Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• RedChaser said:

razil said:

I think the point Red is trying to make is that appointing untried, untested coaches or managers will invariably lead to failure regardless. The most important position at any football club is first team coach. You appoint the very best available not take punts on cheap albeit enthusiastic alternatives. We have under RD appointed a catalogue of punts and documented failures. What you get is more failure. At least Robinson has a bit of a track record at this level.

I don't think either Powell or Riga, and possibly even Peters could be called untried, untested coaches, but none were effectively supported, and all 'failed' /weren't retained.
    Even at the point where Powell was dismissed he was hardly experienced. As for Peeters and Riga i would suggest that both were punts. Massive punts.

Personally I think Roland is a massive punt.
    Oxford punt ? :smiley:
    Berkeley Hunt.
  • razil said:

This focus on KM is misplaced. She is obviously a very capable, although inexperienced, woman with many attributes that many businesses would be very happy to have on board. She was only appointed to the role because of some personal/family connection. The one appointment that RD got wrong, again and again, and the one that really scuppered his network model idea of running several football clubs in European leagues by recycling players and managers around, is that of first team head coach. If he had committed to hiring top tier experienced head coaches, from Europe or the UK, with a successful track record who could bring in their own coaching, medical and support staff, I feel sure his experience of owning Charlton would not have turned into such a nightmare. RD is solely to blame for those appointments. If he had appointed a proper football CEO with football experience you could apportion some of the blame to that CEO. The major damage to Charlton over the last 4 years has been the result of shit football manager appointments (jury still out on Robinson) not an inexperienced CEO.

Fortunately, a professional football club is not like other businesses. You can't do a "Ratners" on a football club. Much damage has been done to the 'Charlton' brand over the last 4 years or so but the fact remains they are still a professional football club in the third tier of the English football leagues, two promotions away from the Premiership, owning their own Premiership ready stadium and a Premiership standard training ground, with a hardcore fan base (although admittedly severely reduced), located in a part of London that will benefit from improved transport links and many new homes in the near future.

(Apologies if someone has already made this point..)

Disagree: RD's whole strategy is misplaced in the first place, thus whomever is coach will fail because

a) budgets are restrained unrealistically, rigid and self defeating
    b) players aren't commodities - network players simply don't settle well in other leagues/countries automatically, some don't even like different regions of England as we well know..
    c) the first two would prevent any coach of decent level joining the club

Thus it is Il Duche's execution of his strategy before even hiring a coach that is the main flaw

To make a Network work, well go up the road to Watford and take a look. Perhaps if you are willing to invest sensibly in players you will have a chance, and then if you are lucky you may get some 2nd or 3rd chance players in the Network.

If you want to properly undertake the player farm approach which I assume is what you are getting it, not really sure the Network helps one iota, but lets think about that for a moment.

In that instance with a properly funded expanded academy, fans onside for the long haul, a first team that was competitive in the Championship, along with a pragmatic transfer budget to keep you at that level, then decent coaches who were proven and properly resourced, perhaps. But KM proved she is incapable of helping with that journey on a number of fronts.

Looking forward, my own personal view is that Charlton's USP for success in a very competitive game is its unique fan and club relationship.

With the fans fully invested with some kind of ownership we could be filling the ground eventually, and make best use of the resources we have as a club.

The current owners have taken that process so far in the wrong direction now, perhaps irreparably, perhaps for a generation, that any new owners will have to be very radical in their approach.

Well written and incisive post Razil. Totally agree with your view and for me this is the post of the year!
  • cafcfan said:

RedChaser said:

razil said:

I think the point Red is trying to make is that appointing untried, untested coaches or managers will invariably lead to failure regardless. The most important position at any football club is first team coach. You appoint the very best available not take punts on cheap albeit enthusiastic alternatives. We have under RD appointed a catalogue of punts and documented failures. What you get is more failure. At least Robinson has a bit of a track record at this level.

I don't think either Powell or Riga, and possibly even Peters could be called untried, untested coaches, but none were effectively supported, and all 'failed' /weren't retained.
    Even at the point where Powell was dismissed he was hardly experienced. As for Peeters and Riga i would suggest that both were punts. Massive punts.

Personally I think Roland is a massive punt.
    Oxford punt ? :smiley:
    I prefer berk. Purely because its usage became so common. It is, of course, rhyming slang. Berkeley Hunt being the full version. Anyway, Roland is a berk.
    Clearly that was dreamed up by someone who could not pronounce the word Berkeley properly. If proper pronunciation was used they would be called a Bark rather than a Berk :wink:
  • Getting tired of these new owners already.

An era of indecision, inactvity and uncertainty ahead.
  • edited October 2017

So Roland buys a classic car and then runs it into the ground to the extent that the engine needs replacing just to return it to the state that it was in when he bought it.
    He comes to sell the car but now the bodywork is f##ked too. Does he get the original cost plus the cost of the engine repairs? No, he doesn't because of the state of the bodywork means that it is worth less than the price at which he bought it.
    Get real Roland. Why should anyone else pay for your failures?

All of that is true unless the car is so desirable that sooner or later someone will pay the price for it and/or if he is quite happy to keep the car and throw just enough money at it to drive is one weekend a month.

The sad truth is that when dealing with people that have so much money you can't force them to do anything they don't want to do. He could easily decide to sell all the players, The Valley and the training ground take a hit and get on with his life without the money he lost have any, real, consequence to him at all. I would image that a fair comparison would be if one of us owned an old car that we don't drive but we paid £2k for it and we have been offered £50 for it. My Mum has a BMW on her drive that she is never going to drive again and because no one is willing to pay her what she thinks it's worth it will sit there depreciating until she dies at which point I suspect I'll have to pay someone to tow it away. That is so illogical and irresponsible but my Mum doesn't need the £350 she has been offered for it enough to back down. She is not worth £800m.

I completely agree with you about your logic I just don't think that Roland, necessary, thinks like us.
    The problem with that argument is that the assets are worth more with the football club as a going concern. He isn't going to get the money he's wasted back easily from selling CAFC, but he'll get even less by conducting a fire sale of assets, as he is bound to have worked out. It's of no advantage to him to do so, even supposing there is a buyer for the land without planning consent for development.

Meanwhile, the debt ticks up. You can stall it for a while on relegation by selling off the better players and you can add some value to the business by getting promoted back to the Championship, but the costs of staying there will offset the extra revenue. The outcome is more and more debt and less and less chance of recovering it in a sale.
    If I knew what all those numbers were, including the best offer he's received to sell, I'd probably agree with you. On the basis that I don't, and you probably do, I certainly agree with you.

My point, however, was that with the money he has he doesn't need to get back what he put in to starve of a personal financial crises. He has plenty of other money and he could afford to, even if he doesn't want to, write off all the debts, walk away and still never run out of money before he, and probably, all his children and grandchildren die.

That is why it is not, automatically, likely that he will make the decision that makes financial sense only, like most of us on here would. Most people that I know with that kind of money (and, realistically a lot less) don't like to lose, or be dictated to. That is why if he insists on getting all his money back and no one will pay it he can hold on to the club or break it up. This is why it is quite possible that he will never let 'these vinegar pissers' tell him what he has to do!
  • razil said:

This focus on KM is misplaced. She is obviously a very capable, although inexperienced, woman with many attributes that many businesses would be very happy to have on board. She was only appointed to the role because of some personal/family connection. The one appointment that RD got wrong, again and again, and the one that really scuppered his network model idea of running several football clubs in European leagues by recycling players and managers around, is that of first team head coach. If he had committed to hiring top tier experienced head coaches, from Europe or the UK, with a successful track record who could bring in their own coaching, medical and support staff, I feel sure his experience of owning Charlton would not have turned into such a nightmare. RD is solely to blame for those appointments. If he had appointed a proper football CEO with football experience you could apportion some of the blame to that CEO. The major damage to Charlton over the last 4 years has been the result of shit football manager appointments (jury still out on Robinson) not an inexperienced CEO.

Fortunately, a professional football club is not like other businesses. You can't do a "Ratners" on a football club. Much damage has been done to the 'Charlton' brand over the last 4 years or so but the fact remains they are still a professional football club in the third tier of the English football leagues, two promotions away from the Premiership, owning their own Premiership ready stadium and a Premiership standard training ground, with a hardcore fan base (although admittedly severely reduced), located in a part of London that will benefit from improved transport links and many new homes in the near future.

Disagree: RD's whole strategy is misplaced in the first place, thus whomever is coach will fail because

b) players aren't commodities - network players simply don't settle well in other leagues/countries automatically, some don't even like different regions of England as we well know..

Thus it is Il Duche's execution of his strategy before even hiring a coach that is the main flaw

To make a Network work, well go up the road to Watford and take a look. Perhaps if you are willing to invest sensibly in players you will have a chance, and then if you are lucky you may get some 2nd or 3rd chance players in the Network.

If you want to properly undertake the player farm approach which I assume is what you are getting it, not really sure the Network helps one iota, but lets think about that for a moment.

In that instance with a properly funded expanded academy, fans onside for the long haul, a first team that was competitive in the Championship, along with a pragmatic transfer budget to keep you at that level, then decent coaches who were proven and properly resourced, perhaps. But KM proved she is incapable of helping with that journey on a number of fronts.

Looking forward, my own personal view is that Charlton's USP for success in a very competitive game is its unique fan and club relationship.

With the fans fully invested with some kind of ownership we could be filling the ground eventually, and make best use of the resources we have as a club.

The current owners have taken that process so far in the wrong direction now, perhaps irreparably, perhaps for a generation, that any new owners will have to be very radical in their approach.

I think you misunderstood my post. I did not make any judgement call on whether the network idea was good or bad. I merely referenced the fact that building a network of clubs was his stated strategy and it failed. If he had lucked out and appointed Chis Wilder as manager in 2014 when Wilder joined Northampton the last few years would have been very different. And it would have been just as much a punt on Wilder then as it was on Riga, Luzon, Peters or Slade as like them Wilder's CV was not exactly full of worthwhile achievements. He made the right decision in trying to get him before he joined Sheffield United. My point has always been he should have appointed managers /coaches who have a minimum of 2 promotions with two different clubs in the last 10 years. That way you take some of the luck out of the equation.
  • So Roland buys a classic car and then runs it into the ground to the extent that the engine needs replacing just to return it to the state that it was in when he bought it.
    He comes to sell the car but now the bodywork is f##ked too. Does he get the original cost plus the cost of the engine repairs? No, he doesn't because of the state of the bodywork means that it is worth less than the price at which he bought it.

where's Mike Brewer & Ed China when you need them.
  • Sponsored links:

• So Roland buys a classic car and then runs it into the ground to the extent that the engine needs replacing just to return it to the state that it was in when he bought it.

where's Mike Brewer & Ed China when you need them.
    Not buying a car from Roland, that's for sure!
  • razil said:

I think you misunderstood my post. I did not make any judgement call on whether the network idea was good or bad. I merely referenced the fact that building a network of clubs was his stated strategy and it failed. If he had lucked out and appointed Chis Wilder as manager in 2014 when Wilder joined Northampton the last few years would have been very different. And it would have been just as much a punt on Wilder then as it was on Riga, Luzon, Peters or Slade as like them Wilder's CV was not exactly full of worthwhile achievements. He made the right decision in trying to get him before he joined Sheffield United. My point has always been he should have appointed managers /coaches who have a minimum of 2 promotions with two different clubs in the last 10 years. That way you take some of the luck out of the equation.
    perhaps but my point is there were so many flaws in the overriding strategy before consideration of who was at the helm that anyone would fail, that is if you could even attract someone of the calibre you talk about. I also dont think you can remove the Network or player farm strategies as they are or were critical in the clubs strategy but also in the hiring of the coach (as they would need to be bought in, and capable of bringing players into our league, and nurturing younger talent)

Sure its a circular argument to some extent, but take Powell as an example.

He was well resourced and backed, but also very inexperienced as a coach at that stage, however in a season and a half he won the league and broke records.
  • edited October 2017

So Roland buys a classic car and then runs it into the ground to the extent that the engine needs replacing just to return it to the state that it was in when he bought it.

All of that is true unless the car is so desirable that sooner or later someone will pay the price for it and/or if he is quite happy to keep the car and throw just enough money at it to drive is one weekend a month.

The sad truth is that when dealing with people that have so much money you can't force them to do anything they don't want to do. He could easily decide to sell all the players, The Valley and the training ground take a hit and get on with his life without the money he lost have any, real, consequence to him at all. I would image that a fair comparison would be if one of us owned an old car that we don't drive but we paid £2k for it and we have been offered £50 for it. My Mum has a BMW on her drive that she is never going to drive again and because no one is willing to pay her what she thinks it's worth it will sit there depreciating until she dies at which point I suspect I'll have to pay someone to tow it away. That is so illogical and irresponsible but my Mum doesn't need the £350 she has been offered for it enough to back down. She is not worth £800m.

I completely agree with you about your logic I just don't think that Roland, necessary, thinks like us.
    The problem with that argument is that the assets are worth more with the football club as a going concern. He isn't going to get the money he's wasted back easily from selling CAFC, but he'll get even less by conducting a fire sale of assets, as he is bound to have worked out. It's of no advantage to him to do so, even supposing there is a buyer for the land without planning consent for development.

Meanwhile, the debt ticks up. You can stall it for a while on relegation by selling off the better players and you can add some value to the business by getting promoted back to the Championship, but the costs of staying there will offset the extra revenue. The outcome is more and more debt and less and less chance of recovering it in a sale.
    If I knew what all those numbers were, including the best offer he's received to sell, I'd probably agree with you. On the basis that I don't, and you probably do, I certainly agree with you.

My point, however, was that with the money he has he doesn't need to get back what he put in to starve of a personal financial crises. He has plenty of other money and he could afford to, even if he doesn't want to, write off all the debts, walk away and still never run out of money before he, and probably, all his children and grandchildren die.

That is why it is not, automatically, likely that he will make the decision that makes financial sense only, like most of us on here would. Most people that I know with that kind of money (and, realistically a lot less) don't like to lose, or be dictated to. That is why if he insists on getting all his money back and no one will pay it he can hold on to the club or break it up. This is why it is quite possible that he will never let 'these vinegar pissers' tell him what he has to do!
    I agree that it won't break him but there is loss of face either way - metaphorical, of course!

And one way he cuts his losses - the other they get bigger and bigger as each year passes.

Scoham said:

cafc-west said:

Any chance the mods could adopt the same approach as with post match comments - when those comments from people who were actually there are made bold. Could comments that have some real relevance to the "imminent takeover" be emboldened...? Would save a lot of time for those only looking for some kind of update on the situation.

What about those that watched on iFollow?
    i talics
    Or Comic sans.
  • 6 hours since the last post. It’s off lads close the thread. :wink:
  • 6 hours since the last post. It’s off lads close the thread. :wink:

Nah we have all decided to save all our comments on this thread for when they will be "Yesssssss", "Yipppppeeeeee" or even "Thank @#$¥ he has finally gone".
  • I predict 1000 posts within 24 hours of the announcement that the f****** are leaving.
  • Redhenry said:

Not off again is it?

Now wouldn’t that be the most charlton thing ever
    It would I suppose mate.

That's if u think it was ever on in the first place!

Something is or was happening that I am certain how close how imminent how far they are going with it is open for interpretation,

I know that it’s not always a good thing to let the info out that has reached and I def don’t think it’s a good thing to mention things like who and how many potential sources there are

Imo it shows a great deal of miss trust and I would question the reasons why it was leaked to AB knowing it would go in the votv

I hope that it’s not trouble making by the person leaking
    That makes you the fifth source : - )

I always wonder why something leaks. Could be a negative or devious reason or just that football is a tiny village where everyone knows everyone and so interesting gossip gets passed on.

I believe it when @Redhenry confirms it :-)
    Haha just seen this @Henry Irving
    I do know that KM met a Chinese consortium at the end of last season. Haven't been told anything recently though.
    Chinese again. Means an avatar back pedal then.

• Sponsored links:

• A lot of unbelievably wealthy Chinese living in and or investing in Australia right now. Just saying.
  • My recent post on this thread mentioned a clip I was trying to find, an anti RD film set to the music of The Cave by Mumford and Sons. During the lull which hopefully precedes the final sale, any chance of being reminded where I can find it? I wanted to show it to my lad. Cheers.
  • edited October 2017

But yes she is certainly an intelligent woman who has acted stupid almost beyond belief.

That makes her stupid.
  • It can't be Chinese owners. Roland told us they know nothing about football remember.
  • But yes she is certainly an intelligent woman who has acted stupid almost beyond belief.
    That makes her stupid.

“The difference between genius and stupidity is: genius has its limits.”
    ― Alexandre Dumas fils

I think there is a tendency in many posts to confuse intelligence (which I agree, KM has) with common sense (which KM certainly lacks). Adding a large pinch of arrogance and a soupçon of naivety has given her a recipe for stupid mistakes & PR disasters.

I hate what Katrien has done to our club, and certainly want her no where near the governance of the game at EFL/FA, but hope for her sake that when - hopefully soon - she leaves The Valley for the last time, she will be able to make a fresh start in a job better suited to her abilities, & where she will be given proper support to grow her skills.
  • N01R4M said:

But yes she is certainly an intelligent woman who has acted stupid almost beyond belief.
    That makes her stupid.
    “The difference between genius and stupidity is: genius has its limits.”
    ― Alexandre Dumas fils

I think there is a tendency in many posts to confuse intelligence (which I agree, KM has) with common sense (which KM certainly lacks). Adding a large pinch of arrogance and a soupçon of naivety has given her a recipe for stupid mistakes & PR disasters.

I hate what Katrien has done to our club, and certainly want her no where near the governance of the game at EFL/FA, but hope for her sake that when - hopefully soon - she leaves The Valley for the last time, she will be able to make a fresh start in a job better suited to her abilities, & where she will be given proper support to grow her skills.

"Do you want fries with that" kind of guidance ?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!