Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• edited June 2019
    Tell you what Fanny, if Bowyer goes I will seriously think about getting a passport and going to Belgium
  • cafc999 said:
    For the last few seasons some high ranking members of staff  have been saying the the club will be easier to sell when we are in the championship. I don't think so  
    I was certain that getting relegated would have helped get rid of these people easier, that did not work.
  • edited June 2019
    Redskin said:
    Redskin said:
    Seems we are back to micro analysing details without anyone really knowing whether those details are the real issue or not. 

Weve been in a similar round to this about 6 or 7 times over the last two years. I’ve absolutely no idea why some people wrap themselves up so much in it. 
    Probably because many of us realise that just chanting “support the team” isn’t much use in the medium term unless the owner does so as well.
    Well, Bowyer and the team seemed to think that supporting the team was was of considerable use to them.I don't recall them commenting on the use of 17,000 pages of gossip and conjecture on a Charlton forum...
    I think we can all agree the owner is of little use at all.
    Yes, in L1 where Charlton will always be competitive because about two thirds of the division are perennial strugglers. In the Championship that won’t cut it for very long, as a series of small clubs have found out.
    I think you may need to clarify this, because it reads that there is no point Charlton fans supporting the team above L1.
    No, it means that it won’t of itself enable the team to be successful. Some people seem to think that asking questions and exploring what is going on is somehow exclusive of or detracts from “supporting the team”. However as Redskin himself points out, Bowyer and the team are oblivious to this discussion. 

You can, if you want, stick your fingers in your ears and join RD is his delusion that having the lowest budget in the division (according to Bowyer) doesn’t mean we can’t get promoted. You can ignore the fact that teams with Charlton’s likely budget usually go down. But shouting louder at matches still won’t be a solution.

Jesus wept, you can be fully aware of the negligence of the owner and the damage being inflicted on the club and still support the team without thinking it's a solution to the problems.
    Of course you can - and I did, all over the country last season. I was responding to AFKA who has been arguing (see above) both that more people should go to matches and that discussing the takeover situation is pointless, to paraphrase. Obviously it’s entirely open to anyone what they do, I just find it a bit odd for the owner of a message board to argue that such discussion is pointless.

A resolution to the ownership situation is far more likely to assist Bowyer than extra support and while we certainly can’t deliver it we can expose lies and contradictions in Duchatelet’s position so that they don’t gain any traction.

i also wonder where “support the team” gets us if Bowyer isn’t retained, because of the ownership situation. Or will it just move on to Johnnie Jackson, Jose Riga or anyone else who turns up?
    Ah. That question I posed on Friday is asked yet again with still no clear cut indications as to how Lifers might react should Bow reject a derisory offer and decide to walk....followed by the out of contract players. 

It's certainly not something I want to dwell upon but with the end of June getting ever closer, sadly, it needs to be considered IMO. 

Yes, this will still be "our" club , but maybe in name only.

And with a new manager stepping into the unknown, with meagre resources  at his disposal, it's likely we would be on a hiding to nothing on the hallowed turf, week after week....

Wearing black & white, frequent chanting against the Rat and possibly displaying protest banners  would probably be the limit of an individual's show of anger. Would we be so depressed about the situation that most might either sit numbed to the core, silently in their seats , or indeed find something more positive to do on Saturday afternoons ? 

The stuffing would be knocked out of yours truly for sure. 

So, once again, I ask, how would YOU react if the unthinkable happens ?
    I don't think I can answer that until it actually happens and when I understand what is actually going on.
  • edited June 2019
    alangee said:
    Redskin said:
    Redskin said:
    Seems we are back to micro analysing details without anyone really knowing whether those details are the real issue or not. 

Weve been in a similar round to this about 6 or 7 times over the last two years. I’ve absolutely no idea why some people wrap themselves up so much in it. 
    Probably because many of us realise that just chanting “support the team” isn’t much use in the medium term unless the owner does so as well.
    Well, Bowyer and the team seemed to think that supporting the team was was of considerable use to them.I don't recall them commenting on the use of 17,000 pages of gossip and conjecture on a Charlton forum...
    Yes, in L1 where Charlton will always be competitive because about two thirds of the division are perennial strugglers. In the Championship that won’t cut it for very long, as a series of small clubs have found out.
    I think you may need to clarify this, because it reads that there is no point Charlton fans supporting the team above L1.
    No, it means that it won’t of itself enable the team to be successful. Some people seem to think that asking questions and exploring what is going on is somehow exclusive of or detracts from “supporting the team”. However as Redskin himself points out, Bowyer and the team are oblivious to this discussion. 

You can, if you want, stick your fingers in your ears and join RD is his delusion that having the lowest budget in the division (according to Bowyer) doesn’t mean we can’t get promoted. You can ignore the fact that teams with Charlton’s likely budget usually go down. But shouting louder at matches still won’t be a solution.

Jesus wept, you can be fully aware of the negligence of the owner and the damage being inflicted on the club and still support the team without thinking it's a solution to the problems.
    Of course you can - and I did, all over the country last season. I was responding to AFKA who has been arguing (see above) that more people should go to matches and that discussing the takeover situation is pointless, to paraphrase. Obviously it’s entirely open to anyone what they do, I just find it a bit odd for the owner of a message board to argue that such discussion is pointless.
    I don't think AFKA was saying not to discuss the takeover. Without speaking for him my interpretation of the point he was making was a very similar viewpoint to mine in that it does seem for about the umpteenth time we're all arguing with each other over whether a price has really been agreed or not and have The Aussies got the money? And I make AFKA correct it does almost feel like we are picking over quotes from the last 12 months where no doubt there is a mixture of spin, truth and lies in there and frankly it does get tedious and tiresome to keep re-reading it over and over.

There's probably an easier solution out there which would be to create a flow chart of all the possible theories that have been discussed over the last two years, 1672 pages and 51k comments to save reading the same arguments over and over again.
    Point is that things are moving, of which RD’s statement is one aspect, and there is some solid information coming into the public domain, with more likely to follow. So it’s not the case that we are simply going over old ground at all. Even if it feels like it!
    But do you think a hedge fund owner like SISU is preferable to RD ?
    Notwithstanding the fact that most Charlton fans want RD gone.

Who says it is a hedge fund that is supplying the money?

No one says it is a hedge fund. It's a discussion.

But if the new owners need clean title it may well be because the money is being borrowed and it won't be being borrowed from a bank.

So if it's being borrowed, but not from a bank, who is lending the money ?

If the purchase funds are not being borrowed, then the new owners may want clean title, but they don't need clean title.
  • Redskin said:
    Redskin said:

Of course you can - and I did, all over the country last season. I was responding to AFKA who has been arguing (see above) both that more people should go to matches and that discussing the takeover situation is pointless, to paraphrase. Obviously it’s entirely open to anyone what they do, I just find it a bit odd for the owner of a message board to argue that such discussion is pointless.

A resolution to the ownership situation is far more likely to assist Bowyer than extra support and while we certainly can’t deliver it we can expose lies and contradictions in Duchatelet’s position so that they don’t gain any traction.

i also wonder where “support the team” gets us if Bowyer isn’t retained, because of the ownership situation. Or will it just move on to Johnnie Jackson, Jose Riga or anyone else who turns up?
    Ah. That question I posed on Friday is asked yet again with still no clear cut indications as to how Lifers might react should Bow reject a derisory offer and decide to walk....followed by the out of contract players. 

It's certainly not something I want to dwell upon but with the end of June getting ever closer, sadly, it needs to be considered IMO. 

And with a new manager stepping into the unknown, with meagre resources  at his disposal, it's likely we would be on a hiding to nothing on the hallowed turf, week after week....

Wearing black & white, frequent chanting against the Rat and possibly displaying protest banners  would probably be the limit of an individual's show of anger. Would we be so depressed about the situation that most might either sit numbed to the core, silently in their seats , or indeed find something more positive to do on Saturday afternoons ? 

I don't think I can answer that until it actually happens and I think I understand what is actually going on.
    What you mean is that you don't want to think about it actually happening. 
  • 1673, Christopher Wren knighted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redskin said:
    Redskin said:

I don't think I can answer that until it actually happens and I think I understand what is actually going on.
    No, I meant what I said.
    I'm not going to start shouting that I'm off to Belgium again & then look foolish when it doesn't happen.
    I think it's better to deal in actuals at the time, than hypotheticals.
  • I’m predicting that this latest round of takeover mania will continue for another couple of days. Subside and briefly be revived on 27th June and then subside again until just before the season kicks off when we will be discussing the same issues that we have been discussing for at least 18 months.
  • 1672, Peter the Great born
    Is that Reeves or Shirtiff?
  • Redskin said:
    Redskin said:

No, I meant what I said.
    I'm not going to start shouting that I'm off to Belgium again & then look foolish when it doesn't happen.
    Nobody is asking you to go off to Belgium before anything happens. Fanny has given a hypothetical situation and has asked what people would do in that situation. 
  • edited June 2019

1672, Peter the Great born
    Varney 
  • Peter Out......like this takeover 
  • If there is a hedge fund I could make a substantial investment after an afternoon in the garden ....
  • Redskin said:
    Redskin said:

No, I meant what I said.
    Nobody is asking you to go off to Belgium before anything happens. Fanny has given a hypothetical situation and has asked what people would do in that situation. 
    What was your answer, I missed it ?
  • Sponsored links:

• 1672, Peter the Great born
    Obviously the Great Peter Garland.
  • Redskin said:
    Redskin said:

No, I meant what I said.
    I think looking foolish could be the least of our worries.....
  • Redskin said:
    Redskin said:

No, I meant what I said.
    I didn't post a response, you did. It would appear that you still don't want to consider that what Fanny is suggesting may come to pass. 

• Redskin said:
    Redskin said:

No, I meant what I said.
    I didn't post a response, you did. It would appear that you still don't want to consider that what Fanny is suggesting may come to pass. 

Give it a rest mate.
    I'm not sure why it's so important to you that I answer a hypothetical question, that you haven't answered and hardly anyone else has.
    Weird.
  • It seems to me that there is only one reason why the ex-director loans need to be repaid now.
    It is because whoever is providing the purchase funds needs it to be so.

This suggests that the purchase will be funded via a loan from perhaps a hedge fund the like of SISU who own Coventry and this will be secured by The Valley/Sparrows Lane.

If this is the case it is far from clear as to the merits of a new owner over the existing owner.

Some think that anyone is better than RD.

Some think like Brexit, just get it done, I'm past caring. 

I really don't know what to think

Absolutely spot on 
  • If the new owners want a clean title it’s only because they want the sole charge on the assets perfectly reasonable 

RD should pay the directors loans 

if he doesn’t then walk away why is the Land so pivotal to the process of your interested in the land more than the fact it’s a football club and one that you will never make a profit out of until you reach the premier league then you have to question why are you buying it 

fire and frying pan 
  • Takeover going well then 🙈🙉🙊
  • If the new owners want a clean title it’s only because they want the sole charge on the assets perfectly reasonable 

RD should pay the directors loans 

if he doesn’t then walk away why is the Land so pivotal to the process of your interested in the land more than the fact it’s a football club and one that you will never make a profit out of until you reach the premier league then you have to question why are you buying it 

fire and frying pan 
    Re-posted here from another thread:

Could it be that RD is playing a new game?

Trying to get ... or embarrass ... the ex-directors to accept a big discount - then he decides he doesn’t want to sell and takes the opportunity to obtain finance (or seek other opportunities) using the land as collateral?

I wouldn’t be surprised if he sees the land as his big chance to make money, and is using the proposed buyers as pawns in his game. 

Far-fetched? Maybe. But nothing would surprise me with this individual. 
  • Redskin said:
    Redskin said:

No, I meant what I said.
    Like a hypothetical hedge fund?
    Fair point, but I did make it clear that I wasn't saying it was a hedge fund.
    I said it was a discussion and no one was saying that it is a hedge fund.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!