Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Options

cfgs said:

Did Clarke play when Bradford beat Chelsea in the cup?

Just looked it up. Came on as a last min sub and got booked.
    So he was instrumental in gaining the shock win.
  • Options
    It's a start but I feel it will be one step forward, two back with our recruitment this summer

ie Clarke in, Holmes out
  • Options
    I know it's poor form to rubbish a signing before he's signed. But that is massively underwhelming for a supposed big fish in the third division.
    It'll go from underwhelming to outrage if he's the 'good news' to Holmes joining Sheffield United.
  • Options
    Not impressed by Clarke , a shit version of Novack . League Two here we come .
  • Options
    Great article - unless its my download it leaves you on the edge.........I want to know more !
  • Options
    The usual mantra is to give a new player a chance before writing him off.
    Although underwhelmed by the prospect surely that still holds true?
    The same as getting over excited by a new signing too.
    What is the usual allowance, five games, eight games, ten games?
    I would start to judge after about 6 games personally, although I am still undecided about JFC and he has played more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Clarke isn't that underwhelming compared to what we have had over the last few years.

Brings bit of experience, is consistent in this division. Impact wise hopefully more like Magennis less like Novak.

Can play Out Wide, no10 or striker. He has been reliable for Bradford. He also has the experience of winning and a strong mentality playing a part in 4 promotions with different sides.

We need more attacking midfielders/playmakers who technically sound with good vision and I welcome Reeves.
  • Options
    What's going to be the story with Ajose?
  • Options

Valley11 said:

I know it's poor form to rubbish a signing before he's signed. But that is massively underwhelming for a supposed big fish in the third division.
    It'll go from underwhelming to outrage if he's the 'good news' to Holmes joining Sheffield United.

On the other hand we're buying a player from a Top 6 club in L1, and for that matter a club of relatively similar size. I think we can only really judge this when we get to the end of August and see who else we've bought and who we've sold

on the other hand we are buying a forward player who doesn't score goals who has his best years behind him for a six figure fee from a club who will be a promotion rival (he he ha ha) who obviously don't consider him good enough for such a team.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    AddickRam said:

I think Clarke isn't that underwhelming compared to what we have had over the last few years.

Brings bit of experience, is consistent in this division. Impact wise hopefully more like Magennis less like Novak.

Can play Out Wide, no10 or striker. He has been reliable for Bradford. He also has the experience of winning and a strong mentality playing a part in 4 promotions with different sides.

We need more attacking midfielders/playmakers who technically sound with good vision and I welcome Reeves.

We didn't sign Reeves ?
  • Options

Bit weird when we were signing foreign crap nobodies people were saying we need British based proven players in the league we're in, in Clarke, that's exactly what we're getting, he's been in a Bradford team that's probably punched above its weight the last few seasons, I'm not saying he's a quality world beater but can he be worse than what we have?

Not saying he will be of course he can. We've sold good players and signed lesser players every year under RD.
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

Clarke is a bit like Reeves, except he's older, can't shoot and doesn't score many goals.

Let's hope we've not got him instead of Reeves. Quite likely though.

Sorry CE don't agree with you at all, Reeves is quality, only seen Clarke a couple of times and he looks useful but nowhere near the cultured player that is Reeves.
    Err, that's what I was saying wasn't it ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:

If we get Reeves and keep Holmes we've done well. If we get Marshall as well, that will be real intent.

I like you @Redhenry but shouldn't this be in the joke thread (no, not this one)?
  • Options
    We desperately need to improve our attacking options, particularly attacking options who can play centrally.

Clarke, at 29, doesn't exactly fit the mold of young and hungry that I'd like to see us sign, but we will need depth. As mentioned above, bringing in Reeves and maybe Mavididi or Marshall we would look very good in the attacking 3 behind the striker. Joe Aribo is still around too, of course.

Clarke is not a world beater, but sometimes signings are made in random order. Last summer it was Ajose, Novak, and Holmes in first. The former two didn't do a whole lot despite being heralded in this league. Let's hope we can get a bit more out of Clarke.
  • Options
    KR bemoaned the amount of chances we were missing last season, Clarke may be a decent player but I doubt he will remedy that.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

We know our manager is wedded to a system that relies a number 10. We don't have one. It's a long season and if we want success we will need two to cover injuries/form etc. Sounds a decent squad player at least.

I loathe this number 10 nonsense. We haven't had one since Paolo Di Canio. Our successful teams have always played 442 and worked their nads off; as long as you have mobility in central midfield , it's perfectly doable
    Spot on!
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

If we get Reeves and keep Holmes we've done well. If we get Marshall as well, that will be real intent.

Whereas in reality, we'll probably kick off the season without any of them.
  • Options

Redhenry said:

I like you @Redhenry but shouldn't this be in the joke thread (no, not this one)?
    haha, I said if, unlikely I know @Bolderhumphreyreid
  • Options

Bit weird when we were signing foreign crap nobodies people were saying we need British based proven players in the league we're in, in Clarke, that's exactly what we're getting, he's been in a Bradford team that's probably punched above its weight the last few seasons, I'm not saying he's a quality world beater but can he be worse than what we have?

Agree that Bradford have punched above their weight.

But surely this point translates as: 'Bradford are a playoff-level team has been doing better than the quality of their players would suggest'?

We're discussing buying one of those players.
  • Options
    Good squad signing only we don't do squads we do 1st team and the kids