Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• edited June 2018

"Quote" rel="The Red Robin">That lot on the other site getting in a right state about SCP potentially being manager. Love it.

I wonder what could possibly motivate all this furious opposition to the black manager Chris Powell?
    Hope that was a poor attempt at a joke
    No. How do you explain it? Most successful manager we’ve had for years, loves our club, loves the fans, all round lovely human being, and some people insist on hating him. Why?
    They don't like CharltonLife/CARD, i.e. many of the Charlton fans that see Powell as a legend and a good manager.

Addickted said:

"Quote" rel="The Red Robin">That lot on the other site getting in a right state about SCP potentially being manager. Love it.

I wonder what could possibly motivate all this furious opposition to the black manager Chris Powell?
    No. How do you explain it? Most successful manager we’ve had for years, loves our club, loves the fans, all round lovely human being, and some people insist on hating him. Why?
    I think that our squad was clearly a cut above that year, and I am yet to be convinced they were all players of his choosing.

You mean players like Bradley Wright-Philips, Danny Green, Danny Hollands, Dale Stephens, Matt Taylor, Rhoys Wiggins, Ben Hamer, Bradley Pritchard and of course Yann Kermorgant?

That lot can't hold a candle up to the likes of Nego, Parzyszek, Thuram, Koc, Tudgay

You've mis-understood.

I agree they are better players. Hence why we smashed the league....I'm not sure he recommended them all is I am saying.
    I thought he was tactically naive at times and don't think we currently have a squad like those years ago where that can be hidden by the fact it's the strongest squad.
    Why would that be a requirement? Of course he didn't do it on his own, but all managers should have plenty of help in that area from their coaching and scouting teams.

Morrison and Yann were at Leicester so he'd have known them. Yann was his best signing and Morrison one of the best.

I agree with those that said they'd be happy with Bowyer, Powell or Nathan Jones.
  • I wonder what will happen first, the takeover or the takeover thread actually being about the takeover
  • I wonder what will happen first, the takeover or the takeover thread actually being about the takeover

Sorry, have I missed something, what is this about a takeover?
  • Addickted said:

Addickted said:

I think that our squad was clearly a cut above that year, and I am yet to be convinced they were all players of his choosing.

You mean players like Bradley Wright-Philips, Danny Green, Danny Hollands, Dale Stephens, Matt Taylor, Rhoys Wiggins, Ben Hamer, Bradley Pritchard and of course Yann Kermorgant?

That lot can't hold a candle up to the likes of Nego, Parzyszek, Thuram, Koc, Tudgay

You've mis-understood.

I agree they are better players. Hence why we smashed the league....I'm not sure he recommended them all is I am saying.
    I thought he was tactically naive at times and don't think we currently have a squad like those years ago where that can be hidden by the fact it's the strongest squad.
    Pretty sure he did. In is own words...…

"My first six months gave me time to look at the squad. Time to see the disconnect between the club and the fans. There was a downbeat feeling that I knew we could change if we got the supporters on side. So, I asked everyone to trust me. I asked the supporters to trust me. And we made big changes.

That summer we signed 16 players. Building momentum It was a bold step but I felt I needed to do it. The club needed new heroes. A new way of thinking. People say that players need time to gel, but we put a lot of planning and foresight into our recruitment to make sure that time was as brief as possible. We made sure that the players we brought in could handle not only playing in League One, but that if things went well, could stay with us in the Championship.

I wanted players who I felt could grow organically, with the club.

Lots of "we's" in there. Doesn't say who identified them as targets in the first place before Powell said yes or no when it came to being a good fit with the squad dynamics.

The squad we have now, in my opinion, is decent but not proportionally better than the other teams as per last time around so Powell will either need to step up a gear from last time, or replace them.... and that leads to the question whether Gallen and his team as strong as Ventre and his team were

• JamesSeed said:

ross1 said:

I wonder what will happen first, the takeover or the takeover thread actually being about the takeover

Ok, it’s like this,
    a very long time ago, in a distant land....
    There was a Pot Noodle, a can of Red Bull and a peninsula.
  • Addickted said:

You've mis-understood.

some people will never be satisfied
    I wont be satisfied until Charlton win the Premier League and Champions League double.
  • JamesSeed said:

ross1 said:

I wonder what will happen first, the takeover or the takeover thread actually being about the takeover

Ok, it’s like this,
    Thank goodness it was you that answered, after I put it I thought, oh no, someone will try and put it all down :smiley:
  • Addickted said:

You've mis-understood.

some people will never be satisfied
    I wont be satisfied until Charlton win the Premier League and Champions League double.
    At least
  • edited June 2018

JamesSeed said:

ross1 said:

Ok, it’s like this,
    There was a Pot Noodle, a can of Red Bull and a peninsula.
    and a Sheila...
  • Sponsored links:

• So another day looks like slipping away. Hope it’s soon.
  • JamesSeed said:

ross1 said:

Ok, it’s like this,
    Australia?
  • Addickted said:

Addickted said:

You've mis-understood.

"My first six months gave me time to look at the squad. Time to see the disconnect between the club and the fans. There was a downbeat feeling that I knew we could change if we got the supporters on side. So, I asked everyone to trust me. I asked the supporters to trust me. And we made big changes.

That summer we signed 16 players. Building momentum It was a bold step but I felt I needed to do it. The club needed new heroes. A new way of thinking. People say that players need time to gel, but we put a lot of planning and foresight into our recruitment to make sure that time was as brief as possible. We made sure that the players we brought in could handle not only playing in League One, but that if things went well, could stay with us in the Championship.

Lots of "we's" in there. Doesn't say who identified them as targets in the first place before Powell said yes or no when it came to being a good fit with the squad dynamics.

The squad we have now, in my opinion, is decent but not proportionally better than the other teams as per last time around so Powell will either need to step up a gear from last time, or replace them.... and that leads to the question whether Gallen and his team as strong as Ventre and his team were

The squad needs rebuilding again whoever comes in. Several loanees gone, Konsa sold, possibly Kashi released and big weaknesses in various positions with the players left. Most of the squad are out of contract next summer, so decisions will need to be made in the near future about them all either way.
  • Scoham said:

They don't like CharltonLife/CARD, i.e. many of the Charlton fans that see Powell as a legend and a good manager.

Addickted said:

You've mis-understood.

Why would that be a requirement? Of course he didn't do it on his own, but all managers should have plenty of help in that area from their coaching and scouting teams.

Morrison and Yann were at Leicester so he'd have known them. Yann was his best signing and Morrison one of the best.

I agree with those that said they'd be happy with Bowyer, Powell or Nathan Jones.
    Maybe selecting the players isn't a requirement. As you say, coaching and scouting teams help - but will they be as strong this time around? Was it the previous coaching and scouting that GAVE CP the best team in the league to work with? Could we do that again?
    Are there 16 odd players from league 1 and on the fringes of Championship that we could attract & sign (times have changed considerably in the past couple of years) to repeat the same feat? Maybe...let's see.

I just don't see CP as the miracle worker that some others do.

No racism, no agenda, no WUMMING...Just not as hung up on Powell as some other fans

And just to get you all going...I think Curbs was partially to blame for our relegation from the Prem - but perhaps I'll leave that for another day :smile:
  • I'd like us to hire Chris Powell as manager.

But if someone can point to a former Charlton manager who has signed better players than Powell, overall, I would be happy if we hired that person instead.
  • edited June 2018
    Ground Hog thread
  • edited June 2018

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

You've mis-understood.

Can assure you that Jeff Vetere contributed very little. Wasn’t his level at all.
  • Chizz said:

I'd like us to hire Chris Powell as manager.

But if someone can point to a former Charlton manager who has signed better players than Powell, overall, I would be happy if we hired that person instead.

Why does the new manager have to meet that criteria then?
  • Addickted said:

Addickted said:

You've mis-understood.

Can assure you that Jeff Vetere contributed very little. Wasn’t his level at all.
    Powell and Phil Chapple.
  • Addickted said:

Addickted said:

You've mis-understood.

Will take your word on that - I have no idea at all. There were also rumours that D.Wise had a say in recruitment.

I guess in simple terms all I am saying is that just because CP smashed the league before, doesn't mean he will do so again. I believe it was the squad strength, not necessarily CP's managerial ability that got us promoted
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2018
    If SCP is coming back... Admin!

(Other makes available)
  • I know I had said I had gone completely nuts earlier, but the truth is I was holding a little bit back, just in case.
    So I am going to give it another hour, then I’m really going for it.
    I wont be able to bear it when the missus asks if the sale has really gone through this time. It will be the look of pity I’ll get that will send me over the edge.

• 3blokes said:

I know I had said I had gone completely nuts earlier, but the truth is I was holding a little bit back, just in case.
    So I am going to give it another hour, then I’m really going for it.
    I wont be able to bear it when the missus asks if the sale has really gone through this time. It will be the look of pity I’ll get that will send me over the edge.

I feel your pain brother!
  • edited June 2018
    Just surmising here, but now talk, on this thread, has turned to the recruitment abilities of CP (or not as the case may be) coupled with no 'Tweets', or update posts from those in the know, I don't suppose I'd be far wrong if I were to say " I doubt anything is happening today"!
    Therefore, we move onto tomorrow (if indeed an announcement is to be made before the World Cup starts) or Friday, or like every week (for the last god knows how long), it'll be happening next week, whenever next week is!!
    My concern is, if everything is supposedly now in place, what on earth is stopping an announcement being made? The new season gets ever closer, but, we as a club, lose more players each week with no signs of any replacements!! We could be really scraping the barrel, whoever the manager is, just trying to get a half-decent team together. My concern grows as each day passes now, and I fear we are falling too far behind our competitors. I so hope I'm wrong and plans are well-advanced to make sure we are in a good position to start pre-season, but I'm not holding my breath to be honest.
  • Could events elsewhere throw the whole takeover into chaos?

No
  • Chizz said:

I'd like us to hire Chris Powell as manager.

Why does the new manager have to meet that criteria then?
    He wouldn't have to. But if he did, I'd be happy if we signed him.
  • Another day hoping that the Takeover will go through. Another day disappointed. I really can't see it being done by the end of this week.

why would they?

• Just surmising here, but now talk, on this thread, has turned to the recruitment abilities of CP (or not as the case may be) coupled with no 'Tweets', or update posts from those in the know, I don't suppose I'd be far wrong if I were to say " I doubt anything is happening today"!
    Therefore, we move onto tomorrow (if indeed an announcement is to be made before the World Cup starts) or Friday, or like every week (for the last god knows how long), it'll be happening next week, whenever next week is!!
    My concern is, if everything is supposedly now in place, what on earth is stopping an announcement being made? The new season gets ever closer, but, we as a club, lose more players each week with no signs of any replacements!! We could be really scraping the barrel, whoever the manager is, just trying to get a half-decent team together. My concern grows as each day passes now, and I fear we are falling too far behind our competitors. I so hope I'm wrong and plans are well-advanced to make sure we are in a good position to start pre-season, but I'm not holding my breath to be honest.

We will get the players in January, as before, in desperation :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!