Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Swisdom said:

Some will go an a GK. Likely this week.

I know Karl was very keen on Mavididi whereas KM wants another striker.
    Whether we get both remains to be seen but Arsenal wouldn't release Mavididi until the end of their pre-season tour

KM is well out of her depth as a football club CEO and has made some unbelievable decisions in the past. But I think she is right on this one!
    I'd focus efforts on (1) a GK and (2) a prolific goal scorer (if such a thing can be found for what we want to spend - but no idea what that is).

After that then a winger (Stewart for now ?). Then look at the balance and maybe a loan or 2. On the evidence of pre-season we have some strong players coming through who should definitely get a chance this season.
  • cafc-west said:

Swisdom said:

Whether we get both remains to be seen but Arsenal wouldn't release Mavididi until the end of their pre-season tour

KM is well out of her depth as a football club CEO and has made some unbelievable decisions in the past. But I think she is right on this one!
    I'd focus efforts on (1) a GK and (2) a prolific goal scorer (if such a thing can be found for what we want to spend - but no idea what that is).

After that then a winger (Stewart for now ?). Then look at the balance and maybe a loan or 2. On the evidence of pre-season we have some strong players coming through who should definitely get a chance this season.
    the inference is that Robinson wants Mavadidi but KM wants another striker, ie a different one that Robinson doesn't want. Robinson isn't saying he doesn't want/need a striker. Personnel wise what she wants shouldn't matter one iota as long as Robinson's preference is within budgets etc.

• 'Karl was very keen on Mavididi but KM wants another striker'

Am I missing something here? Mavididi is a striker isn't he?!!!!
  • cafc-west said:

Swisdom said:

the inference is that Robinson wants Mavadidi but KM wants another striker, ie a different one that Robinson doesn't want. Robinson isn't saying he doesn't want/need a striker. Personnel wise what she wants shouldn't matter one iota as long as Robinson's preference is within budgets etc.

I'm glad you've read that the same as me Large. I thought I was going mad.
  • Swisdom said:

All incomings have been ok Karl's wish list. He is calling the shots.

Can't deny that the signings were quite likely his choices, but there's no way he's calling the shots. We're 10 days from the start of the season and we don't have a main goalkeeper, and less than 24 hours ago KR said he was told he can no longer get a right back in.
  • Swisdom said:

Can't deny that the signings were quite likely his choices, but there's no way he's calling the shots. We're 10 days from the start of the season and we don't have a main goalkeeper, and less than 24 hours ago KR said he was told he can no longer get a right back in.
    and he's telling us so we know that once again a Manager is being hamstrung by RD when trying to assemble a squad good enough for promotion.

I actually think Phillips deserves the shot at the number one slot but we need an older, wiser, experienced head as back-up/competition. We can't rely on Beeney if Dillon get's injured despite how good he may be in the future.
  • Swisdom said:

or being set up to take the blame when the inevitable happens.
  • Whether we or Meire agrees with him or not, you have to back the manager and bring in the players he wants subject to finances - When you decide you know better, you have the wrong manager or you are wrong. One of the problems - one - there are many I know - is that they think they know more than the managers they appoint.
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Goalkeeper should be in this week. Whoever suggested he was told he couldn't have one because we have Dillon is wrong.

He wasn't told he can't have a backup to Solly. Read his quote in full- Anfernee's performance told him he doesn't need another fullback

When asked about Dijksteel’s display at right-back, Robinson said: “I’ve just been told I don't need another one! “Why would I want to go and find another full-back if he’s performing like that? He was exceptional against Norwich."

Mavididi is seen as a wide player who can play up front - but he is unproven at this level. There is a ridiculous level of potential but that doesn't guarantee goals. He could be Thierry Henry-esque or he could be Ali Dia
    So you've got KR who has already had Mavididi at the club, seen what he is capable of and where he can play, but apparently KM knows better. Awesome.
  • There's not many strikers we could sign that would guarantee goals. Considering we play a lone striker that narrows down who we could bring in, as they need to be able to play that role. Taking a chance on a young Prem striker may turn out to be the best option.
  • edited July 2017

Swisdom said:

KM has an opinion....maybe she's listened to supporters or maybe she's seen it for herself...or spoken to the management team. For what it's worth it's also an opinion pretty much everyone shares so not worthy of a drama.

We all want both but what we can afford is something different. Seems like Karl is pushing Novak but I have yet to see anything from him that convinces me he's up to it

Meires opinions have cost this football club money, points and supporters the last 4 years. She should either keep them to herself or just do what we all want and fuck off.
    And there lies the problem Gary, we all know in the past that KM & RD have meddled in team affairs and despite assurances it does not happen or will not happen again, nothing changes.

Robinson is the regimes mouthpiece, he may ask for certain players but he gets what he is given.

All those on here crying out for "cover in this position" and "cover in that position" should know from past experience that this regime do not spend unnecessarily on players or big squads.

If a player gets injured in a key position we get a Belgium third division player drafted in or an emergency loan player.

Hold on, that was in the old days before they learned from their mistakes !
  • edited July 2017
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Goalkeeper should be in this week. Whoever suggested he was told he couldn't have one because we have Dillon is wrong.

He wasn't told he can't have a backup to Solly. Read his quote in full- Anfernee's performance told him he doesn't need another fullback

When asked about Dijksteel’s display at right-back, Robinson said: “I’ve just been told I don't need another one! “Why would I want to go and find another full-back if he’s performing like that? He was exceptional against Norwich."

Mavididi is seen as a wide player who can play up front - but he is unproven at this level. There is a ridiculous level of potential but that doesn't guarantee goals. He could be Thierry Henry-esque or he could be Ali Dia
    But to confirm your earlier post, he has been told that KM will decide on the forward because she doesn't want Mavididi?
    Swisdom said:

• Sponsored links:

• We need another striker, Magennis plays on the left for NI
  • I don't think we will get a striker in. I think we'll end up with a winger (Not Stewart) a GK and a Prem loan in August.
  • edited July 2017
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Can't deny that the signings were quite likely his choices, but there's no way he's calling the shots. We're 10 days from the start of the season and we don't have a main goalkeeper, and less than 24 hours ago KR said he was told he can
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

But he 's told he's not getting a RB & he's told that KM wants a striker ................. yes I can see how he's calling the shots
    Once again

That's not the full quote.
  • He's wanted 2 keepers since May. Rudd was preferred but he chose Preston. Rudd said there are times that the fans can piss players off when they are being told they are not fit to wear the shirt or are just shit in general. No idea of that played a part in his decision or if it was more about money.

David Martin clearly had other options to try out as he didn't go on the second trip to Ireland.

The fact he then came back but has not featured in either of the friendlies tells me there is something not right. Robinson knows all about his ability and presumably all about his salary so I would guess he is either out of our budget and a long negotiation is happening or we are looking elsewhere.

Phillips has re-established himself a bit since the ireland trip where he did himself no favours but I'm sure something will happen this week
  • LouisMend said:

Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Can't deny that the signings were quite likely his choices, but there's no way he's calling the shots. We're 10 days from the start of the season and we don't have a main goalkeeper, and less than 24 hours ago KR said he was told he can
    Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

But he 's told he's not getting a RB & he's told that KM wants a striker ................. yes I can see how he's calling the shots
    Once again

That's not the full quote.
    I know but I was in a changing room and don't have a value player on my phone. That quote was from the website though.

I think we all know sometimes Robinson says things without thinking them through - this is one of many examples of this

• Swisdom said:

He's wanted 2 keepers since May. Rudd was preferred but he chose Preston. Rudd said there are times that the fans can piss players off when they are being told they are not fit to wear the shirt or are just shit in general. No idea of that played a part in his decision or if it was more about money.

David Martin clearly had other options to try out as he didn't go on the second trip to Ireland.

The fact he then came back but has not featured in either of the friendlies tells me there is something not right. Robinson knows all about his ability and presumably all about his salary so I would guess he is either out of our budget and a long negotiation is happening or we are looking elsewhere.

Phillips has re-established himself a bit since the ireland trip where he did himself no favours but I'm sure something will happen this week

don't worry Rudd it works both ways. He wasn't that good anyway.

• Swisdom said:

He's wanted 2 keepers since May. Rudd was preferred but he chose Preston. Rudd said there are times that the fans can piss players off when they are being told they are not fit to wear the shirt or are just shit in general. No idea of that played a part in his decision or if it was more about money.

So did we offer Rudd a permanent deal? Are we really blaming fans for a goalkeeper choosing a stable Championship club that finished in the top half of the league last season over one of the most poorly run clubs in this country?

And to confirm your earlier post, he has been told that KM will decide on the forward because she doesn't want Mavididi?
  • Swisdom said:

Not just Roger Johnson then?
    Are we talking about an anti (some) fan player culture here?