Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Options
    In League One, I think he would be a great signing. It won't happen for many reasons, one being how Robinson reacted as MK Dons boss when he got sent off for that elbow.

He will end up going to France or Holland.
  • Options
    Kent Live quotes Clarke as saying after the signing "I never met with Robinson."

Jesus, here we go again.
  • Options

Kent Live quotes Clarke as saying after the signing "I never met with Robinson."

Jesus, here we go again.

This has got to be bollocks surely?
  • Options

Peter Whittingham signing for Blackburn on a free.

There gonna walk league one with signings like that! We don't have a chance!
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Jesus, here we go again.

He said he spoke on the phone to him for ten minutes.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Cheltenham forward Billy Watters signed with Northampton.

Was a free signing.

Scored 12 and 11 the last two seasons in all competitions. Only 22 years old. Was their POY last year.

Would have been a nice addition with good upside. Bummed we didn't even consider him given it would have cost nothing.

Instead we pay to bring in Clarke, who will be 30, halfway through 2017-18.
  • Options

Cheltenham forward Billy Watters signed with Northampton.

Was a free signing.

Scored 12 and 11 the last two seasons in all competitions. Only 22 years old. Was their POY last year.

Would have been a nice addition with good upside. Bummed we didn't even consider him given it would have cost nothing.

Instead we pay to bring in Clarke, who will be 30, halfway through 2017-18.

Again, if we wanted him we probably would've heard. If we didn't want him it's as simple as that.
  • Options
    Yeah but who is this "we" you are talking about? RD? KM? KR?

If it is the first two people, I distrust them to the depth of my soul. If it is KR, all he seems to want or know is former MK Dons players. So how valuable is that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's some high-quality due diligence, there!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

cfgs said:

seth plum said:

Jesus, here we go again.

http://www.kentlive.news/charlton-athletic-s-billy-clarke-i-didn-t-meet-karl-robinson-admits-addicks-new-signing/story-30382438-detail/story.html

Charlton Athletic's new striker Billy Clarke revealed he never met Karl Robinson prior to signing for the club - only having the briefest of chats.

"I was at a wedding in Ireland and I think Karl was at a wedding too," said Clarke. "He rang me and we spoke for about five minutes. He hasn't said anything to me about what he expects from me. He just said 'look forward to seeing you soon'.
    Here we go again..........
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

cfgs said:

seth plum said:

Jesus, here we go again.

http://www.kentlive.news/charlton-athletic-s-billy-clarke-i-didn-t-meet-karl-robinson-admits-addicks-new-signing/story-30382438-detail/story.html

Charlton Athletic's new striker Billy Clarke revealed he never met Karl Robinson prior to signing for the club - only having the briefest of chats.

"I was at a wedding in Ireland and I think Karl was at a wedding too," said Clarke. "He rang me and we spoke for about five minutes. He hasn't said anything to me about what he expects from me. He just said 'look forward to seeing you soon'.
    You really couldn't make it up. Surely as a player you would want to know where the manager sees you playing, what sort of system he plans on playing etc etc. But no, in reality it's, how long a contract? How much money? Where's the pen?
    Indeed. Straight out of the Curbs book of signing suitable players - not!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I'm assuming we've done all the prep and KR just needed to speak to him rather than meet him and interview him.
    Doesn't sound to me like a player forced upon him - I believe it's KRs choice of player

Don't think that's what anyone was getting at. Doesn't it seem strange to you they apparently didn't even talk about how he would fit into KRs system, the attitude he wants to see in his players etc.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I'm assuming we've done all the prep and KR just needed to speak to him rather than meet him and interview him.
    Doesn't sound to me like a player forced upon him - I believe it's KRs choice of player

Hire many people after a 10 minute chat on the phone?
  • Options
    I can see why this makes people feel uneasy about how recruitment is managed given the regimes appalling track record and the spin from Meire about "our first choice in this position" (why is the CEO telling us this not the manager?).

But it's one comment from a player. Tarbuck has seen him play at least twice this season v MK Dons and us and most likely other times live and on TV.

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Wouldn't assume anything with this bunch of idiots. Complete joke of a club.
  • Options

I can see why this makes people feel uneasy about how recruitment is managed given the regimes appalling track record and the spin from Meire about "our first choice in this position" (why is the CEO telling us this not the manager?).

But it's one comment from a player. Tarbuck has seen him play at least twice this season v MK Dons and us and most likely other times live and on TV.

But I thought we had all this new criteria for signing players? The most important being 'hunger and desire to play for Charlton'.

Did KR measure his desire via a phone call from a wedding?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worth pointing out that Sanogo had a decent scoring record at Auxerre for a teenager and was prolific at French youth level so a gamble at 19k a week is nothing to Arsenal. Some of these players (like Anelka) work out, some (like Sanogo) do not.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Both weddings were noisy, Karl was pressed for time too, at his end he was distracted by the offer of a vol a vent and asked 'any good?', Billy at the other end said 'I'm the best man'.
    Deal done.
  • Options
    Nug said:

Swisdom said:

If their career was on tv every week, is seen him play agai st me many times and I'd tried to recruit him previously then it's safe to say I'd already know a fair bit about him.

If he was signing from some noddy 3rd rate Belgian team I'd question it
  • Options
    Its feels stranger that a player is signing without discussing plans with the Manager in depth; Robinson has probably given KM a list of players he wants and is leaving them to it (gulp)
  • Options

But I thought we had all this new criteria for signing players? The most important being 'hunger and desire to play for Charlton'.

Did KR measure his desire via a phone call from a wedding?
    Thomas Driesden measured his 'hunger and desire' via football manager. :smiley:
  • Options
    Nug said:

Swisdom said:

Nug said:

Swisdom said:

If their career was on tv every week, is seen him play agai st me many times and I'd tried to recruit him previously then it's safe to say I'd already know a fair bit about him.

If he was signing from some noddy 3rd rate Belgian team I'd question it
    Can't see you questioning much about our glorious leaders.
    Can't see you changing that record any time soon.

• Options
    I would like to think that KR has had a chat with Steve Gallen our Head of Recruitment, about the players he wants and SG has worked with KM to get them. SG may have had a chat with any new players and agents about what is wanted and possible financial levels, (fee and wages), before the player is signed. Obviously KR will need to talk to any new players before signing, but at any decent run club, most of the talk is done before he comes to the club
  • Options
    I read page 1, 45 and this one and decided I really can't be arsed for the first time in my 43 years as an Addick.