Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Ross said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Redrobo said:

Scoham said:

With page out for a significant time we basically have 1 rb and 1 lb in the squad. I think we still need an experienced utility full back who can cover both sides...

Solly and Barnes doing that will probably be enough from RDs point of view.
    And I tend to agree. But if DaSilva breaks down early season (he hasn't had a break all summer) we have nothing. And if Solly has his usual 2 months out and Barnes doesn't hit the ground running we are going to struggle. If feel much more comfortable if we brought in someone like chicksen who can cover both sides.
    Konsa, Lennon, Barnes, Paige, Solly, and now DaSilva. More than enough cover for a league 1 club and I feel any money would be better spent elsewhere.
    All these people quoting Konsa and Lennon as cover at full back. FFS!! Have any of you seen either of them play at fullback? Christ on a bike!! Johnny Jackson with asthma on one leg would be less scary. Neither EK nor HL is as good as Lewis Page and I can think of no lower benchmark, with the dishonourable exception that was Matt Fry, who we got from WetSpam for a terrifying few months who latterly was released by Conference South side Dartford cos he was ill equipped at that level.

Cover for both FB's is urgently required.
    I see your Matt Fry and raise you with Dan Seabourne
    Federico Bessone, Gary Borrowdale

There seems to be a running theme with left backs here....
    Borrowdale done a job tbf and took a decent corner.

Bessone was OK as well
  • Scoham said:

Wouldn't be surprising if any of Sarr, Novak, Watt or even Crofts left so that makes sense. Not sure we'll sign a striker unless one of Novak or Watt leaves.

I wouldnt be surprised if Kashi went but i hope not

• I reckon Novak would be hard to shift as well. 6k p/w or whatever it is. Can't see anyone our level paying that. He's def not championship material
  • Given the high wages we have gotten off the books and that we are looking to get rid of 1-2 more (leaving us with a first team squad of around 20?) surely we can invest in more than 3 more players that are of a decent quality?

We only currently have 1 loan player (Da Silva), will we be propping up the squad with a few loans on top of the 2-3 more signings?
  • I can see it now come May, Nobby Sarr, POTY!
  • Redhenry said:

Haha. The club prefer sending the kids to non league clubs because they can be recalled quicker.

That's a consequence of abolishing emergency loans. Previously we could have sent say KAG or RCC to Barnet for a month or two, knowing that we could recall him if we had injuries. Now any loans to league clubs have to be between transfer windows, making them much more of a long term commitment for both sides.

I assume these rules don't apply to National League clubs?
    Correct, doesn't apply to teams outside of the Football League.

I get why they abolished emergency loans. But to me it seems to hurt our younger players. It would be great if after the cups finish we could send RCC or Dijksteel out for a couple months to play senior football in League Two, which I think both are ready for. But we can't, and we need to make a decision if it's better for our younger players to train with the senior team and play in the League and Silly Cups rather than the chance of them playing regularly for a few months, and risk the fact that we may need them due to injuries.
  • Thank fuck for that it's not strong enough as it is
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd personally like to see Karl make bolder decisions by letting go of Novak and giving our forward line the revamp it needs (even replacing him with someone like Lee Erwin would improve us) BUT I respect him for backing and trying to build the confidence of players that have so far failed to deliver at Charlton (Sarr earlier in the week and now Novak).

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15428318.Clubs_ask_Robinson_about_availability_of_striker_as_Charlton_boss_explains_reason_for_slow_start/

Let's hope his loyalty and patience doesn't cost him his job and us another season in league one. Magennis will not play every game (we dont have the internationals to call off games this season) and if Novak doesn't do it when called on this yr we will fail again because of the same problem as last year.....our inability to score enough goals.
  • Might be a case that he can go once a replacement can be signed.
  • I thought KR wanted to get rid of players who didn't want to be at the club or who just weren't good enough. So to find out nobody else is leaving must mean some of those are still there. Its not going to be a good season if they still have an influence on the team.
  • Or it means no one wants to leave? Or at least that no one wants to buy those players.
  • Or it means that Robinson knows he will not get a replacement for anyone who leaves and it's safer to 'stick than twist'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Robinson has twice loaned out Ajose and kept Novak, I'm sure he sees Novak as one of his strikers for this season
  • I think Novak is better, and slimmer, that most fans give him credit for.

If anyone is leaving I think it will be Watt and/or Sarr.

Novak is an intelligent player. Gets himself into good positions but the service wasn't always there last season.
    Agree and has scored goals before.
  • I think Novak is better, and slimmer, that most fans give him credit for.

If anyone is leaving I think it will be Watt and/or Sarr.

Novak is an intelligent player. Gets himself into good positions but the service wasn't always there last season.
    Agree and has scored goals before.
    Weren't a lot of his Chesterfield goals penalties? I just see him as another Paul Hayes. Nice bloke but not good enough to be the 2nd striker in a promotion team. Powell brought Yann in because he knew that about Hayes. I just hope KR does the same. Magennis and Novak is nowhere near the level needed (BWP & Yann calibre) to get promoted.
  • Leuth said:

Magennis isn't good enough? Fucksake

Magennis is going to have a rival in the articulate interview stakes at Charlton, and that threat comes from an emerging Aaron Barnes who interviews very well too.

Andrew Crofts has bagged the 'King of the Cliché' jersey for as long as he wants to stay.

We need another striker but not because Magennis isn't good enough by the way.