Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options
    CafcSCP said:

I’m not sure that JW would have come to the ground if he wasn’t confident he was right! He could have easily stayed away.
    Anyone know what the real attendance was yesterday?
    I don’t mean the official attendance.

For once the official attendance looked fairly accurate.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Quite a few important people in the West Stand today.

Excellent detective work Chizz.

The only two you got wrong were, it's Frankie Boyle not Ed Sheeran and Alan Curbishley was at West Ham yesterday.
  • Options
    Me thinks today could be the longest day.
  • Options

Think that will be Tuesday

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I now know that Jim has a very credible source and whatever has gone on in the past this takeover bid is serious. His source is NOT someone in the Aussie camp so whatever has come from them in the past can be discounted. The fact his source isn’t RD - as I originally assumed it might be - also puts to bed the idea he is being played by RD.

The gossip from within The Valley today is that it is NOT Gerard Murphy’s consortium involved, but that could still be a bluff.

Expect more news early in the week although whether it will be decisive I don’t know. I am hopeful but we are still dealing with a nutter.

I agree with you that I don't think we are being played by RD. Frankly a man who cannot be bothered to watch a team that he owns in four whole years is not going to be wasting his time trying to trick fans. However I don't think the fact that RD isn't JW's source "puts the idea to bed". For the conspiracy theorists, it just moves the source of the information one or more people down the line.
  • Options
    Stig said:

I now know that Jim has a very credible source and whatever has gone on in the past this takeover bid is serious. His source is NOT someone in the Aussie camp so whatever has come from them in the past can be discounted. The fact his source isn’t RD - as I originally assumed it might be - also puts to bed the idea he is being played by RD.

The gossip from within The Valley today is that it is NOT Gerard Murphy’s consortium involved, but that could still be a bluff.

Expect more news early in the week although whether it will be decisive I don’t know. I am hopeful but we are still dealing with a nutter.

I agree with you that I don't think we are being played by RD. Frankly a man who cannot be bothered to watch a team that he owns in four whole years is not going to be wasting his time trying to trick fans. However I don't think the fact that RD isn't JW's source "puts the idea to bed". For the conspiracy theorists, it just moves the source of the information one or more people down the line.
    There will be genuine third parties involved though. The EFL, lawyers, bankers, and probably a few more.

• Options
    Its imminent!
  • Options

All days are the same length. 24 hours.
  • Options

So we have a geezer on the tele walking down Floyd Road telling whoever who confronts him that Charlton are being sold next week.

F*** me!

And people are lapping it up making white sound more like an attention whore than a decent journo

People I trust that have long-standing associations with the club all to a man (either well prepped) or just down right sensible said approach with caution we have been here before . Nothing is done till it’s done and nothing is done right now
    To be fair the bloke was wearing a hat to make himself less obvious and all he was doing was engaging openly with people who spotted him and asked him questions. He knows it isn’t done yet.
    Not according to comments I have seen and read that have been attributed to him

Stating dates and hrs in some instances

Granted he had a hat on and was just walking to the game but he does love the attention and the lights on him
    No doubt he enjoys being a celebrity in football reporting terms, but everything is amplified through social media. In my experience of him he’s a genuine person and happy to chat to anyone.
    I think you have hit the nail on the head with your last post.
    He enjoys the job he’s paid to do and is happy to speculate and make broad believable statements that will create a good deal of interest for a short while.
    If he is right and we do get taken over next week he looks good and credible without putting a lot of flesh on the bones of his scoop. If the take over does not happen next his story will only be remembered by us Charlton supporters, and we will forget in time.

If we were a bigger club being taken over there would be none of this Chinese whispers and I know a secret crap. The names would be all over the media and Internet but in our latest take over rumour there is a Talksport presenter saying not much apart from what we all know, the club will be taken over. Of course it will be taken over at some point, the owner has stated he wants out. All that White has done is put the story out there and let the Internet put names to his story and some of them have been in jest, these being quoted for real now.

Of course I could be wrong but this thread started literally years ago and has 4.8m views, we still in the same place as the beginning.
    You’re saying both that there is a lack of information out there because we’re not a bigger club and that one national journalist who has taken a keen interest in the story is somehow to be discounted because some fans know some stuff too.

He has a source that no one else has, and that’s why he is putting the story out when the rest of the media is silent. His involvement is evidence of itself that something is happening.

It’s perfectly true that JW’s reputation doesn’t rest on getting this one right in a way that a local reporter’s would, but I’ve never met any journalist who enjoyed getting a story wrong, and the bigger the platform the less they like it.
    Maybe I’m a lot more sceptical than most but if I don’t let my expectations rise too high, I won’t get to disappointed when we are still in the same mess next weekend.

What I’m saying is, JW is the only journalist with the story and he isn’t saying much. Which is unusual for a Talk Sport presenter or any other tabloid journalist who make their living from sport stories. They don’t normally get all ethical, especially if true. The longer the story is live, the more chance of other journalists steeling the exclusive. As for getting a story wrong, they do it every day no matter how big their platform is.
    I’m also say, while I except there are some fans ITK, there are quite a few more that are not and some of them are wildly speculating as we have seen a multitude of times over the last few days.
    Please don’t think I want JW, you or anybody else to be wrong, I don’t. I want this cretin of a owner gone ASAP but we have been on the cusp of a take over many times before. No doubt you will remember the one where we nearly had one of the richest owners in the world and that was all over media, they all got that one wrong.
    The only thing I and 99% of the fan base know for certain is the club is up for sale and according to the club there is a buyer/s itching to complete. Which is been the same for a long time now.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    seth plum said:

I spoke to Mr White briefly.
    No way on earth was he attention seeking, he had a beany hat pulled down, his voice was the give away.
    From my brief conversation I remember he said 'if I can get it over the line for you I would', that the interview with Roland left him feeling 'exhausted'. I got the feeling that nothing is (yet????) certain by a long chalk.
    I shook his hand and thanked him for keeping the profile of the story up.
    Seemed genuine to me.

He clearly said that we can all go to The Valley on Saturday in the knowledge that Duchatalet is on his way out.
    Now YOU are saying YOU got “the feeling” (whatever that means?), it’s not certain by a long chalk.
    FFS......talk about pissing on the fireworks Seth.
    No wonder people are beginning to panic!

• Options

Stig said:

There will be genuine third parties involved though. The EFL, lawyers, bankers, and probably a few more.

Yeah sure, I'm not denying that. But whoever they may be, for someone that believes in conspiracy theories, the fact that the source is a third party does not logically rule out the possibility that RD is playing us - he could be getting someone else to do it vicariously*.

*Not that I believe this evil villain approach to our glorious leader.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

All days are the same length. 24 hours.
    Hmmm - what about the 27 occasions since 1972 that leap seconds have been added?

I'll get me coat.
    Or the days in October when the clocks go back
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's gonna be a let down. Let us face it, after all it's us right?
  • Options

So we have a geezer on the tele walking down Floyd Road telling whoever who confronts him that Charlton are being sold next week.

F*** me!

And people are lapping it up making white sound more like an attention whore than a decent journo

People I trust that have long-standing associations with the club all to a man (either well prepped) or just down right sensible said approach with caution we have been here before . Nothing is done till it’s done and nothing is done right now
    To be fair the bloke was wearing a hat to make himself less obvious and all he was doing was engaging openly with people who spotted him and asked him questions. He knows it isn’t done yet.
    Not according to comments I have seen and read that have been attributed to him

Stating dates and hrs in some instances

Granted he had a hat on and was just walking to the game but he does love the attention and the lights on him
    No doubt he enjoys being a celebrity in football reporting terms, but everything is amplified through social media. In my experience of him he’s a genuine person and happy to chat to anyone.
    I think you have hit the nail on the head with your last post.
    He enjoys the job he’s paid to do and is happy to speculate and make broad believable statements that will create a good deal of interest for a short while.
    If he is right and we do get taken over next week he looks good and credible without putting a lot of flesh on the bones of his scoop. If the take over does not happen next his story will only be remembered by us Charlton supporters, and we will forget in time.

If we were a bigger club being taken over there would be none of this Chinese whispers and I know a secret crap. The names would be all over the media and Internet but in our latest take over rumour there is a Talksport presenter saying not much apart from what we all know, the club will be taken over. Of course it will be taken over at some point, the owner has stated he wants out. All that White has done is put the story out there and let the Internet put names to his story and some of them have been in jest, these being quoted for real now.

Of course I could be wrong but this thread started literally years ago and has 4.8m views, we still in the same place as the beginning.
    You’re saying both that there is a lack of information out there because we’re not a bigger club and that one national journalist who has taken a keen interest in the story is somehow to be discounted because some fans know some stuff too.

He has a source that no one else has, and that’s why he is putting the story out when the rest of the media is silent. His involvement is evidence of itself that something is happening.

It’s perfectly true that JW’s reputation doesn’t rest on getting this one right in a way that a local reporter’s would, but I’ve never met any journalist who enjoyed getting a story wrong, and the bigger the platform the less they like it.
    Maybe I’m a lot more sceptical than most but if I don’t let my expectations rise too high, I won’t get to disappointed when we are still in the same mess next weekend.

What I’m saying is, JW is the only journalist with the story and he isn’t saying much. Which is unusual for a Talk Sport presenter or any other tabloid journalist who make their living from sport stories. They don’t normally get all ethical, especially if true. The longer the story is live, the more chance of other journalists steeling the exclusive. As for getting a story wrong, they do it every day no matter how big their platform is.
    I’m also say, while I except there are some fans ITK, there are quite a few more that are not and some of them are wildly speculating as we have seen a multitude of times over the last few days.
    Please don’t think I want JW, you or anybody else to be wrong, I don’t. I want this cretin of a owner gone ASAP but we have been on the cusp of a take over many times before. No doubt you will remember the one where we nearly had one of the richest owners in the world and that was all over media, they all got that one wrong.
    The only thing I and 99% of the fan base know for certain is the club is up for sale and according to the club there is a buyer/s itching to complete. Which is been the same for a long time now.
    I certainly understand why you are being cautious. @Airman Brown has also said that much could still go wrong and we all know it’s not done until it’s done but JW is only telling us what he knows or has heard. He can’t tell us any more than that regardless of being a Talk Sport Presenter. I’m not sure what people would prefer. For him to say nothing at all or do what’s he’s currently doing, in letting the fans know that he’s heard it’s on the cards. How can the poor bloke win.

• Options

seth plum said:

I spoke to Mr White briefly.
    No way on earth was he attention seeking, he had a beany hat pulled down, his voice was the give away.
    From my brief conversation I remember he said 'if I can get it over the line for you I would', that the interview with Roland left him feeling 'exhausted'. I got the feeling that nothing is (yet????) certain by a long chalk.
    I shook his hand and thanked him for keeping the profile of the story up.
    Seemed genuine to me.

He clearly said that we can all go to The Valley on Saturday in the knowledge that Duchatalet is on his way out.
    Now YOU are saying YOU got “the feeling” (whatever that means?), it’s not certain by a long chalk.
    FFS......talk about pissing on the fireworks Seth.
    No wonder people are beginning to panic!

I am sorry.
    What I report is true from my point of view and there were other witnesses to the conversation, the brief conversation.
    I felt the JW is not coming from a place of either certainty or confidence, but from a place of hope and the magic word 'should'. Of course the word 'should' is often followed by the word 'unless'.
    Mr White is doing what he thinks he can but essentially he is a fringe player, not the one making decisions, or the one with incontrovertible facts.

• Options

The problem you have when you start giving specifics with timings is that your held to them, something is happening how close or far is anyones guess and thats all it is pure guess work

JW may have the best contact of all as I belive he is getting fed by RD regardless of him saying publicly its the broker but we all know Rd is a liar and a loonie so even that info needs to be taken with caution, however its only been the info that has leaked from that side that has been spot on thus far

Henners and airman have both indicated that senior and knowledgeable people within the club have indicated progressive movement but even those folks are treading with caution

I dont think its the same aussies I think it may have sone of them in and that they may have broken away from the original pack and formed their own with new backer as I could never see the old format working in how it was being proposed too many players imo

Or its a streamlined version of the consortium

Whatever it is this feels slightly more promising and as such I am very optimistic that we may finally be heading round the finishing straight,

Finishing line in sight but a way to go to be reached

I think this is the most salient summing up to date. Fingers crossed come some point this week it will get pushed over the line
  • Options

Bowyer is trying to sign players, if he comes out and says that we’re getting a new owner, all the deals that we’re currently negotiating or will want to will up their asking price/wages. </blockquote

Do agree with this, Jonny Williams is not for “free” maybe helped by Palace due to his long standing but still he still commands a big wage.

That deal was done “before” the window opened, someone has fronted the money for this deal and it ain’t gonna be the Douchebag!

Bow is already talking about one or two more, again no way that old twunt is gonna have his wallet out.

The large number of our players out of contract in the summer this activity so early in the Jan window, it’s bloody well happening this time!

Now just Feck off Rolly there a good old twat!

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!