Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• This quote from Bowyer is really quite significant - it means smaller than Millwall, Brentford, Barnsley, Preston, Wigan and Luton, for example, not exactly clubs we’d consider bigger than Charlton. 

https://twitter.com/richcawleyslp/status/1136945444825784320?s=21
    To be fair, they are a lot smaller than us and they need to spend big to try and catch up. Spending money you haven’t got doesn’t mean success, it just means you’ve spent more and got a bigger debt to pay back. LB proved last season that there are quality players out there that you don’t need to pay a transfer fee for. I’m all for repeating that model this season and if there is any money in the kitty to pay a transfer fee then I wouldn’t mention it because prices reflect what people think you can pay.
    In what way do those clubs need to 'catch up' with us? They all finished higher than us last season.
    So we gave them a head start last season and they are still no higher than us. Our biggest home crowd last season was probably bigger than theirs. The biggest crowd we played in front of last season was probably bigger then theirs.  The biggest home crowd at the valley next season will probably be bigger than theirs. The silverware we collected last season was probably more than most of them collected and definitely worth more financially. We are going to get promoted again next season, one or two of them will be relegated.
    You've got to be on a wind up surely?

What on earth have attendances got to do with anything? Did you not see Luton winning the league whilst Sunderland finished 5th?
    So are you saying Luton are a bigger club than Sunderland ? 
  • This quote from Bowyer is really quite significant - it means smaller than Millwall, Brentford, Barnsley, Preston, Wigan and Luton, for example, not exactly clubs we’d consider bigger than Charlton. 

https://twitter.com/richcawleyslp/status/1136945444825784320?s=21
    To be fair, they are a lot smaller than us and they need to spend big to try and catch up. Spending money you haven’t got doesn’t mean success, it just means you’ve spent more and got a bigger debt to pay back. LB proved last season that there are quality players out there that you don’t need to pay a transfer fee for. I’m all for repeating that model this season and if there is any money in the kitty to pay a transfer fee then I wouldn’t mention it because prices reflect what people think you can pay.
    In what way do those clubs need to 'catch up' with us? They all finished higher than us last season.
    So we gave them a head start last season and they are still no higher than us. Our biggest home crowd last season was probably bigger than theirs. The biggest crowd we played in front of last season was probably bigger then theirs.  The biggest home crowd at the valley next season will probably be bigger than theirs. The silverware we collected last season was probably more than most of them collected and definitely worth more financially. We are going to get promoted again next season, one or two of them will be relegated.
    You've got to be on a wind up surely?

What on earth have attendances got to do with anything? Did you not see Luton winning the league whilst Sunderland finished 5th?
    So are you saying Luton are a bigger club than Sunderland ? 
    Obviously not.

Just wondering why you started waffling on about attendances in response to your original point of other championship sides needing to "spend big to try and catch up".

Incidentally 3 of the 6 sides you mentioned who need to spend big to catch us had a higher average attendance than us last season.
  • edited June 2019
    cafcwill said:
    So in regards to these directors loans

For the 'Aussie' deal is it that have agreed a fee with Roland for the club but have negotiated that he sorts out the Directors Loans, or are the Aussies responsible for paying them.

Have any of the other parties offered to pay the Directors Loans as part of their 'deals'?
    The loans have to be sorted before the sale. Clean title. Because Roland didn’t do DD he wasn’t aware of the loans, which might be why he seems to be dragging his feet. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    cafcwill said:

For the 'Aussie' deal is it that have agreed a fee with Roland for the club but have negotiated that he sorts out the Directors Loans, or are the Aussies responsible for paying them.

Have any of the other parties offered to pay the Directors Loans as part of their 'deals'?
    The loans have to be sorted before the sale. Clean title. Because Roland didn’t do DD he wasn’t aware of the loans, which might be why he seems to be dragging his feet. 
    They don't need to be settled, they have rolled over twice already.  They only need to be sorted if the new owner insists on clean title.  If they do one may question why? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cafcwill said:

They don't need to be settled, they have rolled over twice already.  They only need to be sorted if the new owner insists on clean title.  If they do one may question why? 
    It might be because they want to be able to secure loans on the ground.  Or it might be because, given the choice of having clean title and not having clean title, they'd prefer the former.  
  • Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cafcwill said:

It might be because they want to be able to secure loans on the ground.  Or it might be because, given the choice of having clean title and not having clean title, they'd prefer the former.  
    From day one it was agreed club and grounds, and as far as I know, clean title. 
    Might have been because of advice from lawyers, or perhaps it was because of the can of worms they discovered while doing DD re the ownership issues from the Jiminez era. 
    I think they’re trying to do the right thing.
    Others who know more about takeovers than I do, say clean title tends to be the norm. 
  • 1665, The Great Plague kills around a quarter of London's population.
  • edited June 2019
    se9addick said:
    Gillis said:
    @JamesSeed loans by directors are costing us nowt. Don't need repaying until we get in the Prem. If I was an (older) creditor I'd bite RDs hand off for 50%.
    The loans aren't costing us anything, but if Roland not clearing them prevents the sale of the club, then it will cost him money, as he will have to continue to fund the running costs of the club.
    And it won't take long for the money that he has to put in to run the club to exceed the cost of clearing the loans. I don't have the figures, but I assume that would happen within one season.
    Therefore, by not clearing the loans and thus enabling the sale, he may well be costing himself more money in the long run.
    Is he really costing him money? I thought the losses were covered by loans from one of his other companies, with interest charged, and the debt these loans have created are driving the asking price for the club. 

Am I incorrect?
    Yes and no, the losses are being covered by loans he himself is paying, so the only way it's not going to cost him anything is if the sale price covers *all* existing debt, that would require the club to increase in value by 10/15m each year, clearly RD is going to have to write off huge amounts of money, or find a moron to buy the club.
    A moron...... why do you say that?
    Only a moron would pay c80m pounds for a business that loses 10m a year.

I don't actually think such a person exists, which is why the club remains for sale after all this time.
    There is one such person.

Unfortunately, he already owns the club.
    He paid less than 20 million for a championship side because the spivs needed a quick sale so forget about DD and sign on the dotted line. So not so moronic at that price. Plus he thought Fair play rules would keep his annual losses down and people would flock to the valley from all parts of London and knowing about football tourists who come to see 2 matches over a weekend would replace the over 65 fan base ! ( That was RD's logic not mine as voiced by Meire.)

In Greenwich mean time in June 2019, Roland wants between 65 to 75 million depending who's bidding. 

Will no one rid me of this turbulent prick ?
    (Roland Duchatelet not Sir Henry Irving)
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cafcwill said:

Might have been because of advice from lawyers, or perhaps it was because of the can of worms they discovered while doing DD re the ownership issues from the Jiminez era. 
    Others who know more about takeovers than I do, say clean title tends to be the norm. 
    Clean title would seem to be the sensible thing if you are the buyer but I wonder where Charlton would.be if those loans hadn’t been there. If new buyers ever do come along and take over the club let’s hope they have the financial backing behind them to build on what they acquired and not be planning to asset strip, make a short term profit and fuck off leaving the club in a far worse position. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Chizz said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cafcwill said:

Clean title would seem to be the sensible thing if you are the buyer but I wonder where Charlton would.be if those loans hadn’t been there. If new buyers ever do come along and take over the club let’s hope they have the financial backing behind them to build on what they acquired and not be planning to asset strip, make a short term profit and fuck off leaving the club in a far worse position. 
    Luckily for us there are basically no assets left to strip, which is probably the only thing stopping your hero from doing exactly that.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cafcwill said:

Precisely. If a bunch of rich arabs bought us then I doubt they would matter. An ever changing consortium who have taken 18 months to stump up with just the purchase monies just maybe looking to borrow against the club. 
  • After re reading Rolands update you can just tell he is just toying with us fans. Making fun of us. He will still be here next season. And he will delibratley leave us short with tranfers hoping we will get relegated.

Hes never wanted us to be in premiere league or championship. He never wanted promotion. I wouldn't be suprised if he is delibratley offering a poor contract to bowyer in hope he walks away. The takeover  dragging on. it's all a game to him to get back at fans.
  • As I posted elsewhere clean title means in the event of administration the former directors are not in front of the new investors chances of getting any money back

It could also be (or have been) a hidden element of the true asking price

• So what do we do about this? Simple question but seriously this is getting serious now!!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    cafcwill said:

Precisely. If a bunch of rich arabs bought us then I doubt they would matter. An ever changing consortium who have taken 18 months to stump up with just the purchase monies just maybe looking to borrow against the club. 
    Or not. 
  • edited June 2019
    I’ve head £33m agreed. Wasn’t told by Aussies so can’t guarantee this. 
  • edited June 2019
    So RD has lowered his price by quite a lot it seems. £33
  • Sponsored links:

• So RD has lowered his price by quite a lot it seems. £33
    I will go £40
  • JamesSeed said:
    As indicated on another site?
  • JamesSeed said:
    Airman said he turned down 45m last summer. We all know RD is crazy but he isn't crazy enough to suddenly accept 12m less.

Also i'm pretty sure he wouldn't have released yesterdays statement if he'd accepted a new bid.
  • edited June 2019
    If he has agreed £33M, which is doubtful if he turned down £45M, then presumably that is with the ex-director loans still outstanding ?

If I'm trying to be more than fair, I think £33M is a not an unreasonable sum. But I doubt it's true.
  • If he has agreed £33M, which is doubtful if he turned down £45M, then presumably that is with the ex-director loans still outstanding ?

If I'm trying to be more than fair, I think £33M is a not an unreasonable sum. But I doubt it's true.
    Where did £33m come from? I saw it mentioned by a former member of this site on the forum that shall not be named. Same person is saying we need the ex directors loans to be sorted for the deal to go through.
  • Do Rentokil have a Belgian branch?
  • stonemuse said:
    JamesSeed said:
    No, it’s a fella who sends me info that’s normally pretty good. Sometimes sends me info a few days before it appears on the OS etc. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    stonemuse said:
    JamesSeed said:
    No, it’s a fella who sends me info that’s normally pretty good. Sometimes sends me info a few days before it appears on the OS etc. 
    He’s told me who his source is, and if true, it’s entirely possible that £33m is the agreed figure, and it is the Directors loans holding things up (which I heard elsewhere, although he’s said the same thing.)
  • JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    stonemuse said:
    JamesSeed said:
    He’s told me who his source is, and if true, it’s entirely possible that £33m is the agreed figure, and it is the Directors loans holding things up (which I heard elsewhere, although he’s said the same thing.)
    So if £33M has been agreed and the ex-director loans are the sticking point.
    What is the agreement re the ex-director loans, because there must be one ? 
  • _MrDick said:
    My insider says that ‘there’s a meeting on Friday with RD with a group mainly based in Austria ... not sure if there they’re new or one of the existing groups that have shown

So @Airman Brown , if you were a betting man what odds would
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!