Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• edited July 2017

'Hopefully 1 or 2 things can excite fans over the weekend' is the exact quote. Even more direct than I thought, sounds more like things will happen, hopefully fans will excite them rather than hopefully it'll happen full stop.

well I was quite excited when I managed to get my Ed Sheeran tickets. Thanks KR.
  • Da Silva starts for England U19 tonight.

Well if we do sign him on loan at least we know he will be match fit.
    kanckered you mean
  • I didn't hear KR say it would be a signing that would excite fans, he might have been taking about the revealing of kit for the friendlies next week.

It's not his fault the kit didn't generate much excitement...............
  • I reckon KR just took a look at the weather forecast and thought we'd all be happy with a BBQ and some beers whilst sunning ourselves in the glorious British summer.
  • Micheal Boswick likes a goal or two as well

Said the below on the squad list thread a few days ago.

Goalkeepers

Dillon Phillips 2018

need one in

Right Backs

Chris Solly 2020

probably need one although Barnes seems to be considered part of the squad

Centre Backs

Harry Lennon 2018
    Patrick Bauer 2019
    Jason Pearce 2020 - Contract extension from 2019
    Ezri Konsa 2020
    Jorge Teixeira 2020
    Naby Sarr 2020

We have enough here although can see Tex and or Bauer leaving in which case they need replacing. Lose Sarr

Left Backs

Lewis Page 2019

Need one minimum where's Chicksen?

Central Midfielders

Andrew Crofts 2018
    Johnnie Jackson 2018 (Player/First Team Coach)
    Ahmed Kashi 2018
    Joe Aribo 2019
    Jake Forster-Caskey 2019

depending on how Kashi is viewed within the squad and whether he is around this year we may have enough. 1 more needed of Kashi isn't there.

Wide Midfielders

Ricky Holmes 2018
    Cristian Ceballos 2018
    Mark Marshall 2019 - Signed from Bradford City as free agent
    Terique Fosu 2019 - Signed from Reading for undisclosed fee

pretty happy with this. Personally I'd lose Ceballos and sign Stewart

Number 10/CAM
    Billy Clarke 2019 - Signed from Bradford City for undisclosed fee

Need one more (ease be Reeves)

Strikers

Josh Magennis 2018
    Tony Watt 2018
    Lee Novak 2019
    Karlan Ahearne-Grant 2019
    Nicky Ajose 2019
    Igor Vetokele 2019 - Loaned to STVV for 2017/8 season

Unsure on this one. On the face of it we have numbers but only really Magennis and Novak fit KR's system. I reckon KAG will be used more out wide in that system. So can only teally justify one squad place for Watt or Ajose if a different system is favoured.

So I make that:
    GK (Martin?)
    Rb (if Barnes not ready, isn't Wilson available?)
    Lb (maybe 2, Dasilva, is Edwards ready?)
    CB if Tex or Bauer leave
    CM if Kashi not ready or not around
    Winger (Stewart)
    No 10 (Please Reeves)
    Striker (and lose one of Ajose/Watt)

Dumbing down my expectations because time is getting on and there seems to be a distinct lack of activity I reckon we need:

Gk
    LB
    Winger

Reckon Barnes and Konsaa will be rb cover, seems like Bauer and Tex will be here until their contracts run down. They're making a lot of Kashi so I assume he will be here.

Mavididi would be a good acquisition as he played mostly his games for us out wide last year but he could be 3rd choice for the lone striker role in the 4231 behind Magennis and Novak. As I think Watt/Ajose will be used as impact subs or if we want to change formation.

I'd be very happy with

Martin
    DaSilva
    Stewart (or another)
    Reeves
    Mavididi

I wouldn't! Need a prolific striker really! But is there one out there?
  • 'Hopefully 1 or 2 things can excite fans over the weekend' is the exact quote. Even more direct than I thought, sounds more like things will happen, hopefully fans will excite them rather than hopefully it'll happen full stop.

I agree, and he never said might.
    England won the Test match by 5.30 pm sunday - the guys a soothsayer !!
  • Magennis is back in training this weekend
  • Sponsored links:

• This Reeves thing is getting very boring now, he's left himself in a position where if the deal doesn't come from us/Sheffield United/Burton that leaves him unattached or accepting the contract from MK. If we have a list of back up options like Robinson said, surely we should be moving onto those pretty sharpish?

Lemme fix your post.......

"This transfer thread is getting very boring now, we've left ourselves in a position where if the deal doesn't come through, we are angry and disappointed, again. That leaves our emotions unattached or accepting bulls#t from KR or RD. If we have a list of back up options from the National League or semi-pro, surely we should be moving onto those pretty sharpish?"
  • uie2 said:

Micheal Boswick likes a goal or two as well

Goalkeepers

Dillon Phillips 2018

need one in

Right Backs

Chris Solly 2020

Centre Backs

Harry Lennon 2018
    Patrick Bauer 2019
    Ezri Konsa 2020
    Jorge Teixeira 2020
    Naby Sarr 2020

We have enough here although can see Tex and or Bauer leaving in which case they need replacing. Lose Sarr

Left Backs

Lewis Page 2019

Central Midfielders

Andrew Crofts 2018
    Ahmed Kashi 2018
    Joe Aribo 2019
    Jake Forster-Caskey 2019

depending on how Kashi is viewed within the squad and whether he is around this year we may have enough. 1 more needed of Kashi isn't there.

Wide Midfielders

Ricky Holmes 2018
    Cristian Ceballos 2018

Number 10/CAM

Strikers

Josh Magennis 2018
    Tony Watt 2018
    Lee Novak 2019
    Nicky Ajose 2019

Unsure on this one. On the face of it we have numbers but only really Magennis and Novak fit KR's system. I reckon KAG will be used more out wide in that system. So can only teally justify one squad place for Watt or Ajose if a different system is favoured.

So I make that:
    GK (Martin?)
    CB if Tex or Bauer leave
    Winger (Stewart)
    No 10 (Please Reeves)

Dumbing down my expectations because time is getting on and there seems to be a distinct lack of activity I reckon we need:

Gk
    LB
    Winger

Reckon Barnes and Konsaa will be rb cover, seems like Bauer and Tex will be here until their contracts run down. They're making a lot of Kashi so I assume he will be here.

Mavididi would be a good acquisition as he played mostly his games for us out wide last year but he could be 3rd choice for the lone striker role in the 4231 behind Magennis and Novak. As I think Watt/Ajose will be used as impact subs or if we want to change formation.

I'd be very happy with

Martin
    DaSilva
    Stewart (or another)
    Reeves
    Mavididi

I'm not so sure. Think Magennis is good enough and Novak will surprise a few this year. With the formation Karl likes to play the inside forwards (wingers) and number 10 are expected to contribute plenty of goals. 4 or 5 players contributing 10 over the season is better than 1 players getting 20.
    This.

And I think Josh could be a 20 goal/season man at this level with the right service. Last year he fed on scraps a lot of the time and did a lot of chasing shadows and hoofs up to him with no one around him.

To answer the first question, I don't think there is a reasonably priced forward out there who will guarantee you 20 goals and can play up front on his own. I'm not a big fan of Novak's, but I think he's about par for the course in terms of what you can expect to get.
  • SDAddick said:

uie2 said:

Goalkeepers

Dillon Phillips 2018

need one in

Right Backs

Chris Solly 2020

Centre Backs

Harry Lennon 2018
    Patrick Bauer 2019
    Ezri Konsa 2020
    Jorge Teixeira 2020
    Naby Sarr 2020

Left Backs

Lewis Page 2019

Central Midfielders

Andrew Crofts 2018
    Ahmed Kashi 2018
    Joe Aribo 2019
    Jake Forster-Caskey 2019

Wide Midfielders

Ricky Holmes 2018
    Cristian Ceballos 2018

Number 10/CAM

Strikers

Josh Magennis 2018
    Tony Watt 2018
    Lee Novak 2019
    Nicky Ajose 2019

So I make that:
    GK (Martin?)
    CB if Tex or Bauer leave
    Winger (Stewart)
    No 10 (Please Reeves)

Gk
    LB
    Winger

I'd be very happy with

Martin
    DaSilva
    Stewart (or another)
    Reeves
    Mavididi

I'm not so sure. Think Magennis is good enough and Novak will surprise a few this year. With the formation Karl likes to play the inside forwards (wingers) and number 10 are expected to contribute plenty of goals. 4 or 5 players contributing 10 over the season is better than 1 players getting 20.
    This.

And I think Josh could be a 20 goal/season man at this level with the right service. Last year he fed on scraps a lot of the time and did a lot of chasing shadows and hoofs up to him with no one around him.

To answer the first question, I don't think there is a reasonably priced forward out there who will guarantee you 20 goals and can play up front on his own. I'm not a big fan of Novak's, but I think he's about par for the course in terms of what you can expect to get.
    Better than Pawel Abbott anyway.

Surprised to see that people seem to think Konsa will be with us this season.
  • SDAddick said:

uie2 said:

Goalkeepers

Dillon Phillips 2018

need one in

Right Backs

Chris Solly 2020

Centre Backs

Harry Lennon 2018
    Patrick Bauer 2019
    Ezri Konsa 2020
    Jorge Teixeira 2020
    Naby Sarr 2020

Left Backs

Lewis Page 2019

Central Midfielders

Andrew Crofts 2018
    Ahmed Kashi 2018
    Joe Aribo 2019
    Jake Forster-Caskey 2019

Wide Midfielders

Ricky Holmes 2018
    Cristian Ceballos 2018

Number 10/CAM

Strikers

Josh Magennis 2018
    Tony Watt 2018
    Lee Novak 2019
    Nicky Ajose 2019

So I make that:
    GK (Martin?)
    CB if Tex or Bauer leave
    Winger (Stewart)
    No 10 (Please Reeves)

Gk
    LB
    Winger

I'd be very happy with

Martin
    DaSilva
    Stewart (or another)
    Reeves
    Mavididi

This.

Not even a sniff of a rumour about Konsa so far. I feel if he was interested in moving and it had got to this point in the summer with no progress his agent would leak it to try and make it happen. If there was genuine interest it would have come out as the club leaks more than a sieve.
  • I think it's best Konsa stays with us anyway. Hard to see him starting anywhere above this level.
  • but easy to see him signed by Spurs, Everton etc on a long deal and loaned out for experience.
  • I think if the likes of spurs, Everton etc were really after Konsa they would have got him by now.lets face it if they offered 2 or 3 million for him Roland would accept, the fact they haven't made a bid tells me they are not that interested.
    I think he is staying.
  • Scoham said:

We've heard it all before but apparently this time Holmes is close to signing a deal.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/26823/exclusive-charlton-closing-new-deal-ricky-holmes/

Hopefully this was the news that was expected at the weekend.....and maybe confirmed later today.
  • I think Konsa will start the season with us but won't be surprised if Roland cashes in by the end of January.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think it's best Konsa stays with us anyway. Hard to see him starting anywhere above this level.

I think he would get in to a number of lower half championship teams.
  • https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/26823/exclusive-charlton-closing-new-deal-ricky-holmes/

"Charlton are moving closer to agreeing a new deal with Ricky Holmes.

Sheffield United have pushed hard to try and land the 30-year-old winger but their approaches have been rebuffed by the Addicks.

And the South London Press has been told that Holmes is very close to penning improved terms."
  • Maybe Holmes was waiting for assurances of better players coming in and maybe they are now?
  • I'll take this with a pinch of salt. Jon Ackworth is RC's source ...
  • it's been very close since the end of the season so wouldn't hold your breath anyone
  • I love being the disappointed optimist.
  • SDAddick said:

uie2 said:

Goalkeepers

Dillon Phillips 2018

need one in

Right Backs

Chris Solly 2020

Centre Backs

Harry Lennon 2018
    Patrick Bauer 2019
    Ezri Konsa 2020
    Jorge Teixeira 2020
    Naby Sarr 2020

Left Backs

Lewis Page 2019

Central Midfielders

Andrew Crofts 2018
    Ahmed Kashi 2018
    Joe Aribo 2019
    Jake Forster-Caskey 2019

Wide Midfielders

Ricky Holmes 2018
    Cristian Ceballos 2018

Number 10/CAM

Strikers

Josh Magennis 2018
    Tony Watt 2018
    Lee Novak 2019
    Nicky Ajose 2019

So I make that:
    GK (Martin?)
    CB if Tex or Bauer leave
    Winger (Stewart)
    No 10 (Please Reeves)

Gk
    LB
    Winger

I'd be very happy with

Martin
    DaSilva
    Stewart (or another)
    Reeves
    Mavididi

This.

Maybe you know something we don't, but as stated above, I think if Konsa were going to a significantly bigger club there would at least be rumors at this point. It's entirely possible a Championship club will come in for him later in the summer, but I fancy our chances far more against a Forest or Derby than against Everton or Arsenal. Perhaps I'm being naive. Certainly after winning the U-20 World Cup I thought there would be more desire for his services, but so far, nothing.