and Igor will be playing League 1 football next season. Even if they miraculously did, they would not be the same players we had when they looked impressive in the Championship anyway.

Dunno... Igor could be a different case because he's been back playing Football for a year now and got plenty of game time out in Belgium last season - Kashi on the other hand we need to be patient with, he should be eased back into the Squad / matches and will be very rusty.
  • Agreed Kashi wont be rushed but as a best case scenario, with Aribo, Crofts. Konsa all potentially playing CM also. I think we have depth. Im not too concerned that weve started slowly recruiting.
  • Kashi will stay because he needs game time this season, but i'm sure Igor will just be loaned back to STVV

Dunno... Igor could be a different case because he's been back playing Football for a year now and got plenty of game time out in Belgium last season - Kashi on the other hand we need to be patient with, he should be eased back into the Squad / matches and will be very rusty.
    yeah agreed about Kashi, but I think he will be released in this window. Igor is probably fit enough, and he did well at Sint-Truiden after struggling at Zulte-Waragem, but I don't think he wants to be here.

yeah agreed about Kashi, but I think he will be released in this window. Igor is probably fit enough, and he did well at Sint-Truiden after struggling at Zulte-Waragem, but I don't think he wants to be here.
    To be fair to Igor (and to Ahmed) I cant really blame either if they dont want to be here. Both have suffered serious injuries whilst at the club which dont seem to have been handled very well - I wouldnt be surprised if their thought process is: What happens if I get injured again, will the club look after me... If thats what they think I dont blame either for wanting to find another club that'll look after them better and allow them to play.
  • I don't see Konsa as a CM - I've never been impressed with him there. He is a good (starting player) at CB and more than enough cover at RB. Given KRs preferred system seems like...

Phillips/ new GK

Solly / Konsa, Bauer, Pearce, Page / new LB

Kashi, JFC

Marshall, Aribo/Watt/ new AM, Holmes

Magenniss.

Squad depth includes:

GK - Mitov (weak)

Def: Tex, Konsa/Bauer, Lennon (weak @ full back)

CM& AM: Crofts, Jackson, Clarke, Watt/Aribo (okay)

Wide players: Cebalos (weak)

Strikers: Ajose, Novak, Watt, Aherne Grant (strong)

One of the main issues we've had under duchatalet is that there's a lack of depth in the squad to cope with injuries etc. We're early in the summer but you can see here where the squad is strong and where it needs improvement from a numbers perspective. This doesn't allow for outgoings which will add to what we need. From what I can see we need a GK, 1/2 defenders at full backs, at least 2 more wide players. Also allows a reliance on Kashi which is perhaps wishful thinking.

Anything else is a bonus or to replace outgoings, but a balanced squad is key to achieve anything this season.
  • In terms of numbers, we are probably only about 1 player short, The problem is that we need to get rid of players before signing their replacements.
  • Sponsored links:

• Mitov was given a free and is now at Cambridge. I doubt Vetokele will be with us next season.
  • Beardface said:

I don't see Konsa as a CM - I've never been impressed with him there. He is a good (starting player) at CB and more than enough cover at RB. Given KRs preferred system seems like...

Phillips/ new GK

Solly / Konsa, Bauer, Pearce, Page / new LB

Kashi, JFC

Marshall, Aribo/Watt/ new AM, Holmes

Magenniss.

Squad depth includes:

GK - Mitov (weak)

Def: Tex, Konsa/Bauer, Lennon (weak @ full back)

CM& AM: Crofts, Jackson, Clarke, Watt/Aribo (okay)

Wide players: Cebalos (weak)

Strikers: Ajose, Novak, Watt, Aherne Grant (strong)

One of the main issues we've had under duchatalet is that there's a lack of depth in the squad to cope with injuries etc. We're early in the summer but you can see here where the squad is strong and where it needs improvement from a numbers perspective. This doesn't allow for outgoings which will add to what we need. From what I can see we need a GK, 1/2 defenders at full backs, at least 2 more wide players. Also allows a reliance on Kashi which is perhaps wishful thinking.

Anything else is a bonus or to replace outgoings, but a balanced squad is key to achieve anything this season.

Mitov's gone. Definitely need a goalkeeper, a left back & cover for Solly. Konsa is a defender & both Aribo & Dijekstel should be playing regularly in our midfield.

I'd love to see both Kashi & Igor back in the team but not sure if they want to be here, although I would say we are in a better league (and have more media/tv exposure) than either of the 2 teams he has played for recently.
  • edited June 2017
    If, as expected, we play 4231, we would need a squad of roughly the following:
    2 GKs
    7 Defenders
    4 DM/CMs with Jackson/Djiksteel as cover
    5 AM's/Wingers
    3 strikers with the youngsters covering (Aherne-Grant, Umerah etc)
    Thats a 21 man squad with 3/4 decent youngsters as cover. I think thats the best you can hope for with these in charge plus being in League 1.

We currently have:
    Phillips, so need a new GK
    RB - Solly with Konsa/Barnes/Charles-Cook as cover
    LB - New signing plus Page (Edwards/Lennon as cover while Page is injured)
    CB - Konsa, Bauer, Pearce, Lennon
    Meaning just 1 new signing with Tex and Sarr leaving
    DM - Kashi (or replacement) with Crofts as back up, Dijksteel could possibly compete with Crofts
    CM - JFC with Aribo as cover, plus Jackson
    AM - New signing backed up by Clarke (hopefully Reeves)
    Wingers - Marshall and Holmes with a new signing as cover
    Str - Magennis

Major issues with strikers as we have Igor, Watt, Novak and Ajose. On paper we could keep any 2 of them but not sure who wants to be here and who is good enough.

I would say we need a GK, LB, AM, Winger as minimum. Possibly new DM and Striker

Question marks over Tex, Sarr, Kashi, Ceballos, Igor, Watt, Novak, Ajose, shows how we need to offload before signing anyone.

• I hope we get rid of Tex, high wages and no where near as good as he thinks he is, is our 3rd best CB
  • I hope we get rid of Tex, high wages and no where near as good as he thinks he is, is our 3rd best CB

He might be our best centre-back if he played alongside Pearce....
  • I think Tex and Pearce would be our best CB partnership, but happy to play Konsa given his wages.
  • Ashdown said:

With the return of Kashi and hopefully Vetokele, I dont think we need as much in this window.
    A fit Vetokele will score 20+ goals in this league partnered with Watt or Magennis.

going for a 5-3-2

Phillips

Baure Pearce Tex
    Solly Da Silva

Kashi JFC

Holmes

Watt / Magennis Vetokele

With Lennon, Page, Crofts, Konsa, Aribo, Clark and Marshall on your bench pushing for starts.

Marshall will start surely?
  • edited June 2017
    JamesSeed said:

Ashdown said:

going for a 5-3-2

Phillips

Baure Pearce Tex
    Solly Da Silva

Kashi JFC

Holmes

Watt / Magennis Vetokele

Marshall will start surely?
    If We go 4-5-1/4-3-3 definetly I only mentioned 5-3-2 as it seems to be liked a lot last season with teams adopting 3 at the back. I believe we are very strong defensively and with the players at our disposal could be an option.
  • No way in hell should we be aiming to play 5 at the back, Solly and Page are not good enough going forwards for that, and it relies on the 5 attacking players to be dynamic, something a lot of our current squad isn't.

Phillips
    Solly, Bauer, Pearce, new LB
    Forster-Caskey, Kashi
    Marshall, new AM, Holmes
    Magennis

New GK
    New RB, Konsa, New CB, Page
    New CM, Crofts, Jackson, Dijksteel
    New AM, Aribo, Clarke
    New ST, Vetokele, Ahearne-Grant

Watt, Teixeira, Novak, Ceballos and Sarr to leave

Martin, Hodson, Turnbull/Lindsay, DaSilva, Gleeson, Reeves​, Maddison, Mavididi all coming in, complete pie in the sky though!
  • Sponsored links:

• We need a prolific goalscorer.

watt? :wink:

watt? :wink:
    You heard me
  • It's no coincidence that the last three top-scoring players in League 1 have also won the league.

I can't see Watt, Igor, Novak, Magennis, Ajose or KAG getting anywhere close to 25-30 goals with us.

This.......in spades.

If we can keep the players already here then all we really need is a GK (either 1st choice or back up) and the aforementioned prolific striker - something we have lacked since the departure of BWP. Its no co-incidence that the promotions since returning to the Valley (1998, 2000, 2012) have all included a striker who has got us 20+ goals. (Mendonca, Hunt, BWP). I bang on & on & on about it every time - goals win games. clean sheets help, but to win a game of football you have to score at least 1 goal - most games these days you need 2 or even 3. Our current strikers just aren't good enough to get us promoted.
  • Tariq Fosu

Nope, no idea either
  • sam3110 said:

No way in hell should we be aiming to play 5 at the back, Solly and Page are not good enough going forwards for that, and it relies on the 5 attacking players to be dynamic, something a lot of our current squad isn't.

Phillips
    Solly, Bauer, Pearce, new LB
    Forster-Caskey, Kashi
    Marshall, new AM, Holmes
    Magennis

New GK
    New RB, Konsa, New CB, Page
    New CM, Crofts, Jackson, Dijksteel
    New AM, Aribo, Clarke
    New ST, Vetokele, Ahearne-Grant

Watt, Teixeira, Novak, Ceballos and Sarr to leave

Martin, Hodson, Turnbull/Lindsay, DaSilva, Gleeson, Reeves​, Maddison, Mavididi all coming in, complete pie in the sky though!

Agree mostly, but don't need a new CB in the "back up 11" with Lennon. I don't think we would need a new CM if we had Kashi, that would make 6 CMs on your list and thats too much when you are playing only 2. Plus I see Aribo as a CM, and you now have the new guy to play as a back up winger.
  • It just goes to show how limited our rumors are when we have signed three players and two of them weren't even mentioned. I guess this means that there could well be other signings in the pipeline that we know nothing about - both in and out.
  • It just goes to show how limited our rumors are when we have signed three players and two of them weren't even mentioned. I guess this means that there could well be other signings in the pipeline that we know nothing about - both in and out.

Clarke was a big rumour at the end of the season and Marshall was an ongoing one, Fosu is a complete shock though.
  • Leuth said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/25936/addicks-boss-puts-midfielder-transfer-plans-hold-kashi-set-hand-pre-season-boost/

“What I’m hearing is that he wants to be at Charlton next season.

“I’ve watched four or five of his games, everybody speaks of his ability.

“I’m really looking forward to welcoming him back. We probably do need another midfielder but I’ll see where Kashi is first.”

Probably part of some Championship/Foreign clubs squad!

Would be very surprised to see him turn out for Charlton in another competitive game.
    Out for the best part of two years, can't see why any Championship would take a chance on him. He did look good but we don't know if that form would have continued over a full season.
    He made El Haji Ba look good! That takes some doing.
    this is probably the worst call you've made on this website, sozzles EDIT: I'm an idiot, Covered End Lad has lifted the scales from the eyes
    Yep CEL explained what I was meaning!