Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Options
    sam3110 said:

Pedro45 said:

sam3110 said:

Pedro45 said:

Of course, we may well have "signed" some players, but cannot announce them until their contracts expire and they can sign on a Bosman. Marshall, Reeves, Ball, and others could all come under this category?

You can announce them at any time, look at Solanke at Liverpool for instance
    You can, with agreement, but often they are not. And I doubt very much that we will or could sign any or all of the above - it's just that these are players who "could" be announced on 1st July under such an arrangement..
    There's no way in hell we'd be holding out until the 1st to announce signings, and why would the team the player in question is leaving care when it's announced? They'll already have announced what players are leaving at the end of their contracts. We'll sign 2 players this week IMO, and both will be underwhelming names to some, and will get slagged off by a few before kicking a ball in anger
    Maybe because they have season tickets of their own to sell.

Let's face it Holmes is probably going to leave but all the while he is still our player we can continue to leak stories about offering him a new deal and believing that he will sign it.

I haven't looked but I suspect that MK Dons are still trying to get their fans to believe that Reeves might stay with them.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Pedro45 said:

sam3110 said:

Pedro45 said:

Of course, we may well have "signed" some players, but cannot announce them until their contracts expire and they can sign on a Bosman. Marshall, Reeves, Ball, and others could all come under this category?

You can, with agreement, but often they are not. And I doubt very much that we will or could sign any or all of the above - it's just that these are players who "could" be announced on 1st July under such an arrangement..
    There's no way in hell we'd be holding out until the 1st to announce signings, and why would the team the player in question is leaving care when it's announced? They'll already have announced what players are leaving at the end of their contracts. We'll sign 2 players this week IMO, and both will be underwhelming names to some, and will get slagged off by a few before kicking a ball in anger

Let's face it Holmes is probably going to leave but all the while he is still our player we can continue to leak stories about offering him a new deal and believing that he will sign it.

I haven't looked but I suspect that MK Dons are still trying to get their fans to believe that Reeves might stay with them.
    difference is though that Holmes is in contract

• Options
    Swisdom said:

Players are in for fitness tests, management are back from holidays. I think things will ramp up this week - not just for us but in general

Ever the optimist.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Pedro45 said:

sam3110 said:

Pedro45 said:

Agreed, but in reality he will leave if he wants to. Maybe the club signing the player out of contract can announce it anytime they want to but they don't out of respect.

I wasn't saying that it has to stay a secret, just that I can see why the club the player is leaving would want to keep it quiet. It could even affect their negotiating position with other transfers.

I can also see why a player would be tempted to wait until the end of July - he is still being paid until then and he can use the time to push his wages up by having his agent touting him around.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Pedro45 said:

sam3110 said:

Pedro45 said:

Agreed, but in reality he will leave if he wants to. Maybe the club signing the player out of contract can announce it anytime they want to but they don't out of respect.

I wasn't saying that it has to stay a secret, just that I can see why the club the player is leaving would want to keep it quiet. It could even affect their negotiating position with other transfers.

I can also see why a player would be tempted to wait until the end of July - he is still being paid until then and he can use the time to push his wages up by having his agent touting him around.
    Sorry, but you are completely wrong. No clubs delay announcing their signings & if you take a look at the football transfer section on the BBC website you'll find around 50 signings already since the end of April. It matters not one jot that their contracts run out on the 30th June & signings can be announced whenever the contract has been agreed. I would imagine any player worth his salt would want to sign before the end of June, so at least he will get paid by a club in July.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Players are in for fitness tests, management are back from holidays. I think things will ramp up this week - not just for us but in general

Ever the optimist apologist.
    ;-)
  • Options
    dizzee said:
    I have always rated him but we have a surfeit of centre half's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dickplumb said:

dizzee said:
    I have always rated him but we have a surfeit of centre half's.
    2 of which will probably leave next week & with Lennon not yet fully fit will leave us signing Roger Johnson again
  • Options
    Good solid player who is strong in the challenge and comfortable on the ball.
    Good luck Terell hope you make the 1st team at Wigan.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Pedro45 said:

sam3110 said:

Pedro45 said:

Sorry, but you are completely wrong. No clubs delay announcing their signings & if you take a look at the football transfer section on the BBC website you'll find around 50 signings already since the end of April. It matters not one jot that their contracts run out on the 30th June & signings can be announced whenever the contract has been agreed. I would imagine any player worth his salt would want to sign before the end of June, so at least he will get paid by a club in July.
    Fair enough.

However, I meant end on June for players signing. I knew that the contracts ended on 30th June. I meant I can understand why they would keep playing clubs off until the last day of their current deal.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:
    If we lose Tex as we wish to, and Bauer as I suspect we might then what CB's do we have...? Pearce, Lennon, Konsa (but seems more of a midfielder)...
  • Options
    Tex and Bauer will be off, don't be surprised if they sell Konsa by the end of the season. That leaves Pearce, who spent most of last season injured.
  • Options

Tex and Bauer will be off, don't be surprised if they sell Konsa by the end of the season. That leaves Pearce, who spent most of last season injured.

yes but he's not injury prone so I think we can forget last season's problems.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

yes but he's not injury prone so I think we can forget last season's problems.
    This is Charlton remember. No player is injury prone before they join us. Either way, we need more centre halves.
  • Options
    A reasonable CB wouldn't be hard to find if necessary, especially with the high wages I imagine Tex, RJ and Bauer have been on.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

We know our manager is wedded to a system that relies a number 10. We don't have one. It's a long season and if we want success we will need two to cover injuries/form etc. Sounds a decent squad player at least.

I loathe this number 10 nonsense. We haven't had one since Paolo Di Canio. Our successful teams have always played 442 and worked their nads off; as long as you have mobility in central midfield , it's perfectly doable
    John Major, being a bit of a character, he loathed inflation.
    Me, I loathe The Moody Blues, always have.
    But Number 10s? To me they mean Rodney Marsh or Stan Bowles, Sheringham or yes, Paulo di Canio.
    What's not to like?!

• Options
    Don't think we should be selling centre halves, unless we are sure Bauer and Tex aren't leaving.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

Don't think we should be selling centre halves, unless we are sure Bauer and Tex aren't leaving.

I don't think we're selling him. Isn't he out of contract
  • Options
    Best post on this thread is the above advert for Paw Patrol. Genius TV
  • Options
    It almost feels like we've given up.
  • Options

It almost feels like we've given up.

A change in ownership with owners who want the best for Charlton that they can acheive will the difference. That's all we want.

• Options
    Cetainly starting to get concerned about our transfer activity when Robinson seems happy to give Ajose another chance.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/25638/charlton-boss-message-striker-ajose-ended-last-season-loan-swindon/

Perhaps Ajose does deserve another crack but being more cynical, I think his transfers are not coming off and money is becoming an issue.
  • Options
    Milton Keynes Dons
    Bowditch Dean Peter
    Burns Charlie Peter John
    (o) Lewington Dean Scott
    Martin David Edward
    Maynard Nicholas David
    Powell Daniel
    (o) Reeves Benjamin Neil
    Tshimanga Kabongo

Our shopping list then
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Milton Keynes Dons
    Bowditch Dean Peter
    Burns Charlie Peter John
    (o) Lewington Dean Scott
    Martin David Edward
    Maynard Nicholas David
    Powell Daniel
    (o) Reeves Benjamin Neil
    Tshimanga Kabongo

Our shopping list then

pretty sure Daniel Powell has signed for someone else, Lewington has accepted new terms