Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Swisdom said:

All incomings have been ok Karl's wish list. He is calling the shots.

I think some of the criticism of this comment has been unfair. I do believe every signing made has been a player Robinson wanted, there just hasn't been enough of them!
    So just the first sentence is correct then. That last one is not.
  • We will not finish higher than 11th. Fact.
  • We will not finish higher than 11th. Fact.

"Hey Junior, you want sum'in?
    Slush Puppie Daddy
    I ain't got time for that crap"

Sorry couldn't resist, am bored WFH
  • Swisdom said:

He's wanted 2 keepers since May. Rudd was preferred but he chose Preston. Rudd said there are times that the fans can piss players off when they are being told they are not fit to wear the shirt or are just shit in general. No idea of that played a part in his decision or if it was more about money.

David Martin clearly had other options to try out as he didn't go on the second trip to Ireland.

The fact he then came back but has not featured in either of the friendlies tells me there is something not right. Robinson knows all about his ability and presumably all about his salary so I would guess he is either out of our budget and a long negotiation is happening or we are looking elsewhere.

Phillips has re-established himself a bit since the ireland trip where he did himself no favours but I'm sure something will happen this week

So did we offer Rudd a permanent deal? Are we really blaming fans for a goalkeeper choosing a stable Championship club that finished in the top half of the league last season over one of the most poorly run clubs in this country?

And to confirm your earlier post, he has been told that KM will decide on the forward because she doesn't want Mavididi?
    Not sure if we offered him a contract but I jokingly said "Enjoy yourself at Preston next season" and he laughed as if it was a done deal but then he went on to sign another contract at Norwich I think. Very odd! this was in May btw

No - Karl said he wanted a wide player, Mavididi specifically and KM thought a striker was a more urgent requirement. We all know we want both but then we don't know the budgets.

• Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

He's wanted 2 keepers since May. Rudd was preferred but he chose Preston. Rudd said there are times that the fans can piss players off when they are being told they are not fit to wear the shirt or are just shit in general. No idea of that played a part in his decision or if it was more about money.

David Martin clearly had other options to try out as he didn't go on the second trip to Ireland.

The fact he then came back but has not featured in either of the friendlies tells me there is something not right. Robinson knows all about his ability and presumably all about his salary so I would guess he is either out of our budget and a long negotiation is happening or we are looking elsewhere.

Phillips has re-established himself a bit since the ireland trip where he did himself no favours but I'm sure something will happen this week

So did we offer Rudd a permanent deal? Are we really blaming fans for a goalkeeper choosing a stable Championship club that finished in the top half of the league last season over one of the most poorly run clubs in this country?

And to confirm your earlier post, he has been told that KM will decide on the forward because she doesn't want Mavididi?
    Not sure if we offered him a contract but I jokingly said "Enjoy yourself at Preston next season" and he laughed as if it was a done deal but then he went on to sign another contract at Norwich I think. Very odd! this was in May btw

No - Karl said he wanted a wide player, Mavididi specifically and KM thought a striker was a more urgent requirement. We all know we want both but then we don't know the budgets.

She should trust his judgement, he's the manager.

I wonder if a GK will be a loan or permanent.
  • Swisdom said:

I think some of the criticism of this comment has been unfair. I do believe every signing made has been a player Robinson wanted, there just hasn't been enough of them!
    Well he is calling the shots regarding players we sign, but not budget
  • Sponsored links:

• Of course Rudd chose Preston over us, in the same way he would almost certainly have chosen Preston over Blackburn or Wigan, most players want to play in the highest league and biggest clubs they can manage. This is someone who played several times in the PL in 2015/16

The Martin and Reeves situation is bizarre, both have managed to go all summer without new clubs. I can only assume that they are after more money than clubs have been prepared to offer

• Swisdom said:

Well he is calling the shots regarding players we sign, but not budget
    Not if he's not allowed to sign Mavididi
  • 122 new posts and most doing a budget Paxman on poor old @Swisdom

Striker is key, but now Marshall is out for a while a more general attacker like Mavididi fits the bill.

The biggest concern is at GK for me.
  • 'Karl was very keen on Mavididi but KM wants another striker'

Am I missing something here? Mavididi is a striker isn't he?!!!!

maybe it's that she wants a different striker? Maybe one that has struck a strike into the inside back of the net on a regular basis.

(I feel I had to clarify on the inside and back of the net as all our strikers are fantastic at hitting the side, top and back of the net, just never on the inside of the goal)
  • edited July 2017
    I can see Meire's point with Mavididi though :) LOL - I mean how many goals did he score for us? We rave about his terrific run where he failed with the final but most important part of actually putting the ball in the net. I think goals are what is goingto hold teh team back next year, so it might be worth trying to bring some into the side. Mavididi may be the solution, but it would be a risk!
  • I can see Meire's point with Mavididi though :) LOL - I mean how many goals did he score for us? We rave about his terrific run where he failed with the final but most important part of actually putting the ball in the net. I think goals are what is goingto hold teh team back next year, so it might be worth trying to bring some into the side. Mavididi may be the solution, but it would be a risk!

In fairness he looked pretty decent in every appearance. But the goals were missing, after something of a pre-season with Arsenal surely that's improved...
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Can't deny that the signings were quite likely his choices, but there's no way he's calling the shots. We're 10 days from the start of the season and we don't have a main goalkeeper, and less than 24 hours ago KR said he was told he can no longer get a right back in.
    Goalkeeper should be in this week. Whoever suggested he was told he couldn't have one because we have Dillon is wrong.

He wasn't told he can't have a backup to Solly. Read his quote in full- Anfernee's performance told him he doesn't need another fullback

When asked about Dijksteel’s display at right-back, Robinson said: “I’ve just been told I don't need another one! “Why would I want to go and find another full-back if he’s performing like that? He was exceptional against Norwich."

Mavididi is seen as a wide player who can play up front - but he is unproven at this level. There is a ridiculous level of potential but that doesn't guarantee goals. He could be Thierry Henry-esque or he could be Ali Dia
    Dijksteel is unproven at this level too and one performance in a friendly means diddly squat. I saw Paul Bacon have a good game once. All our back up can't be unproven youngsters with potential.

Looks like you weren't there last night.

Norwich are a top club and fielded a full strength team.

He played out of his skin and only just missed with a peach of a shot towards the end.
  • Swisdom said:

The morons behind the goal at Northampton away probably didn't help that situation as Rudd was given dogs abuse after letting in a brilliant header from Smith that no keeper was likely to save!
  • Leaving aside Rudd's financial terms with Preston and the opportunity to play in the Championship, there was the small matter of the transfer fee paid to Norwich after they activated their option to extend his contract. The fee that Preston paid was reported at £1million, a sum that Duchatelet would never contemplate paying.

A bit of barracking behind the goal at Northampton is, in all probability, totally irrelevant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Blucher said:

Leaving aside Rudd's financial terms with Preston and the opportunity to play in the Championship, there was the small matter of the transfer fee paid to Norwich after they activated their option to extend his contract. The fee that Preston paid was reported at £1million, a sum that Duchatelet would never contemplate paying.

A bit of barracking behind the goal at Northampton is, in all probability, totally irrelevant.

I wouldn't pay £1m for Rudd either! Perfectly decent keeper, but didn't really stand out for me as being that good
    Agreed. Rudd is a decent keeper but, in terms of paying transfer and/or signing on fees, we have other areas requiring more urgent attention
  • edited July 2017
  • Was about to post this, that page tends to take stories from elsewhere but I've noticed it's pretty reliable.
  • Was about to post this, that page tends to take stories from elsewhere but I've noticed it's pretty reliable.
    At last a rumour hallelujah
    Yeah normally what they tweet has some truth to it, think HITC are reporting as well now. Wouldn't mind Akinde from Barnet coming with him